[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else here hate drawing people you know personally,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Does anyone else here hate drawing people you know personally, like a friend, family member or partner?

It's not that I'm not confident enough to do it just I'm worried it will insult it in some way. Or the opposite, even if it does turn out fine, in the case of family, they gush over it and make it a big thing among relatives which brings awkward attention.

I remember when I was maybe 11, my sister just had a baby at the time. So while the baby was asleep in her crib I tried drawing her. I personally didn't think it was great but of course my sister and my mom thought it was amazing and wouldn't stop raving and gushing over it among the rest of the family exclaming "OMG LOOK ANON DREW THE BABY ISNT IT AMAZING" and it just made me feel awkward and uncomfortable.

But even today, my boyfriend keeps asking me to draw his face on the Hulk's body for no random reason other that he thinks it's funny. I don't want to do it because I feel weird about the idea of drawing my boyfriend's face on the body of the Hulk. It's a mix of not wanting to draw because I wont get the right expression right. Drawing it alone will take time due to the amount of reference I need to draw everything right, and overall I just don't want ro draw it because it's just fucking weird and I don't need or want anyone else to see it. The idea of drawing it makes me feel embarrassed.

An I wrong? Does anyone else here hate drawing people they know personally, especially for a weird request?
>>
I don't like it either. It's easier to feel like it doesn't look right when it's a face you're really familiar with, and I'm in the same boat as you about the attention thing.
I drew a picture of our family dog for my mother and she framed it and shows people. I'm flattered, but it's also not a very good drawing so it's a bit embarrassing.
>>
>It's not that I'm not confident enough to do it just I'm worried it will insult it in some way. Or the opposite, even if it does turn out fine, in the case of family, they gush over it and make it a big thing among relatives which brings awkward attention.
This is exactly how I feel.
>>
>>2450075
This is why I have some cute, generic style to fall back on when someone insists I draw them. If it's generic enough it'll look cute and they'll think i's flattering. Everyone's always been overjoyed using this.
>>
>>2450075

I've gone through stages of discomfort with things, myself, other people I know, drawing buildings and landscapes in public, drawing people I don't know clandestinely. At first I was uncomfortable. For a few weeks at work I would walk around with a sketchbook on my lunch break not having the balls to sit down and draw because I was afraid people would see and think I was shit, but eventually got over it and the first time was so much fun I do it as much as I can.

If it's something you want to do, do it, and you will probably become comfortable with it. If you don't want to do it, don't, and just draw what you like to draw.
>>
I only draw things I don't want to draw if I'm paid for it.
>>
>>2450840
I use this policy and it's never done me wrong.

If you don't want to do it, but feel bad about it, just explain how much work it is to draw something like that to your boyfriend. I've noticed that the main reason my family members have the same reaction as yours, and were always asking me to draw things for them, was entirely because it didn't occur to them that it would be anything but a brief fun romp for me to fill their requests. But when I explained in a nice way what goes into a single piece of finished art and a little about the price range you usually get from similar jobs, they were genuinely embarrassed and apologetic for not thinking it through. After that, they infrequently came to me with legitimate jobs and were very happy to pay me standard rates. They loved commissioning me and were glad to contribute to my art career by paying as much as they could. So just explain once, and it'll probably go really well. It's probably just a comprehension barrier. You shouldn't have to be pressured into drawing things you'd rather not.
>>
File: drowning2.png (3 MB, 2224x3105) Image search: [Google]
drowning2.png
3 MB, 2224x3105
Drawing my girlfriend is challenging but fun for me and really brings out the best in me and helps me get better. I drew this of her recently, it's better than the last time I drew her so I'm pretty satisfied.
>>
>>2450075
You should draw your bf as hulk. I want to see that too.
>>
My family barely knows I draw
I like to keep it that way and I only draw strangers
>>
>>2450075
One of my cousins paints in the living room with the easel turned away from everyone and doesn't want anyone looking at it until it's done.

I think that makes sense, considering I scrap most of the stuff I draw that isn't up to the quality I want. I'll show people stuff I actually finish that I consider decent, but the process isn't really great. Also, people tend to look at stuff before it's finished at tell me it looks terrible, but like the ending piece if I don't show it to them during it's creation.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.