[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is using an aquabrush over pens (uniball air usualy, but I also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: aquabrush.jpg (4 KB, 240x210) Image search: [Google]
aquabrush.jpg
4 KB, 240x210
Is using an aquabrush over pens (uniball air usualy, but I also jetstream and signo 207, as well as pentel energel) something people do?

Is there any good resources for using this? I don't think this is an ink wash so I'm confused on what to look up to see how other peole use this.
>>
What do you mean over pens? You use a waterbrush like a brush. If anything you can load a waterbrush with ink and use it like a marker.
>>
>>2456052

I mean like you would use it with watercolor pencils: loading it with water then brushing over what you've drawn, but with pens instead of watercolor pencils.
>>
Vilppu has some videos at NMA on figure drawing with a fountain pen and waterbrush, should work the same with whatever pen you're using provided the ink is not water-resistant.
>>
>>2455993
check out the pentel pocket brush pen. this setup just seems messy , way too much ink, unless that's what you're going for
>>
>>2456127

will do thanks brah

>>2456129

but you can't get shades of grey with that can you? I don't want to do anything nobody has done before or anything eccentric but I feel like I've seen this effect and I'm wondering if this is it.
>>
File: tumblr_o3j4ilK9iA1ujb4k1o1_500.jpg (114 KB, 422x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3j4ilK9iA1ujb4k1o1_500.jpg
114 KB, 422x750
Before I loomis'd
>>
Interesting question!
I have a Pentel Aquash and it functions basically the same as any other watercolor brush, except the water is in the reservoir instead of in a separate container.
You could use this to dilute pen lines however I don't believe that would get the effect you're looking for.
Firstly, I personally wouldn't use non-water safe ink around this brush because the bristles are so white. Ink would stain them a lot more than paint, so I would use a brush with darker bristles.
Secondly, even non-water safe inks bleed irregularly, uncontrollably, and small. You have to add water to ink from a pen when it's still really wet and fresh on the paper (literally seconds after it's applied) and it probably won't spread as far as you want or cooperate in the way you want.
If you're looking for different shades of grey, I would do a line drawing with a water safe pen, wait a day, and then just use one of these (or a normal paintbrush) with grey watercolors. The right kind of paper can make all the difference in how these materials work, too.
Hope this helped!
>>
>>2455993
it's usually used for watercolor
>>
>>2456052
would that stain the brush permanently?
>>
To anyone who's considering getting the pentel aquash, first check out your local art stores for some generic no-name brand water brush. I found one that's pretty much the same as aquash but for half the price.
>>
>>2456707
yeah, kuretake is the cheap alternative to pentel
>>
>>2456704
Don't worry about it. The nylon fibers get stained but it doesn't affect the brush once it's clean.

Lately I've been using a waterbrush filled with ink wash (very faint, like 10%) and a rapidograph. The brush gets clogged eventually but you can dismantle and clean it and it's like new. I've used mine for many years with pigmented inks.

This way you can make some nice value transitions and you can still make sharp lines that stay sharp 'cause india ink is waterproof when dry.

You gotta work fast and know how wet paper behaves, but if you're only aiming at quick impressions of people / places and you don't care about super clean drawings, it's perfect.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.