[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1107x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1107x1280
Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Please can someone recommend me a desktop PC. Preferably something factory built. The only things I want to run onit for are cintiq drivers, Photoshop and maybe tvpaint. I'm too much of a pleb to ask /g/.
>>
is loomis a meme or not? I'm too fucking newfag to actually work this out.
>>
>>2486001
look for something involing i5-i7 from 4000-6000 pc series, 8gb ram and 960gtx. Also you might want to get an ssd since they are cheap these days get samsung 850/60 250gb.
>>
>>2486112
The same way that ss is a meme on /fit/
>>
>>2486123
Gotchya, cheers
>>
How do I stop sweating so much while I sketch? I swear my hands become waterworks and it makes the pencil turn slippery...
>>
I used to could draw for hours while staying calm but now I get frustrated and discouraged after the first mistake. How do I get over this?
>>
>>2486113
make that 16gb of memory, I had to up grade my desktop due to the fact PScc runs out of memory if you use too many layers or use the 3D feature
>>
>>2486532
>>2486113
How important is the graphics card though if I'm not going to be doing any 3D stuff?
>>
>>2486544
for ps, it doesn't matter at all

no idea for tv paint

for illustrator any 4 year old card will do

now, if you do 3d rendering or after effects, you better get the best you can get. also if you're interested in those new neural networks graphic filters everybody's talking about.
>>
>>2486544
if you're NOT an HD video editor or 3D modeler, any cheap multi-HDMI or display port graphics card will do so you can hook up a cintiq and a sRGB IPS monitor at the same time. I use a cheap gigabyte GTX750ti with 2gb of gddr5 memory.
>>
>>2486001
Is there anywhere I can find anatomy references with models with specific body types or features?
>>
what is the usual page size ratio for comics and manga?
>>
How do I commission people to do some drawings for me?
>>
File: 1460085731036.jpg (13 KB, 318x345) Image search: [Google]
1460085731036.jpg
13 KB, 318x345
Tech pleb. To do big photoshop files (like 10k x 10k) do you need a good RAM or processor?
>>
>>2486113
>>2486532
>>2486544
>>2486555
>>2486575
>>>/g/
>>
>>2486649
That doesn't exist, you'll just have to search in the usual sites. You could also just hire a model for yourself, there is some choice to be had there. At Posespace you can pick skin colour, that's the only thing I know.

>>2487216
You ask the person you want to do the drawing for you if they do commissions.

>>2486509
You could check with a doctor if you don't have anything. It's hard to tell why.
>>
>>2486001
I appreciate the Balthus.
>>
Being drawing for 3 years in collage, i never could pick the habit of drawing on a daily basis. Now that i was operated i have free time. How do you push yourselves to draw? Any tips?
Thank you
>>
>>2487242
You've been drawing for 3 years in college yet never pushed yourself? Do you mean you were a casual sketcher?
>>
>>2486555
So that means I should go with either a good gaming graphics card or a heavy-duty workstation graphics card?
>>
>>2487248
Yes. But i want to try to get more serious about it
>>
>>2487232
was he a pedo?
>>
>>2487232
My fav painter
>>
File: 7e3.jpg (30 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
7e3.jpg
30 KB, 600x750
>>2487314
>be a pedo
>get away with it because you are a counter-culture icon
>>
>>2486509
Maybe it's concentration?

I sweat buckets as soon as I start oil painting.
>>
Are there any good art courses online on sites like coursera?
>>
>>2487314
He never admitted to being one, so nobody knows.
>>
>>2487393

It just takes one google search to confirm. Are you really that thick? His art spells out P E D O like a bright pink neon sign in a dark alley.
If it walks like a duck...
>>
>>2487443
>It just takes one google search to confirm.
To confirm he has never admitted to being a pedophile. Everything is just speculation.
If you are so certain, you could probably give me a trustworthy source that says Balthus admitted to being a pedophile.

My attraction, like other pedophiles, focuses on the purity of a child. With non-pedophiles on maturity, or equal partner.
Eroticism is something mature, not pure. He recognized there was some shock value to it.
Was it really made because of an attraction for children? I think it could go either way.
>>
is there anything wrong with doing 90% studies and 10% your own stuff?
>>
>>2487483
>doing 90% studies and 10% your own stuff?
If you do this /ic/ will shit on you for trying to steal other artists work
>>
>>2487486
how is that even possible? what i mean is do a shit ton of studies to git gud at whatever your studying then apply to some shit every once and a while. just only 10% of the time.
>>
>>2487486
>>2487491
wait are you trying to say thats so effective you'll legitimately git so good /ic/ will think youre stealing when you make your own original work?
>>
How do I into skin tones with acrylic paints?

I was hoping to do a flat graphic style of a couple portrait and environment paintings but I'm struggling like hell to get it to work with acrylics (Golden, if the brand matters at all)

Currently mixing a cad light red and a cad dark yellow and then desaturating it until I get a cream-ish colour that's leaning a bit into the yellow more than red. It just looks so... boring? Should I just say fuck it to the flat graphic style and just blend other colours into it to build up form?

What hues should I be using for shadows for a pink-isk skin tone that's got a yellow under tone?
>>
>>2487583
if you can recommend artists that work in a flat style in traditional media that would be swell too.
>>
how do I improve on accuracy exactly?

what kind of exercises do I need to do?
>>
>>2487341
Hm that sounds like a valid reason. It happens mostly during exams, playing videogames and drawing
You find a way to prevent it or at least make you sweat less?
>>
>>2487727
You can buy a glove and cut it so it looks like a smudgeguard
>>
>>2487483

>How do you test the knowledge you gained from your studies if you don't carry it over to original work?

That doesn't really sound like good studying to me.

Think of your "studies" time as legit "study" in an academic class in a college setting.

You also have homework in your class, quizzes and tests ( this makes up your original work percentage.)

So 90% study 10% original work is like cramming before a final (or big original piece.) Without having done most of the homework for the term.

You can do it, sometimes pass, but you shouldn't and you're really just regurgitating memorized flashcards instead of internalizing knowledge.
>>
i like using mechanical pencils when i draw, should i instead use normal pencils instead, is there something im losing for not using normal pencils?
>>
>>2490101
no, there are some in the comic/manga/game design industry that exclusively use mechanical pencils
>>
>>2486509

Are you pressing your fingers close together? That'll trap heat and increase sweating. Try looser grips, so your fingers aren't touching each other.
>>
>>2490101

Depends what you want to draw. Mechanical pencils are great for line art, since you can keep the line smooth but vary the weight a little, with a lot of control. But if you want to do real rendering, pencils are the way to go.
>>
How do you make a print from woodcut?
Do you just stamp it down?
What kind of wood is good to use?

