[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questions thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62
File: the_question.gif (2 MB, 1600x1062) Image search: [Google]
the_question.gif
2 MB, 1600x1062
Thread for questions that don't need their own
>>
Is there any real advantage to Clip Studio Paint over Photoshop or SAI? I was interested in getting PRO for the animator feature but the full version is only for EX.
>>
Which tablet should I buy? Should be affordable, but not frustrating to work with
>>
My hand's starting to hurt from drawing. It's not in my wrist it's I think in the mass below my thumb. Has this happened to somebody/does it matter or is it just muscles getting worn out that'll get strong again?
>>
>>2451740
do i really have do drawn to be good at it? cant i just look at pics?
>>
>>2451867
>Is there any real advantage to Clip Studio Paint over Photoshop or SAI?

I like the stabilizer more than sai and lazy nezumi , it also has better perspective tools in my opinion.

That said its all personal preference. Use them all and see which one you like better.

>>2451896
>Which tablet should I buy? Should be affordable, but not frustrating to work with

Huion tablets are probably the best ones at a cheap price. they have driver issues but you get what you pay for.
>>
>>2451937
Stretch out your arm, palm in front, like a stop gesture, relax while still stretched, point fist downwards, relax, repeat

Should be away in foreseeable time. If happening more often, you might have a problem though. Don't force yourself to work with this condition.

How long do you draw each day? What did you draw? How are you holding your pen/pencil?
>>
Thanks. I currently draw about 2 1/2 hours every day, though somedays more, rn mostly gesture drawings and circles and boxes and such. I want to work myself up to drawing ~10 hours a day. I guess I'll just take a lot of breaks.
>>
Can someone explain the Reilly method and gestures to me? Am I supposed to be drawing the abstraction lines over Vilppu style gestures or not?
>>
I'm practicing lines: should I practice drawing lines both forward and back, or ought one be only capable of drawing in one direction, like being non-ambidextrous?
>>
>>2452030
Similar question, drawing a figure over a gesture is way to much to handle everything looks diarrhea, the same thing happens with working from a silhouette.

What do?

Another question how do I get better at figure drawing from imagination?
currently I draw from reference and then i try and alter a limb on the reference so for example i redraw the body but i'll move a leg or arm.
Is there anything else I could be doing?

The only other things i do is i practice rotating and angling the bodyparts on their own or objects that resemble it for example a leg or a torso.

Is this all I can do?
>>
>>2452144
Draw from imagination. Then compare to things not from imagination. Take notes on what you did wrong. Remember for next time.
>>
>>2452144
When you need to remember a text. What is more effective. Just reading it till you remember. Or reading it, then putting it away and try recall the text. then reread it?

That's not different when doing livedrawing. Put the reference away and redraw the figure from imagination each and every time....
>>
File: Capture.png (117 KB, 440x615) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
117 KB, 440x615
>i don't know were to start on how to color ....
i can only do sketch and inking but when it come's to coloring i suck
>>
File: 1445232323148.png (57 KB, 600x434) Image search: [Google]
1445232323148.png
57 KB, 600x434
I'm a beginner (~1 month) and work with pencil/paper. I can draw faces decently when the primary head circle is around 5 cm in diameter, but when I try to draw it any bigger (8 9 10 cm+) everything looks off and it looks like shit. I can't put a finger as to why this is, anybody had this problem before?
>>
File: 1415916248624.jpg (36 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1415916248624.jpg
36 KB, 1440x900
>>2451971
You can't improve if you don't practice
>>
File: Heartbreak - small.jpg (320 KB, 900x1174) Image search: [Google]
Heartbreak - small.jpg
320 KB, 900x1174
>>2452289
I have no idea why that picture moved me. But here is a quick drawing of it
>>
>>2452225
Work on your values before you even think about color.
>>
>>2452213

>>2452151

good advice thanks, I think drawing from reference and hiding the reference i've never done before.
>>
How do I get good at critiquing color? I know what color schemes are, and how saturated and unsaturated colors work to travel to direct your eye. But besides that, I dont know. Can anyone show me some examples of bad color rendering, and good color rendering?
>>
How can I tell if I'm symbol drawing or not? Please answer my question.
>>
>>2452571
To me, any time I let my hands do their thing instead of carefully considering what I'm drawing, I'm drawing symbols.
>>
>>2452225
coloring is something you should experiment with until it feels right, don't be scared to recolor a drawing multiple times, especially when you're working with digital.
>>
File: 1438752462047.jpg (3 MB, 3028x4585) Image search: [Google]
1438752462047.jpg
3 MB, 3028x4585
So I'm picking up drawing seriously for the first time. Reading the wiki, I've begun practicing all day. I've started with Drawing on the Right Side (currently on this), then I'm moving on to Fun with Pencil and after that Perspective Made Easy. After that I plan to begin studying anatomy, gestures, etc. Is this a sensible plan or should I do things differently? Even though I'm pretty committed, it briefly feels like I don't have a clear path.
>>
>>2452597
There is just no clear path to learning art.
>>
>>2452597
Try drawing from imagination a lot. This is the most important part. All drawing is visual memory. You can draw anything you want right now, as long as you references on standby to look at. Perspective and Loomis just tells why stuff work. Not trying to discourage you from books or copying reference, but /ic/ beginners fall into the trap of turning drawing into some kind of video game, and right side of the brain being level 1.
>>
>>2452618
I see. I still think those books are helping me, but I'll mix into that some leisure drawing and reference drawings. I have the time, just gotta get myself focused. Thanks.
>>
>>2452630
The next thing I would say is for drawing from imagination is time. What I think what makes an artist an expert is how quickly they can pull off a picture. For your first image you post online, take as much time as possible to get it right. It will take a lot of re re re and redrawing and lots of reference images looking to study your subject. But it will be worth it, and it's better to get your online portfolio started asap.
>>
File: PicsArt_03-16-07.20.58.jpg (208 KB, 715x1217) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_03-16-07.20.58.jpg
208 KB, 715x1217
>>2452555
Can somebody please help...
>>
>>2452664
Who is this semen demon? From one of those chinese manhua's?
>>
File: PicsArt_03-17-09.16.40.jpg (423 KB, 1101x1704) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_03-17-09.16.40.jpg
423 KB, 1101x1704
>>2452670
Yeah, it was generic though. Copy of psychopass. So stopped reading after 4 chapters. I'm one of weeks that study japanese AND chinese.

