[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art teachers are losers but going to art school is okay. I personally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
Art teachers are losers but going to art school is okay.

I personally think it is good to go to art school but keep in mind these few things...

Your art teacher is a nobody artist that nobody has heard of 95 percent of the time.

Even small local art galleries probably don't know who they are

When they give you advice on how to make your art appealing remember that they probably wouldn't be teaching if they knew how to be successful as an artist.

Some care more about looking edgy then improving their art.

You don't have to be good at art to be an art teacher.

Some of them are fresh out of art school and only repeat what they have learned from books with very little real life experience.

Often they get their jobs because they had a friend or relative that already worked at the art school, not because they are the best artist who applied.

Some of them have never even heard of Frank Frazetta.

If you go to art school, try to learn for yourself and not listen to your teacher too much.
>>
>>2474284
>wasting money at an art school
>not learning for free from the internet
Very good goyim, the 6 million are pleased by your shekel spending.
>>
>>2474284
It's a good idea to go to an art school where the teachers are unknown and will feed you bad ideas ?

Why not just start working as soon as you get out of highschool if you can't get into a great school or have a good teacher...
>>
>>2474289
>>2474299
So you can have a piece of paper that says you are an artist, it helps differentiate you from a regular joe that draws as a hobby and says to the world "I am serious about art"
>>
>>2474343
>he actually fell for the degree meme
>>
>>2474343
>a piece of paper that says you're an artist
how about
>several pieces of paper that prove you're an artist
portfolio > degree
>>
>>2474343
Not once have they asked me for papers in a job interview.

Should tell you something about how much it matters
>>
>>2474382
Your art is a testament to all you have learned from her.
>>
>>2474382
Fucking thank you. Everyone on this board thinks art teachers are shit without realizing how good of a portfolio you even need to get a job. I don't even go to a top tier school but my teachers still show their work all over the world.
>>
Think about what the average teenager is interested in and draws. The teacher has to deal with all of that. Thank god my teacher was able to put up with some of the cringe stuff and guide to in some different directions.
>>
>>2474284
>no body has heard of them 95% of the time
>even small local art galleries probably don't know who they are

art teacher or Frank Frazetta?
>>
Good shit post friend!
>>
I have a good hunch that one of the janitors is the OP. My post has been deleted. He also banned my ID and impersonated me. What a loser.
>>
File: before after chunbumpark.jpg (240 KB, 818x563) Image search: [Google]
before after chunbumpark.jpg
240 KB, 818x563
Here is the deleted post

I totally disagree with this. Professors who teach at the college level have at least a master's degree. It means they went through 4 years of art school plus 2 years of graduate school. They know what they are talking about. Whatever you are talking about must apply to some high school art teachers. Art professors are legit. Especially in top tier schools like RISD and Cooper Union? It's freaking intense and awesome to be there with peers and teachers who are all devoted to the craft and ideology and the art history behind it. Even my instructor at Art Students League of NY where I am temporarily taking classes knows so much. I probably have 20 years to go in order to catch up with her. My art would be nowhere near where it is now if it hadn't been for the kind and gentle and informative instruction of my teachers and professors. Don't listen to this idiot. He's probably in an art school himself or something similar trying to convince others not to go so he can get far ahead of everyone else he's jelly of on this board. Having a BFA or MFA will make difference between night and day in getting jobs or getting into a gallery or living off as a freelance artist, whatever path you may choose.
>>
>>2474526

Also I'm actually Nosebro. Something something ligameme.
>>
>nobody ever heard of them
why does that matter? Are teachers ranked on how famous they are these days?
>>
>>2474375
Why not both?
>>
>>2474474
You just need a friend that works there to get the job and thats how most of them get into their role.
>>
>>2474621
You make it sound so easy but that's just one small part of the whole story. Without a strong resume and portfolio, you can't get any job, and definitely not a full-time professorship.

