[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beginner Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 93
File: 28_plate_I_1_eyes.jpg (2 MB, 2095x2785) Image search: [Google]
28_plate_I_1_eyes.jpg
2 MB, 2095x2785
Because we should not have to make new threads or post in draw threads with our fundamental exercises.
Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, do not give up, make your mom proud.

AVOID asking unrelated questions, There is a question thread for that.

Visit the usual "Art book Thread" to find your desired books.

Do not forget to PLEASE RESIZE and crop your images before uploading them. 1kpx is fine.
Before asking "what should I read/view/study/learn," Read the f*cking sticky, it's there for a reason: >>1579290 (Cross-thread) → →
There's a new sticky in town! You can see it at https://www.reddit.com/comments/46sb9k/

>Thread study: Try to draw/paint the opening or any other following images.
Feel free to post your original works as well if you're trash.

TRY TO BE MORE ACTIVE AND GIVE PEOPLE SOME FEEDBACK - many studies are left unreplied, which is a bit sad and can be quite demotivating for the people that try their best to improve, but are left directionless.

Old thread: >>2457974
>>
Why is it so hard to draw from imagination?

I've been drawing heads from reference for about a month now and made really solid progress. Tonight I tried to draw a friend's face from memory, it took me like 15 minutes and it came out horrible.
>>
>>2464417
We process faces both separately and differently than other objects anon. Try drawing your friend several times over a couple of weeks with reference and try again from imagination shortly after each time.
>>
>>2464424
Makes sense. Thanks.!
>>
Where to get more high quality plates?

Don't want to pay millions of dollaridoos and Google is pretty variable.
>>
File: itsshits.jpg (195 KB, 1893x927) Image search: [Google]
itsshits.jpg
195 KB, 1893x927
Best I can do in 1 minute.

What should I work on the most?
>>
>>2464462
Nma
>>
>>2464893
The good thing about 1 minute gestures is the fact that you'll see whether or not you can capture the pose within 60 seconds.
I look at your drawings and I don't have to think about the pose each figure is in, which is where you want to be in 1 minute.

So, what I would do next, is to raise the time to about 2 - 3 minutes, and start focusing on really getting the proportion down. This is easily the hardest part, so it'll take a while to understand completely. If it's too hard, or you're taking too much time doing comparative measure, move up to 5 minutes. You'll get faster and faster regardless.

Ultimately, you want to be able to nail the proportions, gesture, important landmarks within 3-5 minutes within a pose. Then spend the next 5 - 10 minutes blocking in shadow shapes and actually working on creating a focus for the viewers to look at.

It'll take time, so don't rush. You're off to a good start.
>>
>>2464893
Thanks for the input. I'll try to add the 2 minute poses to my routine then.

Another concept I think I have not fully understood by now is when Vilppu talks about going 'over and around' the figure, I never seem to really get the lines so that they truly indicate as to where the shape is going in space. They always look so stiff and are actually taking flow and dynamic out of the pose in my gesture drawings.
>>
>>2464914
>>2464928
>>
File: just look at your hand.png (577 KB, 770x1000) Image search: [Google]
just look at your hand.png
577 KB, 770x1000
>>2464848
>>
>>2464928
try doing the over and around shit with simple forms first, as he suggests in his drawing manual.

that helps you understand what he's talking about.

you want to visualize your pencil tip moving on top of a 3d form on the 2d paper.

when you apply this to a figure drawing it really comes down to a knowledge of anatomy to know where the flesh rises or falls, but that'll come with experience.
>>
File: ballet.png (1 MB, 1600x1108) Image search: [Google]
ballet.png
1 MB, 1600x1108
I feel like I haven't been improving lately, so I've signed up for a beginners art class.
How beginner are these things usually?
I don't want to be the shit one

Syllabus for reference
http://artacademy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/EC1503414DrawingforBeginners_Monday_7.45AH_DONE.pdf
>>
>>2464984
I can't answer that, but I think you should do some negative space practices.
>>
>>2465011
>negative space practices

read what that is
immediately notice hundreds of things wrong with it

t-thanks
>>
>>2464462
https://picasaweb.google.com/104620822473004383244/CharleBargueBookPlatesDrawings?feat=directlink
>>
File: a-magu 2.jpg (208 KB, 700x900) Image search: [Google]
a-magu 2.jpg
208 KB, 700x900
Can someone help me with this? I don't know if it's the color or the tone, but something is really messed up, specially with the skin but I can't figure what's exactly.

Thanks in advance
>>
So I'm trying to get better. I'm practicing drawing from reference, mostly photos (from life when I get the chance). I'm having a very hard time drawing what I see. I've done some research/reading on drawing what I see vs symbol drawing (which I think is what I'm doing) but I can't seem to convince my brain it's wrong.

I did some blind contour drawings, which supposedly help make a connection between what I see and what I'm drawing. I've done the upside-down drawing exercises. I've focused on drawing the negative space around the subject. I've tried drawing the light/dark value shapes instead of the features of the subject. I'm still not getting it, it still feels as frustrating as ever. Does it get easier? Should I just keep doing these exercises until I have some breakthrough? Am I missing something? I understand it will take a lot of work, I'm just wondering if I'm on the right path.