Hey, can you answer my question?
>>
File: PicsArt_03-16-12.40.03.jpg (236 KB, 1440x1081) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_03-16-12.40.03.jpg
236 KB, 1440x1081
>>2452678
my bad. It's called 极度分裂
>>
>>2452678
>blowing up a qt into roses
mean
>>
Anything to help about drawing from imagination ? Every time i try without reference i feel like i can't really express my self, i know i should study the human figure, but is there anything that helps on this argument ?
>>
File: PicsArt_03-16-02.51.34.jpg (435 KB, 2192x1363) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_03-16-02.51.34.jpg
435 KB, 2192x1363
>>2452555
ic, onegai. Answer kureru
>>
File: 1416005790592.jpg (13 KB, 334x334) Image search: [Google]
1416005790592.jpg
13 KB, 334x334
>>2452659
Thanks man, this is a big help.
>>
>>2452692
you're welcome.
>>
Are there any picture tutorial/ video tutorials on perspective ? Perspective made easy and Loomis successful drawing don't really help me there .
>>
>>2452246
Maybe post an example ? Otherwise , it's possible your having difficulty keeping proportions down at a larger scale ? Your only a month so really don't beat yourself up.
>>
>>2452712
Marshall Vandruff has some video lectures on perspective, there are about 12 of them, each 40 minutes long. I don't think he explains anything that those books already explain, but the way he does it may make it "click" for you.
>>
>>2452246
you could try squinting and distancing your head from the paper often when you draw big, otherwise idk, just keep practicing
>>
I'm trying to learn how to "rotate" objects in 3D
i.e drawing 3d shapes from any angles for things like figure drawing. I had the idea of drawing a plan for the front, top, and sides of the figure to pose it but I'm not sure if this is to complicated or not. Any suggestions?
>>
does anyone have a torrent/zip/rar whatever of Photoshop cs5?
>>
>>2452590
>experiment with until it feels right
thanks anon
>>
File: otomo-Akira-vol1.jpg (78 KB, 736x514) Image search: [Google]
otomo-Akira-vol1.jpg
78 KB, 736x514
How do I paint in a similar way to katsuhiro otomo?
>>
I'm just starting on drawing and was wondering if using a mouse + SAI is a good idea

It most likely isn't, and is most likely an absolute fucking retarded idea, but if I really tried, could I git gud using a mouse?

Would skill transfer well from mouse to paper?
>>
>>2453446
Gauche. Look at 60's/70's retro sci-fi art. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the style!
>>
File: 1455638907900.jpg (144 KB, 1020x787) Image search: [Google]
1455638907900.jpg
144 KB, 1020x787
>>2453584
The short answer is-- No, not really.
It's supposed to be done the other way around; the paper should come before the computer, if we're talking cross compatability in skillset.
You would do better to just use paper for right now. Especially as a beginner, where you'll be picking up certain new habits in drawing; computers fuck up the good habits you get from traditional media, and traditional media fucks up the time saving habits you discover in a computer program. Plan accordingly.
>>
>>2453584
18x24 newsprint+vine&compressed charcoal is the best place to start. No debate.

Pencils are bullshit.

Mouse+SAI is like being right-handed, not knowing guitar, and deciding to learn it left-handed on a right-hand guitar strung upside down because that's how jimi did it. I mean you could in theory, but you won't.
>>
How do I approach a Master study? Was thinking of doing Death of Ophelia but I'm rather intimidated by all the details.
>>
I have Photoshop but I have my used it yet. I have about nine months left of it.

Are there any good instructional videos for learning to draw with Photoshop?
>>
File: 1450750950267.jpg (25 KB, 341x339) Image search: [Google]
1450750950267.jpg
25 KB, 341x339
>>2453602
kek
>>
>>2451740
Is there a tool in krita that is similar to the overhand grip?
>>
Anyone doing New Masters Academy? i've got 8 months to get gud, is it a worthwhile purchaase?
>>
>>2453602
That's only for portraits and still lifes.

Also for these: vine&compressed charcoal can be replaced with Wolff's Carbon and Conte a Paris 1710 B - B3(?).

newsprint -> smooth light grey wrapping tissue because newsprint is not available in some countries but paper for wrapping is.

But yeah, graphite pencils are pretty useless for that kind of stuff except a normal one for construction.
>>
>>2453602
But from what I'm reading, I SHOULD be doing this upside-down!
>>
>>2452729
front+side+backside or 1/2 is usually done for character sheets. It's useful because you rotate only around one axis and have all the measurements. Obviously, it's also useful as a plan when you draw a character a lot.

It's not wasted at all, it's a great exercise.

Dunno about top, nobody seems to ever bother with that one.
>>
>>2453765
>i've got 8 months to get gud

Anon, don't do this to yourself.
>>
>>2453765
My advice is to be patient with your work. Take your time to make a finished piece( like a weeks worth of work: 20-30 hours perhaps) each week or month, use references where appropriate and consume as much as you can about for example: color and light theory, perspective and construction and apply it in personal projects. The important thing is that, when you face a problem don't just wing it, make each stroke informed. Make smaller complimentary studies and sketch ideas regurlaly on the side and really think hard about what you want to communicate with your picture and how to do so, and which aesthetic pleases you ( look at other artist for inspiration).

Doing allot of studies in isolation isn't worth as much as you developing sensibilities for art and a robust knowledge on how to apply concepts in your personal work. Not to say, that you should't do studies soley from observation, for its own sake. Because you should learn how to observe proportions, valuse, hues and saturation so you can incorporate reference into your work and tinker with informed intention. However this is manuall labour, a skill that is thought. The more intresting thing is your personal expression in your art and here it can be very technicall or very naivly done.

The last thing is that you should't just paint or draw mindlessly from imagination or reference. To make every second be productive you have be focused on learning and improving in aspects of art, building on previouse knowledge. Or else you'll be stagnant.

And don't forget to make goals and plan in dedicated time in your day when you only work learning and raffining your work.

TLTR
- Spend alot of time finishing personal work
-Learn how to apply fundametnal concepts in your personal work
- Have a clear purpose for you making art
- Learn to draw and paint from observation
- Challange your self both technically and expression wise.
- Plan, make goals.
- Search for your inspiration.
>>
>>2453855
Thanks Anon for the well written response!
>>2453829
I meant get as gud as possible i guess. 8 months until i go to uni so i've got time to d/ic/k around.
>>
>>2451740
M8 why did you post this without a link to the older thread? And didn't link the sticky either...
>>
>>2453959
you'll have enough time to draw in uni unless you're chad
>>
How can I tell if I'm going to make it?
>>
>>2454132
We're all gonna make it.
>>
How do I make practical use of Scott Robertson's book? It all reads like perspective techniques for people who know how to draw already.
>>
I've went ahead and finished Hampton's lectures from the CGMA videos floating about. I thought they were great, but... I'm not sure how to apply the info he taught.

What do I do now with the knowledge he provided? There is a second 8 week lecture course that continues. Do I need to finish up both lectures to understand what he's trying to provide?
>>
>>2454204
yeah i have the same feeling reading it
>>
How the fuck do I draw from the shoulder when my hand sticks to the tablet.
>>
does our eyes see 2D or 3D?
>>
File: 20160311_221540.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160311_221540.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>2451740

MY NIGGAS

My brother is going to Las Vegas next week and wants to buy some art supplies to me. While I usually work on digital, I don't think that our 80$ budget is enough to buy a decent tablet or anything like this there.

So I ask you: Do you have sugestions for pencils/pens or anything else?

Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask it, but looking at the catalog, it seemed to be the closest place to talk about art supplies.
>>
>>2454273
By sweating less or using something like a smudgeguard

>>2454303
I hope you're not actually serious.
>>
>>2454309
huion 610pro is like 80 dollars
get w/e brand pencils like derwen kohinoor etc doesnt matter much
dont forget kneaded eraser
>>
>>2454303
2D 720p 30fps
>>
>>2453588
Are you sure its not acrylic?
>>
File: BigGun3.jpg (373 KB, 1075x556) Image search: [Google]
BigGun3.jpg
373 KB, 1075x556
Dunno if people here can help

I want to have screentones in SAI, I've seen people on DA offering different versions but wich one do people here recommendates? And beside screen tones are there any craftint textures available?
>>
>>2453765
To pick up on this.
Does anyone have experience with New Masters Academy - and is it worth the money?
It does seem like they have a shitton of stuff but you never know..
>>
>>2454537
Best way to look at those things is that they teach you what you already know.

Say you want to learn how to draw animals.
Pick up a book on drawing animals (some good ones can be recommend via Book thread). Try it, practice it, fail it. Finish the book.

Once you're done, THEN try to give New Master Academy a try and see how they can improve on what you already know. This goes for any subject within that academy (except for the more advance stuff).
>>
File: 010203.jpg (415 KB, 958x1400) Image search: [Google]
010203.jpg
415 KB, 958x1400
Can tracing or copying help you improve if you just want to learn anybody's style ?

Let's say you want to draw pic related very well, should you trace or copy it (maybe both) ?
>>
>>2454962
Tracing no, but copying like if you were studying from reality is very good to learn stylization.
Make studies of the gesture, construction, details etc but DO NOT TRACE
>>
>>2455107
nothim,

but what about building handeye-coord for inking and things of that nature ?
>>
>>2455113
Tracing is still not good for such thing.
>>
I'm an aspie with a short attention span and the penmanship of a third grader

Is there any hope for me?
>>
>>2454962
don't listen to the anti-tracing faggot.

Tracing CAN help, but you have to be very cognizant of why you're doing it. If you just trace mindlessly it does nothing. If you pay very close attention to WHAT the original artist was doing, think about why, think about how you do it differently, etc. Then tracing is a good practice tool. It helps you see tiny glimpses of another person's process.

Just keep it in small doses.
>>
how do I learn anatomy once and for all? I'm at a apoint where I have a little bit of confidence in my lines but don't know where to put them. I always have an idea of how the body should look like but there's so many things and curves to think about that I end up with shitty looking humans. Do I just look at references until it's burned into my brain? Do I practice each limb on its own and then try to piece it together?

How do you own anatomy?
>>
yeahj {I Unevbewr fuvckign sasw thwe thresad. what ? sindce when was it ever here in the past you cunts./
>>
>>2455146
Anon are you okay?
>>
>>2455149
fucking hate this place
>>
>>2455157
Good to hear, Anon.
>>
>>2454962
i like to trace my reference on my screen with pencil and then try to draw the same line on paper
>>
I wake up at 9:15 every day to meditate and draw until dinner, I've been doing this since August now, but today and until Monday I want a break, is it too bad to not touch a pencil for 5 days? I feel weird already
>>
>>2455232
you're human sadly not a machine. It's ok. Just take a break. It's coming back to it that matters the most in the end.
>>
>>2455133
Years of application. You will have to keep your anatomy books close to you while drawing normally.
>>
>>2455113
In the time you asked this here you could have tried it. It takes like 10 seconds.
>>
>>2455232
pleasebeweekone
>>
>>2455133
It's a very difficult subject. Don't expect to learn it in just a year. Read up on all the recommended anatomy stuff here and branch off.

Proko > Hampton > random anatomy lecture / book > vilppu > loomis > and so on

I usually keep anatomy for the Sculpture near by as a reference book. If i can't find a good reference in the book, i would google it for a proper image.
>>
>>2455133
Do a study of a leg before you go to bed. Then, as you're falling asleep, think of a 3-d model of that form in your head. Visualize it. Rotate it around. Think of how the planes of the form will look. Think of the bone it attaches to underneath.

Keep going!
>>
File: img001.jpg (593 KB, 1039x1600) Image search: [Google]
img001.jpg
593 KB, 1039x1600
I bet this has been asked a million times but here goes: if I can't draw at all but I decide to follow the w/ic/i's advice (Edwards/Loomis/Norling/etc.) and practice an hour every day, how long should it take me to get to a point where I can draw at a level that isn't completely embarrassing?

I'm guesstimating 2 years.
>>
what's an effective way to keep references in view on photoshop while drawing
>>
>>2455339
You can start with 1h, but you will often want to go overtime, because you want to learn more.
>>
Does anyone have an article or one of those infograph images explaining the differences between a female and male head? Or just the head/neck/upper body really besides obviously girls have tits and a slimmer waist and men have broader shoulders.
>>
>>2455339
Drawing isn't grinding for levels in a RPG
>>
>>2455339
>>2455394
>>2455609
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Al7QAS89s
>>
>>2455610
nice you can repost a link someone posted two days ago
>>
File: 1420824525023.jpg (940 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
1420824525023.jpg
940 KB, 2560x1536
is there any guides or anything to drawing/studying landscapes? ive been trying to do daily studies of them but i really just cant grasp them.
>>
File: sparks.jpg (70 KB, 640x247) Image search: [Google]
sparks.jpg
70 KB, 640x247
What is the spark?
>>
Would a website like New Masters Academy be able to track whether or not I save images from their image library?
>>
File: 1451870852948.gif (3 MB, 600x396) Image search: [Google]
1451870852948.gif
3 MB, 600x396
Which is better
>Keeping current alias associated with being funny and likable but have a few autistic enemies. Also have people who know a decent amount of drama-potential information about me
or
>Blank boring slate that only pumps out art

I do furry art.
>>
>>2455963
Why not both? You can be boring AND have autistic enemies, anon! <3
>>
>>2455886
It's bullshit people tell you so you feel bad and stop making art. There are two things that matter. How much you draw everyday and what is your capacity for understanding (IQ). The first matters more.
>>2454490
Don't be a pussy and learn photoshop.
>>2454204
I read Scott Robertson's book year and a half ago and I apply the knowledge from it all the time. It was one of the first drawing books I picked up and it was very confusing for me as well, but the books is really useful.
>>
File: my pain is constant and sharp.gif (2 MB, 225x96) Image search: [Google]
my pain is constant and sharp.gif
2 MB, 225x96
How do I know if I'm clinically retarded manually?

I'm in my 20s, drew for most of my life and still have problems making the pencil go where I want it to. I even picked up training off and on for the last couple of months and I'm not sure if I'm still supposed to be this shit.

Like, have you ever been drawing an eye and you want to make the brow arch but it goes in some semi-random direction and you have to settle with what you just put to paper instead? I have that all the time.
>>
>>2455963
Don't just suddenly switch over if you want to not be found. Do both for a while and switch over if it feels right. All it takes someone autistic enough to find your new alias after you switch over.
>>
>>2456034

Are you able to do basic exercises? Like drawing straight lines and elipses?
Can you connect dots and stuff? Like if you draw four dots can you connect them with a straight line or a curve?

