[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it true that if you think your art is awful (finding all the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: coolcomic.png (276 KB, 700x900) Image search: [Google]
coolcomic.png
276 KB, 700x900
Is it true that if you think your art is awful (finding all the flaws) you are improving? I've been like this for a while, and I'm currently been plateauing, but making slight (slivers of) improvement.

Pic related is some shit I threw together in 4 seconds.
>>
I asked this before and an anon said you are indeed getting better and it's because your eyes are getting better at recognizing mistakes. It made sense, at least to me.
>>
>>2454403
>>2454461

no i don't think so. there is no real correlation there.

the opposite however, that you are not improving if you see no flaws in your work ever, can be said with certainty.

so if you see a ton of stuff that sucks in your work you still need to take action to improve those aspects in your next image.
>>
>>2454403
if you can see that the stuff you make is off or not what your vision was, AND you can take the same idea and improve on it in an iterative fashion, then you are improving

recognizing that you suck and continuing to make the same mistakes is not improvement
>>
>>2454403
It's much better if you know why exactly it looks awful.
>>
>>2454403
If you know what's shitty about what you're drawing, you know that it can be improved. Then you have to figure out how it can be improved. Then you improve. You do not improve by simply knowing that it's shit, you have to understand why it's shit and how you can make it not shit.
>>
>Is it true that if you think your art is awful (finding all the flaws) you are improving?

No. You still need to fix your flaws.
Noticing them is important and it means your EYE is improving, it doesn't mean your skill is if you don't actually address it. If you just go "its shit and I don't know why" and don't try to figure it out you won't learn to fix it.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.