[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First post over here on /ic/. I recently "finished"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Artorias.png (1 MB, 1677x1060) Image search: [Google]
Artorias.png
1 MB, 1677x1060
First post over here on /ic/. I recently "finished" my most successful painting so far, but I hit a dead end on how to improve it further. Thoughts?
>>
>>2481139
it's a horrific mess. no composition, no understanding of value nor color, topped off with absolute beginner technique.
if you mean how can you improve the painting, you can't really at this point.
if you mean how can you improve your actual skill level you need to start from the absolute beginning. check the sticky out for recommended reads
>>
>>2481148
lol, thanks for the advice. I came for help, not useless bullshit that doesn't help anyone.
>>
>>2481139
How about erasing all of the clouds and starting over on the BG.

Cause there's some big contrast problems there between the background, the characters legs and the characters body.
>>
Im not a a good artist, but i would vote for glowey eyes
>>
>>2481163
Thank you, that's actually useful. The background is definitely super weak, but I couldn't find a way to keep that "feel" while also maintaining some good contrast and an interesting composition. Ideas?
>>
the thumbnail is incomprehensible

work on your thumbnails with value study
>>
>>2481178
Partially due to poor planning. Originally this painting was just do de-rust my PS skills. But I'll def keep that in mind.
>>
>>2481171
Artorias I'm guessing?

Turn your picture into a black and white(greyscale) picture and you'll see that everything blends together.
You need to make the grays more distinct from each other.

Your armour is equally as bright as his robe.
That's a problem
>>
>>2481162
here we go again
>>
>>2481162
>doesn't help anyone
>tells you to study more value, composition, colour, technique
kill yourself mate like just end it all
>>
>>2481139
>"finished"
thats not finished lol
>>
>>2481162
>lol I came here for asspats not to hear exactly how my shit sucks and what to study to improve
ftfy
>>
>>2481139
The elbow is too low on the right arm if the back of his hand is facing out. The helmet looks slightly misshapen and the cloak appears to to go too high like it would cover his face. His left arm becomes too vague since you're probably struggling with hands. The scratches indicate a level of detail which is not consistent through the character. The background is very bland with no real form. The colors and value similarity in level of detail between the character and background makes the character sink into it. The wind is blowing the cloth on the top of his helmet but his cloak is motionless and nothing else in the scene indicates such movement.
>>
>>2481573
>>2481209
I should clarify the background bit if this style >>2481209 is what you were going for with it. The background is too vague if it takes up the majority of the painting
>>
>>2481162

you are not gonna make it
>>
>>2481162
it is a mess dude. Don't dunning kruger yourself. What you make now and what you make for a long time is going to be shit and you're going to think it looks awesome. Don't get an ego this early on, take your lumps and just keep focusing on improving.
>>
>>2481148
I wish I could tell op to ignore you but you're unfortunately 100% right.
Bit harsh though bruv
>>
>>2481181
Remember to be honest with yourself on why certain things came out the way they did. The background is afterthought and lazy. Before you move onto any sort of rendering on a character try sketching out some sort of background to form an interesting composition.
>>
OP here. I'm COMPLETELY fine with pretty much any criticism, but I prefer criticism that actually helps me. I'm well aware I need a lot of work on fundamentals and such. I'm getting back into practicing after a long break. I'm still young and and I'm still in the process of learning a lot of important skills. "start over lol" doesn't really help at all. I can't improve if I don't do work, obviously. I seriously appreciate the rest of the comments that make an effort to point out things I did wrong as well as ways to improve on those things and hone my skills. That's what I came here for. I don't need to be told to keep practicing, I'm already fucking doing that.

>>2481688
That's a given. Work I thought was amazing and my "best" last year is shit tier now. Doesn't mean it's wrong or bad to get excited about reaching new heights and seeing clear improvements. That's why we do art isn't it? That feeling of "fuck yes, I did this" whenever you feel like you did something awesome, regardless of whether or not it's actually any good. As it stands, this IS my best work. That's why I came here to see how to make it better because I KNOW it's going to be shit to me down the line.

Anyway, seems like background is by far my biggest issue. I'm going to spend some time working on those to at least polish my rendering skills a bit. Fundamentals and shit will get some practice too, of course. gotta get into a daily routine again.
>>
>>2481978
/ic/ is 50% shitposts, 50% genuine criticism.
Up to you to search through the crap and find something good.
>>
>>2481993
Yeah, I figured that out. I usually go somewhere else for when I need advice or help, but I came here thinking I'd get some good ol' harsh criticisim. Guess I wasn't disappointed.
>>
>signing and dating a digital painting
explain urself
>>
File: 210_mm_Railway_Gun.jpg (52 KB, 500x660) Image search: [Google]
210_mm_Railway_Gun.jpg
52 KB, 500x660
>>2481998
When you post outside of the draw-thread >>2481091 it's as if stating that your work is that much better than there. You're asking for everyone on /ic/ to give their opinions on why your work is that much better than the draw thread.

Hence why.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.