Sometimes the problem is people fuck up facial feature placement because of lack of knowledge of facial features not line control, but if you consistently struggle and don't show improvement even with those exercises, it could be a problem with your approach (or in an off-chance your brain, but I doubt it). Check how you hold your pencil. Do you use your wrist, elbow or arm?
>>
>>2456055

I started to train to draw straight lines and simple forms from the shoulder. I connect two dots 10 cm from each other about half the time. I make an acceptable circle about 1/3rd of the time.

I used to use the tripod grip but since that put a lot of strain on my fingers and I don't need small manipulation for shoulder movement I switched to a sort of fixed grip that is fairly close to tripod in terms of the pencil's relation to the hand, but instead of gripping at the same height fingers apply pressure along the length of the pencil and balance each other out.

My problem is making my hand go where I want it to go, not anatomy. Anatomy has fuck all to do with it. I struggle with a regular smiley face (circles for eyes, simle matching the round outline of the head).
>>
File: 1450966721021.jpg (68 KB, 648x864) Image search: [Google]
1450966721021.jpg
68 KB, 648x864
Anyone know of any sites that has landmarks of gesture-like poses for muscles?

Doing Hampton's exercises, and the Leg part is killing me when it comes to poses like pic related. Hoping there's a site that has poses related to this and already has them colored in like John Reed, but only with more examples.
>>
>>2455609
this as fukcing fucking fuck holy shit
no one on /ic/ gets this
>>
>>2456183
What is it then? Do something over and over again is grinding. Just understanding art isn't enough, you have to built muscle memory.
>>
>>2456034
Some things are just shit and you have to work around them. (use 2 lines, rotate your paper, draw slower.)

Or try a totally different grip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of8wLYXdau4
>>
>>2451740
>>2453969

because the old question thread died hard, and no one who makes these threads paid attention.

that said, last threads op post

Ask any questions here, avoid making new threads for them!

Old thread - >>2417577 (Dead)

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/kVkkdzaX

New WIP Sticky: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VfDTpLLVl5bWUGWguswKpPFml533luI8-NBd1EGYHnA/edit?pref=2&pli=1

-- i have been lazy/busy/hey a game i like got patched must play though it again
ill go through the last thread tonight if you didn't get your crap answered if i got anything ill try to help.

and last thread

>>2432441

Im going to go through it and answer shit that didnt get answers/good ones later on... fucking tired from computer maintenance (software side) a firmware fuck up and generally no sleep for the last few weeks.
>>
>>2451981
paint tool sai / clip studio or manga studio

sai is the best for line art, bar none, dont bother with anything else.

that said thats the only point where sai excels if i remember right, after that its personal preference, i lean ward clip/manga as i dont require sais wight weight.

ON THAT NOTE a question

does manga studio have the animation tools or is that just a clip studio thing right now.
>>
>>2454303

Our vision is 2D, but stereoscopic. This gives us a sense of depth perception. It's not strictly 3D vision, but it's enough to make the difference if you're concerned about the distinction between photographs and life drawing.
>>
>>2455886
wanking teenager essence
>>
>>2456675
any torrents or links for clip and manga studio?
>>
>>2455610
I actually don't see how it's possible to draw for so long in one day without suffering wrist / shoulder pain.
>>
I’ve been drawing everyday for a while and noticed improvements in the past weeks. Then I’ve noticed all my mistakes. I thought drawing more would’ve helped me to overcome them but they still show up and no further improvements to be seen. This makes me mad. I bet it’s because I should change subject or approach to challenge me more… how do you usually behave in these cases? Have you got any practical advice or excercise to follow? Maybe a character designer should practice more real life and viceversa or… I don’t know, furry artists should do landscapes and things like this? Or you suggest to stick to your favourite subjects and endure? To put it short, what do I have to draw to improve a lot once again?
>>
Can you recommend some good books on drawing comics?
>>
Me again, does this makes any sense?:
http://forum.deviantart.com/art/general/1658118/

Can I follow this?
>>
Try this if you don't already know him:
scott mccloud comics
>>
>>2452725
This is good advice. I still have trouble with scaling because I have a bad habit of hovering inches away from the page. Get in the habit of sitting more upright when you draw. Important for keeping proportions, too.
>>
>>2456816
not sure exactly what you mean, but if youre saying that as you improve you just spot even more mistakes in your art, that's good! it means that while you're still having trouble implementing knowledge, yourknowledge is definitely growing. it means now you just have to keep practicing and the improvement will start to show again.
or if you mean some persistent mistakes keep appearing even though you try to fix them, some habits are just hard to break. if it's some specific area, like you always draw the bicep wrong, do a lot of studies of a bicep in many positions, looks at master works including biceps, watch as many different methods of drawing it as you can to try and get that one area on the same level as your other work. if it's something like you keep chicken scratching, just draw regularly but make sure, esp in the sketching stage, to keep an eye out for that specific issue and try to exaggerate and counterbalance it, eg to fix chicken scratching, try to draw something with only 5 broad, straight or C curve lines.

tl;dr, look at exactly what issues you're having. focus on them while 1. continuing to draw what you like and 2. experimenting more.
if you like drawing fuckin looney toons, do it, but in a variety of styles & mediums & poses & perspectives. subject matter is less important than HOW you place it and HOW you draw it
>>
>>2456849
Cool! These seems reasonable advices! Thanks a lot!
>>
>>2452725
this. I literally take off my glasses when drawing so that I can't see detail and it forces me to focus on the big shapes then when I want to do detail I put them back on but the proportions are already in at that point.
>>
What is a good book for anatomy with clearly defined proportions ? I am reading Scott Robertsons Book and Loomis but the proportions for ribcages pelvis etc just arent there. There are really good and precise head construction methods but I cant find anything good for other body parts.
>>
are there any specific books that you would recommend for anatomy; I know too check out based Loomis, but are there any specific books of his/any other artist? Thanks in advance.
>>
File: IMG_3209.jpg (593 KB, 1600x780) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3209.jpg
593 KB, 1600x780
Anybody knows if there is a torrent or something for Dynamic Sketching 2?
>>
>>2457013
Figure drawing design andinvention(my favourite)
Figure drawing for all it's worth

bridgman's constructive anatomy
anatomy for sculptors
classic human anatomy

these are just few good books, the hampton and loomis books go over general figure drawing including anatomy but the others are focused solely on anatomy. There is a fuckton of other good books so choose whatever looks good to you. You can even use medical anatomy books like Grey's anatomy, those should be easier to find in libraries.
>>
after an almost 4 month forced break im deciding to get back on the art train. i just busted out the tablet i got for christmas and it's extremely hard to adjust, i plan on rotating and practicing on paper, is there any exercises that can help me adjust , so far i can't use anything i have studied because i can't adjust.
>>
What are some must read comics for an aspiring comic book artist?
>>
What's the best mentality for art? Or rather, what's yours?

Heh, anyways.. Personally, I'm trying to find an equilibrium between taking art seriously ( Study from life, reading books, anatomy... ) And drawing irresponsibly by drawing what I want to draw ( Cartoons, often time symbol-drawings, screwing around...)

