[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Bogus reasons why you are a better artist than everyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: meme_wip2.jpg (245 KB, 596x596) Image search: [Google]
meme_wip2.jpg
245 KB, 596x596
ITT: Bogus reasons why you are a better artist than everyone else

- have my gf call me 'Ruanjia' during sex
>>
>>2478120

>sex
>3d

lmao never going to make it. You do realize each time you realize sperm you become less creative for hours afterward?
>>
>>2478126

is this true? source? peer reviewed article?
>>
God, /ic/ I hate you so much.
Photobashing is bad they said, mah real artists don't use photobash they said. For years I was trying to improve my brushstrokes struggling through learning basics (basics are important though). You hated every artist who used a little part of photo in his pictures or an overpainted 3D even if the final product was good. You hated concept art saying it's a fucking cheating. I was so blind. Now while working a little in gamedev I opened my eyes. EVERYONE ARE PHOTOBASHING IN GAMEDEV (and using 3D) in their 2D pictures, same with movie production. Because it's a production and you use every method to make your illustration or concept or whatever fast and high-quality. You can render the skin of your character for weeks or you can make 2-3 colored finished illustrations with full pack of complex forms, machinery, creatures and whole worlds. Geez, you can do the army of moving robots in one day using 3D coat and Marmoset. And make them still 2D by bashing textures and overpainting. You are learning so much techniques in process including composition, light and shadows, tone difference and achieving epic result. But nooo you wanted me to use my brush and lines. I should admit you nearly crashed me. You made me feel like shit so I grind my studies and still life just to get more hatred and harsh critique and it was useful, but goddamn you made me believe what you want.
So if anyone want to be part of interesting projects, games or movies RUN RUN from here like hell.

inb4 /ic/ isn't one person
inb4 show your art
>>
File: 1451760868412.jpg (83 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1451760868412.jpg
83 KB, 625x626
>>2478151
>>
>>2478144
It's true, Loomis says it in his book "Fun with apathy"
>>
>>2478151

Photobash all you want I don't care, it will still look like poop at the end of the day.
We don't care if it's used by professionals working on AAA titles. Still doesn't make it look good.

The best photobashers are still light years away from the aesthetics of Gods like Syd Mead, Ralph McQuarrie and John Berkey.
>>
>>2478151

calm down bitchass nigga the op image is a joke. yes photobashing has its place. just hide it really well and don't become complacent because to get gud gud you still need a lot of skill ontop of that photobashing. don't wanna end up like Wojtek.
>>
>>2478227
>you still need a lot of skill ontop of that photobashing
I agree
>>
File: 1443731375278.jpg (85 KB, 530x504) Image search: [Google]
1443731375278.jpg
85 KB, 530x504
>>2478241
What sort of skill would require painting over a photo?
>>
>>2478151
>>2478220
>>2478227
photobashing is fine in pre-pro and development. It looks fucking terrible but it does the job.

I don't get why people think it's a good idea to show off their shit photobashings though. Like... why? Why would they think this is ok? It's not legal for one if it's used as promo art because they don't own the copyright of the images they used(assuming they aren't using stock images) I have seen fucking retarded artists just not even bother to paint the photos they are using. They just paste that shit in, color balance it, and fade it in. Keep that shit for internal use only.
>>
>>2478249
you don't overpaint it by copying but adding light and details to merge photo into painting.
>>
>>2478126

damn bruv dat feel when you realize sperm.
>>
>>2478151
Anon, you could've just researched David Hockney's bbc documentary Secret Knowledge to find out how a shitton of the great masters of the olden days also used shit like lenses, mirrors and models, etc. to stage and setup paintings. Doesn't mean they didn't understand their tools or how to use them, paint was tricky as fuck to master in those days what with only the bigger workshops and the rich being able to afford the materials to create art.

The spark is nothing more than wanting to tell a story to evoke emotion or inspire learning and visual media becomes the means of the expression for that - thus the word, art.

Lets get on wit it senpai
>>
>>2478120

>sex with gf

If you'd read Loomis you would know that sex with gf leads to horrid form and values! Hahaha, you collossal faggot, you are never gonna make it!
>>
>>2478151

WHY would you EVER listen to people on /ic/? WHY?! This isn't a place to learn. It's a place for bitter failures to make themselves feel better.

Photobashing is fine. It's ALWAYS been fine. It's what conceptual artists use because they're not trying to make pretty pictures, they're trying to communicate an idea to other artists, modelers and designers. That's the whole point!
>>
>>2478144
I've reviewed his post and found it satisfactory
>>
>>2478151
I agree, /ic/ is dumb. A sentiment i see popping up here, like you've mentioned, is that people love to slam on artists who don't do art the "legit" way, so they then cross said artist off of their list of artists they want to aspire toward thus lowering the quality of their skill level goal and thus feeling less inclined to improve.

It's a psychological thing I think, if you can lower the bar of quality that you deem to be satisfactory, the thought of putting time into achieving that level of quality also shrinks so in a way you're saying to yourself "I don't have to work so hard! Yay!"

Instead what you should do is look at artists who use photobashing or other means of creating an appealing image and try to achieve that level of quality by your own means. If you see someone making photo-real paintings using heavy references, and you don't want to use references, make it a challenge for you to be THAT good while still keeping in line with your personal technical restrictions.

Artists who use photobashing use it as a tool to get the point of an image across where time is an issue, and even if time isn't a factor and they photobash just as part of their style, chances are they've already put the time in and honed their skills far higher than anyone on this board could hope to achieve.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.