General woodcut redpill would be also really appreciated.
>>
>>2486001
Those are some cute panties but the girl's head is a fucking brick
>>
how do I tell the difference between real progress and manic delusion? how do I tell the difference between pure shit paintings and depressive episodes?
>>
>>2493922
Put your work aside, stuff it in a drawer or box for at least two weeks, then when the time is up look at it again and see what you think then.

Draw in the mean time, of course.

The best way to self awareness is to distance yourself from, well, yourself, and the best way to do that is to visit who you were in the past. Do this, and you'll know if you've actually improved or if you're actually shit.
>>
Drawing for me is simply a hobby. From time to time I try drawing different shit: faces, vehicles, poses, buildings, weapons, clothes, but only gain satisfaction from the result. If it comes out too fucked up I gain nothing.
Only recently found out about and realized that I'm stuck with symbol drawing, which made it seem even more hopeless for me.
Art isn't an incredibly serious matter of life for me, it is not my future profession, but I definitely want to take it lot further.
The main question: is symbol drawing THAT much of a burden that my drawings will always be those of a sixth-grader, and what is the most efficient way to kill it off?
>>
>>2493956
Draw a mess of cubes
>>
>>2493956
>and what is the most efficient way to kill it off?
To draw as you see things, not as what your mind interprets them to be. The best books on this subject are Keys to Drawing and Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, check the book thread.
>>
Is Scott Robertson's How to Draw with a black cover a new edition?
>>
>>2493922

Step back and assess yourself.
Think about what you struggled with and how you overcame it (or whether you just avoided it or farted through it and said 'good enough').
Think about the things you understand more now that you didn't understand as much when you started.
Think about what you were confident with when you started and whether you were accurate in that.
Think about what felt good or bad and why, how you responded to it and whether it was a good decision.

Think about whatever you were doing a month ago. Could you have done back then every single thing you just did now, to the same standard, with the same ease? If not, congratulations. No matter what you fucked up, no matter how many mistakes you made, no matter how frustrated you became, at the end of the day you've improved.
And those fuck ups are not fuck ups anymore, now they're lessons in how art works, how you operate, and how to optimise yourself. And if you accept them as lessons rather than shameful stains, they probably won't be so stark anymore when you look back on this moment NEXT month.
>>
>>2493956

Symbol drawing isn't some disease that marks you for life, it's just a natural beginner stage that probably literally every human being who's ever picked up a pencil has gone through.

If you want to git gud, you still have to go through the same basic information as aspiring pros. You just have the luxury of taking it easy.
Read books on how to draw, learn to construct forms, generally absorb instruction and apply it to real life observation. All vague and easier said than done, but art is a hell of a thing to learn, and it'll take fucking forever to get it no matter what your goals.
Just be aware that the mountain doesn't get any smaller or smoother just because you're not in the race to the top. If you actually want to get better, you have pretty much infinite challenge and problem solving ahead of you. But the challenge and problem solving is half the fun of a hobby, and you're not even on the clock to get through it.
>>
When drawing a line, where should I be looking? At the destination? Trying to see the whole line? Following the nib with my eyes?
>>
File: 1451158217024.png (52 KB, 346x360) Image search: [Google]
1451158217024.png
52 KB, 346x360
how the fuck do I imaginary box a bent arm? If it's a straight arm then its two tubes, but what the fuck happens when they bend? Are they supposed to overlap eachother? Should I draw an imaginary ball for the shoulder joint?
>>
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 833x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 833x960
How do I study using reference?

I. E: I am shit drawing eyes, but downloading pictures of eyes and trying to copy or trace or breaking them into shapes is not helping me at all.

I can't draw from immigration, and studying references is not helping me.

Sorry for bad English.
>>
>>2495240
I find it useful imaging the joint like Lego Bionicles or any doll like barbie or action man with a sphere inside.

Boxes are helpful with perspective, when you start going into details and form, spheres and curves come into play
>>
how do I unlearn a bad habit?
It's hard to do fundamentals when I keep falling back into the same crutch.
>>
As an aspiring concept artist I often struggle to put my vision on paper because I can't draw fast enough before the idea fades. Should I just try to scribble faster or buy some color pencils/crayons/paint to block out the form? pic not mine
>>
>>2495269
learn how to draw, you know, the meme that we always said. The things with references is that you can only use them correctly if you know how to draw the basics in advance, then you use the reference to solve problems that your mind can't solve by itself, like a pose, a expression, clothes, whatever, because if you don't, you just going to trace the images or copy them, and always your work gonna look inconsistent
>>
>>2486001
How do I cultivate discipline?
>>
I have a rather odd request. Is there a drawing tablet that can you draw the picture directly on it, link to the computer, and be mobile?I haven't a clue where to look.
>>
Can someone explain to a complete newbie why drawing with your arm is so vastly preferred to drawing with your wrist?
>>
As a complete amateur where on the internet is the best place to post all my shit so I can receive exposure?
>>
>>2495754
Your sketching will be looser and it will improve your speed. Drawing with your wrist is good for smaller details, but solely drawing with it will damage it over time.
>>
I'm a newfag at digital art, what kind of tools or settings should I be using?

I use the pen at medium density for line drawing, but what should I be using for rendering? What's the best way to organize my layers?
>>
>>2495191
For me, I imagine the whole line on the paper and place it down as quickly I can. The faster the better.
>>
File: Tablet.jpg (191 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Tablet.jpg
191 KB, 1200x675
I've been getting problems with my old Genius PenSketch lately. For some reason, my pen keeps drawing a line even though the pen isn't touching the tablet. Besides, it randomly changes the pressure sensitivity. I don't understand, it used to work perfectly. I've already installed the latest driver version, but it continues with the issue. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this problem?
>>
>>2495269

You need to understand construction first. If you're having trouble using photo references, just mirror reference yourself. It's easier to successfully translate a 3D image into a 2D drawing, than to translate a 2D image into a 3D visualisation then back into 2D drawing.
>>
>>2495653

Draw thumbnail sketches.
>>
>>2495760

Tumblr's probably the most mainstream venue right now, but it might depend a little on what you're drawing and what sort of exposure you want.
>>
What kind of construction methods you guys use? I mean 1/2/3 point constructions are simple and straightforward but what do you use for multi-point constructions? Just eyeball it? What if you want to work accurately, do you have a good method?
>>
File: inktober_03.png (67 KB, 414x407) Image search: [Google]
inktober_03.png
67 KB, 414x407
What's good paper for fineliners, on which the pen doesn't get stuck when drawing lines and which doesn't drain the ink too fast?
Currently using disposable copymachine paper because its cheap for line practice, but my pen keeps getting stuck when drawing.
>>
how do i draw with value instead of lines?
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-22+at+08.25.52).jpg (61 KB, 534x740) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-22+at+08.25.52).jpg
61 KB, 534x740
Even just after an hour of digital drawing I start to feel pain around this area of the thumb. No such thing happens when drawing traditionally.