Obviously, we could all do better, but we often times "burn out" causing more harm than good, and other times if you decide to be silly with art it can lead to serious stagnation in progress... Serious. Stagnation. 5 fucking years. Anyway. What's you're idea of how to tackle art?
>>
>>2457227
I tackle art with a positive lighthearted mentality, it's always good to have a balanced set in order to prevent burning out mentally and physically. This is gonna sound a bit asinine but take your art serious but don't take your art serious
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-25+at+11.50.50).jpg (159 KB, 1355x668) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-25+at+11.50.50).jpg
159 KB, 1355x668
Why does Bert Dodson use this picture in his Keys To Drawing a couple of times? I just don't get what's so special about it. Anyone enlighten me?
>>
File: 1455088063164.jpg (234 KB, 1095x1195) Image search: [Google]
1455088063164.jpg
234 KB, 1095x1195
>>2451740
How the hell do i force myself to get to back to drawing I've wasted so much time doing nothing
>>
>>2457376
quick draw me something lewd
>>
>>2457227

I think you need to do some things your not gonna like if you planning to go pro. If not you can do whatever you want, but otherwise its important to do things you don't find exciting and try to find the joy in them.

Like lets say you hate perspective, try to find something in perspective you like, maybe designing is your thing so you focus on using ion that while practicing a drawing a cityscape.

Your going to be spending most of your professional art career painting things you probably wish you were already done with or are not your favorite subject so its important to get used to it.

Your also need to balance it with what you like however or you quickly forget why your even in art in the first place. do something you dislike for a couple hours take a break and do something you enjoy for a couple repeat.
>>
>>2457398
If you're a guy that's literally impossible.
>>
File: tip.png (14 KB, 368x466) Image search: [Google]
tip.png
14 KB, 368x466
I got a new computer and I can't remember how to fix this or what to Google...

Could some please help me out?
>>
I'm starting to draw heads and for the most part I've got the construction of the head ok. What I don't know is how eyes, eyelids, mouths, etc work. If I google "eyelid anatomy", I get a bunch of shit dealing with cells and ducts and whatnot. I need stuff from an art perspective, how muscles work, how the eyelids wrap around the eyes, etc. Any help?
>>
>>2457532
You might hate me but Loomis' plate on how the eyes work (similarly) to the lios helped me out a ton. Just remember to think in 3D.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-25-21-02-54.png (900 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-25-21-02-54.png
900 KB, 1080x1920
How the eff did this happen, brian?
>>
>>2457631
nice anime
>>
>>2457640
His other shit is godly compared to this. I can only imagine that its him transitioning into digital art
>>
File: 1410923715095.jpg (25 KB, 400x283) Image search: [Google]
1410923715095.jpg
25 KB, 400x283
>>2457631
classic brian
>>
>>2457376
Maybe a routine problem.

Maybe "Mastery" by George Leonard can help you. The meat for you probably starts at "Why Resolutions Fail—and What to Do About It." Torrents exist.
>>
i was thinking of trying watercolor/gouache but i only have old brushes from like middle school so i wanted to buy new ones but does it matter what they are made out of? some are from squirrels some are from ferrets or even pigs
>>
>>2458236
You want soft brushes for watercolor. People normally use sable, synthetic brushes or a blend. Hog's hair bristles are too stiff. Squirrel should be good.
>>
>>2458263
oh right its sabel not ferret
thanks
>>
>>2458236
Get one of them water brushes that you can fill up with water. So fucking practical. When I want to sketch in color somewhere outside I take this brush and a bunch of watercolor pencils and maybe some improvised tiny palette to mix color in. Perfect for simple sketching.
>>
File: ks__041_1_1.jpg (12 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
ks__041_1_1.jpg
12 KB, 650x650
>>2458314
like this? thats pretty cool
>>
File: aquarellepencils.jpg (176 KB, 1000x468) Image search: [Google]
aquarellepencils.jpg
176 KB, 1000x468
>>2458381
I literally got that exact same one. Check out watercolor pencils by koh-i-noor (pic related). They are cheap and the colors are amazing. You can just use them like pencils, or draw and then use the waterbrush to spread the color on paper or you can just rub the brush on the tip of the pencil to grab color on brush and use it pretty much like regular watercolor.
>>
>>2458452
oh cool i wanted to get the ones with the old man on the cover but those with berries seem to be even cheaper, im not sure because their website doesnt list the amount of pencils for this set just prices, i guess its because its not in metal box
>>
File: pencil.png (448 KB, 785x919) Image search: [Google]
pencil.png
448 KB, 785x919
>>2458514
looking at the catalog i noticed they also arent as pretty looking which i dont mind at all
>>
My local art store has pentel color brushes on sale. And I have budget for 5 of them. Which colors would be best to get if I can only get 5? Except black, I already have that one.
>>
I'm trying to understand gesture, following Vilppu, wondering if someone can answer these questions:
1. Is it better to use pencil than pen for gesture studies? (Currently using fine tip pen)
2. Is better to take my time with gesture studies or do them quickly?
3. What are my lines supposed to be capturing? The contour? The center lines? The border? Do I need to do cross contours? Should I try to delineate value?
4. What's an example of a "good" gesture drawing? An example of a "bad"? What makes it good or bad?
5. How do I show foreshortening in the gesture drawing? (I have a lot of trouble with this)
6. What *is* gesture?
>>
File: IMG_20160224_31831.jpg (29 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160224_31831.jpg
29 KB, 600x600
trying to use my breaks at work to get gud but im still at keys to drawing level. What should or could i do with my 15minute breaks and my hour lunch to get gud
>>
>>2458724

Depends on what colour schemes you like. Personally i'd go with neutrals; gray, sepia, brown and the one between "steel blue" and "olive green" in this pic. The others don't appeal to me, too neon.
>>
I just finished perspective made easy, but I didn't learn about how to put people in perspective.

Do you just learn the basic forms and then sculpt them in perspective?
>>
I know how to draw
I can draw from life
I can draw the figure
I can construct the figure
I understand perspective
I can construct in perspective
I understand and can construct anatomy

What's the next step that I should take?
I'm currently learning how to paint irl with different mediums and methods (Oil, Acrylic, Watercolor, Gouache, Casein, Pastel, etc etc)

I guess I have trouble with color and kind of unifying it. Maybe I should do some Nathan Fowkes studies.

But I can't quite figure out what exactly my next step in being an artist should be, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Some Rene Gruau to spice up the thread.
>>
How does /ic/ deal with drawing a straight line free hand the length of an entire page? I've been attempting to do it for a while now, but many of my lines end up being curved in the middle. Sometimes I get good results but its nowhere near consistent.
>>
>>2459158
I really like that painting
>>
I bought a whiteboard on ebay today.
I plan to have it sitting flat on my desk so I can doodle and scribble whilst watching videos and the like.
Realistically speaking, is this good practice? Or should I be doing something more focused?
>>
File: 1429375944427.jpg (5 KB, 250x184) Image search: [Google]
1429375944427.jpg
5 KB, 250x184
If you wanna start getting better at drawing full bodies/anatomy instead of just drawing things form the waist up, how do you start?
Short warm ups, like 30 seconds for each study or something longer, like 10 minutes?
>>
>>2459221
>whiteboard on desk
that sounds fucking retarded m8. Just hang it on the wall. Whiteboards are fucking awesome for exploring ideas and problem solving. Personally I always have a stack of papers in front of me on my desk at all times so I can draw whenever I have downtime or just feel like it.

