[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How am I supposed to draw a box correctly in perspective if I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: U1q9tdt.gif (164 KB, 80x60) Image search: [Google]
U1q9tdt.gif
164 KB, 80x60
How am I supposed to draw a box correctly in perspective if I keep getting confusing information, just by looking, as well as from that dumbass Proko?

"top and bottom lines will converge towards eachother/slightly up, slightly down"

"box shapes irl don't do that".

There's gotta be a way to make this shit easier for me to grasp/draw. I'm dying to draw people.

Also, what the hell counts on here as "not" symbol drawing? Any time I've seen someone post a sketch of an eye, or face, or anything, they get "lol symbol drawing" when it wasn't. And they'd give no explanation as to how it was symbol drawing/how to NOT make it symbol drawing.
>>
Please post this potentially bait in the question thread.
>>
>Also, what the hell counts on here as "not" symbol drawing? Any time I've seen someone post a sketch of an eye, or face, or anything, they get "lol symbol drawing" when it wasn't.

Two possibilities: either it was, and you can't tell
Or, it wasn't and the poster was full of shit

This is why you don't come to 4chan for advise.
>>
>>2470521

Well, can you tell me whats "not" symbol drawing? I saw this dude get shit on for drawing an eye, just the eye. Nothing else, no eye lashes, but he got torn apart for "symbol drawing".
>>
>>2470534
Eyes are the most stereotypical image to a beginner draws and it's almost always symbol drawing, no construction. An eye is a ball with a disc stuck on it covered by eye lids. They don't usually draw that.
>>
>>2470539

thats what i saw done, though. the guy didnt shade, and even said he didnt bother shading, and they still tore him apart.
>>
>>2470542
I didn't see it, so I can't comment on it. I don't really know what you expect from this.
>>
File: loomis_eyes.jpg (46 KB, 386x540) Image search: [Google]
loomis_eyes.jpg
46 KB, 386x540
>>2470542
I'm guessing it was probably symbol drawing and you can't tell at this stage. The way I define symbol drawing is that someone is drawing what they think they see, without proper construction. Construction isn't just made of shading, the line themselves give indication of a 3d shape within a perspective. Beginners tend to do a flat shape, which has no volume. With the eye it should feel like there is a ball behind the eyelids. Loomis does a nice example here. With more time you should be able to tell more, keep practicing.
>>
File: 0O7P8gu.jpg (1 MB, 1275x7630) Image search: [Google]
0O7P8gu.jpg
1 MB, 1275x7630
>>2470534
>>
>>2470593
Still symbol drawing, perhaps a nice introduction to observation and copying, but the examples are still incredibly flat.
>>
>>2470609
No, being incredibly flat doesn't mean it's symbol drawing, you fucks need to understand what it means and stop saying "stop symbol drawing" to everyone. Symbol drawing means you look at something, and instead of copying what you see, you look down at the page and say "alright here there's an eye" and you will draw something like pic related, which is what the human brain understands an eye looks like. The example the person in that image made is NOT symbol drawing, because he is trying to draw the actual shapes of the eye, even if it looks terrible.
>>
>>2470609
Stop pretending that you know what you're talking about.
>>
>>2470623
Not everyones symbols are the same anon, whether it's almond or even if it looks more like the correct shape a symbol is still a representation of what the brain thinks an object is (which i mentioned in my description above, ta for not reading). Being incredibly flat is not necessary for the definition, but I find a common result. Not totally interested in an argument on words and definitions, just going to put it out there though that there are varying degrees of symbols.
>>
>>2470542
>>2470510

...It's YOU again, isn't it?
>>
>>2470688
certainly looks like it
>>
>>2470759
>>2470688

maybe it is, but I was drawing exactly what I saw and was still getting bombarded with symbol drawing horseshit. Instead of being told exactly what I needed to add/fix. I would draw the ball of the eye, and the top/bottom eyelids. I didn't shade and they still looked flat for whatever reason.
>>
Wait... Check ur wrists bro.
>>
>>2470510
you post the same shit over and over with varying degrees of anger. Your shit because you have a mental black in your brain where you process what you see and then proceed to tell your brain what you see. To put it in writing form

brain sees eye- brain thinks eye - brain draws what it thinks of when it thinks eye

you're just tricking yourself because you look back and forth between reference and your work and think " yea thats an eye"

try this

brain sees eye- brain breaks down eye into simple shapes, working largest shape inward to the smallest- brain uses these shapes to form the eye true to how it exists in the refrence

even though it may not contain visable eyelashes, folds ect. It's about more then re-creating what the picture is, its about re-creating what you see in the picture you doofus. Because if you re-create something without understanding theses factors, you get your current work, and thats what you think a person looks like, not what they actually look like
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.