[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mural Work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
hey everyone,

so I talked to my friends dad the other day and he had informed me he owned an auto shop, and wants a bright colorful mural on the side of it.. I have some experience of doing murals around my city, and so he asked me if I would be interested in doing it.. and I told him if I could have complete creative control over it I would do it for just the cost of materials.
>fast forward a week later,

>hey anon, are you still interested in doing that mural for us?
>Yeah! definitely.
>okay I want a bridge made out of exhaust pipes and have the words custom exhaust, discount auto detailing, etc.
>uhh.. whats your budget for something of this stuff?
>oh you said you would do it for just the cost of materials :)
>yeah if I had complete creative control over it, I would just do it for the cost of materials.
>well you do.. I just want to have all of those things involved in it also.

worst.

now I have went from being excited about having a giant canvas, to possibly getting stuck painting a crappy old pipe made exhaust filled bridge on the side of a dingy auto shop.

>pic is just of a mural, no one in particular.
>>
>>2486017
Just treat it as a challenge and a way to improve your skill. Set rules actualy expand your imagination not limit it, be creative.
>>
>>2486017
do you know how much pussy you'd get and how great you'd feel about yourself if you could point at something on the street and say yeah I did that? don't pass that up
>>
>>2486037

I already do them around the city, so its not like its going to be the first step for more jobs around the city for then.

this just involves doing an entire wall, for free... for how the customer wants it.. I cant really even use it in a portfolio because its literally just going to be a billboard ad.
>>
Fuck that. Tell them to either pay you because the baker doesn't bake bread for exposure either or no deal.
>>
>>2486017
>oh you said you would do it for just the cost of materials :)
don't be a sucker. it's a massive investment of your time. you should be charging in the thousands.
>>2486037
do you know how many opportunities to get "free publicity" a decent artist is going to be offered? it's a fucking scam for free work.
>>
>a bridge made out of exhaust pipes

tell him to drop less acid and go fuck himself
>>
>>2486017
Fuck that shit.
>>
>>2486063
post yer work?
>>
>>2486017
Whoa, that was a trip, I live like a couple blocks away from that mural, took me aback to see it on /ic/.
>>
>>2486017
this sounds recent enough that you still have time to back out so.... do so. just say things came up and you're suddenly really busy (doing shit that actually pays, maybe) and you don't have the time.
>>
>>2486672
Why lie?

Just straight up tell him that complete creative control means COMPLETE creative control and if he doesn't like that then tell him how much you're charging.
>>
>>2486717
mostly because he said it's his friend's dad and I assume he doesn't want to potentially strain the relationship. not that OP wouldn't be in the right if he simply told the person to fuck off, but sometimes the ensuing drama isn't worth it.
>>
>>2486742
>>you can't correct someones mistake when setting up a project, without it ruining a relationship or being seen as telling them to fuck off

nigger just correct them on their mistake, it's not going to ruin anything...they'll probably be thankful if anything that you've explained it to them.

do people not realize that by dodging such things and not correcting someone when they're out of the loop on what "complete creative control" is, they're setting their-selves up for even MORE drama to unfold than what would occur if you simply...you know...told them the truth?

this is why such people exist, because no one gives them a chance and simply explains things to them.

instead you've got lame fuckers who lie through their teeth because they can't stop for a few seconds and think of a friendly sentence or two that could help clear things up for your client.

don't be lazy, fuckers.
>>
>>2486017

Your first mistake was working for free. From there on it's all downhill. You're no longer going to be treated as a working professional, but rather like that kid that like to draw. OFCOURSE he is not going to take you seriously.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.