[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you want to learn to freehand perspective should you learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 2
File: p.jpg (964 KB, 1600x1125) Image search: [Google]
p.jpg
964 KB, 1600x1125
If you want to learn to freehand perspective should you learn how to do perspective on a grid first? Or is it better to just keep practicing freehand until your drawings look right?

What are the use cases for grid? It seems like its mainly for just do vehicle design and getting big scenes with multiple objects in looking right. But when I've seen things like a planar break down of the face. Manipulating that in 3 dimensions free hand seems almost impossible without drawing out the VPs etc. People like Proko and Loomis seem to be able to draw this complex geometric stuff in perspective without a explicitly drawing out the construction but did they learn with the construction or did they just practice from observing perspective until they could do it?

Grids seems really abstract and slow as opposed to learning how to just visualise it and I'm wondering if the investment of time of drawing straight lines with a ruler is really worth it...
>>
File: s4.jpg (202 KB, 1000x826) Image search: [Google]
s4.jpg
202 KB, 1000x826
Start by working on grids. The problem with trying to learn how to freehand perspective by freehanding perspective is that you won't know whether or not the perspective is actually correct after you've freehanded it. By using a grid you can train your eye to understand how different 3d forms look in space.

After a while it is good to then transition into doing sketches/layouts freehand, and tightening and cleanup on grids, and eventually to just freehand.
Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.