[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning colors!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: wonder_woman.jpg (45 KB, 640x420) Image search: [Google]
wonder_woman.jpg
45 KB, 640x420
Hi guys. So, the thing is I always drawn using different kinds of pencil, mechanical pencil and all, doing realistic portrait and things like that. But I always wanted to learn how to see colors, how to apply them on my drawings. Recently I bought 27 copics to see how it goes, but I've seen people using them and colored pencil at the same time. Can you guys help me out? Is there some book to learning how to do that? What materials do you use it? What do you recommend?
>>
>>2461859
In short: I always dran black and white, scale of gray, But I want to learn to use color like pic in op and I dont know how to do it.
>>
This board is rather slow so no need to bump.

I think what you want to look into is a technique called rendering. It's what is typically done to get more realistic looking illustrations/portraits.

I'm not very knowledgeable in the topic though since I've just recently started applying colour to my line art as well but hopefully it gives you something to look into.
>>
>>2462334
Thanks a lot mate. I'll link indo it. Ill try tô see other tapes todo, but you just gave me some clue. good night anon.
>>
I would recomend finding the materials you like first, there are many possibilities, acrylic paint, oil paint, gouache, chalk, watercolor, markers, pencil, and many more. look for what people use them for and how they work and test the ones you find interesting.

If you want to fill your lines I recomend watercolor or markers, many people use them to add color to a line art on nankin or another kind of ink. I dunno how it would work on pencil.
>>
is it cheating if I "lift" color palettes from other artists illustrations? I can't seem to create a palette out of thin air, but I may find an illustration I like and color drop it.

For example, if I see a color palette I like, and I try to recreate it, it doesn't have the same "feel" as the original. Then I eye dropper the original, and I may see that I have shifted all my hues cooler. It's like sketching with a ref vs tracing.

How does one train their eye to see "good" colors. I am familiar with the theory, but that's like knowing the theory for nice linework vs being able to actually create nice lines.

When i study lines and sketching, I just copied favorite artists until I adopted their handiwork. Do I need to do the same for colors? Do I need to get a coloring book or something?
>>
>>2462334
Bump
>>
>>2462773
First, read some basic color theory or at least watch a few videos about mixing palettes so you have a place to start and aren't creating palettes out of 'thin air'. Then do a little more reading specific to what you are painting. It isn't necessary to follow the rules but knowing them offers a very helpful context.

Also, learning how to create a palette digitally first is terrible. Start with learning with oils or acrylic paints. If you want to check the accuracy of your colors just take a bit of the paint on your palette knife and hold it up to whatever you are painting.

And don't pick your palette by moving around the cursor on the silly color wheel thing. You won't learn anything by doing that.
>>
>>2461859
in the thumbnail that bird between her breasts does't read well, combine to where the pic ends
>>
>>2463091
Yeah, I know that, but it doesnt see so on full image. The thing is I really want to learn colorindo drawns...
>>
Check out a Daniel Greene DVD called Color the Daniel Greene method, it is expensive 68 buck fir a 90 minute long DVD but worth it, I check out from Library.
>>
>>2465403
Thanks a lot dud.
>>
>>2465403
I need torrents man, I'm a dirty filthy poor, my furr patreon doesnt generate enough cash yet
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.