[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone find digital painting lazy nowadays? I watch youtube
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: basegame_Icon.jpg (415 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
basegame_Icon.jpg
415 KB, 1600x900
Does anyone find digital painting lazy nowadays? I watch youtube videos of people digitally painting and how many "tricks" these supposed "professionals" get away with.

They actually still used burn for shading and dodge for highlighting. It also seemed they spent a lot of time playing around with various effects instead of actual painting. Especially various filters, like lens flare (really!) Playing around with filter opacity can only get you so far if your coloring and painting technique are weak.

I understand that in visual art, a lot of the time the end justifies the means, especially if people can't tell either way. But then there are obnoxious shortcuts. Like using texture brushes to paint something simple as clouds. Or using photo manipulations of 3D renderings or photographs as a backdrop. Don't even get me started on paintovers.

Yes it works, and it can look decent, but I am starting to notice that digital painting has started into merge into this generic, flat "look" such as in pic related. Mobile games and slot machines seem to look this way.

Is it because digital artists all sort of use the same techniques? Yes, there are examples of great digital paintings but they are more of the exception. Also, with advances in screen resolution and color output, there is more demand for larger, more detailed, more vibrant digital art. But it is all starting to look the same to me.
>>
>They actually still used burn for shading and dodge for highlighting
When you blend colors digitally it tends to kill saturation (since it's calculating a numeric value, not having two pigments interact). This is why digital paintings have a tendency to have all kinds of issues with saturation that a traditional painter doesn't have to think about as much. I find blending and layer modes extremely helpful in this regard.
>>
>>2451875

it's because this shit takes zero skill whatsoever. and that's why 'getting good' or 'muh portfolio' is total bs. you've noticed yourself that the amount of crutches these professionals seem to build their work on is through the fucking roof, and that's why this 'skill' is completely void of any inherent value.

Just like Rahid and Kumar started taking every webdesigners jobs back in the early 2000's, the average first-world 16 year old that torrented photoshop can now do the same kind of work that 90% of professional digital artists out there do. he might have to watch a few youtube videos but that's about it. oh and software is coming with increasingly better 3d-model poser software, etc etc. there is only a little value left in the ability to conceptualize cool looking shit. who knows how long that will last.

if you think you want to do this shit professionally, believe me... you don't. don't ruin your life.
>>
>>2451908

Just like all art jobs disappeared when photos were invented
>>
>>2451926
You're completely missing the argument.
Every art market from music to visuals is over saturated.

Just pick up a pencil and start marketing yourself as the next Picasso or you won't make it. Art has no value.
>>
>>2451954

okay I'll be over here not making it doing freelance concept art for a living.
>>
>>2451958
Hope you can network better than you can draw.
That's where the skill is.
>>
>>2451958

sure thing buddy, I'll be over here hiring artists and getting to pick my chump peon workdrone from an inbox filled with 200 artists all incredibly good and willing to work for 200$.
>>
File: katia_steps_by_janaschi-d88g6nu.jpg (211 KB, 1112x1857) Image search: [Google]
katia_steps_by_janaschi-d88g6nu.jpg
211 KB, 1112x1857
I remember when /ic/ went apeshit over someone like Janaschi, who some people saw as a pioneer in a lot of ways, while some people saw her work as boring. She has stagnated in recent years, yes her technique has improved, but not so much the content.

Also people don't really talk about her now because a lot of digital artists have caught up, as someone else mentioned in this thread, it has become outsourced, especially in east Asia.

It has become very much formulaic, I am already desensitized to magical women in skimpy armor, it all starts to look bland and unimpressive at some point.
>>
>>2451908

You think a bunch of 16 year olds created the designs for Destiny or The Force Awakens?

The problem with all of the cheats and tricks is that they inevitably make your art look like total garbage if there's no substance behind it. This is fine for a lot of concept work and cheap illustration, but you can't fake taste and design sense. There will always be a market for actually well designed and well made art.
>>
Post your work.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.