[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a faster/more efficient way of learning to draw? It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 17
File: Pitare.jpg (147 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Pitare.jpg
147 KB, 1600x900
Is there a faster/more efficient way of learning to draw? It's been almost a year and I've made no progress. The loomis didn't help and I just get pissed off every time I try to draw something.

>Pic related: It's still fucking shit
>>
you could have done better

maybe at least try to draw something witha little bit of effort (take like 5-10 minutes at it) and way more people will fall for it

for now i estimate 10-20 (You)'s

if you say you've only been drawing for a month you'd get double the (You)'s
>>
>>2453611
No, and unless you get a better attention spam you are going to be always shit
>1 year
I'm assuming OP is bait or legitimately fucking retarded. If the later, abandon it, there is no hope for you.
>>
op doesn't have the spark
>>
File: Fish.jpg (163 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Fish.jpg
163 KB, 1600x900
>>2453611
Sorry, was wrong pic, that's from when I first started
>>
>>2453613
Well you're a fucking dick, I'm asking an honest question
>>
>>2453617
>4 posters
No OP. Either you practice or be shit. And you obviously can't get your shit together to do jack shit.
Either >>1579290
or
>>>/out/
>>
>>2453628
>honest question

illogical, dude

you don't study loomis for a year and end up with that

again, take my advice and say 1 month (or maybe 2) and roll in the (You)'s
>>
>>2453630
I read the fucking sticky, and I'm sick of this bullshit where I don't improve.
>>2453632
Why you got to be such an ass?
>>
Fuck it, I quit. Don't even know why I bothered asking, /ic/ has never been helpful with anything.
>>
File: dearop.png (124 KB, 376x463) Image search: [Google]
dearop.png
124 KB, 376x463
Think critically and apply yourself.
>>
>>2453666
Thanks but I give up. There's no point in trying to do something I'm clearly not meant to do.
>>
>>2453670
RIP OP, you won't be remembered.
>>
>>2453634
Well for one you're not applying what Loomis teaches to your drawings. They show no knowledge that you've read any of his books. Why do you think you would improve?
>>
>>2453686
I don't have any of the loomis drawings saved, they're all in books or on paper. However I should be a lot better than the fucking shit I posted for the amount of time I wasted trying to draw
>>
File: 1436898718647.jpg (256 KB, 830x476) Image search: [Google]
1436898718647.jpg
256 KB, 830x476
>>2453611
life model OR photo self and draw it AND draw own self AND make the pose then look at self and think about how you look, try to remember it and then draw

ALSO

Don't get hung up on the rules of anatomy. Because that's the SS.
>>
>>2453694
Already gave up
>>
>'I read the sticky'

1. No you didn't, let's be real.

2. You can 'read' every issue of Golf Digest and know the theory of how to play golf inside and out, but unless you actually fplay golf you're not going to go anywhere.

(How many hours a week did you draw during this year that you spent "reading the sticky"?)

3. How do you know you weren't meant to do something when you barely even tried?

sad
>>
>>2453707
1. I read the sticky several times
2. 3 hour almost every day trying to draw or until my hands cramped up (one cramped up , started drawing with the other)
3. I tried harder to fucking draw than you probably ever have in anything in your live

I'm just not meant to or I'm mentally fucking retarded because it so fucking easy to do
>>
>>2453719
Draw on paper you cunt!
Your hands wont cramp up if your not using them. Use your arm to draw!
>>
>>2453719
draw me a box, anon
>>
>>2453719
>>2453778

do it anon. draw a box. im curious.
>>
File: 1445400374929.png (109 KB, 2370x2090) Image search: [Google]
1445400374929.png
109 KB, 2370x2090
>this entire thread

i thought /ic/ was the board that best recognized shitposts/trolls
>>
>>2453611
>loomis didn't help
get off my lawn, sparkless fag
>>
>>2453775
I have been
>>2453853
I can't, it just look like disproportionate lines (2d)
>>
>>2453967
>I can't, it just look like disproportionate lines (2d)
then you haven't read the sticky
read the sticky, draw a box
>>
>>2453983
I read the sticky, I'm just to shit to draw the fucking box. Are you all to stupid to see that loomis and the sticky doesn't work for everyone?
>>
>>2453993
It doesn't work for you because you don't understand it...
>>
>>2454123
Doesn't matter anymore, I gave up. I burned all my scrapbooks, save one I didn't use, and I'm selling the tablet. Sorry for the cancer thread.
>>
>>2453611
>The loomis didn't help
you dont watch the pretty drawings you are supposed to redraw them
>>
Art is not for you, brother.
>>
>>2454133
>burned all my scrapbooks
that's just sad, anon
>>
>>2453666
hits close to home and now I know exactly why I suck so hard and should stop sucking
>>
>tfw I relate to op
I can maybe help you , if your willing to talk to me . If your still here that is.
So you have a steam?
>>
>>2454149
not much is apparently
>>2454151
yup
>>2454249
Don't have a stream, sorry
>>
No way you've been practicing as hard as you say for one year and still haven't improved, so you're either
>doing it wrong (i.e. repeating the same stuff and not actively trying to improve)
>not working as hard as you think you are
>mentally handicapped in some way that prevents you from improving
>>
>>2454384
Almost a year*
and I think I might be mentally retarded as I don't improve in anything I do
>>
>>2454283
Do you have any way of contact ? Anything ?
Besides Skype that is
>>
>just learning to draw
>trying to draw something as complex as a human being
>in a complex costume

