[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /ic/ feel about hiding awful anatomy mistakes with good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
How does /ic/ feel about hiding awful anatomy mistakes with good coloring / shading?
>>
>>2444495
shading has nothing to do with it. pic rel has hidden forearm behind a fucking leg how does shading mean anything here.
>>
File: jinxwhat.jpg (451 KB, 794x989) Image search: [Google]
jinxwhat.jpg
451 KB, 794x989
wtf
>>
>>2444495
dat ayy lmao arm
>>
>>2444495
her hand looks literally broken
>yfw its the loose cannon.
>>
Dunning–Kruger thread 101
>>
You can get away with simple coloring if the drawing is good but no amount of good coloring is going to hide a bad drawing. I'd say that the better the coloring is the more depressing the final result, cus you know hours have gone into a painting that was never going to look good
>>
>how does /ic/ feel about hiding mistakes
if you can't do it then its okay to hide it.
That's not to say you shouldn't work on it, but everyone has weak points and if its going to be a huge flaw in a drawing you're doing for pay, then sure go ahead and hide it. Just make sure to practice it on your own time so its not a weak point anymore.

No drawing is perfect, but if it looks good then its good. Focusing on 1 aspect of a drawing and thinking it means everything is a horrible way to view art.
For some reason /ic/ is really stuck up about anatomy, but anatomy is a very small portion of what makes a good drawing look good.
>>
File: true-colors-of-greek-statues-4.jpg (89 KB, 630x526) Image search: [Google]
true-colors-of-greek-statues-4.jpg
89 KB, 630x526
>>2444495
literally better than hiding good anatomy with awful coloring kek
>>
>>2444495
Her left leg is fucked too.
>>
File: 1458078903838.jpg (46 KB, 472x620) Image search: [Google]
1458078903838.jpg
46 KB, 472x620
the shark doesnt have flippers
>>
>>2444853
Maximus Kekus
>>
>>2444495
You're right, you shouldn't draw at all until you can draw perfectly on your first try.
Now leave and don't return until you're perfect.
>>
What books do I need to read/what do I need to do to learn to shade/color so well as a beginner?
>>
>>2444495
I like it. And I'm a seasoned drawfaggit.
>>
>>2446411
Post your work
>>
>>2446205

not what he's saying. You shouldn't be spending a ton of time rendering shit if your drawing is piss poor.
>>
You shouldn't have to hide your mistakes. Make sure your anatomy, proportions, and perspective is on point before you do any line work, values, etc. No excuses.

If you're working in ink or something else permanent to start don't expect it to be a finished work and treat it as a sketch as you should. How do you fix a mistake on a sketch? Tear it up and start over, white out, scan and fix digitally, sticky notes, etc.

If you keep the mistakes you obviously don't know how to fix it or are extremely lazy, either way you suck. Maybe learn to draw. No amount of rendering is going to make your art better once you've fucked it up at the foundation.
>>
>>2446470
Rendering and coloring is a skill in itself that should be polished just as much as anatomy.
If we all had to have perfect anatomy before we did anything there'd be no good artists.

I swear you anatomy fags are the worst.
>>
>>2446470
But then you never finish anything, and I'm pretty sure it's more usefull being productive then endlessly trying to perfect a drawing until you consider it good enough.
>>
>>2446470

"Don't polish a turd" is a fallacy because it assumes you'll inherently know when a drawing has gone "wrong" and throw it away. It's dumb for a lot of reasons, like how if you're a beginning artist you very well could not have any idea what's bad or good at a certain stage in a drawing. It's also stupid like how >>2449763 said where if you just give up at the first speed bump you'll never finish anything.

If you fuck up in drawing something simple like a box or a circle, then you're done relatively quickly so who cares about chucking a bad one, but if you're constantly stopping your drawings at stage 1 just because you think you've fucked up you'll never get over the hump of getting your bad drawings out of your system to get to your good ones.
>>
>>2444495
too many young architecture students do that shit, and they get away with it.
>>
>>2449895
Thank you, I'm so sick of how is easy is to throw that phrase around hère, I would have scrapped at least half my works if I had listened to that "advice".

Drawing and painting are in a way problem solving processes, if you frequently give up you are missing several important learning scenarios
>>
>>2450420
>implying you ever learn from your mistakes
>still not understanding that if you had scrapped them, you'd likely be in a better place right now
>>
>>2449895
>"Don't polish a turd" is a fallacy because it assumes you'll inherently know when a drawing has gone "wrong" and throw it away.
Maybe I just interpret the phrase differently, but I've always seen it as "don't try to slap on color, textures, and render everything out when a base step is flawed". It assumes that either you have a suspicion that something is wrong with it, or others outright tell you that something is wrong with it.

In it's most practical sense, the phrase means to start over and re-do something correctly if you now know it's wrong/bad, instead of rendering away and hoping that surface polish will make the problem magically disappear.

Someone telling you not to polish a turd can be valid feedback if you were unaware of the base issues. Nobody expects you to magically know when and where something important goes wrong, but it is something you should develop a sense for over time. Once you reach a stage in a painting where something feels off, the solution isn't to slap on more detail and hope that feeling goes away on its own.

>>2450420
As for you, I still firmly believe that you've done too much polishing of flawed drawings, especially early on. I'm sure you've recognized it too when you'd reach the stage that you polished a portrait, but the underlying drawing is still flawed so you resort to a ton of lassoing to fix something late into a painting that could have been an easier fix in the early drawing stage.

In theory, a lot of your rendering time could have been spent churning out 10 times as many drawings for faster improvement. I liken it to that analogy about the hypothetical pottery class where half is graded on making one perfect pot, and the other half graded on the sheer volume of pots produced.
>>
>>2450446
that thing you just said there was dumb
>>
>>2450452
How so, tripfriend? That abysmal rate of progression speaks for itself.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.