[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any tips on how to do watercolor over graphite without smudging
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Any tips on how to do watercolor over graphite without smudging everything to shit?

Can you use workable fixative before painting?
>>
I do my drawing on cardboard, then trace it onto tracing paper. I transfer my drawing to my watercolor paper using architects transfer paper which is like graphite paper but is not as dirty. I than have a good solid drawing which may or may not be seen in the finished painting depending on how transparent my finished painting is. I have used this system for years, sometimes using graphite if I want fainter lines. I rarely if ever draw on my watercolour paper.
>>
Spritz your sketch with water, that'll help the graphite sink into the fibers some before you start painting.
>>
If you want to use a fixative, make sure you sketch with a hard graphite, 2b and harder should be fine, and only apply a reeeeeeally light application of fixative otherwise you're going to interfere with your paper's ability to absorb pigment.

I would recommend experimenting first on some scrap paper before you commit to a larger piece.
>>
I use a hard leaded pencil (preferably lead holder) when I want to do an under drawing directly on the paper
>>
>>2462714
I'm doing a full on graphite drawing. I saw some pictures or watercolor over graphite pieces and I love the muted, old-fashioned photo kind of look it gets.
>>2462715
Cool. I will add that to my test list.
>>2462719
Yeah, I'm worried about the fixative thing.
And there will be SUCH tests. I'm not about to drop $10 more on another sheet of nice watercolor paper because I was a fuckup.
>>2462720
I'm trying to do it with HB and lighter so its harder lead. I hear it smudges less....but the darks just aren't dark enough -____-
>>
>>2462728
try using a black colored pencil, make sure its not water soluble
>>
>>2463011
My concern with colored pencil is that its waxier than graphite.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.