Don't mindlessly doodle. Try excercises from Dynamic Sketching, they are simple so you can do them fast and easy and they help a ton.
>>
>>2457321
cereal guys I wanna know
>>
>>2459645
it's not special
>>
I want to learn coloring and shading what books or info do I need to get better at this?
>>
This probably sounds a bit silly, but when do you use other artists as references and when do you use real people?

I know for many things the real thing beats out other references before you know for a fact its real. However, sometimes artists are able to capture motion and gesture in a way that conveys it better than the real thing. Colors and values are also rarely chosen to imitate reality unless that's their purpose.
So at what areas is it better to look at other artists rather than reality? (naturally assuming you have a knowledge on how things are applied in nature)
>>
If I make a DA print and somebody buys it, am I getting bucks or DA points?

>>2459323
Watch willpu and don't think about time, think of result.
Do what he does at your comfortable pace
>>
>>2460313
Other artists when you want to replicate their look, their technique, their media, etc etc

Real people when you want reference for posing, anatomy, foreshortening, especially for clothing and fashion

It's the reason why we do Master Copies, so we can learn their process and shorthand of how they solved problems.
>>
File: 1458869320834.png (2 MB, 4248x2016) Image search: [Google]
1458869320834.png
2 MB, 4248x2016
How do I ink and color lineart in photoshop?

my friend drew something that I want to color
far left is the version he sent me
middle is my first attempt
right is my current attempt

both attempts look like shit to me but this is my first ever attempt at something like this.

and before you ask yes I asked him to scan it or give me the original so I could scan it but he never did
>>
Have a question to video related.
The pens he uses. Im not quite sure which those are.
They are from steadtler with a felt tip.
I've bough those but with a plastic tip? They are quite hard and have this silver casing. (Fineliner?)
They are pigment liner but i just dont know if those are okay because the ones he uses dont seem to be the ones i bought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk

he talks about them in the beginning in the second part at the beginning he shows them but not really clear.
>>
File: image.jpg (194 KB, 700x990) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194 KB, 700x990
>>2451740
Well. It's pic related. More specifically her ass. Is that would it would look like from that angle? I've been seeing this more and more recently in a lot of front facing nudes, where the checks show just barely between the legs. Is that accurate or is it a fetish/stylistic thing?
>>
>>2460913

Are you having trouble finding pictures of actual naked women on the internet or something?
>>
>>2460920
No. I've actually been focusing more on facial expressions recently, just wanted to try to drum up some conversation on it. Guess I'll fuck off to google then.
>>
File: 1387423831431.jpg (48 KB, 429x377) Image search: [Google]
1387423831431.jpg
48 KB, 429x377
Is there a guide or anything that goes over the differences in drawing heads for a guy vs a girl?

I mean humans are humans the only things I can see is that typically guys have squarer jaws and typically wider chins. More blocky faces
>>
>>2460913
kind of looks weird in the pic

>>2460920
it's a weird angle i dont see whats wrong with the question
>>
>>2460877
the whole image is fucked

guessing it's meant to be that silver haired kid from hunter x hunter
>>
>>2457376
What's working for me is do everything in blocks.

30 minutes uni work
30 minutes drawing
30 minutes uni work

etc

doesn't have to be drawing, works with gaming, maybe watch one episode of anime in your 30 minute break
>>
>>2460913
Good question, I always asked that myself. They are barely visible in a frontal view, so my guess is yes.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/forduft/o0-1
is this interesting?
>>
So I'll start going this weekend attending a weekly figure drawing class for the next 3 months, and I'm not sure whenever I should or not practice this week in preparation for the class.

Last time I drew in a daily basis was about 4 months, and I don't feel that I have any good chops for drawing at all, so I don't want to carry any bad habits once I start going to the drawing class to compliment my drawing routines once I start attending the class.

Still, they asked me to bring any drawing references. I got a few pieces that I feel "proud" of, but I wonder if I should draw new stuff or not for the class.

What do you say, /ic/? Should I practice onwards the class or should I just get into the class with a "blank state", so to day?

Picture related from google search, not my work.
>>
>>2461275
You should practice because you WANT to practice, not because you want to look good when you start a class.
>>
>>2461280
who cares why he practices so long as he does it? I had a friend in highschool who had a decent hand for portraits. He would draw people in class and purposefully "accidentally" leave them out for girls he was interested in to see. It actually helped break the ice with some of them. He actually improved quite a bit over the years from this practice.
>>
>>2461280
Well, I definitely don't want to draw in the class to make an impression. I meant that I don't want to restart drawing carrying bad habits or drawing misconceptions from my previous efforts, hence the "blank state" comment. Sorry if I didn't explain myself clearer.
>>
>>2461294
Ah, I get it now. And yeah, you should practice. Your efforts aren't going to be ruined by bad habits if you're trying to learn. If you're unsure of what to do in preparation look up videos on gesture, figure drawing and quick sketching. Proko's stuff is a good start. And then just draw a lot while you get comfortable with the concepts.
These are all good for practicing figure drawing:
http://artists.pixelovely.com/
http://reference.sketchdaily.net/en/
http://www.quickposes.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/onairvideo/videos
>>
1. I know simply tracing stuff is really bad, but I've tried a couple times to attempt to break down others' art into basic shapes, remove the "traced" layer, and then try to work my way back up to the finished product. Is this helpful? Harmful? A waste of time?
2. As a beginner, I keep trying to draw in different poses, usually by going stick-skeleton -> shapes around the lines -> filling in. Is this counterproductive; should I try to stick to simple poses like what furries draw on ref sheets?
3. If I draw a furry, do I have to go to /trash/ to try to get it critiqued, or is this board fine (probably in Beginner's Thread)? And if not, what about if I'm drawing a character from media, like Disney's Robin Hood, Digimon, Looney Toons, or D&D (Kobolds, Dragonborn, Gnolls, Lamias...)?
>>
The steps are drawing body poses, then detail then deriviving to learn right?

Should I practice on paper or is using a drawing tablet fine for learning?
>>
>>2461377
Pencil and paper is generally easier but if your main goal is digital, it's a good way to learn/get experience on a tablet.
>>
>>2461383
yeah main goal is to make money from drawing porn through commisions or something like that. But i want to do it well and be renowned for quality so i dont want to take shortcuts. I dont really see art as a passion anymore but an easy way to make money
>>
>>2461358
1. I know simply tracing stuff is really bad, but I've tried a couple times to attempt to break down others' art into basic shapes, remove the "traced" layer, and then try to work my way back up to the finished product. Is this helpful? Harmful? A waste of time?
Sure, why not.

>2. As a beginner, I keep trying to draw in different poses, usually by going stick-skeleton -> shapes around the lines -> filling in. Is this counterproductive; should I try to stick to simple poses like what furries draw on ref sheets?
Starting from stick figures is a good way, but don't take the lines too seriously, they are mostly for general spacing and positioning on the paper and they aren't 3D objects themselves, so they are easy to misunderstand later.

