[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi dudes. I really need some advice. I feel like my style has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 7
File: 3247071-5871470561-tumbl.jpg (145 KB, 350x547) Image search: [Google]
3247071-5871470561-tumbl.jpg
145 KB, 350x547
Hi dudes. I really need some advice.

I feel like my style has lately been moving towards something i don't want at all. My skill level has improved at a good rate, but the finished work turns out too clean.

What i want to achieve is something like Jeremy Mann, Benjamin Bjorklund, Mckeans joker stuff, Theo Prins etc. But with just a tad more detail. How do i go about learning to make my stuff less detailed, more painterly and impressionistic, but still make it seem finished and "clean"?

What and how do i study in your opinion?
>>
>>2463414
i'll post some examples of where i want to go with rendering.

This is a bit stylized though, but still a level of rendering that i find really satisfying and interesting.
>>
>>2463417
>>
>>2463420
>>
File: last ned (14).jpg (504 KB, 1000x989) Image search: [Google]
last ned (14).jpg
504 KB, 1000x989
>>2463421
>>
Textured brushes are a must - especially those that maintain their sense of direction.

What you're trying to achieve is a sense of implied detail, or strokes and shapes that seem random, but the viewer knows what they represent. They suggest a texture or form without being so literal.

Once you have a good base painted in that is loose and organic, you can start to refine things, such as creating sharper edges or clearer details. You throw in a pit of focused effort in some parts while leaving the rest as implied detail.

Practice doing this a lot.
>>
>>2463439
Implied detail is a perfect description actually. Thanks for the advice.

Do you, or anyone else, know of any tutorials and/or books on the subject? I can't seem to find anything.

Another example. This is probably the closest one to what i want to achieve in terms of rendering.
>>
>>2463414
Try using imprecise tools and brushes that are larger than you're comfortable with. That should help with you noodling too much. It will be messy at first and then you'll figure it out and it will get cleaner.
>>
>>2463414
Philosophically, it's in the imperfection.
>>
>>2463543
fuck, i hate using brushes that are too big. I'll give it a go, thanks dude.
>>
File: tumblr_mzzialFLoi1r4lbmro1_500.jpg (88 KB, 500x749) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mzzialFLoi1r4lbmro1_500.jpg
88 KB, 500x749
You don't need texture brushes to paint loosely it's 100% mental. Most people go through a lengthy learning period when everything turns out stiff before learning how to loosen up, and some never make it out of the stiff period because they never start thinking loosely. Pic related is all done with the hard round brush. Artist is Jeff Simpson
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.