[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1460748967645.jpg (34 KB, 199x343) Image search: [Google]
1460748967645.jpg
34 KB, 199x343
So, I'm shit at art, but slightly less shit at writing, and I'd like to make a webcomic. Not for the purpose of getting popular or anything, but because It's been so long since I've created something I was proud of.

Since it'll likely not get views (But I need to put it up on the web because it's highly likely a paper copy will get destroyed within the next year) I was wondering if it'd be good practice to just start now while I know nothing? It'd essentially be both work and practice.
>>
>>2488078
Not gonna harm anyone if you do, but it may harm your self-pride if you want to put crappily done comics online.

Also why is the paper copy gonna get destroyed? On the run from the SS or something?
>>
Just go for it. Webcomics don't need to be well drawn to be funny, and if you wait until you're 'good enough' that's a sure way it will never get done.
And yes you will improve along the way.
>>
I've never seen a well drawn webcomic desu. i think the art is the least important part.
>>
>>2488098
http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comic/reunion

One of the few webcomics which I would say has pretty good art. Don't really read it too often though, doesn't quite hook me.
>>
>>2488078
look at http://soraka.blogspot.com

the writting is meh
the art is meh
but as long as it panders to the right community it'll get praises

you can always improve the story or art, you can't choose your audience so don't let that be the last thing on the list to consider
>>
>>2488096
Haha, nah. Moving seems to be in the forecast this year, though. Possibly twice, at that.

>>2488097
>if you wait until you're 'good enough' that's a sure way it will never get done.

This is what I'm afraid of, mostly because I'm aware I've fallen into it before.
>>
>>2488098
http://megatokyo.com/strip/1435
i used to like this quite a bit when i was younger, the best western "manga" i could find since it just uses the art style without resorting to generic tropes. the writing seems quite hit or miss since theres a load of le epic pwnzor humor that did not age well and its also one characters entire gimmick that he still has to this day
>>
>>2488078
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t4xS2PqFFA
>>
>>2488101
>you can't choose your audience so don't let that be the last thing on the list to consider

That's really bad advice. The only way to do a webcomic and not burn out immediately is if you write and draw a story you actually want to tell. Comics are incredibly hard work, even if your art sucks. It's not quite as easy as doing some fanart here and there and if you have absolutely no interest in the story you are telling because you decided to pander to an audience you are no part of, you will burn out incredibly quick.

Not to mention that it is always very noticable when an artist doesn't care at all about his work and just does it to pander to an audience. Many of those very successful webcomics with shit tier art who you think are only successful because they pander to a specific audience have been around for many years, some even for over a decade. Started by highschool faggots who put zero planning and thought into it when they began, who were genuinely into the dumb shit their webcomic was about and organically grew a fanbase and became popular with certain groups of people.
>>
>>2488199
>That's really bad advice.
it's really good advice when EVERYONE tells you to draw whatever you find interesting to the point that you forget that you have to make it interesting for someone other than yourself
>>
>>2488226
Only if you're trying to monetize it.

And if you're trying to monetize your art, making a webcomic is about the worst way to go about it. So just draw what you find interesting, because the only way you have the tiniest chance of making something real, monetarily, of that webcomic, is if you keep it up solidly for years. Good luck not killing yourself if you try doing it with something you aren't personally interested in.
>>
>>2488226
That usually has the exact opposite effect though. If you write something that you yourself would enjoy reading, then you are bound to find an audience of people with similar taste that enjoy your work. Provided you are a somewhat decent writer of course. However if you aren't even interested in your own work, how can you expect others to be? You really think your own lack of interest, knowledge and enthusiasm won't be blatantly obvious in the final product?

For every audience you want to pander to, there are artists and writers who actually are interested in that shit themselves and it shows in their work. They are the ones who get the attention, not the guy who is desperately trying to fake it.
>>
>>2488078
>It'd essentially be both work and practice.
You don't say!
>>
>>2488288
It's an easy trap to fall into thinking like that, because it's easy to forget how shitty taste average people have and how bad they are spotting low quality. If you're someone with the creative ability to make something, chances are you're head and shoulder above the masses in terms of intellectual refinement, so if you make something for yourself you are in fact making something for a small niche audience. Not that it isn't a legitimate strategy that can work, but most successful products aren't made like that.

There's a reason Hollywood keeps cranking out the same watered down garbage year after year - because it works. Mainstream audiences lap it all up and billions of revenue is created.
>>
File: cf.jpg (1 MB, 1300x1024) Image search: [Google]
cf.jpg
1 MB, 1300x1024
>>2488078

Dive in head first, learn how to swim as you go!
Comics are great practice for compostition and perspective in scenes, as well as mental gymnastics in terms of how you can best show/tell your story.

Here's the newest page of Crowface; too lazy to make a dedicated comic thread.
>>
>>2488535
>Comics are great practice for compostition and perspective in scenes, as well as mental gymnastics in terms of how you can best show/tell your story.
I can't stress this point enough. Doing comics is just a huge improvement road to take.

By the way, that latest page is fucking god-tier mate. I didn't come on /ic/ recently and didn't saw your stuff in a little while, glad you're still going strong.
>>
>>2488078
Look up what XKCD, Homestuck and Womp! quality was/is like.
Just have an idea and let people know about it.
>>
>>2490574

Thank you! Another new page in a few days hopefully. I have all of them posted on Tapastic.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.