[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If /ic/ hate's Brad Rigney's latest stuff then does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: wotlk_arthas_pose.jpg (136 KB, 819x1024) Image search: [Google]
wotlk_arthas_pose.jpg
136 KB, 819x1024
If /ic/ hate's Brad Rigney's latest stuff then does that mean they also hate Michael Komarck the god himself?
>>
>If /ic/ hate's Brad Rigney's

since when?
>>
>>2479026

since he turned into a filthy photobasher.

Can't really blame him, desu. Dude used to spend 200 hours on a single illustration and didn't use fucking references. If he found something he couldn't draw out of his head, he'd stop the illustration and study that thing until he could. At least so he says. Pretty cool if you think about it, but utterly unsustainable if you're trying to support yourself on your art.

Komarck is literally god tho, op is right. I think he's a little better than Mullins, personally.
>>
File: LCGOL-key-art-med.jpg (1 MB, 1405x1800) Image search: [Google]
LCGOL-key-art-med.jpg
1 MB, 1405x1800
OP's image is not a Komarck painting, btw. Don't know why you posted that op.
>>
>>2479122
That image. When I see it all I can think is how much better it would be if the slide was riding the track back and ejecting the casing. Would be so much cooler.
>>
>>2479180
this

also why is she firing somewhere she isn't looking??
>>
>>2479122
Is this photbash?
>>
>>2479122
textures and bashing everywhere.

>also those left eyes
>>
>>2479120
>I think he's a little better than Mullins, personally.

hahaha
>>
>>2479188
Yup
>>
>>2479120
I heard him talking about this on Dave Rapoza's podcast. Saying each illustration took so long that he didn't make enough to provide for his wife and kids.
>>
>>2479180
Too bad he didn't find the right photo to bash there.
>>
>>2479122
Personally i think it's impressive what guys like this are capable of showing a highly almost photo detailed concept or image that never existed before without using people or staging to complete it.

That and getting an idea is not easily done regardless of the tools. I hardly ever draw or paint digitally these days i just love the feeling of drawing on paper or canvas because i feel like i can "hear the strokes" when i see a good oil painting or listen to a violinist as much as i love sampled beats they just don't move and connect me to the spirit of the "Individual" as much as a unique handmade piece can.

That's not to say great ideas aren't universal regardless of medium.. Just that individualism tends to shine through more with traditional work and bring you closer to the artist imo.

So if people who really hate photobashing should hate all digital and in that sense only do traditional but that is an almot ignorant absolute mindset.
>>
>>2479180
this
>>2479567
haha
>>2479642
also this
>>
>>2479120
Better than mullins ahahaaaahahaha
>>
>>2479642
Most people don't hate photobashes because it's "cheating" or easy, but because the end result often looks like crap. Some artists can use photos in their work and the end result doesn't suffer from it because the photo is never the focus of the painting, especially in concept art that works just fine, if the artist knows what he's doing.

However, when artists use photos for their focal points in illustrations, like what Komarck, Brad Rigney, Maciej etc are doing, there's always this photo collage look to it that makes their work look inherently cheap and lazy.
>>
File: display_image.jpg (501 KB, 1024x1230) Image search: [Google]
display_image.jpg
501 KB, 1024x1230
>>2479880
I understand that but i don't think a lot of people in the design field approach concept art as a craft of art, which is unfortunate because it can attain that level as we all know.. and simply see it as an idea that needs to be sold at any cost - marketing.

the only other reason i can see people getting angry about it logically is because they feel they can do better but they aren't in the market getting paid.. so for them i would say why not?
>>
>>2479366
>>2479658

Mullins is the new pepe on /ic/
>>
File: 1460083688251.jpg (296 KB, 860x1152) Image search: [Google]
1460083688251.jpg
296 KB, 860x1152
>>2477744
>>2479122

op here, yea my mistake desu
>>
>it's another "let's bash artists we will never be close to the level of" thread
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.