Suggestion?
>>
>>2496229
I'd like a balance between exposure and critique, from what I've heard Tumblr seems a little too hugboxy
>>
>>2496627
Raise your pressure sensitivity
>>
Is my hand supposed to touch the paper when I'm drawing? Or am I supposed to hold it in the air and only touch the paper with the pencil?
>>
>>2496843
Up to you, proko has a video on holding your pencil. Really depeds on the size of the work imo
>>
after years of drawing with paper, pencil and all that other garbage, i finally got a tablet and jesus fuck this is hard

how long does it take to get use to it?
>>
>>2496862
took me a really long time. my best recommendation would be to start by doing gestures with your tablet, it really helps transfer what you know over to digital.
>>
>>2490152
>>2491001
Is there any specific brand that you would recommend or would some cheap pentels be good?
>>
The more followers I get, the harder it is the post. I know they're following because they like the art in the first place but, this doesn't help. What's my problem and how do I fix this shit?
>>
File: IMG_6053.png (167 KB, 755x748) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6053.png
167 KB, 755x748
Are these worth it?

http://idrawgirls.com/how_to_draw_mecha-design.html

If not, any free alternative?

Drawing cool-looking mechas is fucking hard. I can only draw lame ass pieces of crap.

How can I draw cool tier mecha robots? Lurking /m/ is not working.
>>
File: 8871327832781823.png (1 MB, 1280x1805) Image search: [Google]
8871327832781823.png
1 MB, 1280x1805
Hello friends, how do i replicate the half tones in this image.
>>
File: 1453256537558.jpg (990 KB, 1448x2048) Image search: [Google]
1453256537558.jpg
990 KB, 1448x2048
I need some help finding this AMAZING artist that was posted some months ago, his colours and rendering were better than Pigeon

One drawing was a head shot of David (statue) with the head cut into layers horizontally and a cube implanted in it, it had this weird symbol in the foreground
Another was of this mechanical prosthetic arm with greens growing all over it, again a weird symbol in the foreground
That's all I can remember from his gallery, pls help
>>
>>2497253
If it's this pic you're talking about, look up Sachin Teng.
>>
>>2497287
Yes oh shit thank you. Guess I didn't remember it as well as I thought I did
>>
>>2496907
Personally, I use a 5mm Mars Micro 775 which I'm very happy with. It's pretty much all I've ever used though, all I have to compare it to is a generic "cheapest one on the shelf" mechanical pencil I used a few years ago, which I didn't really like.
>>
SO I've got so many books on the subject downloaded. I want to know the first steps to learning anatomy/drawing people. I've heard there isn't a wrong choice between say, Loomis, Vilppu and Hampton, but who would be best for a beginner? I've been drawing for a long time but I've never put any real time or effort into learning how to properly draw people.

Life drawing is out of the question, I've got no cash for it.
>>
i cant into color what do
i tried soft pastels, water color pencils, watercolors, wax pencils
i do enjoy graphite drawing the most but i want some color in my work too
>>
File: 213231.png (56 KB, 963x521) Image search: [Google]
213231.png
56 KB, 963x521
Is studying fighting game sprites a good idea?
pic rel
>>
does modeling scene in 3d to reference light and perspective and painting/tracing over it considered bad practice?
>>
>>2497524
NO RULES
JUST TOOLS

If it makes the final product look better, it sounds like a good idea.
>>
File: 9-10.gif (114 KB, 424x810) Image search: [Google]
9-10.gif
114 KB, 424x810
>>2497482

Depends on your reason for doing so. If you want to create pixel art/sprites then definitely. If you just want to draw stylized shit, yeah, you'll still be able to learn a lot about dynamic poses and such. Pixel art in general is a great way to learn many aspects of the fundamentals, but yeah if your main goal in art is to paint landscapes in oil your time could probably be spent better elsewhere. Keep in mind that many fighting game sprites where drawn first on paper by traditional animators and then traced digitally like pic related. Also check out artists like Bengus if you haven't already.
>>
>>2497547
I want to study sprites because it's very convenient. Uriel's sprites show the whole body in a variety of different ways and it's one color only making it easy to study colors. I also really like fighting game sprites in general. Im concerned if studying an idealized human body will make me unable to draw normal humans in the future.
>>
how do you use the reference properly ?
i mean , in concept art i've seen alot of people using 3d models (pose-models) and tracing over them . I also saw alot of mangakas doing that in MangaStudio.
Unless i make a anatomy study , is it okey if i trace the pose with the condition to understand what i'm drawing ? I have the basics and a little bit of anatomy knowledge but it still kinda takes me a while to get the pose right and it's frustrating .
Can somebody explain how to use reference properly without the guilt feeling of cheating ?
>>
Is drawabox /ic/ approved? I notice it's absent from the sticky.
>>
>>2497654
it's okey
>>
>>2497482
>>2497611
Remember the aspect ratio when learning from Capcom sprites. The sprites were drawn to be displayed in stretched oblong pixels, so if you are doing regular drawings based on them, you are gonna have to multiply the vertical resolution by rougly 1.29 in order to get correct proportions.
>>
>>2497345

What's the problem, that the mediums aren't feeling good, or that you just plain don't understand colour? Because switching mediums won't do shit for the latter.
>>
>>2497654

The sticky is a piece of shit and incredibly outdated. It's basically just a cruel hazing at this point.
Drawabox is an /ic/ staple fast approaching Loomis status. Honestly it could pretty much replace the entire sticky.
>>
>>2497656
>>2497678
Thanks guys. I'll get on and do the lessons while the guy is still keen to check work and give feedback. Really nice of him to be doing it for free.
>>
>>2497675
i just dont understand colors
i keep staring at the colorwheel but i just dont get it
shading is probably the worst
>>
>>2497715

Colours are a massive, massive topic. Staring at a colour wheel won't do shit for you, you need a book.
>>
>>2497716
Books are placebos for success.
>>2497715
Study and replicate other's art with focus on color.
Only color theory you need to know are the basics.
>>
How do I clean Huion tablets without them melting or some shit?
>>
>>2486001
4th gen i5 would be enough for you, if you want a GPU don't go past the gtx 750ti. 8GB DDR3 is enough, SSD drive would be great for you. You're using a Cintiq so you don't need to spend massive amounts on a display.