Pull it back a bit.
Try drawing a line. Then a curve. Then a shape. Then a 3D form. Then put those forms into multiple perspectives. Then use them to build slightly more complex objects.
Then come back in another year.

I'm not kidding.
You didn't learn to walk at the starting line of a marathon.

Loomis glances over all these foundations because he's mainly geared towards
1) Complete beginner forever-amateurs who just want to have fun with a pencil and have no interest in really cultivating a skill
2) Aspiring advertising artists who understand the basics already and just need a leg up to the next level

Google 'drawabox' for a more technically geared lesson plan. If you really want to get better, don't let the fear of boredom with these kind of exercise scare you off. You can still draw whatever the fuck you want for fun, you just need to separate it a bit from when you're actively trying to get better, until you reach a level where you can intelligently approach the kind of cool things you want to be able to draw.
>>
>>2454133
Wow, what a fucking attention whore. If you're done, fucking stop posting and kill yourself.
>>
>>2455383
In what way is burning a few books attention whoring?
>>
>>2454133

Looking at your drawing, you weren't using the tablet anyway. Just a shitty mouse.
That or your tablet had no pressure sensitivity and you were using it in fucking MSPaint.
You only get better if you give a little more than the bare minimum effort, OP. Post your Loomis exercises if you did them. Just skimming the book and saying you read it then never applying the knowledge isn't good enough. Otherwise fuck off.
>>
>>2457217
Tend to agree with this.

Either he's baiting or he was not critical of himself at all.

OP's drawing isn't even finished.
>>
File: 2day40.jpg (332 KB, 1329x1273) Image search: [Google]
2day40.jpg
332 KB, 1329x1273
1.5 years of hobby tier drawing dedication has gotten me this far
>>
>>2457219
That look the right one give appeals to my femdom fetish.
>>
>>2453611
before you start drawing living things, draw simple things
learn how to draw cubes, cones, spheres, etc.
then, move onto learning how to shade those simple figures
finally, learn how to take your knowledge of those forms and figures and apply it to more complex things (bottles of cones/cylinders, books from rectangular prisms, eventually people from all of these figures)
it may sound hard, but just keep trying
>>
>>2453665
delusional to the point that the blame shifts to everyone else and not themself... Such is life in /ic/
>>
>>2457249
I do blame myself for being useless. The only thing I blamed /ic/ for is not helping when I asked a question. Also how the fuck is this thread still up?
>>
File: 1456464397230.jpg (104 KB, 939x960) Image search: [Google]
1456464397230.jpg
104 KB, 939x960
>>2457276
You could have posted in the beginner and draw threads and asked for critique. Instead you just doodled less than an hour a week and thought that somehow you'd magically improve. Obviously you don't want to get better you just want to feel sorry for yourself, which is fine, but making a thread and expecting us to feel sorry for you as well is a bit much. And that's obviously the point of this thread, otherwise you would have just posted in the beginner thread and asked for pointers.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>2457298
I did ask in a beginners thread but no one answered, and secondly I've sent minimum 3 hours almost every day drawing, and thirdly if I wanted people to feel sorry for me I'd go pretend to be suicidal on reddit or some other social retardation site.

>>2453617
This was the pic I originally meant to post but misclicked on the shitty pirate on from when I first started, and ya it took me 2 hours to make that shit fish too
>>
>>2457341
>I did ask in a beginners thread but no one answered
If your answer didn't get answered, then your question was either too complicated for the people present, too vague or too easy to figure out by reading the sticky.
>>
>>2457353
Well doesn't matter anyway, it was pointless to try
>>
>>2457366
nice dubs
in exchange

know that the resources here are available to you, and you still have access to the input of /ic/ however you choose to take it. Otherwise, your thread serves no functional point. No one should have to convince you to pursue art, and if not that, then you don't bring anything to the table either.
>>
>>2457395
Thanks anon. Good to see not all of /ic/ is a bag of dicks
>>
>>2457341
>and secondly I've sent minimum 3 hours almost every day drawing

