[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Got directed here. How does one improve character designs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: _20160304_175143.jpg (15 KB, 393x251) Image search: [Google]
_20160304_175143.jpg
15 KB, 393x251
Got directed here. How does one improve character designs?
>>
>>2463143
To develop original character designs is a really difficult thing, mainly because there are so many fictional characters out there.

My best advice: develop your characters personality thoroughly and have a few details that are kind of obscure to that particular individual. Play it up, make it important to the viewer.

As long as you have confidence in your lines, it'll work. Though, it looks like you might have to study and practice up on human anatomy. The more you do it the better your lines look.

Hope this helps.
>>
First off you need to get good at drawing
Read the sticky
>>
start drawing from life first before doing alternative styles.
>>
Oh ok thanks
>>
>>2463245
This, and learn about graphics essentials (shape design, colour design etc.) its endlessly useful. Also study and gather references, of fashion, armour, weapons, whatever it is you want to design
>>
Not OP but guess ill ask here: got any suggestions for character design books?
>>
>>2463263
Most video games have concept art books released in special editions which are sometimes sold seperately.
Just find something from games you like.
I've taken a look at the Xenoblade chronicles x,Zone of the Enders,Arkham Knight and some Metal gear solid concept art books. There's lots of great references,inspo and unique stylization in these books. It also helps if there's an artist who you really like in the gaming industry because you can find more of their work
>>
File: 1456793898985.jpg (41 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
1456793898985.jpg
41 KB, 300x450
>>2463143
Look up references. Search for interesting people and clothing and places. You can't invent a cool creative exotic design for a house if you don't know how to draw a basic real one. What you do when you draw from imagination is to pick images from your mental library, and you can't come up with something different and unique if you only took the time to learn how to draw a simple hoodie an anime faces. Right now learn how to draw properly, draw stuff from reference (there are tons of cool real stuff that are much better than anything a creative person could come up with) and eventually you will improve on you reference to create unique stuff.
>>
Needs more loomis
>>
So much shit advice lel. Are you guys even sure if op wanted to become a draw fag/the next Loomis?

To OP, you don't need to git gud (fundamentals) if you want to solely design characters. It'll take you at least 2 years before you'll get to an acceptable level and you'll probably forget your initial goal and maybe your passion. You'll become so frustrated in due time that you'll probably kill yourself if you're not a masochistic bastard who grinds their fundamentals everyday. So please don't listen to these git gud advices if your end goal is to DESIGN.

Just look at Amano, he's a very renowned famous designer. But he's objectively technically shit.

If you wanna go mango style... Plenty of artists in the industry can't draw for shit yet can create interesting designs. Again I'm biased and have pleb taste but holy fuck I found the Chinese Vocaloid designs submitted for the contest great for what they are, characters designs. And Hatsune Miku is fucking popular yet her initial art is shit tier.

Just find stuffs you're into, research fashion, learn about complimentary colors and interesting visual terms/elements. All that could be done while expanding your visual library. And think of your audience while designing stuffs. Make a memorable design, simple to look at and not too complicated, but with something social enough. (Read that years ago but forgot where so take it with a grain of salt)
>>
>>2464437
Oops meant special instead of social. You know, something eye catching?

A too complicated design makes the viewer tired and is not good for quick fanarts. Also why Pokemon is such a popular franchise. All those minimalistic schticks.
>>
File: amano3.jpg (3 MB, 2544x1717) Image search: [Google]
amano3.jpg
3 MB, 2544x1717
>>2464437
>Amano
>Technically shit

Nigga I'll cut you
>>
File: 1445051960082.jpg (27 KB, 415x400) Image search: [Google]
1445051960082.jpg
27 KB, 415x400
>>2464437
yet another post by someone who knows absolutely nothing of what they're talkingn about

never change, /ic/
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.