There is a really famous adjunct professor at RISD. She is one of most famous and well-regarded professors at RISD, and she got her BFA from RISD, but she's stuck being an adjunct professor because she got her MFA from a lesser known school. Becoming a professor is that competitive.
>>
Why on earth would you mention Frazetta in this?
>>
>>2474299
>Why not just start working as soon as you get out of highschool
Kek.
>>
at my school all the teachers are part time "industry professionals" who makes a living working in the industry. They are not full fledged teachers but real artists in the world with experience.

one of my teachers showcased his portfolio and he has done set designs for stewart little and spiderman 2 and polar express
>>
>>2474656
Because you would think any art teacher who has worked in the industry for 20 years would know who that is... But suprisingly there are art teachers that dont.
>>
>>2474529
They listened to 4 years of someone repeating everything someone else told them, then they spend another 4 years repeating it themselves and the cycle continues.

Overtime the information gets distorted.
>>
>>2474529

Im not saying its bad to go to art school.

Im just saying learn from yourself and books instead of listening to everything you art teacher says as of its gospel.
>>
>>2474618
Because a degree costs over 50 grand
>>
>>2474625
The next door neighbour to my girlfriend is an art teacher...

You would expect an art teacher to have lots of art and books about art all over the place... She didnt.

Her whole portfolio was a bumch of badly drawn beaches...

Not stylized beaches painted roigky or abstractly... Just poorly.

This was part of me becoming disillusioned about art teachers.
>>
File: 1455331887956.gif (1 MB, 262x143) Image search: [Google]
1455331887956.gif
1 MB, 262x143
>>2474289
>>
>>2474721
this is just one person and anecdote, there's a lot of great people and great art out there beyond the bubble that is ic and that is your individual life. My art teacher/class was inspiring to me and was the high point point of a lot of crap days.
>>
Just go to schools like this one >>2474680
where "teachers" are actually dudes working in the industry who do this on the side because they love teaching and some are openly looking for promising newcomers.
Everything else is a waste.
>>
>>2474284
the Bauhaus in its golden period was nothing but famous artists and designers. your argument is proven wrong just be the existence of that school.
>>
>>2474289
>living in a country where education is not free
im sorry for you shmock
>>
>>2474284
>never heard of Frank Frazetta

I did neither, he's great thanks
>>
>>2475060
>Nothing's free
>>
>>2475029
Is it the typical art school of today though?
>>
>>2474343
>says to the world "I am serious about art"
More like
>says to the world "I wasted money"
>>
>>2474529
This.

And okay, let's face it, yeah some art teachers are bad. Like there are bad english/maths/whatever bad teachers out there. But there are also very committed people that know their shit and are more than valid teachers.

Personnal experience, I went to an art college and met :

-This guy that publish a comic book once a year or so, not so famous but hey, doing okay and doing his shit for 20 years

-This incredible and charming teacher that published one or two comic books, then moved to illustration with his wife. His work. HIS WORK. He could do everything without reference. An Inuit's boot? Got you covered bro. And he was a great human being.

-That guy a little know it all, nice work and such but bro, almost never publish anything. Doing one or two illustrations once in a while for magazines but no big hit in sight. I know this is part luck so I feel bad for the guy, but hm...

-That asshole that striked everyone down, know it all but not symphatic at all like the guy I mentioned above. A pure asshole, I said. Never published anything. Giving lesson all the time. Where is your work bro? Hey, when did your last comic was published? Was it NEVER?

And that's it. We're talking illustration/comic option, so that's why I talked about comic serialization so much. Oh and that was college, but I must admit that in Art High School, I met a lot of cliché shit artists you're having in mind here. But high school is a different story than college and uni I think, it's easier to meet shitty teachers there.
>>
baka senpai desu
>>
>>2475094
>I don't know how taxes work
>>
>>2477525
>Thinks taxes mean things are free.
Your free art education is only free as long the government can rake in money from the oil based economy.

Assuming you're a Scandinavian that is
>>
>>2474721
She sounds like a high school art teacher. All my teachers are insanely professional.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.