I've been drawing a long time now, but I've never been good at accurately drawing from reference and I feel it's hurting my progress, so I've decided to buckle down and learn. It's tough. I've read/watched everything I can. Any advice? Is it just a matter of doing it a lot?
>>
When drawing from reference, am I still supposed to build up what I'm drawing with 3D shapes, Loomis style, or just draw what I'm looking at? Or personal preference?
>>
>>2465100
are you doing blind contours of photographs?

if so, do it from life. draw the shit in your room. then draw other shit in your house. then go in your backyard. then outside your home.
>>
File: 68.jpg (90 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
68.jpg
90 KB, 1000x1000
Is constructing a female face the same as a male face?
>>
>>2465168

I think so in terms of basic proportion but there are still a lot of idiosyncracies to look out for when going beyond that, such as the shape of the jaw and the eyebrows.
>>
>>2465105
I'd like to know this as well.
>>
>>2465105
Understanding that everything is literally just shapes makes drawing easier. Once you get that through your head and understand it you can use other styles to draw and it should come out how you intend it to be.
>>
>>2465105
Loomis is building with 3d shapes just in Loomis's way, just try to simplify everything into 3d shapes in your way or someone else's way, this is what helps draw from imagination. Your brain cant comprehend shit like 53232 divided by 323 unless you simplify it first. Drawing what youre looking at is something fundamental you should learn and develop over time
>>
>>2465115
Not samefag but sameproblem, so, just keep trying from life till i get better results right?
>>
>>2465237
why are you drawing form life? What results are you trying to get exactly?
>>
File: TRYING.jpg (35 KB, 528x960) Image search: [Google]
TRYING.jpg
35 KB, 528x960
Working on cartoonish features and expressions without the use of a reference. Advice?
>>
>>2465115
Ok, to what end though? Is this something that will make drawing what I see easier over time? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be learning from this, or if it's just training I should be doing for the brain to interpret things. THanks
>>
>>2465242
The idea is that your hand does what you want it to do, so better hand-eye coordination. That way you can also look more at your subject than your paper. Your subject might be temporary, the paper stays for a longer.
>>
>>2465248
Ok, I'll do some of those.

Anything else? I'm not sure hand-eye coordination is my biggest problem at the moment. I feel like I keep drawing what I think my subject should look like, instead of what I see in front of me, and I can't seem to get around that. I can't shut my brain off and just draw what's in front of me, if that makes any sense.
>>
File: 20160330_145050.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160330_145050.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Flip it yourself ;)
>>
>>2465265
flip this dick
>>
>>2464350
does anyone have any idiot proof guides/tutorials for bargue plates

i know i'm supposed to replicate them but i'm confused at the details
>>
>>2465238
I want to draw what i see in front of me and get better at drawing in general.
>>
File: 20160330_191454.jpg (293 KB, 1333x1427) Image search: [Google]
20160330_191454.jpg
293 KB, 1333x1427
>>2465218
Any critique?
>>
>>2465418
>
yo fukkin thighs 2 skinny chicken leg
>>
>>2465418
Maybe anatomically incorrect, but the legs have a charm
>>
tfw bought 6 golden acrylic paint tubes, palette, medium, brushes, and canvas but dont know how to paint at all... and really bad with colors.. point me in the right direction /ic thanks
>>
>>2465438
Nma
>>
File: 865423.png (119 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
865423.png
119 KB, 500x378
I don't know where to start, what do i work on first? Do you do one thing at a time like work on anatomy for so long, then do heads, then do perspective etc how long do you even spend on each one? Or is it a matter of trying to do all of them at once? I know i need to just be drawing more and as much as i possibly can each day to git gud but i just can't get myself to start and i have no idea what i should even be drawing in order to improve. Not knowing EXACTLY what i should be doing doesn't help, like i need actual step by step instruction and planning or something.
>>
>>2465469
Wasn't there a guide to git gud in 1 year to show how to approach drawing? You can tackle that and go on from there.
>>
>>2465469
I am in the same boat. I am on two weeks now and I feel like I have done nothing at all. I've dabbled in anatomy, gesture drawing and slightly perspective. My gesture drawings look like ass. I think the thing I understood most was the anatomy and framing. But honestly I don't know where to start. I just want to hurry and get good so I can draw my own hentai.
>>
>>2465469
>What do I need to draw to improve

Draw whatever the fuck you want to draw and use fundamentals to improve as you go on

>Want to draw anime characters
Draw fucking anime characters while constantly improving with studying anatomy, good anime, color, poses, etc...

>want to draw animals well
study form and shapes of animals

>Want to draw environments
study environments and again improving on fundamentals, value, color, form, perspective etc....