Build it yourself, it's easy (follow youtube guide) and you'll save $200-500
>>2486113
>960gtx
kek
>>
File: 1443882824514.webm (1 MB, 932x714) Image search: [Google]
1443882824514.webm
1 MB, 932x714
How do I into free hand two point perspective drawing? When I try to draw a box in 2pp without rulers, when I analyze it I notice that the two points are not on the same horizon line.
>>
when doing straight line exercises with a fine liner, should you always turn the page to find the best angle do draw, or should one try to make straight lines in every angle?
should i also turn the page when i draw boxes in perspective for exercises with horizontal line and vanishing point?
>>
>>2497912
The drawabox site mentions this, says there's nothing wrong with rotating the page to make it easier. I guess there's a choice, either rotate the page (faster) or train yourself to draw and any angle (slower but probably more beneficial in the long run).

I tend to draw lines anywhere from 0 degrees to 90 degrees, anything outside that arc I rotate the page.
>>
>>2497918
thanks anon, i think that answered it for me.
>>
>>2497907
Fucking gross. She has hair all over her arms, that's fucking disgsuting how the fuck does she not shave them?
>>
File: 055 - 1628490467.jpg (273 KB, 1166x1742) Image search: [Google]
055 - 1628490467.jpg
273 KB, 1166x1742
>>2497961
idk
>>
>>2496845
I watched it and he does touch the paper. But he heavily promotes overhand grip, and it took a huge amount of effort to learn tripod grip (I self-taught "fucked up painful grip" as a child), so I don't want to learn yet another grip. And I only use mechanical pencils, so overhand grip seems pointless. Any reason I shouldn't continue using tripod?
>>
File: tumblr_n87159JKnw1sbr7mgo3_1280.jpg (154 KB, 1037x1549) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n87159JKnw1sbr7mgo3_1280.jpg
154 KB, 1037x1549
>>2497978
oh god shes literally perfect
>>
>>2495269
Where can I get more pics like this with lots of poses of single person.
If I can search them using Google or similar what are the search terms, since I'm not native speaker. Thanks guys!
>>
Is it a bad idea to copy/study portraits of an artist if I'm trying to get better at drawing faces? Do I risk bad habits or something?
>>
>>2486001
Where can i find a thread/place to discover more about the 'cutting' edge contemporary art. Sort of like an underground art community. I use cutting edge loosely btw, since a lot of modern art is vapid shit.
>>
>>2486517
You are just going to have to force it. I get periods of that feel too and the only thing that helps is to first take a lil' break (have a coffee or something with a bit of energy boost), build up determination, take a deep breath and force it! If you just can get over that hill, it'll get easier for a while after that.
>>
File: vampirehungerstrike.jpg (320 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
vampirehungerstrike.jpg
320 KB, 500x700
>>2487583
Have a look at how this guy builds up skin tones. He uses oils, but paints kinda rough, so his technique is simple ti analyse and translate in to acrylics. (I'd link to his DA, but he sadly vanished from there recently)
https://www.pinterest.com/robkors/vampirehungerstrike-paintings/
>>
>>2498674
And now I feel like an idiot, I completely missed the "flat graphic style" part of your post!
>>
>>2496300
Bristol board.
>>
File: Storytelling.jpg (498 KB, 2063x3150) Image search: [Google]
Storytelling.jpg
498 KB, 2063x3150
I have a question relates storytelling comics,
Which of the two versions is the correct/best?
A or B?
>>
>>2498689
keit-ai always finds a way
>>
File: LamiaColours.png (480 KB, 613x700) Image search: [Google]
LamiaColours.png
480 KB, 613x700
I'm planning to paint a miniature from Dark Sword based on this pic. I decided to colour the original sketch to have a good idea of what am I going to paint, but I'm a bit stuck.

Stones will be a yellow-gray sandy colour most likely. I don't know if the underbelly will look good if I paint it gold on top of the sandy rocks. I'm also torn between a golden skin on the fleshy part, light flesh tone, brown or something odd like blue or purple.

Golden parts will be painted in a non-metallic technique.

>>2498689
B is correct. A person that is shown on one side should remain on it throughout the scene unless they are shown moving around or you want to throw the audience on a loop. Watch a few movies and notice how this is kept between takes.
>>
File: guardian lamia.jpg (70 KB, 631x682) Image search: [Google]
guardian lamia.jpg
70 KB, 631x682
>>2498758
Just for comparison here's the miniature as they show it on the store page. A lot of the colours are the same, but I want mine to look a lot brither, to pop so to speak. So the blue scales for instance I'll try making very shiny.
>>
>>2497224

watch a youtube video on how to make halftone screens
>>
So for perspectives creating a grid is like creating a basic skeleton for drawing things meaning it's okay to do so?
>>
What exactly is considered a study? Do people just sit down and try their best to focus on a certain field where they have serious flaws?
>>
>>2498623
It's a good idea and a common practice. Find am artist you wish to emulate and go ahead and try to pick up on their use of lighting and values while you're at it. Learning these things early on will be a great help in the long run.

>>2498995
Don't worry whether or not a technique is okay to do so as long as it gets the job done, anon.

>>2499040
I asked he same question years ago, kek. A study can take many forms whether they be a light study, master study (analyzing and replicating the work of a master artist), life study or an anatomical study. All artists that are looking to improve have to work on their weaknesses.
>>
>>2499040
"a study" is basically analytical practice using a reference. It's the process of focusing on a certain aspect(s) of the subject matter. It differs from simple "practice" in the sense that it's the deliberate act of breaking down/analyzing the subject.

In addition studies are often used as a form of problem solving and visual notes to prepare for the complete piece. For example you might do four studies about subject before you move onto doing the finished piece.
>>
>>2486001
are markers like copic worth it how about prismacolor
>>
File: wbl_large.jpg (58 KB, 782x780) Image search: [Google]
wbl_large.jpg
58 KB, 782x780
Poorfag here, can't afford a nice big drafting table (yet) however I do have a stack of cardboard and a wooden block. For the time being could I not just use this as a makeshift surface? It fits on my PC desk too.

