[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just a question. I've been drawing a long while with mixed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: asdf.jpg (99 KB, 814x901) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
99 KB, 814x901
Just a question. I've been drawing a long while with mixed results. Then I came here, went on the beginner link, and downloaded Andrew Loomis' stuff. Started with 'Fun with a Pencil' and I was just wondering if this is the best book to begin with. It seems pretty basic to be honest, I don't really want to draw egg-headed ratmen for the next week to be honest.
>>
>>2486002
If the basics are what you're missing you should spend a huge amount of time drawing either egg-headed ratmen or just basic forms and shapes (spheres, cubes, ellipses etc.) in space which is the same shit. Loomis just assumed people would find the former less boring.
Since you didn't post anything I assume your drawings are bad enough that you have pretty much 0 basics so yeah.
>>
>>2486002

"Fun with Pencil" is worst Loomis book. Seriously, you should go to beginner thread or lurk a bit more since questions like that are asked nearly daily.

Actual beginner's books should be Dodson "Keys to Drawing", "Perspective made Easy", "How to Draw" by Scott Robertson + supplement it with drawabox.com and Proko videos.

Proko is ok because he distills in his max 10 minute videos a lot of knowledge, also from Loomis.

If you really want to go Loomis route, start with "Drawing Heads and Hands".

Also - a lot of knowledge here is basic. It also means that you probably lack most of it. If you really are think you are skilled painter/artist, then what you need is analyzing where you lack and what you want to improve. Usually bad form and construction is responsible for lots of mistakes. There's lineweight problems though also. In painting Richard Schmid puts a very big emphasis on controlling your edges and colors. Especially edges.
>>
>>2486002
>I don't really want to draw egg-headed ratmen for the next week to be honest.

Then don't. I've never read fun with a pencil, but the very page you posted says "If your shapes do not match mine it doesn't matter, any shape will do. Get the working principle"

This seems to be a great exercise to just get a basic feeling for shape design, get your creativity going, have fun and learn about 3D forms. Don't copy his rat men, but draw whatever shapes you think would look cool as faces. If you have absolutely zero interest in shape design and stylization, then skip this and move on to whatever book teaches you about the stuff you are interested in. It's not like reading a book is a commitment that forces you to stay on one chapter for a week+.
>>
File: Blook Butt.jpg (229 KB, 1451x571) Image search: [Google]
Blook Butt.jpg
229 KB, 1451x571
>>2486002
>>2486009

>It seems pretty basic...I don't really want to draw egg-headed ratmen for the next week to be honest.

>"Fun with Pencil" is worst Loomis book

Looks like we got couple of white belts that think they're ready to take on the 5-Dan.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.