just use your common sense while drawing what you want to draw, 99.999% of people won't go anywhere just grinding random fundamentals, draw what you fucking want
>>
>>2465472
Written all the way to "mastery" by someone who isn't a master. It has a good guideline but I feel is very biased, although not a bad place to get a ballpark estimate. Grain of salt, always.
>>
>>2465472
Got a link for that?
>>
>>2465100
You're not going to convince your brain, hardwired by evolution to see symbolically, that it's wrong. You just need to turn it into habit so it comes a little easier every time you draw. Concentrating on small areas might help, so you don't see the full face or bodypart or whatever.
>>
>>2465241
youre symbol drawing your eyelashes.
>>2465265
reported
>>
>>2465469
Just do draw a box or ctrl paint and actually DRAW all the assignments
They are both very well structured.
>>
File: study.jpg (58 KB, 528x960) Image search: [Google]
study.jpg
58 KB, 528x960
My class ended early today so I decided to go to a figure drawing session. Ten minutes, ballpoint pen. I have so much trouble with hands.
>>
>>2464914
Best response
>>
I haven't drawn anything since february and now it feels like shitting rusty nails.
How do i get back in shape faster?
>>
>>2465817
keep drawing
>>
How do you bridge the gap between traditional, and digital?
>>
Taking the habit of always having a notebook and a pencil with me so I can sketch anywhere. This is someone I drew on the train yesterday. Oh these trains and all their shaking...
>>
>>2465885
Going through this myself. Experiment, practice, find whatever works for you. Go watch some tutorial videos to get the idea of the techniques of digital drawing.
Also don't let your mind trick you into painting fast or lazy because it's the computer and you can undo. Take it slowly and think while you practice even if you're getting used to the pen tablet.
>>
File: asadsadadadsa.png (338 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
asadsadadadsa.png
338 KB, 768x1024
>Begingen tells me to go to Stylegen
>Stylegen tells me to go back
can't win.
>>
>>2465996
use reference for the pose
>>
>>2465999
Fucking thank you, at least you give critique/tips.
I've never used a reference for anything other than studying life, I I used that phrase correctly.
Do I use the art school modelling site for that, or should I just google?
>>
File: a4f4.png (244 KB, 462x692) Image search: [Google]
a4f4.png
244 KB, 462x692
>>2465996
maybe something like this idk anatomy is hard
>>
>>2466000
>>2465999
whatever pose resource you can find and is useful...
>>
File: 1445645979988.jpg (57 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1445645979988.jpg
57 KB, 500x375
Which is the most useful book for seeing/thinking in 3D?
>>
File: fs1 small.jpg (260 KB, 600x889) Image search: [Google]
fs1 small.jpg
260 KB, 600x889
too many muscles
>>
File: Blook Butt.jpg (229 KB, 1451x571) Image search: [Google]
Blook Butt.jpg
229 KB, 1451x571
>>2466050
Fun With a Pencil
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 465x386) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 465x386
Quick sketch at work during break. I've been drawing feet for a few weeks now and it's so much fun.
>>
File: IMG_2120.jpg (134 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2120.jpg
134 KB, 900x675
Day one of gesture study. Any glaring issues?
>>
>>2466089
How long have you been drawing?
>>
>>2466101
Loosen up, draw bigger. If you want to draw gesture, focus on the gesture.
>>
>>2466101
What did you learn from these gestures?

Also they all have some really glaring proportion issues, most obviously the legs. To be honest at this level gestures don't help too much, what exactly did you learn from them? Are you blindly just doing gestures because ic told you?
>>
>>2465292
bump
>>
probably a stupid question but i dld a color wheel for cs6 and have it saved in my workspace but it wont fucking 'snap' to the inside of the window. how do i get it to go that? its annoying cause it thinks it can just sit right the fuck where it wants and not have to move anywhere
>>
>>2465069

I'm not sure where your light source is supposed to be... the highlighting on the red uniform that colour is not consistent.
>>
>>2465418

No calf muscles.
>>
>>2466104
4 weeks. At first I was grinding drawing the shape of a wedge and then the footprint. But the form is starting to slowly getting together.
>>
Can someone help me to sum up the fundamentals to master before trying something else?

- Perspective
- Anatomy
- Gesture/figure drawing
- Light & shadows (values)
- Colors ?

What else?
>>
>>2466324
Observation.
Composition.
>>
>>2466257

i love it when people lie on anonymous image boards. just lie to your friends you nigger people here at least are sometimes trying to help you
>>
>>2465952
Bump?
>>
>>2466392
maybe he meant that hes drawing feet for 4 weeks?
would be hard to belive that he would draw that smoth after just one month of practise
>>
File: Untitled-1wef.jpg (291 KB, 1790x1110) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1wef.jpg
291 KB, 1790x1110
>>
>start with body
>head ends up too small
>start with head
>body ends up WAY too goddamn small
How to keep proportions in check? Is there a recommended place to start?

Also, all I do are front-facing people. Should I focus on that until I have it down or practice with other perspectives at the same time? I've tried a couple profile views and they looks like shit.
>>
>>2466324
Accuracy.
>>
>>2466437
What do you mean by that? Proportions?
>>
>>2466443
Yes, this guy helped me a lot.
http://www.learning-to-see.co.uk/effective-practice
>>
>>2466456
Thanks, I knew that intuitively but I didn't think of applying it, I'll try I guess.

>>2466366
And thank you too
>>
>>2466472
Welcome to skill learning.
You'll experience that a lot.
>>
>>2465069
I mean it's totally unrelated but I just dislike that coloring and painting style in general for digital art, like unless this is in a semi-final stage I just think that blurry brush look is a little offputting
>>
File: photo_2016-03-22_01-58-49.jpg (122 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-03-22_01-58-49.jpg
122 KB, 960x1280
this is metroid from metroid I drew in class while a guest speaker was talking about comics. I know there's some issues just in general perspective and it's way too messy and wonky lines but it's probably the only thing I've drawn where I'm like "that looks like something should look like"
>>
>>2466101
looks a hella of a lot better than my day ones but then again i think I think too much when trying to draw mine.
>>
>>2466509

Read the sticky
>>
>>2466636
I've read the sticky, I know what I need to work on, I'm not gonna be good right away, and I'm not gonna spend ALL my drawing time doing conceptual figure drawings and exercises
>>
>>2466641
Just keep drawing whatever makes you happy, eventually you will see your own shortcomings and you will be self motivated to do studies to improve. It's better to develop daily habits of getting your pen on paper
>>
File: 1mingesture.jpg (153 KB, 1275x1650) Image search: [Google]
1mingesture.jpg
153 KB, 1275x1650
Why do my gestures look like ass?
>>
>>2466688
Cuz you don't know what the fuck you're doing?
>>
>>2466194
I was studying heads for a month and wanted to start learning the body alongside it.