What problems could arise from this combination?
>>
>>2487483
that depends on your studies.
if you're doing what /ic/ considers studies, that is mindlessly copying photos then you're doing it wrong.

If you're doing real studies though, still lifes, head and figure sketches then it's all good and the skill will translate easily.
>>
>>2487630
Accuracy of what? Your measurements? Line quality?
>>
>>2495240
get Anatomy for Sculptors. It's a great book with tons of picture explanation for various poses including how arms bend all around.
>>
>>2495379
Bad habit of what? Be specific nigga.
Most of the time the conscious effort is just enough, and you'll turn conscious effort to not do a bad habit into a habit, if that makes sense.
>>
>>2495653
Do blockouts / Go from big to small.

Common issue is that an idea seemingly loses it's alluer over time, but that's wrong and you should finish up your current ones, becuse new ideas will always seem better.
>>
>>2495711
The same way you cultivate discilpline for something else.

If you haven't already spending lots of time drawing, think why is that? Is it not fun? Why DO you want to draw?

Then set your goals, imagine what you want to do and what skill you want to get, then say to yourself that it'll be hard and painfull but you need to do lots of studying before it gets easy.

Powering through the inital phase will get you to a place where it's not as hard and you have some idea of what you're doing, then it'll be more fun that it is not.

Drawing is surprisingly a lot like lifting.
It's hard and shitty at the start and you might not feel the high that people talk about and you have to eat right and everything, but if you stick to it you get into your routine and it becomes much easier.

It'll get a lot easier and you'll get a huge motivation boost when you look at your work and it's not that bad and you're wondering "damn, I did that?!"
>>
File: wacom-bamboo-spark-640x367.jpg (20 KB, 640x367) Image search: [Google]
wacom-bamboo-spark-640x367.jpg
20 KB, 640x367
>>2495739
You mean picrelated?

If you want a full-blown mobile graphic tablet look into companion or ipad with apple pen thing.
>>
>>2495767
A lot of this comes to a personal preference.

I suggest lifting what other artists, you might like, use and try their way. Then you figure out what's lacking and look up how to achieve that.

What matters is the end result in the end, so don't think there's one absolute way to do things, especially in digital.
>>
>>2496318
I'm thinking you're working in digital.

Get a fat square or round brush and use just that. Never go lower on the brush size and just using the same brush size until you fill the canvas with whatever you're painting.
>>
>>2496843
It really depends. You'll smudge a lot if you keep your hand on the paper. Even more if you're drawing on a horizontal surface.

You can get a simple plain piece of paper (A4, your usual printer paper) and place it under your hand. This way you can anchor your hand on the paper and not smudge.
>>
>>2496950
Lighter attitude. Stuck up tryhard follwer-count-sweating attitude always comes out here and there.

Try to have fun and be light about followers, they come and go, but they won't come if you don't post more work!
>>
>>2497524
if you already know how and why happens in 3D space, then sure.

If you straight up use this kind of a crutch without studiyng perspective first then you're just stunting your own progress.
>>
>>2497611
>Im concerned if studying an idealized human body will make me unable to draw normal humans in the future
And you're correct. Just look at Street Fighter 5 models. They've got these freakishly huge hands for the sake of better feeling to the punches, but it's not the best anatomy representation.

What's wrong with studying classical sculptures?
>>
File: color.jpg (14 KB, 260x334) Image search: [Google]
color.jpg
14 KB, 260x334
>>2497715
This badboy will guide you and show you what studies you should do to better understand colors.
>>
>>2498623
Why not try drawing real people? You need to learn to properly construct the head first.
>>
>>2498995
Constructing is always okay
>>
>>2499857
Nice one anon, saved
>>
how do i draw more emotive faces? i'm okay with ink 'cause i draw really loosely with ink, but i can't seem to nail emotive expressions in more structured stuff like drawing and painting
>>
Someone mind telling me why I should use colors other than white and black when doing shading? Trying to understand how to color stuff correctly and the only answer I get out of this is because black/white shadows are pretty dull to use while some other color makes it more appealing but I need an answer for this
>>
Sup /ic/,

How does one paint a rack of a woman in the ways of Anime or Cartoon style.
I'm not aiming for realism here, I'm practicing only for the sake of character sheets for Roleplaying games.
Help or a finger in the right direction would be great, thanks in advance!
>>
>>2501735 (Me)
Thanks google.
>>
>>2501343
because when you shade with black, your colours become muddy and fucked up, i personally (though i've seen others do this well) never even do lineart or cell shading with pure black since its way too harsh for my tastes. White is more forgiving, highlighting with white isn't going to draw as much attention as a huge clump of black in the shadows.
Yes, black and white CAN be used in an effective, aesthetically pleasing way, but for a beginner in working w/ colour, i'd steer clear.
something i do with my more basic paintings is take my base colour, increase the saturation and the darkness, then change the hue a little (this is with digital painting btw). Of course i dont always do this, but when the main focus of a piece isn't colour, its nice to fall back on. i used it a lot as a beginner, and it helped with developing my eye
hope this helped, im not very good at explaining things :)
>>
File: wip2042616.png (662 KB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
wip2042616.png
662 KB, 2000x1125
how am i suppose to do a study. How does this shit work? is their a way to make it click?

the 1st one i tried doing it upside down and using plum lines too and it came out like ass. the 2nd one i think i did better but i pretty much just eyeballed it.

How do you use a reference? how do you do studies? any help please
>>
What's a good place to get started as someone who has no drawing experience?
Also is Photoshop the only good drawing program or are free programs like Krita/GIMP/Paint.NET fine?
>>
>>2502154
I usually use a bunch of references and draw something original from that..

You have to learn from the reference if you're doing a study. What do I have trouble with? What do I like about the ref that I want to recreate? Do I have enough value in my copy? What about my work is different from the ref? How can I make it better.

You're there to learn, to teach yourself how to make better drawings/paintings.

