[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gitting gud
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: 1457375131290.jpg (110 KB, 791x1024) Image search: [Google]
1457375131290.jpg
110 KB, 791x1024
I heard that the best way to improve is drawing and drawing and drawing and drawing...
It does really work?
or you will be shit all your life?
>>
it seems to be working for me, draw from life, draw shapes, draw everything. and do it every day for several hours(i try to do 8 every day) i looked at my work from when i started or even like last year and where i am at now and its much better in the case of when i first started way fucking better.. so yeah just draw, but do it in the right ways.
>>
File: valk.jpg (318 KB, 1613x1095) Image search: [Google]
valk.jpg
318 KB, 1613x1095
Worked for me.
>>
>finally get a bit better at drawing bodies
>get a pose with foreshortening/ unusual perspective (something like pic related)
> fuck it up marvelously
FUGG
the ride never ends. Also faces in general still give me nightmares.
as for gitting gud, I did get (at least) a bit better than I used to, but deep inside I doubt I'll ever reach that level of drawing I want to achieve
>>
>>2471377
Not with that attitude.
>>
>>2471384
Well, I've come from drawing a few days then drop it for months to drawing daily nowadays. So there's that. Just gotta focus now more on things I'm rather bad at, which I used to avoid (up til now)
>>
>>2471370
I love your style, senpai

Although, looking at the right, I think thick outlines would suit it better. Have the lines around the legs, helmet, sword etc thick so that the lines on the shield and armor look thinner in comparison.
>>
>>2471377
davinci didnt reach the level he wanted to either, doesnt mean he wasnt great lol. he died regretting that he hadnt done enough.
>>
File: soma.png (564 KB, 1748x1654) Image search: [Google]
soma.png
564 KB, 1748x1654
>>2471411
Thanks!
I've started to use thick lines recently to see how they work, right now I'm struggling with finding a good or nice way of coloring.
>>
>>2471354
If you just draw, you'll only improve superficially.
If you draw and then review(self-critique) the day after, you'll improve much more.
>>
>>2471453
how i do that?
>>
>>2471354

If you do something without a goal in mind and roadmap to it, you will be lost and everything will be a struggle for you.

It's similar thing like with fatasses (like me) going to gym - they have goal in mind (losing kilograms) but they don't see how will they achieve that, so they tend to put on themselves workouts that just drain them and ultimately training becomes a struggle for them and something they do without joy.

I mean, how can you like doing something that doesn't give you joy? You subconciously won't try/like improving in that thing.

What you need to do is draw, sure, every day, but don't put fixed hours on yourself. If it's just 15 minutes, ok. Point is - you need to make it a part of your life, not fill your life with it and it only. It will come naturally to you if you will truly like it.

So set your goal - "I want to improve my linework". Every day do some exercises on your linework, go through book maybe, tinker with those. But don't put on yourself "I must do it for X hours". Nah. It will suffice if you will find time for it every day.

You will get better by studying that way. You will naturally want to get better since you'll see accomplishments - you do exercises on linework and surely it improves bit by bit.
>>
>>2471471
Forget technique while drawing and then criticize your technique after you've drawn. Then in the first hour every session try to improve what you thought sucked.

That way you've got more mental focus devoted to making something interesting while you draw and you've got more mental focus on technique after.

My theory atleast
>>
>>2471597
this is literally the only way to get better at anything

an absence of self-awareness gets you nowhere
>>
NOT OP

But I always wanted to draw yet I didn't have the courage to start because I felt like I couldn't do it. When I try to draw something as simple as a circle or cube my hand feels stiff. Like I have to force it to move. When I try to draw something in one quick motion it ends up being super distorted. I think I have bad spatial awareness and imagination. I can't rotate an object in my mind. I am bad at remembering things. I can only remember them abstractly.

Is there hope for me? I would need a course that would start from the lowest possible level. Like teaching addition and substraction in math. I have the patience to put in the work over a long time as long as I know I will keep progressing and no day practicing will go to waste with no results.

I want to be able to draw things I imagine. Like for example sketch designs and do figure drawings.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 612x487) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 612x487
Youll never git Gud.

Maybe you should up can getgud at checking these digits.
>>2471354
No but really, what do you expect as an answer? 42 maybe?

Just do yo shit and maybe you git Gud or maybe you'll die. No one can tell you how it will go except yourself.
>>
You can have an excellent plan down to a T, read a hundred books, know every fundamental in theory and still be trash when you put pen to paper if you don't practice regulary. Mileage is vastly important.

That said, if you 'just draw' and don't try to study/learn art you'll not get good very fast either.
>>
>>2471633
Pretty gud photoship skills dude.
Nice get by t.way
>>
Is there a book that will guarantee that you will get good if you follow it?
>>
>>2471699
No book will get you good, just practice, studying and self-criticism.

Don't just draw, understand what you're drawing. See why certain parts of the body move the way they do and such.
>>
>>2471633
You are a madman of doubles, how did you do it

I envy you
>>
>>2471715
Well obviously I don't mean simply reading the book but doing the exercises. Like is there a book that starts from the lowest level and holds your hand instead of giving vague kung-fu master like wisdom?

Let's start from the very bottom. Let's say I want to learn how to draw (almost) perfect circles. Do I just keep drawing them many times? Do I use a guide first?

Then what about drawing different shapes in different perspectives from imagination? How exactly do I learn to know how a cube looks from a certain angle? How do I teach my hand to move the right way?
>>
>>2471737
You sound under-aged.
There's no chance you will be as good as you want to be in at least 3 years.

If you want to get good fast but are short on time. Practice shapes and lines for 1 hour, draw references for 1 hour and draw origonals based on references for 1 hour every day.
Before you start drawing the next day look over your work from yesterday and look for something you want to improve.

Rinse lather and eventually you'll have gitten gud.
>>
>>2471370
you got worse...?

unless right is before and left is after
>>
>>2471633
/thread
>>
>>2471354
and read the Bible, and if you're really mad the Aenid as well.
>>
File: 1458895619236.gif (289 KB, 177x177) Image search: [Google]
1458895619236.gif
289 KB, 177x177
>>2471633
Absolute Madman
>>
>>2471699
Sure, there are books with exercises:
"Composition: Understanding Line, Notan and Color"
"Harding's Lessons on Drawing"
"The Elements of Drawing"

Obviously only certain topics. I haven't found books for all fundamentals yet.
>>
>>2471886
Nice bait. S/he improved.
>>
>>2473327
presumably this is samefagging but i'll reply anyway. The figure on the left has character, the figure on the right is flat pissgarbage. One is a success, one is a failure.
>>
>>2471370
Left is much more dynamic, interesting, and stylish. I can see you've improved in other areas though.
>>
>>2471354
No.

Somebody post that dA autist who drew thousands of obese swimsuit furries but is still beginner tier.
>>
File: 18 - pthYXew.png (187 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
18 - pthYXew.png
187 KB, 700x600
>>2471354
Listen to TLG
>>
It depends a lot on you. I know artists, who almost never do any studies but are excellent at drawing without references. DanielC comes to mind. He just looks at the visual world and breaks it down in his mind without the need to reinforce it with studies.
Then there are artists who need to repeat studies over and over and over again until it finally sticks.
Either way, try to wark smart instead of relying on just working hard. Both combined will make you a good artist.
>>
>>2473327
>S/he
This is not college fuccboi.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.