As for learning, I think I understand a little better how weight is distributed on the body and how limbs need to flow into eachother instead of a sticklike drawing.
>>
>>2466427
Where the hell is her tail supposed to be coming from?
>>
>>2466688
Stop petting your lines, get some paper and charcoal and study line weight.
>>
How much is my shoulder supposed to hurt?
>>
>>2466688
Grab a pencil and do it by hand. If you're trying to draw gesture, draw gesture. You don't need the cross contours at this point. Draw larger and practice line economy, ghost the lines in if you're unsure of your strokes, but don't draw the same line over and over if you make a mistake, it'll only draw attention to it.
>>
I like how presentable the picture is though, the colors are nicely picked but, your "coloring/shading" leaves a lot to left to be desired. Also, it's ok to exaggerate, just try to make it look like you know what you're doing.. Don't forget to check your faces when you draw styled stuff, it's easy to get off track sometimes, here : https://i.ytimg.com/vi/cGkS6Lor8kY/maxresdefault.jpg
>>
>>2466807
>>2465996
>>
>>2466688
get a teeny bit more detail. i think that should force you to work with more balance. particular the hands and feet
>>
>>2466802
it's not supposed to hurt
>>
>>2466427
>Paris hilton the mermaid offers you a "fetch deal" on some crystal meth
>>
>>2466058
Love this
>>
>>2465265

b-but if I flip it the bottle will slip out of his hand as he is not holding it.
>>
What do you guys think of this comment?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Art/comments/4cp4x0/6_months_learning_to_draw_digital_and_traditional/d1kbvaq

>I agree. I took art classes for a long time. This included life drawing, where we'd draw nude models with charcoal for six hours a week, for three years.
>At the end, I was still awful. I definitely improved, learned some techniques, and I'd occasionally get a drawing that I was proud of, but my drawings were nothing special by any means.
>>
>>2466884
Wrong thread.
>>
>>2466884
>talent
He just didn't (have the spark) work had enough.
>>
>>2464350
I've posted a few times before, but when I post, I dunno if I should be posting in some threads.
Am I still beginner?
I've been drawing for a while, but last 3 years I've tried to take it more seriously.
I did this drawing in 20 minutes, I dunno if that's any indicative of anything.
>>
>>2466424
Where do you think you are? logic and critical thought have no place here.
>>
File: 1mingesturecharcoal.jpg (112 KB, 734x1282) Image search: [Google]
1mingesturecharcoal.jpg
112 KB, 734x1282
>>2466800
>>2466806
Been doing that for hours. If you want to see it, here it is.
>>
>>2466937
It sort of looks like her eye is a horses eye.
>>
>>2466963
Well, it's a little stylized.
I can see what you mean tho.
Thanks for the crit
>>
>>2466937
you definitely have a better idea of drawing than most beginners in this thread

but for /ic/ standards you should still stay here
>>
File: 1453491426279.png (122 KB, 277x325) Image search: [Google]
1453491426279.png
122 KB, 277x325
>>2466976
Thanks for the input
>>
File: rdt.jpg (227 KB, 896x672) Image search: [Google]
rdt.jpg
227 KB, 896x672
latest scribbles.
>>
File: wrt.jpg (114 KB, 896x672) Image search: [Google]
wrt.jpg
114 KB, 896x672
>>2466988
this just happened with dots, I'm not impressed.
>>
So, I'm noticing that there's a clear divide between drawing from observation and drawing from imagination(constructing.)

I suppose a beginner should focus on observational drawing when starting out?
>>
>>2466992
Once you have a good grasp of observational drawing and build up your mental library, drawing from imagination gets a lot easier. But it takes a while to do it well.
>>
>>2466937
Can I ask what your routine was for three years? What books did you study from?
>>
>>2464417

visual library takes a lot longer than that to build
>>
File: 1453421416887.png (17 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
1453421416887.png
17 KB, 180x200
>>2466997
- I would draw sparingly in my free time. Let's say 1-3 sketches every 3 times a week.
- No real book study until I discovered /ic/.
I have some trouble with perspective, so I bought the recommended perspective book in the sticky.

I didn't start doing fundamentals (construction, and such) until maybe halfway through those 3 years.

Most of what I drew was from things and people I would watch and observe, and my basic understanding of how other artists work, and learning shortcuts for how to draw things.

I'd recommend to pick up a life drawing class, and doing that. I feel like that polished my skills the most. Speed-wise and gave me a better understanding of anatomy.

Then again, I'm a "beginner", so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
>>
File: 20160331_204529.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160331_204529.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Can I get some criticism or pointers? I'm trying to draw someone screaming and it all looks awkward and unnatural
>>
>>2466808
Thank you friend for the help.
>>
File: idontknow.jpg (40 KB, 550x289) Image search: [Google]
idontknow.jpg
40 KB, 550x289
>>2467079
WHY IS EVERYONE SCREAMING? WHY AM I SCREAMING?
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
>>
File: 1445125119777.jpg (438 KB, 756x950) Image search: [Google]
1445125119777.jpg
438 KB, 756x950
Why is drawing so hit-and-miss for beginners?

I can take two random heads, draw one of them fairly well in 5 minutes, and have the other one take me 20-30 minutes covering every idiosyncrasy and still come out nothing like how it should.
>>
>>2467079
>Do not forget to PLEASE RESIZE and crop your images before uploading them. 1kpx is fine.
>>
>>2467104
Because you don't know what the fuck you're doing and relying on getting lucky.
>>
>>2467104
Because we beginners dont actually know how to do stuff, we are stumpling forward, sometimes it leads us somewhere, but often it is just repeated hittinng the ground. Learn how to do stuff and you dont have to hope for happy accidents anymore.
>>
>>2467108
Sorry. I will be more careful next time. Any tips on improving, though?
>>
What are good books for beginners? I rather slowly work my way up rather than just plunge myself in.
>>
>>2467126
For really beginning I've had more luck with videos, specifically Peter Han's Dynamic sketching and ctrlpaint.com They go slow and really focus on the most basic basics which is extremely helpful for a beginner
>>
>>2467126
1.Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
Gives you the whole unglamoured view what artmaking is about, what you can expect and what you should look out for.
2.Perspective Made Easy by Ernest Norling
Some basics. Greatly helps with any further stuff, also recommended http://drawabox.com/
Basically you learn how to draw lines, etc... all the stuff you dont want to fight with while you are busy learning the other stuff.
3.Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
or alternativly
Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson
Good recommended beginner books. While you are working with them, read: "Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told Me About the Creative Life"