If you still don't get it, go set up a still life IRL or do some figure drawings.
>>
>>2502261
Krita is my personal favorite, desu. It's easy to use and free. Also, sticky. Also, Fun with a Pencil. Also, draw from life, pls.
>>
File: 1452792178498.jpg (125 KB, 1448x2048) Image search: [Google]
1452792178498.jpg
125 KB, 1448x2048
>>2502154
Overthinking it man. Just find a point on the reference, for example the nose (since these are portraits) and measure everything else relative to that. Slow down, take your time, really eyeball it. Spend the majority of your time on steps A and B, and use straight, long lines for as much as is possible. Capture the important parts and ignore details. You'll know what's important if you squint and focus on the divisions between the darkest darks and the brightest brights. The "draw upside down" thing is to get your bias out of the way and force you to draw with pure observation, but it looks to me like your issue isn't observing but rather your rush into details.
>>
File: fat norweigan gamer.jpg (38 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
fat norweigan gamer.jpg
38 KB, 800x600
I'm 27 year old and I'm trying to make drawing my hobby even though I have never drawn anything for myself except some engineering drawings.

There's one art studio/atelier 60 km from my hometown, it mainly prepares students for the architecture studies (and is boasting with 100% exam pass), but there are also courses for drawing and painting for "hobbyist" there, it's 28 hours of obligatory meetings + 160h to attend whatever courses you are interested in, there's also possibility for 3-4 6h meetings/month with naked model drawing/painting.

My question is - is it worth it to attend such place if you are absolute, total beginner? Would it really help me, or should I try drawing for 1-3 months and THEN try to join such place? It's also a question of spending money, that place will cost me local equivalent of $400/month and I'll have to join for minimum of 3 months. (I'll probably will be looking at $2000-2400/month in my job)

I'm thinking about it now because I'll finally fucking finish my studies (oh my god, why at such age) in 2 months and I'll have a choice to seek a job and relocate respectively to that city, a big academic city where my gf is and where I study/-ied or to my industrial hometown (where I think there might be some minor basic drawing course starting in autumn).
>>
>>2502300
it seems to me you need some life advice, not art advice from /ic/
>>
>>2502300
Probably best to start drawing a bit on your own first in my opinion. But it will depend a lot on the individual student and how well they learn independently. Honestly at your age a few months is not a big deal, so maybe try on your own first (buy some books to help) and then see how far you get. Either you make very little progress and then know it is best to learn from a teacher, or you build a solid base foundation to then build upon further at the school. A few months of potential "wasted" time in which you may fail at improving on your own is not a big deal at 27.
>>
>>2502770
>>2502778

I think you are right, all good things and learning takes time and it might be an equivalent of throwing money on one year of gym without a clue if it's for you and if you will keep at it.

Ok, I'll give it a try till autumn and if I'll stick to it, I'll join a course that will be in either of those cities. Hopefully I'll be after 3 months of working a job by then and have some savings.
>>
>>2502785
Which atelier is near you? What are your goals in art. Keep in mind that ateliers can be very narrow and rigid in their approach, so if it doesn't align with what you want it will be a miserable experience. If it is what you want then it can be fantastic though. Just do some research into it first before committing entirely. Most ateliers if you call in ahead of time will allow you to schedule a tour where one of the instructors will show you around the school, talk to you, answer questions etc.
>>
>>2502789

I'm from eastern/central Europe and it's first atelier/studio in my region so I doubt you'd know it. They offer free lessons at first and there's even virtual tour through it.

http://graphis.pl/spacer/szkola.html

Here is gallery of the works of their students, as I mentioned they focus mainly on architecture.

http://graphis.pl/galeria/galeria_-_architektura_historyczna

>What are your goals in art.

I want to work with ink and gouache, thinking of doing some interesting designs in the future, like blending modern setting with animism or doing pieces focusing on exploration of environments, you know, lost temples and archeological sites like in Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider.

...maybe I would like to make a portrait of my mom too before she dies off the cancer in the future (diagnosed in November, so far it looks good and chemo seems to be working)
>>
>>2487217
You'd need to see if your system can handle more RAM or if the clockspeed needs to be turned up.
Btw 10k by 10k is really impractical.
>>
How to make learning perspective easy? I hate using rulers and I find it super boring
>>
#gold
>>
>>2504004
dont use rulers
you know how to draw a straight line right?
>>
File: tumblr_o6ha2jjCTP1s3zmk9o1_1280.jpg (687 KB, 1280x1703) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6ha2jjCTP1s3zmk9o1_1280.jpg
687 KB, 1280x1703
>>2486001
How do I get a greater sense of depth without mucking up my colour palette?

Sometimes I'm half way through a drawing and I realise it looks too flat, so when I try fix it it usually effects the colour I've already played down, I try adjust the colours after and it never looks as good

Tips?
>>
>>2504004
Just keep the horizon in mind and think of everything as being a box.
>>
Is it possible to achieve very smooth values with graphite pencils without blending? How to do that?

I'm preparing for entry exams to get into an art school and only tools that are allowed are pencils and erasers. At the same time I want to draw as realistically as possible - I don't want any grainy textures to show up on glass objects. What should I do?
>>
>>2493509
Get:
-Any kind of unpolished wood, preferably lighter in colour
-A bottle or two of nail varnish remover (make sure it has acitone in it)
-A freshly photocopied image (NOT a printed image, it has to be photocopied)

>Place photocopied image onto the wood, design facing down
>Tape down the corners so it doesn't move anywhere
>Soak rag in nail varnish remover
>Rub the paper into the wood with the nail varnish remover rag
>Scrub it in and make sure it stays wet (acitone evaporates quickly)
>lift page slightly to see if image has transfered, continue until satisfied

Blah blah blah well ventilated area blah blah you can do this on paper or fabric too
Have fun
>>
How I learn to draw anatomy with bridgman books. Thank you in advance.
>>
>>2506857
also, if bridgman is not a good book for a beginner can i use watts atelier books to guide me in learning anatomy. again, thanks in advance.
>>
>>2506857
>>2506870
If you're a beginner, then I suggest reading Hampton's "Figure Drawing". There's also an workshop made by him about this subject - generally speaking videos are easier to understand, so you should look them up.
>>
File: braithwaite.jpg (59 KB, 442x600) Image search: [Google]
braithwaite.jpg
59 KB, 442x600
>>2506773
"And in painting, the great painters never lose sight of the fact that it is paint with which they are expressing themselves. And although paint is capable of approaching much nearer the actual appearanceof nature thab stone or bronze, they never push this to the point where you forget that it is paint. This has been left for some of the smaller men."
>>
File: values.jpg (154 KB, 1024x446) Image search: [Google]
values.jpg
154 KB, 1024x446
>>2506761
All of your face values can fit into one value step.

Picture 1 is your values, picture 2 is them clamped and picture 3 is the second values applied to the original.

