[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>thought I was talented >thought I could draw >realize
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: 1456289917378.jpg (12 KB, 201x199) Image search: [Google]
1456289917378.jpg
12 KB, 201x199
>thought I was talented
>thought I could draw
>realize I am not, and cannot
>realize how I placed too much value in the compliments I got from my peers
>wonder if I might be slightly retarded for not noticing this until now
>my fucking face when
Please tell me I'm not alone and this is just one of the rites of passages into gitgud
>>
>>2446188
NO TALENT
JUST HARD WORK
>>
>>2446188
Yes I think its safe to assume that most of us went though that. Now get paper and pencil and get to drawing.
>>
File: myprogress.jpg (101 KB, 585x1119) Image search: [Google]
myprogress.jpg
101 KB, 585x1119
>>2446188
Just stay determined OP,
this is my progress, never give up!
>>
>>2446188
Please apply this to everything you've done and realize how much a failure you truly are.
>>
File: 1444549261238.png (663 KB, 550x600) Image search: [Google]
1444549261238.png
663 KB, 550x600
>making a thread to cry about it

not gonna make it
>>
>>2446209
Fuck yeah I am. I'm a coddled little shit with a milkpaste body.
>>
>>2446200
Amazing
>>
>>2446200
lel
>>
>>2446188
Some people don't even make that realization and are stuck with what they have. What gave you the revelation OP? Also how long did it take? Now instead of revelling in mediocrity you can spend that time to git gud.
>>
>>2446200
ebin
>>
>>2446188
Who fucking cares. Keep drawing and you'll be good, stop fucking fucking around you fucking cunt.
>>
>>2446191
Good inspiration story.

Try really hard.
Try even harder.
Get a pro to do your artwork.
>>
>>2446188
>peers
If you want your work to be truly critiqued, then post your work here. I know most d/ic/ks will only say "muh fundamentals" but there will be at least one who will give one insight.

Also
>feels thread
[spoiler]Fuck this shit.[/spoiler]
>>
>Please tell me I'm not alone and this is just one of the rites of passages into gitgud

It is. Noticing you're shit is a big step in not being shit, lots of people never reach this point. Now focus on why you're shit and how to fix it.

The fact that most people are willing to blow smoke up artists' ass bothers me too, though. I know it's just polite to go "that's so good!" but I can never take compliments seriously anymore, because people were saying that to me even when I know my stuff was trash and they were just trying to be nice.
>>
>>2446188
People kept telling me that i was amazing at drawing, but even before, i already knew i wasn't that good. I noticed it was a struggle to me drawing some kind of things like decent architecture or complicated poses; i was good only at fucking faces (kinda) and bodies (sometimes) and that wasn't enough for me. I never had in my head trying to "be the best" i just want to get right what i want to draw. Just because that mentallity of mine some art friends have told me that i was extremely humble and it could be a bad thing for my future as an artist. I don't know what they meant by that, How much are they right and why?
>>
>>2449599
kek
>>
>>2446188
Yeah, definitely not alone. I went through exactly the same story as yours, as posted here >>2440106
Seriously, just coming to the realisation is a massive step in the right direction. Too bad it took me years of sulking before I wanted to start painting again.
But it's really been a huge relief accepting that art requires time and hard work, and I'm not supposed to just magically 'know it'.
>>
I'm 23 and have started drawing now even though I cannot draw shit. I literally am unable to draw something legible but am going to give it a try anyway for as long as possible so I can acquire a new skill. There are people around who are talented with drawing and are able to do it off the bat, but the people who can't draw immediately can still do it if they take the time and effort to learn.
>>
>>2446188
You're not alone, most people go through this. It's actually the first step.

To be a weeb, consider this your transition from kyu to dan.
>>
File: Dunning-Kruger-Effect-300x238.jpg (17 KB, 300x238) Image search: [Google]
Dunning-Kruger-Effect-300x238.jpg
17 KB, 300x238
>>2446188
It's OK anon, you'll be OK.
>>
I've been drawing for 4 years, literally had the same thing happen to me about 2 days ago. Had an adrenaline rush and decided I needed all the hateful crushing comments I could get. Usually this would destroy me and I'd continue procrastinating, but for some reason it pushed me to actually do more studies and spend more time on fundamentals.

Now i gota big wennie, u can hav one too OP
>>
>>2446188
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
>>
>>2449667
>>2449612
>>2449792
It's one of the vital rites of passage for anybody who calls themselves a craftsman (craftswoman): realizing that the opinion of those around you are useless, thus leading into the notion that you are in a sense totally alone in the universe. You get sad about it, drink, shoot some heroin, play too much video games, drop out of college, whatever. You hit a low, and then you work back up, just this time with perspective.

Hell is not punishment for doing something wrong, but a test to see if you deserve something better.
>>
File: the keurig-dunmer.jpg (109 KB, 1682x1130) Image search: [Google]
the keurig-dunmer.jpg
109 KB, 1682x1130
>>2450553
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.