Should you keep busy for some month.
>>
What level of stabilization do those of you with tablets use ?
>>
>>2464984
I can tell that you are copying the image but not fully "understanding" what you are drawing. Analyze and be aware of the three dimensional form of the figure
>>
File: Zps_2016-03-31_22-38-57.png (286 KB, 1658x1001) Image search: [Google]
Zps_2016-03-31_22-38-57.png
286 KB, 1658x1001
>>2467104
probably because you dont do construction and your margin of error/per stroke is higher. A nice part of being a beg is that when you make a stroke longer accidentally it can teach you a ton. Kinda like when i accidentally squared off the top of the head on a profile view and it permanently stayed in my style.
>>
File: Untitled.png (236 KB, 936x318) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
236 KB, 936x318
learning the construction of the skull

the horizontal line isn't supposed to be the browline since it goes through the eyes right? in all previous examples Loomis' horizontal line is the browline
>>
Anyone try the Watts Atelier online classes? I hear a lot of people recommending ateliers in general and Watts especially, but nobody really has talked about the online class. If it's desired, I can do a before/after in a month since I feel there's not enough comparison pictures for different courses and study methods.
>>
>>2467233
What kind of art do you want to create? Do you want to do academic atelier style drawings/paintings?
>>
>>2467249
I just want to get good enough at fundamentals that I can later branch out into whatever I find interesting. I feel like it's too early for me to decide specifically what I want to do since I'm nowhere near the level where I can make money yet.
>>
>>2467228
I just chalk that up to Loomis fucking up honestly, but it does prove that the concept isn't necessarily set in stone and how you can really morph this shit however you want.
>>
>>2467254

I've taken the online classes just do the drawing part for one month and try it out , its only 100$ which is honestly not that much.

they teach fundamentals, he starts out literally telling you how to hold and use the pencil, move son to still lives than heads/figures.

only thing I would say is its more geared toward figurative work than perspective/environments. There are those parts of the program but there the minority.

as far as jobs you have the right idea try a little of everything then specialize. be a jack of all trades master of one.Its honestly hard to even say what you like until you get to a high level in it.
>>
>>2466497
It's not even close to be finished but I just don't know what is wrong with it/how to correct it.

>>2466237

Thanks, I will try using only one lightsource to get the colors right.
>>
File: lines.jpg (1020 KB, 1520x2447) Image search: [Google]
lines.jpg
1020 KB, 1520x2447
i feel like i cheated on some of these lines cause it made an indent on the paper and my pen just followed that
>>
>>2466061
This is hilarious to me. Like, this random dude never knew, all those years ago, that his cheeky 50's art would be used for a budding generation of people drawing sexy ladies online.
>>
>>2467407

Loomis was pretty big on drawing sexy ladies himself, so I don't think he would be too surprised, perhaps pleasantly so.
>>
Does anyone have some tips for drawing hair? I can at least get the rest of the basics down, but hair just eludes me for some horrible reason.
>>
File: image.jpg (298 KB, 1224x920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
298 KB, 1224x920
just some sketches and studies from the ref thread. Can't find a good thread to post in. I forgot I can block in shadows with digi, need to try again later.
>>
File: 1mingesture1.jpg (142 KB, 1275x1650) Image search: [Google]
1mingesture1.jpg
142 KB, 1275x1650
>>2466688
Is this at least an improvement? I'm trying to use as few lines as possible but old habits keep resurfacing.
>>
>>2466991
ive seen that fuckin thing in a dream
>>
>>2467376
what the fuck do you learn by drawing lines?
>>
File: 1mingesturechar1.jpg (100 KB, 802x1426) Image search: [Google]
1mingesturechar1.jpg
100 KB, 802x1426
>>2467501
And the most recent charcoal version I did beforehand. I think I clocked over 3 hours total.
>>
File: Untitled.png (375 KB, 591x505) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
375 KB, 591x505
>>2467510
>what the fuck do you learn by drawing lines?
How to draw a line?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
Figure drawing 15min. Crit?
>>
>>2467510
It's practice for people who can't draw lines well. The entire first lesson of drawabox is about just lines.
>>
File: 1455608869434.png (3 MB, 1400x6521) Image search: [Google]
1455608869434.png
3 MB, 1400x6521
>>2465472

This senpai?
>>
>>2466429
Compose your drawing and then use your pencil to measure the proportions, comparing it to other shapes you've already drawn. Try using a grid or w/e it is called (picture plane?).
>>
I've been looking to try out New Masters Academy. How far should I be in my drawing in terms of read and analyzed books? Is Keys to Drawing good enough or are there good fundamental courses on NMA?
>>
File: Aguri's One Year.jpg (1 MB, 677x7195) Image search: [Google]
Aguri's One Year.jpg
1 MB, 677x7195
>>2465472
Here, I think this is what you're looking for. Couldn't find the link so I made it into an image so that it can be passed around more.
>>
File: Screenshot (8437).png (972 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (8437).png
972 KB, 1920x1080
Is this the right way to start? I feel like method is wrong and im uncertaiun about the next step.