Also, mirrored and rotated so you could see the mouth and space between the eyes.
>>
>>2506917
I hate hampton approach of anatomy, I tried his book. There's no way I can learn from bridgman? All artists I admire learned from bridgman, even when they were starting...
>>
>>2506980
Bridgman is good. Most of the people who complain about Bridgman complain because they are using a really shitty scan of his work and it's hard to tell what is going on. If you buy the books things are quite clear in my opinion.
>>
>>2506994
Glad to read that. But how I learn from him? Just copy his drawings?
>>
>>2506959
Thanks for responding, you've helped me!

As your quote suggests, it is possible that examiners don't care about realism that much - I'll have to look up the exact criteria they're using before investing my time into learning photorealism.

Thanks again!
>>
>>2507007
Read the text, then copy the diagrams out. After each one, hide the book and the first copy you did and redraw it again from memory. Then compare it to the book and take note of where you made errors.

Also don't worry about being super anal about accuracy. Like don't do it how people copy Bargue plates and spend many hours on each one. No, just a few minutes each is fine. Don't rush, but don't spend ages on them. The ideas are the key to Bridgman, and the major forms and masses. He himself drew those diagrams in front of classes by having a piece of charcoal on the end of a meter stick. He also was an alcoholic and taught drunk. So just copy them for what they are, but don't slave over it.
>>
>>2507021
Forgot to mention, don't buy his Complete Guide book because it is NOT complete. It's just a mix of random parts of his other books taken out of order and was put together posthumously. Instead, buy his Constructive Anatomy book and his Human Machine.
>>
Thinking about getting a tablet upgrade. Would I feel much of a difference going from a Huion H610 to an Intuos pro model?
>>
File: akari question.png (635 KB, 756x715) Image search: [Google]
akari question.png
635 KB, 756x715
>reading Scott Robertson's How to Draw
>he starts talking about cone of visions
>doesn't even tell how to calculate one
how?
>>
>>2507047
Yes. Huion tablets have shitty pressure sensitivity, let alone massive driver issues.
>>
I got a Wacom tablet for my birthday and I'm trying to learn how to draw now since I got in an accident and am pretty much confined home for 6 months or so

This shit is so hard. I've tried Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, Keys to Drawing, Fun with a Pencil, Ctrl-Paint, and drawabox, but I don't feel like I'm improving at all. I'm especially shit at visualizing things in 3D which really fucked me up with Fun with a Pencil and drawabox. Should I just practice drawing from references normally without focusing on any of the construction stuff or will I just be stuck at that point if I only do that? Any recommendations for tutorials I might have missed?
>>
>>2507997
geat piece of paper, draw a box unwrap on it. Cut it out and glue it all together. Now you've got a perfectly good thing to study.

Draw it from varying points of view. When it's on the floor, when it's higher up than you. In time you'll notice how the planes of a cube work in perspective, so you get a cylinder next, something like a simple glass would do.

Don't try painting all the shadows and lights and reflections, instead try to simply draw the cylinder in space, much like a box and you'll see that it follows the same rules and from these basic shapes you can apply the knowledge to basically any form.

It may seem simplistic and maybe boring, but it's best excercise you can do in the beggining.
>>
>>2507617
The cone of vision is 60 degrees wide and starts from the station point. There really isnt that much to calculate beyond that.
>>
File: 2002-redhead-texture.jpg (81 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
2002-redhead-texture.jpg
81 KB, 600x750
Is it the salivary glad that causes the leveling of the jawbone plane next to the ear? Or is it a rounded jaw that does it?

The thought I am running with now is that the Ramus is having a more pronounced inward angle. Can post an example of what I mean since I am better at explaining with drawings.
>>
File: Jaw.jpg (24 KB, 419x387) Image search: [Google]
Jaw.jpg
24 KB, 419x387
>>2508058
>>
Whats the point of traditional pen and paper drawing if you dont have a transform tool / layers?
>>
>>2508058
It's mostly the shape of the jawbone with the masseter over top, then you cover all of that with a layer of skin and fat.
>>
>>2508107
When I feel the sides of my jaw I do feel some "hollow" areas so the skin leveling out that area is something I can accept for now, thanks.
>>
>>2508103
You can put it on the fridge.
>>
>>2508103
Hahaha
Nigger where do you think those digital tools came from
Learn to draw nigga learn to hatch wow
>>
>>2508218
drawing without a transform tool and layers seems archaic, pointless.
>>
>>2508219
You seem archaic and pointless.
There are layers you dumb hack, its called LAYERING
You dont need a transform tool if you sketch it right and dont fuck up your drawing to begin with

>"Riding this bicycle seems pointless without training wheels"

GET
U
D
>>
>>2508230
What you're saying is the same as a tattoo artist doing a tattoo without an outline stencil. If you fuck up, you cant change it. Why would they do that? I dunno, /ic/ cred I suppose.
>>
>>2508219
Traditional is better for learning, because it forces you to not fuck up. Digital is better once you'd already got gud.
>>
>>2508271
see tattooing without a stencil, etc
>>
>>2508245
Did you read my post nignog, SKETCH first
Dont ink the whole thing and render before proper construction
>>
>>2508314
If you sketch, you must also be able to use the transform tool.
>>
Stop replying to shitosting.
>>
>>2508334
???
How are these things related
>>
>>2508339
Its the modern way, everything else seems archaic to me.
>>
File: clark-hd-lo.jpg (25 KB, 329x400) Image search: [Google]
clark-hd-lo.jpg
25 KB, 329x400
>>2508342
Post art. Lets see how "modern" your stuff is.

Pic related: archaic, no transform tool.
>>
Been drawing on and of most of my life and finaly want to git gud.
Any good sources online for practising fundamentals?
>>
>>2508353
Read sticky
>>
>>2508352
If you had a transform tool you could do so much more with this. Why handcuff?
>>
>>2508374
Ignore my post and keep shitposting then.
Confirmed for noname shitter
>>
>>2508377
>avoiding the question
>asking for proof
gb2 /3/ or at least leave this thread
>>
I was thinking of opening up a patreon as a kind of tip jar with nothing behind paywalls or anything, just posting studies and drawings. However, the setup almost screams like it's a gofundme or something. Am I just looking at this the wrong way? Should I just look into a paypal donate button
>>
>>2486649
>http://www.quickposes.com/
>>
What are some good youtube vids/ channels for photoshop techniques?
>>
I was given a computer after years of not having one (I was relying on school Dells for those who are curious).
I would like to download photoshop.
I have a mac.
For those of you who downloaded it safely without paying, where did you get it from?
>>
Does clip studio paint have an equivalent layer mode to photoshops color one?
>>
reposting here hoping the thread will be less dead than the other
If I learn pencil shading, will it that knowledge stay if I switch to digital, I mean is there any point for me to learn pencil shading if I'm going digital eventually?
>>
>>2515320
You're applying values, so if you learn what you're doing with that, it should transfer pretty easily to digital. You can also replicate the same techniques on digital and it'd look pretty good.
>>
>>2515320

The ability to observe light and shadow and place it on a canvas is important no matter what medium you're using. As the other anon said, knowing how values work will help no matter what.