No clue what you mean with furries on ref sheets, but you should probably just try it out if people recommend it.

3. If I draw a furry, do I have to go to /trash/ to try to get it critiqued, or is this board fine (probably in Beginner's Thread)? And if not, what about if I'm drawing a character from media, like Disney's Robin Hood, Digimon, Looney Toons, or D&D (Kobolds, Dragonborn, Gnolls, Lamias...)?
If someone on /ic/ gets their rageboner out, just post it somewhere else. There is no fixed rule about what is allowed, because someone is always offended or wants to be a smartass (for example by citing the rules.)
>>
File: Steve-Carell-sad.jpg (112 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
Steve-Carell-sad.jpg
112 KB, 1200x627
>>2461395
>I dont really see art as a passion anymore but an easy way to make money
>an easy way to make money

should we tell him?
>>
>>2461406
>3
Yeah, I just wanted to know if I'd be guaranteed a ban for posting OC if it's furry. So, not necessarily, but be wary about it?

>>2461413
Furries pay massive autismbux if you can stand the weird fetishes.
>>
>>2461413
after seeing how much people pay for mlp and furry porn i dont think its that hard to get into that side of the industry.
>>
What exercises can I do while not studying from books? I need to break the monotony of grinding Loomis for an hour.
>>
File: what color are nipples again.png (127 KB, 569x630) Image search: [Google]
what color are nipples again.png
127 KB, 569x630
Alright this is gonna sound silly but what is a good pink hentai nipple color? I left it grayscale for now. And I the color need it in HEX. Reason I'm asking is because I'm semi colorblind. Will post updated work after suggestion.
>>
File: nipple.png (351 KB, 1292x617) Image search: [Google]
nipple.png
351 KB, 1292x617
>>2461467
here, i think its alright.

You could also sample from this image for different shades
>>
>>2461481
Hmm that looks almost too real of a color. Also my girl's skin is pale intentionally.
>>
File: nipple-2.png (799 KB, 1059x472) Image search: [Google]
nipple-2.png
799 KB, 1059x472
>>2461484
how about more along these lines, i included two colours for this
>>
>>2461496
Doesn't look good just recolored it, the problem is you are eye dropping from JPEGs, the pixels aren't perfect colorwise. Because of JPEG's artifacts. Saving the screenshot as a PNG doesn't fix this problem.
>>
How far should I go with my drawing skills if my aim is to start reading Alla Prima and learn oil painting?
>>
Does someone know a good video or artist that give good character design tips ?
>>
File: blades-of-glory-stills-02.jpg (374 KB, 1999x1303) Image search: [Google]
blades-of-glory-stills-02.jpg
374 KB, 1999x1303
how do you guys tell the difference between a sketch and a drawing(something you would sell). or would you sell a sketch too? when you are going to make a drawing you intend to sell and its not a commission what kind of paper do you use? how do i make artwork thats officially fit for purchase? i dont get this
>>
File: Screenshot_6.png (9 KB, 961x65) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_6.png
9 KB, 961x65
I used to have a flow adjuster next to the opacity one in photoshop, it seems to have vanished. Anyone have any idea where the hell it went and how to get it back?
>>
>>2462130
Do a system restore if it's gone but was once there.
>>
>>2462138

I don't know how long its been gone for - I stopped using photoshop for a while the last two months or so, and I'm reluctant to do that until I've exhausted other options.
>>
File: 1334681768875.png (96 KB, 247x231) Image search: [Google]
1334681768875.png
96 KB, 247x231
Someone I know is getting into art. They are very much a beginner. I want to buy them art supplies mostly for drawing/sketching and then coloring said sketches.

What do I have to know? What are good things to buy for someone like this? What to avoid (ie garbage looking "beginner art sets" filled with crayons on amazon).
>>
>>2462203
How much money do you want to spend?
>>
>>2462210
Under $100. If possible under $50 but if it's too much quality sacrificed, then over $50 will have to do.
>>
>>2462203
Heavy paper sketchbook, some high quality soft (B range) pencils, and charcoal pencils of different colors.
>>
>>2462220
Supplies is something an artist always needs, so your friend will probably buy themselves some shit out of necessity.
Books not so much. I'd loved some good books starting out, it also makes avoiding things like 'How to draw manga' a bit easier.

I'd get him something like Perspective made easy by Norton (10$), Keys to drawing by Dodson (15$) or Fun with a pencil by Loomis (33$).
Maybe get an art book by one of his favourite artists. Art books can be pretty expensive though.

A nice good quality sketchbook is always very nice for supplies. A nice lead holder, something like a Steadtler Mars. Some wooden pencils in a good case.
For those things you can best visit a local art store.
>>
>>2462235
[spoiler]just pirate the books they're literally everywhere on the internet[/spoiler]
>>
>>2462240
It's so much nicer to have books in person though.
It will also be a nice reminder to when that one person really helped him start getting into art.
>>
>>2462203
That depends way too much on what they want to draw and a bit on their character. Also, what mean "getting into art?" Art school?

Also, millions of art supplies of any kind are shit, even the "good" ones. Most art stores here only have second rate stuff because they have fixed contracts.
>>
>>2462203
Pencils, charcoal, paper, keaded erasers should be enough. Since they are beginner, their drawings will be practice, not finished masterpieces so you are looking for stuff that won't hinder them but not necessarily the highest possible quality. Rather than getting one high quality, expensive thing, get many ok quality things.

Pencils: Faber Castell and koh-i-noor make good quality for low enough price. I recommend 2B or lower, get more of them.

Charcoal: get some medium vine charcoal and some charcoal pencils mainly soft.

Paper: Newsprint rolls are great but don't make the most presentable gifts... Some sketchbooks with thick paper, even better if it's textured and toned will be great.

Also consider getting some 0.3 felt tip pens if your budget allows. Steadtler makes great ones. Microns are great as well.
>>
>>2462244
I agree to some extent, but at least skip the "Fun with a pencil by Loomis" for $33.
>>
>>2453709
ctrlpaint
>>
If my goal is to just do scenery pictures Bob Ross style using oil paints, what areas of fundamentals should I focus on that will allow me to jump into painting as soon as possible?
I'm currently working through Perspective Made Easy. I've heard that being good at drawing isnt a strict requirement to being good at painting
>>
Is modern art demented and bad for mental health?
>>
Is the best way to learn anatomy from life without model to draw yourself naked in a mirror and break down the shapes of your body??
>>
>>2462292
You can pretty much start directly, as painting and drawing from life are basic ways to train beginning artists and to get better as an artist in general. You will find a lot of material about it as long as you stay out of the drawing hobby section.

You can throw indeed most fundamentals out of the window, but you will probably end up drawing a lot for some time anyway, as a way to train your eyesight and more. Perspective and Color&Light are useful fundamentals so you have it easier when interpreting the scene, but they will be probably explained to you in a few books about drawing from life.

Otherwise it's mostly construction by sight, seeing colors correctly and how you use your materials.

Basically, it's basic traditional artist training for drawing landscapes as opposed to portraits. No clue what exactly would be useful, but Dover Publications reprints a lot of older art instruction books for cheap.
>>
>>2462311
Draw or memorize?