For figure drawing that is
>>
>>2465054
>https://picasaweb.google.com/104620822473004383244/CharleBargueBookPlatesDrawings?feat=directlink

Thanks anon. Will take a closer look later.
>>
>>2466101
Way too stiff. It's ok to put joint locations but don't play connect the dots. Give longer more fluent lines you'll see that you actually start to learn from the gestures
>>
File: 20160329_121716-1.jpg (4 MB, 1855x2695) Image search: [Google]
20160329_121716-1.jpg
4 MB, 1855x2695
Still at the very basics. Decided to try value on a small chair. Why is charcoal so hard to use?
>>
>>2467587
Figure drawing naked is a good way to start.

Also you should study gesture drawing.
>>
>>2467594
Thanks Christian, I think I should focus more on mude to begin with since Im having troubles mapping out legs under clothing.
>>
>>2467587
Start at a more fundamental level. U don't want to jump into gesture drawing if u aren't even comfortable with body proportions yet, or they will always feel off. Watch videos of gesture drawing and see how artists keep fluent lines instead of just connecting the dots
>>
>>2467587
>>2467588
>>2467591
>>2467593
>>2467594
>>2467596
>>2467599
what's with the namefag?
>>
>>2467611
fuck off, dora
>>
>>2467615
i hate this m8 !!
i miss moot and i don't even like this it's to bright !!
>>
>>2467617
beats making everything yellow
>>
>>2467611
what you exploring today, fucker
>>
>>2467618
did they sold 4chan to google ??
>>
>>2467620
i hate this name .. please someone stop this madness ... UNIX DO SOME THING !!
>>
When should I start gesture drawing? Like I've read that it's not something beginners should attempt until they have some understanding of 3D thinking; well, I've been on drawabox for a while and can draw boxes pretty decently from imagination, along with other forms, but I still have a ways to go. I don't want to keep holding off practicing gesture any longer.
>>
>>2467627
I would recommend starting gesture when you start learning body landmarks and proportions. You don't have to be doing anatomy studies, just make sure you somewhat understand what you're doing or else you could mess yourself up and have to go back and relearn. Or just watch the Proko gesture videos and follow that way.
>>
>>2467622
well they added g+ intergration which is nice. I havent F5'd this page yet so its quite possibly the last relic from old four chan
>>
>>2467624
>unix c++ here

the problem right now is ... do not refresh !!!
and the name fag right now is part of an april fools
for some reason the MODS is playing with us

i been lurking around
soo everything i see is the same
>you cannot change the name
>The new dubs is having a a first name and last name that starts with the same letter.
Checkem lads
that is all i know so far ..wish that help DORA !!
>>
Getting Jessica
>>
WHAT'S UP WITH THE NAMEFAG INVASION?
>>
File: 4-1-16.jpg (649 KB, 2200x1700) Image search: [Google]
4-1-16.jpg
649 KB, 2200x1700
Still kicking.

I don't know about ya'll but I think I got a decent enough value scale and gradation chart that I can use to move on to new exercises.
>>
How important is drawing on the right side of the brain? 500 pages in and so far all shes talked about is a disproven theory and how shit American education is, which isn't relevant to me at all
>>
>>2467586
>>2467563
For either of these, should I start with traditional paper and pencil, then move on to digital? Or just go straight to digital?
>>
>>2467688
Honestly just go with whatever you feel most comfortable with. I would recommend doing a lot of traditional and then transition over to digital later because I think that learning traditional first helps you out a lot more, but really it's whatever gives you the most mileage. If you'll draw more going digital because you worry about using up sketchbook pages whenever you use a pencil, stick with digital and get that mileage.
>>
>>2467691
I think I'll do traditional then transition. With traditional, I can at least learn how to place lines and not worry so much about fucking up. I don't even know how to draw a straight line so there's that.
>>
File: full.jpg (76 KB, 251x425) Image search: [Google]
full.jpg
76 KB, 251x425
>>2464350
Been doing this for Art I, about to finish it up with copics (the red shit) not the full picture, my scanner isn't big enough to do that, sadly. Anyways, what do y'all think about it? I guess it's okay, but this was my first time using pen and ink, so I used some white out.
>>
>>2467725
m8 pls
>>
>>2467747
I know, way too much symbol drawing, but I kind of gave up on the hands (need moar practice). Still working on my fundamentals, actually getting annoyed at how long it's been (a year and 1/4). Sadly, I've devoted too much time and energy into art to give up now, m9, so I just have to barrel through.
>>
File: tumblr_ndjwad45gc1taeqnfo1_500.gif (974 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndjwad45gc1taeqnfo1_500.gif
974 KB, 500x281
Do you sometimes have days when you just forget how to draw? Everything I have done today looks like absolute fucking shit, I can't even draw a straight line at this point so I just called it quits for the day. This happens like once a month to me. Is this normal?
>>
File: some figures.png (775 KB, 1000x1238) Image search: [Google]
some figures.png
775 KB, 1000x1238
big choppy disgusting brushes are fun.
>>
R8?
>>
>>2464417
I think this is because you may have learned how to draw faces in general, but not a specific type of face(your friend's). I suggest focusing on minor details of faces from now on.
>>
>>2467790
This really needs shaper edges along the outside of the figures.
>>
>>2466089
>>2466058

I love these.
>>
>>2467659
april folls
>>
File: img034.jpg (2 MB, 6453x2481) Image search: [Google]
img034.jpg
2 MB, 6453x2481
hi /ic guys, i don't know where to post, but i need some help with those characters. what am i doing wrong?
and i think i have some problems to maintain the same style for each character...
>>
I'm trying to stop chicken-scratching and I have the urge to draw on top of the line that I already drew

I just need one line right?
>>
File: squares & shadows.jpg (69 KB, 1368x829) Image search: [Google]
squares & shadows.jpg
69 KB, 1368x829
This is my first "real" drawing. Spent about 30 minutes working on it. How do you blend shadows better? Critique welcome, but I know it's bad enough to warrant none.
>>
>>2467924
Is this from imagination? If so don't do that there are plenty of still life references, if it isn't its pretty bad, spend more time on construction.

