[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pic unrelated I am a professional in the 3d industry and have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: yanjun-cheng-141215s.jpg (266 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
yanjun-cheng-141215s.jpg
266 KB, 1000x1333
pic unrelated

I am a professional in the 3d industry and have basic drawing skills but ultimately want to get better, but I feel im in between loomis and all that and basic perspective, but i still struggle with getting to the next level. Can anyone help me and talk w/ me about potential study paths to follow?

My goals are:
- the usual concept art paintings like jama jurabev and maciej and so on
- fashion and portrait drawings in that similar style but actual line art too. Just solid realism, being able to draw environments and people and faces and all that. from study and imagination.

What ive studied in the past:
- Perspective, i have a solid grasp on the fundamentals and don't need to revisit boxes and moving shapes around in space, but I can definitely get better at it I'm sure
- Figure drawing, took multiple classes. Not bad, but my limit comes in getting them to look better after the 1-3 min mark. My fast gestures are okay, my detail renderings and shit are .. shit.
- Loomis and bridgeman books, ive drawn every image in them front to back.

So its like.. do I go back for another round of that? Do I move forward to do x and try x? What might that be? Im a bit stuck. I wouldn't say im a beginner to drawing and need to start with the basics, but im definitely not good enough to say pay the bills with concept art.

My utmost goal would be to begin to be able to draw faces and realistic looking characters so I can build off of that and get into industrial /product studies and then paintings and environments.

Thank you.
>>
>>
> Figure drawing, took multiple classes. Not bad, but my limit comes in getting them to look better after the 1-3 min mark.

seems like you might be drawing too fast if your done after 3 minutes. whats your drawing process like? do you draw without thinking or do you pause every couple strokes and plan ahead?

One thing I noticed you didn't mention as well is anatomy, can you draw an accurate skeleton from imagination? Do you know what each muscles insertions and origins are?

Loomis is great but is more basic when it comes to anatomy , you'll need to do indepth study with books like atlas of human anatomy in order to get to a high level.
>>
>>2450477
Oh so I meant 1-3 min gestures, like those sites / in figure drawing classes where the poses would change really quickly. I draw messy and heavy so even when it goes to the 10 min poses my results don't really get better since its already plagued by the heavy messy under drawing

I've been working on removing that by being more deliberate, which is why I'm leaning towards going back into some books and doing front to back studies but this time much cleaner.... But that doesn't solve the subject matter questions really.

We had some anatomy clases, I do know the origins of a lot of muscles and certain landmarks to look out for.. I would say its worse than my perspective though.

I can do an okay skeleton from imagination. I feel way more confident with a skeleton than an actual portrait
>>
>>2450472

lol at how fucking bad maciej is
>>
File: Hicks.jpg (337 KB, 900x1137) Image search: [Google]
Hicks.jpg
337 KB, 900x1137
>>2450472
>Even in pen and ink Maciej photobashes everything

You can't make this shit up. He just copied a photo of some Asian chick's face and (badly) drew a Yuffie costume around it.

>>2450477
This, you have to go slow before you can go fast.
>>
>>2450492

>Oh so I meant 1-3 min gestures, like those sites / in figure drawing classes where the poses would change really quickly.

>I draw messy and heavy

1-3 mins is a bit too fast for a beginner I think, you may not have a choice if your in a life drawing class but focus on putting in a few accurate light lights in place rather than a bunch of inaccurate messy ones.

Speed comes from accuracy and better decision making not from moving your hand faster.

> doing front to back studies but this time much cleaner.... But that doesn't solve the subject matter questions really

Everything you do affects your art, if you instill a habit of doing messy inaccurate studies you will make messy inaccurate drawings.
>>
>>2450501
Wut is photobashing in a pen and ink drawing...
>>
bump

books, courses, path of learning? portraits , concept art, etc..
>>
>>2450440

There are three drawing skills that you need to master in order to be a skilled 2D concept artist:
>life drawing ( the ability to draw things as you see them)
>drawing from imagination (the ability to draw things without reference)
>construction (the ability to draw things using guidelines and simple shapes)

Anything pertaining to humanoids involves basic mastery of anatomy and figure.
Understanding of the form, proportion, and function of the torso, limbs, head, hands, and feet are required if you want to have decent character design.
(i.e.. if you don't understand feet, shoes will always look wrong, and so on)

My guess, is that you need to work more on figure drawing.
I think the Loomis and Bridgman books are intended to be used more for troubleshooting.
(i.e, draw gesture, attempt anatomy, read books to find out where you messed up, fix mistakes, try again)

I recommend Michael Hamptons Figure Drawing book, and Mike Mattesi's Force Drawing book.

When you understand those three drawing skills, it's just a matter of building up a visual library.
watch films, game cutscenes, documentaries, etc. and just do studies of whatever interests you.
Draw the thing a few times with reference, and a few times without, and keep doing that until you can draw it from memory.
Once it's memorized it's a part of your visual library, and you'll be able to implement it in future designs and stuff.

I recommend studying things like composition, color theory, and design last, because they require understanding of the fundamentals (line, value, form, perspective, etc) to be used effectively.

>TL;DR master the fundamentals of drawing and painting, and you will know how to draw/paint ANYTHING realistically.

>Recommended Study Path: Gesture>Figure>Anatomy>Fashion
>>
>>2452231
Thank you very much. I'll check out those books and then just begin the path of doing studies of the things i want to be able to draw
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.