[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
fuck my hands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9
File: fuck.png (62 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
62 KB, 700x700
Why cant i draw a simple straight line?
i try so goddamn hard and i just cant draw a straight line
i get all the vitamins and minerals and shit i need
im almost never tired when i draw
my tablets calibrated just fine
i dont get it.
is there a really good drawing program with a brush that makes your lines not shitty?
i have no clue
please help
>>
>>2464350
>>
>>2468597
You're not gonna make it.
>>
>>2468597
On a tablet, if you move the pen really fast, you might get a straighter line than usual.

It also might be because you're drawing on PS and a tablet. If you draw slowly in PS, you get jittery lines.

What program are you using?
>>
File: practice.png (220 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
practice.png
220 KB, 700x700
>>2468631
sai
also i found out that if i try using my arm instead of my wrist to draw it looks a little bit better, but not much and your hand gets tired as hell
>>
>>2468652
Arm*
>>
>>2468652
It's not super important to be able to freehand a perfectly straight line, anyway.

If you do quick or quick-ish strokes, it helps give you straighter lines and nicer curves.

Is your tablet's active area configured to be the same proportions/aspect ratio as your monitor? If it isn't, I know it will tend to make your circles come out as ovals.

I'm not sure about SAI, but in PS you can tap with the brush on point A, then hold shift and tap on point B, and it draws a straight line between the two points. Release shift, then repeat the process to draw more straight lines.
>>
>>2468597
Spend about a week drawing circles and straight lines on A4 paper. As many pages as you can each day, quantity over quality in this case. Traditionally with a pencil. Force yourself to draw from the elbow and shoulder, lock your wrist, don't move it at all.
I'm not kidding, speaking from experiance, went from scribble mess to perfect feehand circles and straight lines in a week
>>
>>2469069
FYI, I am a digital artist too, but you just don't pick this stuff up unless you do it traditionally, especially if you are working on some small drawing tablet. The skill gained carries over to the digital medium
>>
>>2468597
chicken scratch zoom + delete
also rotate until you can do a straight line
thats why paint tool SAI is the best at lineart because his rotate engine is the faster in the market
>>
>>2469069
not OP but this is very encouraging

I'm on day 2 of doing this and not seeing much success, like OP my lines are just shaky messes
>>
>>2468597
Look where the line is going, not where the point of the pencil/tablet pen/etc is.
>>
File: IMG_3702.jpg (276 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3702.jpg
276 KB, 1000x750
tfw cant even draw a god damn circle

>loomis cant save me
>>
File: ruler.jpg (43 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
ruler.jpg
43 KB, 900x900
If only there was some kind of device that could help you draw straight lines
>>
>>2469243
this op no rules just tools
>>
>>2469262
the point of learning to freehand straight lines is to gain control of your drawing. When during drawing you decide where a line should be, you should be able to put it exactly there, not just draw some random line and roll with it. Rulers also tend to suck a life out of drawing. Those tiny inconsistencies in freehand strokes make a drawing much more life.
>>
>>2469243
Ha Ha Ha Ha...

Not going to make it.
>>
>>2469280
Nice meme.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2469069
>>2469078
This freehand pokeball looking thing proves my supreme mastery of line
>>
>>2469165
Draw so many fucking lines and circles and shit that you can no longer see white on your page. Double sided.
>>
>>2469178

well, you obviously haven't paid much attention to your loomis drawings or taken your time because your features are all in the wrong place.

eyes are too close together in all of them. cheek bones placed at an incorrect height in all of them. eyes in the first picture placed above the brow line... etc.

circles isn't your problem anon, just basic observational skills.
>>
>put down line
>immediate urge to plunge pen into eye
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 672x419) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 672x419
Haven't you heard of the ligameme? It's crucial for straight lines.
>>
>>2468597
Just us the straight line tool in digital work, and learn to draw straight lines on paper instead.
>>
>>2468597
Try plot the 2 points of the line first. As in draw two dots for the start and finish of the line, then ghost it a few times, then draw it.
>>
>>2469165
When I started I overdid it a bit and filled around 50 pages both sides with straight lines, ellipses, circles. Now most of my lines are dead on straight.

It took about a week iirc.
>>
>>2472223
That is a good point. I think if you start your pencil somewhere and then look at where you want to have your line end and then draw with mostly focusing where you want to go you will get a straighter line. Of course it has to be done swiftly.
>>
File: fuck.png (12 KB, 656x423) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
12 KB, 656x423
>>2468597
I hope you're drawing with your arm and not your fucking wrist. Make one quick and fast motion in the direction you want your line. They don't have to be perfectly straight off the bat, and you don't have to torture yourself by doing non-stop muscle control exercises for weeks like some people here would like you to believe. Just get in the habit of making fluid and nice lines and you'll make it.
>>
>>2470818
Thank you for this.
>>
>>2468683
Not OP but I just checked my tablet settings and my tablet is different aspect ratio than my monitor. I've been doing this for 4 months fucccck
>>
>>2468597
I honeslty can't believe nobody has told you this. If you want a straight line just click on a point hold shift and click on another. If you actually wan't to draw it, keep practicing.
>>
>>2469078
You should be using a claw grip with your stylus anyway, it kinda stops you from using your wrist. Index and middle finger on the two buttons, ring finger on the bottom. Thumb rests opposite of your fingers.
>>
File: happy.png (416 KB, 1600x2000) Image search: [Google]
happy.png
416 KB, 1600x2000
>>2475896
Op here, this post is /thread, im not about that drawing ten million lines life, but its not a straight line i was talking about, its a non shaky line as in my line is a ll bumpy and shit. not to make a whole thread pointless but i totally forgot about this and went back to drawing and did this
my lines are still a little shaky but they work
>>
>>2480143
To be honest a lot of the problem usually comes from if you have a Palmaris Longus ligament or not. It affects your hand control and could explain it. Pic is my lines
>>
>>2480143
>>2480468
no excuses
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.