For blending what software are you using? Generally use a brush with opacity or that picks blends pixels and do a stroke between the two values to make a new value and pick that new value up with the eyedropper and repeat that
>>
>>2467958
Yea, from imagination. I was on the shitter and wanted to multitask.

I'm using autodesk sketchbook as it seems fairly intuitive and supports gestures the best. I started with the box shadows first, then realized I needed to make an actual light source in order to make more sense of it. Afterwards, I realized how crude it all looked, so I used the airbrush to make the table shadows. Finally, I decided to try my hand at blending and used a tool called 'smear'. Well, it worked as advertised, which made a mess of everything. Just undid, and called it good enough for who it's for.
>>
>>2467853
One smooth, confident line. You'll be able to do this and perfect it through a lot of drawing so it's ok. Make sure to consciously do it though.
>>
File: 20160401_142247.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160401_142247.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
So how am I doing on these?
>>
File: KhRW86f.jpg (111 KB, 1500x666) Image search: [Google]
KhRW86f.jpg
111 KB, 1500x666
is it normal to be this tragic when beginning the "drawabox" lessons?

i can't get a line straight to save my life. how long does it usually take to get a good grasp on this? my current idea is to just redo this exercise once every day until it starts to suck less so
>>
>>2466806

Isn't that the restating Dodson advocates? Or is it ok in some contexts but not others?
>>
>>2468079
I swear it was straight up and down on my phone and on my desktop.
>>
File: IMG_20140606_225321.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140606_225321.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I don't think these boxes are getting me anywhere.
>>
File: 1444476442408.jpg (8 KB, 150x142) Image search: [Google]
1444476442408.jpg
8 KB, 150x142
>>2468195
>3254x2448
>>
File: reilly-heads.jpg (197 KB, 727x945) Image search: [Google]
reilly-heads.jpg
197 KB, 727x945
Who /reillymethod/ here?

I'm more of a structured learner and I think the exaggeration and preciseness of the extra lines helped me way more than Loomis does.
>>
>>2468195
obviously not if youre using a ruler.
>>
File: d (2).jpg (363 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
d (2).jpg
363 KB, 1200x900
>>2468202
I'm not using a ruler...
>>
File: 1444291312468.jpg (82 KB, 446x451) Image search: [Google]
1444291312468.jpg
82 KB, 446x451
>>2468200
>forest fire

eh, close enough
>>
>>2468209
You shouldn't be, the point of drawabox is to get line control.
>>
File: deal.gif (2 MB, 300x275) Image search: [Google]
deal.gif
2 MB, 300x275
>>2468195
progress is slow, it helps you think of your drawings in 3d space and you will need boxes & cylinders for the rest of your life if you keep drawing

>yfw you finish 250 boxes & take a look at the first few vs the last few
>>
>>2468221
Oh shit, that's a nifty website. I was doing those exercises from Peter Han's videos. Thanks.
>>
>>2468195
Do the organic perspective exercise, imagining the vanishing points and doing a complex composition helps you see things in 3d
>>
And while we're at it

I've been noticing that there's a divide between 2 learning styles. On one hand, there's the more 'traditional' approach, think 'Keys To Drawing', 'Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters', and then there's the 'new' concept art way with Peter Han, Drawabox, Feng Zhu and Loomis being in-between that.

Which one is better for you? Which one do you prefer? Or maybe you should learn using both?

What do you guys think.
>>
File: boxes2.jpg (554 KB, 1613x1210) Image search: [Google]
boxes2.jpg
554 KB, 1613x1210
>>2468226
Box life
>>
making some exercise on drawing "pinched" and "pushed" cheeks

not really happy with the pinched one, any suggestion helps
>>
>>2468262
Aside from the typical >needs more Loomis bullshit I'd say actually mold the face's shape a bit rather than putting a tumor on the side of it.

Seriously though, drop the anime and start thinking in 3d space.
>>
I realised I've mostly been drawing nude figures, even skipping most of the occasional clothed models on pixellovely/sketchdaily. Because my short-term goal is to be able to draw during my commute without feeling shamed, I need to add drapery to my box of skills.
Can (/should) I study drapery before shading/values? Does it make sense to sketch drapery exclusively in line with minimal crosshatching and mapping?
Who do I want to learn drapery from? I'm going for quick but somewhat accurate instead of mastery, so an approach that's practical for sketching is favorable.
>>
File: 51eROvllggL._SL1000_.jpg (47 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
51eROvllggL._SL1000_.jpg
47 KB, 1000x1000
How would you go about memorizing a scimitar and adding it to a visual library.
>>
>>2468302
get a 3d model (sketchfab is a great website for model viewing) and draw it from every thinkable tangle
>>
>>2468310
Thanks
>>
>>2468302
why would you do that when you can just make your own? Or if you want a SPECIFIC scimitar just use a reference.
>>
>>2468313
>References
>>
>>2468315
I get it, sweet prank bro
>>
>>2468302

Just think of the shapes.

Internalize basic facts - "the blade is curved, and gets wider as you go out. There's a sharper curve near the tip that makes it close to a hook, which gives it a point at the tip."
Understand how the weapon was used. If it's a one handed sword, you know generally that the hilt will fit into one hand. Though there are two handed ones with two handed grips, consider which one you want. Details beyond that are up to artistic interpretation - there are tons of different scimitars that look different (different hits, different blades, different pomels, etc) you just need the fundamental idea of what makes a scimitar a scimitar. Think of designing one as first considering the practical implicantions - it needs to be usable. The liberties from there, as long as its practical (unless your use for it is super stylized and the viewer can suspend disbelief) you can detail it as you like.

