[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boris Vallejo vs Frank Frazetta?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
Boris Vallejo vs Frank Frazetta?
>>
>hiding feet
>>
Boris is probably more technically skilled, but his work is overpolished imo and not as evocative as Frazetta's.

Frazetta was raw and and original; I like his stuff better, personally.
>>
>>2473574
Who did it first?
>>
>>2473574
>Boris is probably more technically skilled
Lol no.

Now Vallejo isn't bad but Frazetta is in his own league.
>>
>>2473592
Who did it first though?
>>
>>2473574
Frazetta is better. Vallejo who cares.
>>
>>2473589
Frazetta by like 20 years.
>>
File: Frank Frazetta-Black Star.jpg (43 KB, 900x750) Image search: [Google]
Frank Frazetta-Black Star.jpg
43 KB, 900x750
>>2473559
Frazetta by far. his work is much more energetic and he used wonderful colours. Boris Vallejo's colours are much to bright.
Vallejo is mostly kitsch, while Frazetta is kitsch with depth.
>>
>>2473559
also Frazetta obviously adored puffy nipples.
>>
>>2473559
Are there really people who think this is even a question? Vallejo is through and through a cheaper, less skilled, less creative ripoff version of Frazetta.
>>
>>2473559
>those daggers
I don't know who this frazetta guy is, but I know he's a winner

[spoiler]actually I know[/spoiler]
>>
>>2473750
So he ripped off frazettas style and frazetta came first?
>>
Boris is a skilled draftsman, but his characters often don't look as if they belong in the paintings. Frazetta's work looks more coherent, and has more energy.
>>
File: simon-bisley-6.jpg (1 MB, 1475x2000) Image search: [Google]
simon-bisley-6.jpg
1 MB, 1475x2000
Fuck both. The Biz.
>>
>>2475352
>boring and unoriginal cyan/orange color scheme
>>
>>2475356
So...OP's picture?
>>
File: tumblr_nw4zgw59Qc1rhjbado1_1280.jpg (289 KB, 1255x1412) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nw4zgw59Qc1rhjbado1_1280.jpg
289 KB, 1255x1412
>>2475352
Bisley does not compare.
>>
File: Image (4).jpg (606 KB, 1179x1600) Image search: [Google]
Image (4).jpg
606 KB, 1179x1600
>>2475367
>>
>>2473566
Of the 6 feet in that pic, only 2 are hidden, the dinosaurs
presuming he's not growing out of the ground itself.
>>
>>2473559
Frazetta's work just looks better to me
>>
Sage for no contribution but OP's image looked like the dino was catching the guy for a dance or maybe a hug and the woman was snubbed.

I need glasses.
>>
>>2473574

"TECHNICALLY"??? You must mean rendering or something like that. No, Frazetta isn't just original, he is the superior draftsman.

Props to Boris for iconic compositions though.

>>2475352

Bisley has very fun character designs, but he's mostly fallowing older artists. And under all that style and color his anatomy and stroke falls a bit short.

All this isn't so evident, because both later artists put a lot more effort into what they made (or used faster mediums?). It's the rough sketches and inks that show it.
>>
File: frank_frazetta_savagepellucidar.jpg (241 KB, 931x1200) Image search: [Google]
frank_frazetta_savagepellucidar.jpg
241 KB, 931x1200
frazetta designs every value and shape, you could turn his paintings into 2 or 3 values and they would read. Boris doesn't know how to put figures into shadow everything has equal prominence so nothing does.
>>
Jeff Jones
>>
File: vallejo-sm.jpg (490 KB, 1469x1518) Image search: [Google]
vallejo-sm.jpg
490 KB, 1469x1518
>>2476613
>"TECHNICALLY"??? You must mean rendering or something like that. No, Frazetta isn't just original, he is the superior draftsman.

No, I mean in terms of technical ability. I love Frazetta same as everybody, but it seems obvious to me that Boris' work is just more accurately drawn, more tightly rendered, more anatomically accurate, ect. Boris uses reference and pays meticulous attention to detail; Frazetta painted in broad strokes and his work was very evocative and powerful, but technically there were some flaws: he kind of had sameface syndrome (especially with his women), he had a tendency to hide feet, he famously painted his figures from memory, etc. Just compare the way Frazetta painted faces to the way Boris does: it's pretty obvious that Boris is just flatly better at it, and obviously the use of reference adds a lot, too.

When I was a kid, I thought Frazetta was shit and Boris was amazing. Now I have the taste to see why Frazetta is so influential, and I like his stuff better than Boris' now... but it seems clear to me that Boris ability to draw and render surpassed Frazetta. Frazetta was better at composition, though.
>>
Frazetta is the supreme alpha of illustration.
>>
Frazetta had good taste. Vallejo doesn't.
>>
To me it seems like vallejo depends on a photocollage of figures rather than utilize them. Because he lacks the prowess and knowledge of a Struzan or frazzetta to extract relevant information and translate it in a appropriate manner to make them cohesive and at the same time serve a larger somposition. Which ultimately I think infers his lack of visuall library and imagination.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.