[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the preferred way to show somebody the shading and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
File: as109.jpg (675 KB, 990x1400) Image search: [Google]
as109.jpg
675 KB, 990x1400
What's the preferred way to show somebody the shading and light deflection in a piece ?

I want to break down the way the light is interacting with the character in this image
>>
File: NoLightBounce_thumb.jpg (24 KB, 432x294) Image search: [Google]
NoLightBounce_thumb.jpg
24 KB, 432x294
>>2457116
why choose an already stylized image? get a photo. I think it is better to have the connection to reality.
>>
File: Light_Color_Lecture_sm-6.jpg (42 KB, 576x445) Image search: [Google]
Light_Color_Lecture_sm-6.jpg
42 KB, 576x445
>>2457149
>>
File: AS109 (2).png (507 KB, 1023x1023) Image search: [Google]
AS109 (2).png
507 KB, 1023x1023
>>2457149
To absorb his style.

I wouldn't post any of the violent images here, but he's my personal favorite hentai artist in terms of light work.
>>
File: two balls.png (312 KB, 1264x500) Image search: [Google]
two balls.png
312 KB, 1264x500
one thing that has helped me in my studies,
is drawing sphere's and planes like pic related.
thoroughly looking at an image and doing these 'x on y' studies.
(e.g. hair on skin, shirt on stocking, etc.)

where sphere is x and plane is y.
>>
>>2457163

I hope you will develop a semblance of taste some day .
>>
>>2457229
Hope you one day learn how to make a constructive comment.
You can't go through your life making inane comments about people's taste without justification.
>>
shading, seeing how light hits the surface, how hard it'll hit depending on the material, where will be the cast shadows, there's a lot to think of that you'll understand little by little by training everyday, observating things IRL is also really good to learn about this topic.
>>
File: 1453634829527.gif (555 KB, 139x140) Image search: [Google]
1453634829527.gif
555 KB, 139x140
>>2457235
>ask people for help
>proceed to insult them
good luck in life
>>
>>2457280
Please stop trying to bait me.
You don't have any advise to give anyways.
>>
>>2457235
>>2457287
#rekt
>>
>>2457116
Learn the rules before breaking them. >>2457149 is right, that image is too stylized. Study real and simpler shapes to learn how to break down what you wanted to do in first place. Then you can look at that image you posted, ask yourself what do the shadows have in common with the real thing, what do they differ into, and then you'll know the properties that give it its particular 'feel'.

>>2457280
You insulted him first though, so don't get all high and mighty. If this >>2457149 is your advice you should have kept to that. It's good advice anyway, if he doesn't want to take it, it's his problem. On the other hand, if he's not pursuing a professional career as an artist, nobody's stopping him from drawing whatever he enjoys the most, 'tasteless' as that could be.

Fundamentals are always a good thing. In fact, like I said before, learn the rules before breaking them. Heavily stylized drawing breaks a lot of rules, but it's the way you break them what gives them their own particular and distinctive style (sorry if that sounds too pseudo-philosophical or something).
>>
>>2457280

The comment he's responding to wasn't remotely helpful. Get out of your bizarre idea that shitposting is 'tough love' or 'harsh critique'. It's useless shitposting.
>>
>>2457116
I've been looking at the OP but i don't get it /ic/, light seems to be hitting her from the back, but she has strong light hitting her from the inside at the legs and cheat and from the front but
her belly area is dark, there is no way reflected light from the ground can create such strong contrast on her body, is she just lit with
how she will appear more sexy in mind? because it seems like it, it looks good to me, but it also looks illogical.
>>
>>2457963
I think the main light comes from the front right and there is some atmospheric light from the left. A lot of areas (legs, belly) are indirectly lighted from reflections outside the visible area (maybe the wall behind the camera, other walls). Not sure if it can be explained beyond that it is necessary to make it good. Maybe it is even from a photoref, maybe totally made up.
>>
>>2458036
I don't believe that indirect light can create such strong casting shadows as in her thighs, if the value transition
was really soft then yes but i think that this is just there to emfasize her thights so that the drawing looks sexyer,
nothing wrong with that mind you as long as it serves its purpose.
>>
File: 1458634546367.jpg (1006 KB, 1273x1800) Image search: [Google]
1458634546367.jpg
1006 KB, 1273x1800
>>2457116
Not OP but, anyone know whats the texture brush he uses for the pores? i see it popping up on a few artists lately, is it a manga studio brush?
>>
>>2458057
You could try a mirror or tiles or a white wall something similar. There is also that we just don't see the environment and it doesn't seem like we see direct light in the first place(!)

But yeah, I agree. It doesn't really matter, it would completely miss what drawing is about otherwise.
>>
>>2458063
it could also be putting down a lot of dots with a round brush
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.