[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drawing animals in the past
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: eagle-8.jpg (205 KB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
eagle-8.jpg
205 KB, 900x563
How did the artists of the past draw animals correctly if they didn't have a template like a photo?

Did they just watch animals for a long time and sketched stuff up until they got it right or what? How did they manage to capture the anatomy with e.g. eagle fluttering wings?
>>
>>2486343

I assume they either studied dead animals or stuffed animals.
>>
>>2486343
(have someone) Kill it and take it home.
>>
>>2486343

They didn't. No artist could draw the limbs of a galloping horse correctly before photography. Some animal movement is possible to study and capture without the aid of photography, but when it comes to really fast actions it's simply not possible.
>>
>>2486362
Really? How were paintings and sculptures created with those depictions? Or is this some kind of Berenstain delusion and there really isn't any hyper-realistic painting/drawing/ sculpture before photography?
>>
>>2486343
There are certain tricks they used to teach that aren't as common nowadays. Say you want to draw a chicken. Find a live one, your sketchbook, and a pencil. Ideally you'll have one strong light source and a lot of ambient light; a clearing in a thick forest is ideal. Pick the chicken up and examine it closely, noting little details like how the small feathers in the facial area compare to the tail feathers. While still holding the chicken, make direct eye contact with it and deny Jesus as your personal savior. Immediately kill it with the pencil. You can now draw chickens perfectly, but only with that pencil. This works for any creature that walks the earth, even man. The old masters could get away with a lot before the advent of modern forensics, and this is the biggest reason why modern art is so terrible.
>>
>>2486375
You had me going there for a second, anon
>>
>>2486362
Nobody around with a photograph to prove they didn't draw it correctly either, so the point is moot.
>>
>>2486394

what
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.