If you understand basic shapes and perspectives, you can already add that information to your existing knowledge and create a shape that's like the sword.
>>
>>2468237
It's nothing new or modern m8. One is called observational drawing the other is constructive drawing and both have been around for quite a fucking while. You need a good balance of both to git gud.
>>
File: 1433202644759.jpg (37 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1433202644759.jpg
37 KB, 500x334
>>2468317

Also sorry for the spelling mistakes, I'm drunk.
>>
>>2468319
Nah it's good, thanks Harvey.
>>
>>2468317
To add to this, this process applies to everything. It's supposed to be what FZD teaches their students. Realizing that everything is basic shapes helps out drawing a lot.
>>
When a dude tells you "Looks traced" as feedback when you didn't say anything, they're clearly mad right?
>>
>>2468361
Haven't seen the work commented on.

Generally, I don't think one liner comments like that have any weight unless said by a professional. In which case they're poorly explaining a real problem.
People of roughly equal level have to use details before I'd acknowledge them.
>>
>>2468361

Can't say not having seen your art, but consider this:
Good lineart considers lighting and perspective when doing line-weight.If you do just a flat line of the same width along the contour, it can easily 'look traced' even if you didn't trace.
A drawing that was actually well traced doesn't look traced unless you know the source image.
>>
File: greatadviceorgreatestadvice.jpg (8 KB, 298x71) Image search: [Google]
greatadviceorgreatestadvice.jpg
8 KB, 298x71
>>2466509

>This is metroid from metroid...

No that's fucking Samus you philistine
>>
>>2468435
Fuck you Hilda, you're not my mom.
>>
>>2467228

Yeah, that page is kinda confusing, for now just take the horizontal line as the brow, be it for faces or skulls, later you can come up with your own way of constructing the head. Poor loomis made a mistake there but we can forgive him
>>
File: image.jpg (268 KB, 896x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
268 KB, 896x1200
My art is always hard to read, IMO
>>
File: curly hair girl.jpg (65 KB, 795x805) Image search: [Google]
curly hair girl.jpg
65 KB, 795x805
please critique
>>
So are we always gonna keep these names? When do they change?
>>
>>2468520
Wtf it just changed and i dont remember my last name
>>
File: MM2full.jpg (257 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MM2full.jpg
257 KB, 1920x1080
Beginner here
need feedback on anything but the tank as for now

I had some guy saying this has "horrible anatomy"
I guess I just have some really bad sense of anatomy, can I have some sense on how can I fix it on the characters?
>>
>>2468521
Omg im amber now?!?!
>>
>>2468523
WHO AM I?
>>
>>2468522
It probably reminds them of How to Draw Manga books for beginners which has really shit art and anatomy.

Using real people as reference is the way to go.
>>
>>2468545
Do you see anything really bad that I need to urgently work on though?
>>
>>2468548
Lots, it looks really pleb tier Deviant Art.

It seems like you just want to rush this off without concern for quality so I don't think it's worthwhile encouraging a bad habit.

But I'll say two. The guys arm, the girls eyes.
>>
Don't draw anime from your imagination until you can draw humans regularly with reference.
>>
>>2468556
which girl, which guy?

>rush this off
damn, I have been working on this for awhile
>>
>>2468559
If you can't tell you need to study human beings more. It's glaringly obvious.

forefront right and center
>>
>>2468560
Yeah I really don't understand, as far as the girl holding the weapon's eyes I thought I actually had it good.
As far as the guy close to the tank, yeah I drew from my imagination so I don't know how that pose would look like better than it is.

Maybe I should get a reference from people doing spray paintings
>>
>>2468560
Since you said you've been working on it for a while.

Dogs legs too. They look like they're on a ball socket. Dogs legs can't spread apart like human arms.
Dress girl's breasts look like voleyballs. They wouldn't be like that in that kind of outfit.
Left forefront's's arm looks like a snake.
Right back's guy looks like he's missing a leg. Probably can be fixed with shading, but I don't think that's a natural way to put your knee on an object.
>>
>>2468565
Right forefron't eye's are too high by maybe 40 px
Center guy's arm looks like it's not attatched to his body. Needs to be lower
>>
>>2468558
you'd think you'd first practice anime drawing before going to humans

i mean, as far as faces goes you can get away with a lot and just claim its the art style or something
>>
File: redline assist.jpg (238 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
redline assist.jpg
238 KB, 1920x1080
>>2468522
K, I marked the glaringly obvious ones.

Guy working on tank might as well be removed completely: too many errors, and pose doesn't work for perspective. He'd have to be in a pothole to pull that off. His arms are wonky, his tag is layered over his hands/head, and it looks like he's wearing bell bottom pants.

The female/male holding the rifle needs the chest area sorted out. If it's a guy, the pecks need to be broadened out, and if it's a female they'd be popping out. The armpits continue up way too high, and the shoulders don't match the clothing line. Not sure what's up with the neck area, but it's wrong.

The lady on the tank needs her torso and clothing reworked to make her look like she's sitting. Her arms also need to be angled further out for her pose, or she needs to have more bend in her elbows. She currently has very short arms and legs. Her cape and hair are poorly done for showing wind.

Goggle man needs to have his wrist thinned a tiny bit, or needs to be made chubbier for the rest of his body. His ear is tiny, and his gun has no dimensions. The dog's head is too square and his jaw is too human. If he was properly depicted, his jaw would continue back behind his ears and would be noticeable from his neckline. His arms look he's resting them on something that doesn't exist.

I only started drawing today, so take it with a grain of salt.
>>
Cna someone explain to me how there can be different numbers of vanishing points? I don't even understand the concept of a vanishing point.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 93

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.