Who exactly do you think you're fooling?
If a 100% never-drawn-a-damn-thing-in-their-life downs syndrome retard spent three hours they'd have a better drawing than what you posted in the OP.
>>
>>2457415
Just because you find something easy doesn't mean everyone else does
>>
>>2453854
why the fuck would you assume this, this place constantly gets tumblr and reddit users even if they don't stay for too long
>>
File: box1[1].jpg (15 KB, 440x360) Image search: [Google]
box1[1].jpg
15 KB, 440x360
>>2457404
>>2457425
if you have time to keep replying then you literally have no excuse not to draw something that takes less than 10 mins to execute, draw this.
>>
>>2457435
I gave up, no excuses needed.
>>
>>2457443
it's your loss drawing-wise, at least you could do something else with the time that otherwise you would use to practice drawing.
>>
>>2457452
>it's your loss drawing-wise
How so? I'd never be able to draw as well as I'd have liked too
>>
>>2457462
>I'd never be able to draw as well as I'd have liked too
I won't argue with that statement, since you given up that is now a fact.
>>
>>2457472
d-_-b was always fact...now answer the question
>>
>>2457476
the OP question?
>>
>>2457486
>How so?
>>
>>2457489
obviously it's a loss once you given up, unless you can see the future that shows you won't be able to draw despite constant correct practice throughout the years that you could already claim it as a loss now.
>>
>>2457495
I think I see your point so I'll try to explain mine.
I've failed at most everything I've ever tried, enough so that I often give up on something after 1 or 2 tries. A little over a year ago an anon on /adv/ suggested that I try drawing because it's simple to start and you can always improve so I should at least find some success. I had to force myself to draw until I found some interest in it. After that I started reading beginner threads and the sticky. I wanted for this to be the one thing I at least so some success in, but I didn't. I wasted my time again on something I'll never be able to do.

>tldr: I don't need to see the future because it's always the same
>>
gone, history.
>>
>>2457505
> I wanted for this to be the one thing I at least so some success in

so you're saying that "wanted" tenacity of yours is it really just a year worth? success mostly never comes easy nor quick, have I already told you that I never tasted success as well despite learning drawing for almost 7 years now?

still a year is a lot but all I asked is 10 mins for you to try drawing a box that could jump start and give your outlook a new life, yet you never gave it a chance.
>>
>>2457425
>Just because you find something easy doesn't mean everyone else does

I'm telling you you need to literally have a mental deficiency to draw at that level after practicing for 3 hours a day. So either you're lying or literally cognitively disabled.

On the incredibly unlikely off-chance you're not a shitposter, you need to be half-assing those 3 hours incredibly hard. If you spend 3 hours doing 120 really awful 2 minute drawings like the OP and not thinking even a tiny bit about what you're doing, you probably won't get any better. Actually be a little critical, for fucks sake. Find out what you're doing wrong and specifically focus on fixing your problems.

Like tell me honestly - how long did the OP image take you? Did you try to fix any of your fuckups or did you just go 'screw it I suck anyway'? Did you make any effort whatsoever to apply the knowledge from that Loomis book you pretended you read? How so?
>>
>>2457530
Less than a yeas to b honest, I was ready to give up after a few days so I just forced myself to keep going.
>>2457531
The shitty pirate pic took me a little over an hour and a half because I was trying to learn how to colour using some apply and erase technique off youtube, the fish (the one I meant to post originally) took me around 2 hours because I was trying to get the lines somewhat decent. I tried to apply loomis to the fish and as you can see I'd had no idea what I was doing.
>>
>>2453611
Nope, you've got to brute force yourself just like 99% of all successful artists.
>>
File: shit box.jpg (32 KB, 440x360) Image search: [Google]
shit box.jpg
32 KB, 440x360
>>2457435
Against my better judgement I tried your stupid box. I can't do it, it just looks like shit.
>>
File: 2000px-Necker_cube.svg.png (21 KB, 2000x1800) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Necker_cube.svg.png
21 KB, 2000x1800
>>2459395
Did you learn anything about perspective?

Hell you didn't even do the 2 squares connected to each other fake box (pic related).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uEtdDvK6Xo

Now I know for a fact this is bait.
>>
>>2459410
Haven't seen this video in a while. Call it bait all you want, doesn't mean I'll ever be able to draw.
>>
>>2459414
How the fuck can't you keep a straight line?

Do you have a mental or physical disablilty?

Why are you doing digital if you don't even have basic line control?