For the actual techniques involved your mileage may vary. You can apply them digitally, but you might also just paint instead of shading like you would with a pencil.
>>
>>2515325
>>2515326
Thanks guys
What I need now is knowing how to do it, are there any books or tutorials?
>>
What's the difference between working in film and working in games?

I like the idea of working for films, but I'm not quite sure how to develop a portfolio towards film rather than games.
>>
>>2515635
Choose a specific job. There's tons of artists that work in films that all do different specialties. Are you doing tight key scenes? Colour keys? Costume design? set design? storyboards?

In general there is a lot of overlap between games and film though and many artists do both. Film tends to use more photobashing though because it has tighter deadlines and they want the art to look close to the end result in the movie.
>>
Are the lessons on Pencil Kings site good and/or worth the price?
>>
I haven't figured out what is the reason for using multiply layer, why?
Does it add a saturating effect or something?
>>
>>2515683
It just makes things darker and shifts the colour towards whatever you are using, even if you select a light colour to paint with. Many modes can shifts things either light or darker (such as Overlay or Hard Light), but Multiply just darkens. Unlike something like Colour Burn, it doesn't make things overly saturated or affect different values in drastically different ways.

Many people use Multiply to add in shadows. Like say you have something with a pattern of different colours and values on it and you want a cast shadow over part of it. Rather than manually painting in a shadow and picking new shadow colours for each colour of the pattern and carefully doing each tiny shape, you can just take a big brush on a Multiply layer and do it in one stroke.
>>
If any of you are generally private, quiet individuals, how do you go about sharing your work online? Or do you?

Have any of you had to overcome things like shyness before you could network?
>>
>>2499773
Cardboard has chemicals that react violently with lumber, it would burn a whole through your desk and might even melt your legs. Do not try such a dangerous combination of materials.
>>
>>2515721
>Have any of you had to overcome things like shyness before you could network?
Yes, I'm finding it very hard to post my work, mostly because i don't think it's interesting for others.

The key i've found that helps me is posting things not to get attention or approval but just for archive purpose and visibility.

Even if you post in a community but get no response you'll be notice if you do it regularly.

If you're doing something like a stream, doing it regularly is the MOST important, people need to think you're their friend and they should want to watch you.

Slow and steady does it and when you get a positive response from someone it's double the fun.
>>
>>2515683
Multiply is like watching your image through a photo/movie film. Whatever is on the multiply layer will darken the underlying pixels.
>>
>>2486001
is the girl in this drawing on her period?
>>
How do I blend With Gouache? I keep melting right through the paint I don't /THINK/ I'm pressing too hard WTH
>>
>>2516835
Work wet into wet rather than try to blend with paint that has already dried on the page. If you have two dried colours next to each other you can take a damp (not wet) clean brush and gently fuzz the edge between them, but if your brush is too wet or you go too hard then it will start to pick up the paint instead of blend it.

In general though gouache is not used for blending very much since it is rather difficult to do. There's a reason it is popular for flatter more graphic art styles.
>>
>>2516839
Thank You! I think I am going in too wet I'll be experimenting more later so, this really helps!
>>
>>2515721
I generally don't post my work until I have something I'm proud of and am getting to the point where I need my flaws pointed out to me. I don't think many people share every single thing they draw.

as for the shyness thing, that's definitely a problem for me and eventually I just have to grit my teeth and reach out to people.
>>
>>2515635
what are you planning to do for film/games? because you might want to look into going into 3d
>>
>>25111

it's only $10 a mo now
>>
>>2516823
No, she's too young for that
>>
am i supposed to feel morally wrong because while i was watching some porn the girl got in an interesting position so i stopped my fap and decided to draw her?
>>
Can I use a ballpoint pen to do the linework for a watercolor picture? Or should I stick to an extra fine point sharpie? I'd prefer to use the pen since it's thinner, but I don't know if it'll bleed. I don't have any other options available at the moment.
>>
File: what.png (27 KB, 603x571) Image search: [Google]
what.png
27 KB, 603x571
Why is my 1 pixel pencil brush actually 3x3 pixels in size?
>>
>>2517378
if your watercolor is wet then it'll bleed most definitely. If you paint it over the dried up watercolor picutre it should be ok, but it'll probably look weird, or that's just me, since i think you can see the ballpoint pen and it's associate with school writing and whatnot.
>>
>>2517296
no
>>
>>2516835
you can blend either with wet on wet, much like oil paints, but it's harder with tempera since it dries up so quickly.

Or you can dilute it in water and do steps of glazing, building up one color on top of the other. It won't be as smooth as wet on wet, but will produce some interesting results too.
>>
>>2517405
is your brush stencil a perfect 1x1 pixel or is it something else?
>>
what the best way to practice painting faces on photoshop? I mean as in an effective way to learn besides repititions
>>
I want to learn how to paint traditionally. I want to learn how to paint realistic still lifes.
What medium should I choose? Acrylics? Oils? Watercolors? Something else?

Can you recommend me an medium that's:
- beginner-friendly (mistakes are easy to fix)
- drying slowly (I'm slow, so I guess it would make things easier for me)
- inexpensive (it would be great if I could spend less than 100$ for equipment)
>>
Anyone have any advice/tips for someone heading into digital for the first time?
>>
>>2517580
Read sticky.
>>
File: 020.jpg (77 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
020.jpg
77 KB, 600x800
What's some good reference books of medieval armor besides medieval arms and armors

Thanks in advance.
>>
What's better for sketching portraits on A3?

0.5mm or 0.7mm 2B mechanical pencil?

I've tried HB but I can't seem to get the darkness I want so that's why I'm going with 2B.
I've tried 0.7mm but it doesn't seem to be precise enough for the little details but I'm not sure if that's just a lack of skill.
>>
>>2518149
there's no universal right answer, just experiment and see what you like
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.