[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would I know if I had the Dunning Kruger Effect? How would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1457579122614.png (655 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457579122614.png
655 KB, 1280x720
How would I know if I had the Dunning Kruger Effect? How would I go by curing it? At the same time how do you deflate an inflated ego and stop the feeling of defeat and frustration from another Artist who's better than you?

One more thing how do you get over the fear of posting online and the mentality that you're not good enough to post online or that the place you're trying to post is not worthy for displaying your work and vice versa?
>>
chances are if your asking if you have it then you dont.
>>
>>2454540

You can solve all of these things by finding the nearest, high-rise building and fall from it head first.
>>
DK is arrogance towards something difficult.
>perspective is easy, it's just lines
>>
>>2454550
>>perspective is easy, it's just lines

lol that was literally me before getting into the actual hard aspects of perspective
>>
What >>2454544 said. If you've sat down and looked at your work with the concern that you might be delusional and you haven't come to a conclusion despite thinking very logically about it you're probably fine.
But
I feel the same as you, how can you judge your mind with your mind? You can't lie to your mind but your mind can lie to you.
It's not nice but the best thing to do is to buckle up and post your work and how good you think it is.

Even if you are incorrect about how good you think you are, just keep on drawing and be as humble as you can.
>>
Dunning-Kruger isn't inherently bad, as long as you some level of self-awareness, and remain humble when receiving criticism.
If you think your shitty art looks good, you might be motivated to draw more.
It's better than drawing for years knowing that you're shit.
>>
Oi squid
looks like a certain depressed summer camp racoon is still alive
>>
>>2454540
>How would I know if I had the Dunning Kruger Effect? How would I go by curing it?

This is hard, because most people have it in one way or another and it combines with all your other bad traits.

Try to be effective and objective. Measure everything. As long as you are not effective at what you do and utterly successful in life, you probably have DK in some form or another.

>how do you deflate an inflated ego
Tell them their inflated ego is fucking annoying and they should piss off.

>stop the feeling of defeat and frustration from another Artist who's better than you?

If it is something new find out what they learned to get there, but don't be surprised if it is useless for you. 99% of what other artists do and show online won't help you however fancy it is, because that is just how they practice and you have probably your own practice style you like and don't want to draw like them during it.

Also there are shitton on youtube videos by semi-professionals which teach you in a few hours all the necessary knowledge to do whatever trick others did if you just need to feel smug.

>One more thing how do you get over the fear of posting online and the mentality that you're not good enough to post online or that the place you're trying to post is not worthy for displaying your work and vice versa?
Find out what problems caused the fear. Fear is a signal that something is wrong and you have problems to solve. It just sucks at expressing itself.
>>
>>2454557
ironically, I got good at perspective when I stopped thinking in lines
>>
It's a sort of "ignorance is bliss" type of thing. When you have a surface understanding of something , you think you know it all. Once you begun to dwell into it more, you began to truly comphrend it's complexity .
>>
I feel like the most common version of Dunning Kruger is not the one where people can't see their own shortcomings, but where they can't recognize the skill and strengths of others. Instead of overestimating their own competence, they completely underestimate the competence of far superior artists.

I think the personality of the person in question plays a big role in which DKE they delevop. Very pessimistic, self-hating, depressed people mostly develop the latter. They can tell just fine when their own art is shit, but they delude themselves into thinking people much more skilled than them are shit as well, because they can recognize mistakes in their work.

That's probably why you see that particular version of the DKE so often on /ic/ while the regular DKE is very common on Deviantart, Tumblr etc, where the people posting are often young, carefree, have a much more casual approach to art etc.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.