Is it really that hard to use your elbow when you draw?
>>
>>2459417
dude, look at the drawing a little harder and you can see how manufactured it is.
>>
>>2459417
Mental, probably
Physical, nope
It's the same on paper even after hours of practice trying to draw straight lines
I did a bigger one with elbow and than with shoulder but the were about the same
>>
>>2459395
wow, so you did draw it. you should hone your observational skills for now, I think that's you're problem as you are unable to judge
lines and their angles and relationship, construction would be too advance for you at this stage when you can't put out lines in their proper angles. you could start with keys to drawing or drawing from the right side of the brain.

if you still want to learn and let me teach you a little method on observational skills, reply to this post and I'll make a small tutorial.
>>
>>2459443
Make it anyway it might help someone else out
>>
there's literally NO FUCKING WAY you've spent more than 1000 hours (~3hrs x ~365days) drawing and still come to >>2453617
>>
learn how to see
>>
File: one minute sketch.png (1 MB, 3094x4252) Image search: [Google]
one minute sketch.png
1 MB, 3094x4252
Instead of trying to draw a human right out of the gate, make it shapes first and then add details
>>
>>2459414
>doesn't mean I'll ever be able to draw.

Then don't draw.

Honestly, how often do we have to deal with asshats like this who act like they're being forced to do something physically impossible? No one gives a fuck if you care enough to learn this shit or if you're physically incapable of it.
>>
Op please add a way of contacting me , I legit want to help you / talk to you mane. I know your pain.
>>
>>2463039
>No one gives a fuck if you care enough to learn this shit or if you're physically incapable of it.
No shit Sherlock
>>2464561
Not falling for that one again
>>
I'd enroll in a class if I were you. You're unwilling to think critically and learn the most basic concepts.
>>
Why does this thread keep getting bumped ?
>>
Oh hey I remember you from the early days of LAS. magitech or some shit
>>
>>2465363
ya I fell out of that because I fucked up the time-zones and kept submitting late
>>
>>2453630

/out/ seems to be a nice board, thanks man!
>>
File: IMG_20160330_223336.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160330_223336.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
This is mine from eigth grad
First drawing looked like bad anime dora
I sucked at drawing lines
>>
File: cantdrawfeel.jpg (191 KB, 1000x696) Image search: [Google]
cantdrawfeel.jpg
191 KB, 1000x696
Has anyone made a drawing book with, how should I say, a scientific approach?

Like why is drawing hard? Why can't I just draw, idk a realistic car, from memory? Is there a book where you progress step by step and learn the skills separately?

Like in physics for example you couldn't just try to solve a complex problem without any previous knowledge. So you would go down the tree of knowledge and then start at the root. Like learning how to solve an equation. Then when you have gained the knowledge you can solve the problem.

The books I've seen so far didn't seem systematic to me. I would want a book that would start from 0 and make sure I have all the necessary skills before proceeding. Like for example it would make you draw straight lines and circles until you are able to draw them almost perfectly free hand. Then it would advance to drawing 3D shapes from all kinds of angles. Then to perspective. Then to learning how to construct complex objects. Then shadows. And so on...
>>
File: 6aVNVhy.gif (954 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
6aVNVhy.gif
954 KB, 400x225
>>2453666
I'm not sure what I am supposed to take from that comic, (cynicaal humor) after all, giving up is never an answer.
I constantly have epiphanies, but they've always helped me to grow as a better perso than i was beforn. Maybe that comic makes a lot more sence within its proper context, i dont know.
>>
>>2453611
OP are you sure you know how to handle a tablet. So far we've only seen digital art, not your traditional art
>>
[ - ]
>>
>>2453967
anon, do you have two eyes?

Cause it seems like you're not able to do 3d shapes on paper. You should definitely learn to draw a cube and "see" it as a cube instead of 2d lines.

I think that's your problem right there.
>>
>>2465811

DrawABox.com

How To Draw/Render/Design - Scott Robertson
>>
>>2465811
Without a lot of experience drawing a certain thing you might find it hard to actually draw it straight from your imagination. There is nothing wrong to do research on the material you are going to draw and use many references when you draw. You'd be surprised how little you know about something from memory like just drawing clothes when you never paid attention to where the seams actually fell for shirts or pants.

You don't even need to do everything by yourself as well, you might find having a teacher as something that let you learn quickly. I don't know where you are from but it is worth looking into your cities civic center and see if there are adult classes for art that you could enroll into or if there is a community college and check out a class or two to get into. Sometimes you need that feed back while you are still drawing on a piece and an instructor can give you that.
>>
File: t20160403_000755.jpg (80 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
t20160403_000755.jpg
80 KB, 600x337
>>2466141
I found one after looking though my closet, it's old but still the same as it would have been if I'd drawn it recently
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.