[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Easiest Painting Technique?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: 1457584639216.jpg (51 KB, 492x557) Image search: [Google]
1457584639216.jpg
51 KB, 492x557
I have 11 months to impress the art college I want to apply to. I'm not worrying about drawing but traditional painting seems hard.

What's the best media to use for a beginner?
>>
pick up some bob ross stuff. seems straight forward enough
>>
>>2454928

ugh no I want a legit painting technique for traditional painting, I'm not a sunday painter
>>
Get gamblin 1980 oil paint or winsor newton winton oil paint,

gamsol, linseed stand oil, and refined linseed oil. Have two large glass containers or "silicoil tank"s filled with gamsol for cleaning your brushes. Have one small glass container with gamsol for dipping your brush before you apply initial layer of paint. And have one small glass container filled with mixture (shake it) of 2/5 linseed stand oil, 2/5 refined linseed oil and 1/5 gamsol - for dipping brushto mix with paint for subsequent layers.

Do not prime the canvas with a color but start painting by leaving it blank white to reveal the whitest white. Then use burnt umber on brush made very wet and thinned with gamsol and gently draw the basic shapes as if you were doing watercolor. If you make a mistake smudge out the part you want erased with a clean brush wet and thinned with gamsol.

Once you get down the shapes of the main figure, start coloring in the parts with colors you want - whether it's literal representation or a limited palette or imaginary. For this initial layer of paint, dip the brush in gamsol. Once you lay down all of the initial layer and fill up the canvas, start mixing paint with the 1/5 2/5 2/5 mixture before applying it to the canvas.

If you make a mistake and need to work over the area, scrape off excess paint with palette knife before proceeding. It's also good to wait for paint to dry.

Constantly mix paint with palette knife, wipe knife with a paper towel or rag, apply paint with brush thinned with gamsol or mixture, clean brush on paper towel or rag, then clean brush again with container of gamsol, then dry brush on paper towel or rag, and repeat the process.
>>
>>2454927
Oil. Long dry times, you can scrape the shit off and translucent layers. Just be sure to look into mediums and linseed oil for that paint economy.

If you have never painted before, realize that brushes leave nice forms, not lines. Lines don't exist in painting. Also be loose
>>
>>2454957
And use a bit of thinner for glazes and finishes if you're trying to speed things up-- it quickens the drying time, but not if you use too much.

If you're looking for a realistic touch the stand oil will take the longest to dry-- perhaps a day to three days and will elongate your time severely. Use galkyd, my professor Laurie Hogin uses nothing but this and kills the surface every time.

A diverse set of paints is preferred and go for professional paints only if you can. and Gamblin is the best and cheapest paint, but if you want to knock people out of the park you use Old Holland, Holbein or the ever robust and handmade paints Williamsburg.

Also use Gamblin/Golden for your ground if you can-- it's the best and you call Golden they'll tell you how to prepare your surface better if you're looking for scientific methods as to how to prepare and seal your surfaces (I use panel so using GAC 100 which is great before hand and then apply the ground to keep the colors fading away.
>>
File: bobross.jpg (47 KB, 948x881) Image search: [Google]
bobross.jpg
47 KB, 948x881
>>2454927
If you can draw, you can paint. Acrylic paints are easy, but some at a dollar store and start practicing. paint what you know and like, practice blending colour and whatnot. I like painting photos that I like. I draw them on canvas before hand then fill in.
Once you get comfortable with the basics of using a brush and painting, go with oil paints. Read and understand how oil paints work. Many different techniques can be used with oil paints, depending on what you are trying to do. Check out a Bob Ross book or video. Honestly, this corny motherfucker shows you how to paint landscape. I personally hate painting landscape and nature, but it's all about using certain brush to dab or brush stroke a certain way. It's stupidly easy to paint pretty trees.
>>
>>2454927
https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/dont-go-to-art-school-138c5efd45e9#.icv7eusuu
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>2455097
>If you can draw you can paint

Nuh uh, drawing doesn't give you an understanding of color. If you can't make those drawings look like desaturated photos then you really don't have a grasp on color at all.
>>
>>2455097
>if you can draw you can paint
lmao LMAO LMao aooomlll alomooooo alamoooooooooooooo
>>
>>2454927
With 11 months available I'd try to do some well drawn charcoal studies. Painting takes just too much time and without drawing basics you're just wasting time
>>
>>2454934
kek
>>
OP, i'll tell you my experience
>wanted to aply to college
>had like 10 months to prepare myself
>enter some art atelier to gain experience
>realize i paint like shit
>try acrylics
>fucking hate em
>try oil painting
>keep practicing
>months pass
>apply to exam
>be in one of the top results

desu just try different technics, try acrylics if you havent painted anything in your life, just to give you an understanding of colors, how to blend, structure, etc, it is a good method cause it dries fast, and if you like it, you can experience using oils and the many methods that you can use on them

pic related is one of my recent works
>>
as a BFA, drawing and painting is ghey. dont be ghey. shit on something and youll be good
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.