Memorize:
Bridgman's "Drawing from Life."+touching yourself a lot+posing naked in front of the mirror.

Draw:
Learn to draw from life?
Probably yeah.
>>
File: 1457299343761.png (18 KB, 273x244) Image search: [Google]
1457299343761.png
18 KB, 273x244
>>2462368
>touching yourself a lot
>>
>>2462404
*That* kind of touching won't teach you much. Pervert.
>>
>>2462341
Awesome! thanks for the response! I might try doing drawing and painting side by side so as not to get burnt out.
>>
I'm in need of some advice. I've been doing art shows around North Florida for about four years now and I can't see it headed anywhere. I'm attending a small arts college (because of the full ride they gave me) and am regretting it. I feel like I don't have enough time to work on my personal pieces and that is what keeps me sane. I guess what I'm asking, should I continue on and finish up at the free but mediocre art school, or start applying at the more prestigious schools? and should I continue my involvement in the smaller art galleries and festivals or try to look for something better. I charge six dollars an hour for my work. Am I selling myself short?
Thanks so much.

http://morgantmotes.blogspot.com/
>>
File: collage.jpg (2 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
collage.jpg
2 MB, 1200x1200
^ here is some of my work.
>>
>>2462483
Your compositions are boring and there isn't much of an aesthetic throughline. If you are aiming to get some people to buy wall decorations I'm sure it's fine but if you want to start marketing yourself as an artist you need to focus on developing a more cohesive artistic voice. Any work or exposure in the meantime is good as long as it doesn't distract you from improving.

Art school is useful if you have a lot of money to burn and can't get motivated to practice on your own. Really though they are only useful if they offer actual instruction on the fundamentals or are prestigious enough to get rich peoples kids to attend for their connections, which you could develop through gallery showings. I have no idea what the art scene is like in North Florida but I'm sure you have some idea about whether its time well spent.

The thing with art is that the only way to gauge your worth is by seeing how much people are willing to pay you. If you really want to improve quickly move to a city with a more competitive art scene. You'll have to deal with a lot of bullshit idiots but if you feel like the galleries you are dealing with are too small it's the fastest way to measure the caliber of your art. At your level I wouldn't recommend it though unless you are really willing to commit. It might sound like selling out your "artistic vision" but if you want to make money as a fine artist see which of your paintings get the most attention or sell and keep replicating that style.

As far as finishing your degree, do whatever you like but if it's free why not complete it? If you've been there for four years already how much longer could you possibly have left anyway.

If I were you and was serious about making it as an artist I'd start saving up money, finish the degree, and move to a bigger city.
>>
Thanks so much. That's what I was planning to do so it's nice to hear someone else agree. I feel like I can't find my worth here. Iv'e already participated in near 40 galleries or festivals and every time just goes the same.
Also, I appreciate the critique on composition. I have started noticing that recently.
About the degree, I'm only in my second semester. I have a few years left to go. I was featured artist at a gallery my Junior year in high school and have just been doing more since then. I would have no problem completing if I was that far in. but Iv'e essentially just begun.
>>
>>2458803
Anyone mind answering these?
>>
>>2462564
1. literally doesn't matter
2. take your time until you know what the fuck a gesture drawing is then speed it up
3. the "feel"
4. something that captures the movement of the figure is good, an hour long chicken scratch festival is bad
5. the same way you draw everything else
6. warm up and eye training

Gesture drawing is just an exercise, it's not some art style. It will help you to understand how to see a figure through line work and how to construct it. There are not any concrete rules about how to do it and all the instruction you really need is in the name itself.
>>
>>2462483

>north florida

lol move literally anywhere else
>>
>>2458803
1. subtly different. use both.
2. It depends. Are you moving your hand quickly, or moving your brain quickly? But yeah, your hand should be moving fairly quick. Think purposeful, decisive, and singular. No chicken scratch. You fuck something up, well, no matter.
3. Contour is an obvious one, but you can use gesture lines to 'summarize' value, too. Try looking at where shadows end and begin, and delineating that.
4. Good: You did it quickly, and you did it because you successfully communicated how you reduced your subject into a simple enough study so that a quick gesture could have been produced in the first place. Going off of this, there are countless ways to make a good gesture drawing of the same subject, in the same pose. Bad gesture? I can't think of anything other than you focusing on trying to produce a 'good' drawing and thus turning it from a gesture into more of an illustration draft. That's what I used to do, at least.
5. Line weights, proper perspective (fucking duh) and idk what else.
6. A method of iterative studying of a subject. Not meant to produce great drawings, but many of them. and quickly, so that you understand the subject a great deal by the end of the process.
>>
should I use a mechanical pencil
>>
>>2452114
Are you talking about your pencil strokes? Eventually you may have a project where you can't rotate the canvas, at which point being able to draw capably in multiple directions is required. Don't limit yourself if you don't have to. :)
>>
>>2458803
>1. Is it better to use pencil than pen for gesture studies? (Currently using fine tip pen)
Doesn't matter, whatever you like to use
>2. Is better to take my time with gesture studies or do them quickly?
Depends on how fast you think
>3. What are my lines supposed to be capturing? The contour? The center lines? The border? Do I need to do cross contours? Should I try to delineate value?
Check out "Gesture Drawing for Animation" by Walt Stanchfield for a different take
>4. What's an example of a "good" gesture drawing? An example of a "bad"? What makes it good or bad?
You can use it
>5. How do I show foreshortening in the gesture drawing? (I have a lot of trouble with this)
Then don't. Perspective is something else to learn.
>6. What *is* gesture?
See 3. But it is a very overloaded term. When in doubt replace it with a different term that fits better.
>>
>>2462632
Ouch, I meant "Simplified Drawing for Planning Animation" by Wayne Gilbert, but the one above also works.
>>
should I start with drawabox?
>>
>>2461246
yes its that character

is it really that bad that I can't do anything with it?
>>
>>2462682
Do what with it? You have a bad drawing of a part of a cartoon character's head. Do you have some kind of long term plans?
>>
how do i learn to draw cute furry stuff like disney animals (robin hood, lion king, zootopia, etc) or pokemon or like those japanese furry artists on pixiv/twitter?
>>
>>2455132
This is helpful advice. Tracing actually helped me improve tremendously. (Just don't post those works as your own. Practice only.)
>>
>>2462682
you're trying to polish a turd, the shading isnt totally awful but the original picture is
>>
Whats the best book for learning body proportions and poses?

Then what about details?
>>
>>2462755
You draw a lot of them while looking at a lot of them

>>2462925
>>/sticky/ and most importantly your eyes.
>>
>>2462632
>>2462607
Thanks guys! That animation book is also really good
>>
I just downloaded Sketchbook pro and it's pretty good, but is it possible to tone the canvas without laboriously painting over it? The stark white blinds me.
>>
>>2461254
Thank You! I thought so too. I know a bit would show, but wasn't sure if it was exaggerated like everything else in the anime/manga "medium" but as >>2461245 pointed out it's a strange angle.
>>
>>2452555
henry hensche
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.