[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsx m4mUjf4w thank yer models kids
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: Untitled-1.png (731 KB, 1385x730) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
731 KB, 1385x730
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsxm4mUjf4w

thank yer models kids
>>
Fantastic
>>
File: sloth.jpg (29 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
sloth.jpg
29 KB, 500x385
oh I love that film, thank you for posting.
but I gotta say, the style is Sheridan College all over the place and I am not sure if this is a good thing. I am wondering what would have become of the artist without the disney flavour.
>>
This is the best work I've seen in years. Thanks for posting.
>>
File: feels good my n-word.png (204 KB, 800x670) Image search: [Google]
feels good my n-word.png
204 KB, 800x670
This has really lifted my spirits after being somewhat disappointed by Richard Williams' Prologue (which I can't seem to find right now).

Prologue had astounding animation but was pretty irreverent from a conceptual standpoint. This on the other hand was not only beautifully animated (not as much as Prologue of course) but was more thematically complex, conveying action, drama, humor and bittersweet sentimentality in a wordless story about a (by all appearances) reserved man that comes alive on the stage both with his posing and through the artist's hand.

This guy has potential.
>>
>>2452461
wait where did you see Prologue? is it online already?
>>
>>2452501
I don't remember honestly, it was online but it might have been taken down. It might have been shared by the "Persistence of Vision" Facebook page.
>>
>>2452509
nevermind, I found it on kat
>>
File: pawpaw.jpg (68 KB, 600x672) Image search: [Google]
pawpaw.jpg
68 KB, 600x672
>>2452520
Let me know how you feel about it. I definitely think the animation is great, but in the end I was left wishing Williams had left us with something more human than what amounted to a simple, and to be honest unremarkable, action scene.

I am consoled in the fact that his book and teaching will doubtless be a fixture in animation for generations to come (and probably had a role in the video in the op), but I can't help but feel pretty let down by his own personal swan song.
>>
File: hapfumpfrrrr.jpg (86 KB, 355x461) Image search: [Google]
hapfumpfrrrr.jpg
86 KB, 355x461
>>2452625
yeah pretty much what you said. I think I remember of reading that he always wanted to make one epic movie about two guys fighting each other plain and simple since he was a teenager.
I have to give him some credit, that this fight scene isn't really an action scene, but brutal and raw. nothing epic about it.
so nothing like sakuga. which is always fun to watch.
also I don't think Richard Williams is such a good story teller. he's always been focusing more on pure animation.
having said all this. I liked the film. it's simple and relentless. the only gripe I have is the ending with the old woman. it moves the topic from senseless killing to male brutes and suffering women, implying there is more to that little film.
>>
>>2452625
also there are some confusing elements in the film.
one error - in one scene the bald guy is wearing a toga and in the next one he's naked.
why is the young one shooting his own ally? did he aim for the bald guy or was he getting rid of him? whatever it's a bit strange, when he's in the middle of fighting the guy with the axe.
>>
>>2452757
forget the second remark, the bowman was with bald guy, my mistake.
>>
>>2452413
taha spent his four years at Sheridan doing figure drawing almost every single day (hence the film). he had no real 'style' coming into his third or fourth year and was worrying a bit about it, but the teachers knew and assured him his style would come through naturally, just as many people on here say. he just let it rock and this is what came about, certainly not because of any Sheridan influence. if it looks like Disney, it might just be because that's how the Disney artists also developed their style and got so good, pure observation that becomes great representation.
>>
File: 1382995855628.jpg (144 KB, 618x800) Image search: [Google]
1382995855628.jpg
144 KB, 618x800
>>2452774
do you know him personally? I am not saying it's bad or anything, his skills are evident. but I say that there is a clear Sheridan influence. if you spend so many years in Sheridan you won't emerge unswayed.
the film is very stylized - Disney style. it's not out of pure objective observation, there is no such thing.
especially the hands have that Disney touch.

I can almost always tell if the student is from Sheridan, or Gobelins (or some other french university) or CalArts.
all these people are very talented and work hard, but these colleges are highways to Disney or any other major Animation Company.
>>
>>2452866
I'm pretty sure all of those hands are by Milt Kahl, while he was one of the Disney greats there were subtle variations depending on who mained characters. Kahls hands are one of his surest tells since they are so blocky yet gestural.

And if you're doing 4 years at Sheridan you're probably going to take influence from people at Disney, 4 years at any animation course worth it's salt really.
>>
>>2452192

that was so cool. thanks for sharing opie.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.