[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I "import" another artists's style features
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1452787918249.png (54 KB, 248x257) Image search: [Google]
1452787918249.png
54 KB, 248x257
How do I "import" another artists's style features into mine? Just copy?
>>
Mediocre artists borrow. Great artists steal.
>>
>>2444144
I'm using the word artist here but I'm really just a guy who draws for a hobby
>>
>>2444146
Trace until it becomes natural.

This is the best advice for copying a style wether you're an amateur who doesn't know shit or you're Loomis himself. Having a solid grasp of anatomy is not enough, you need to understand the artist's design process and adapt your hand to his construction method. Fastest way to do this? Trace.
>>
>>2444140
Copying is never a good idea, fucking study it, Look at it and think.
Not Rocket science but it does require some effort. Why does it look the way it does? What are the aspects I want?
>>
>>2444297
Whatever you do, don't do this.
It's horrible advice.
>>
Learn the fundamentals so you can spot the exact ways in which an artist deviates from vanilla realism.

It's never easy to 100% copy another artist's style, because it's usually the sum of too many small and subtle things. Understand, don't copy.
>>
>>2444140
>>2444297
>>2444314
>hey guys, how do I do this
>do this thing OP, it's the single best thing to do
>Whatever you do, don't do this. It's horrible advice.

typical /ic/
>>
>>2444314
not giving your reason or explaining why its horrible advice
:^)
>>
>>2444320
>>2444330

Not even that anon and I feel like responding to bait from a bait-thread, but you don't trace because this way your brain goes full automatic and won't understand what you're drawing (why the artists choose to draw something this way, how does he represent it, etc)
Instead you need to understand why he draws it that way and what he is trying to draw (let's say faces, if you don't understand the face and copy, let's say araki, you won't understand why he adds those lines to the face, as you don't have any real anatomy understanding)

>>2444319
this anon is spot on: Understand, don't copy
>>
Tracing is THE low risk low reward option in the road to gitgud

Lie to yourself all you want, but if you want to understand why an artist does things, tracing is shooting yourself in the foot. Just do a fucking study of their work so you can learn how they think.

Tracing is for the people who spend more time posting on /ic/ than drawing and talk down on everyone because they fancy themselves as 'disciplined' just because they print out naruto and trace over on vellum.
>>
>>2444140
Study their work and understand how or why they made those stylistic choices. Copying is ok to do, just make sure that you're learning something from it.
>>
>>2444319
Typical /ic/ non-answer.
You can learn to stylize with shit fundamentals if your design knowledge is solid, on the other hand you can't stylize worth shit if your fundamentals are solid but you don't know a thing about design.

That's why great stylized art comes from designers and illustrators much more commonly than it comes from naturalists and medical artists.
>>
>>2444340
The problem with this line of thought is that it only helps utter uber noobs.
If you have decent fundamentals or basic design knowledge you don't need to spend hours analizing why shit is drawn the way it is but you still won't be able to draw the same way because you need to adapt your construction method and hand motions to those of the artist you're copying, therefore you trace/ink to understand the physical component of the style.

You people really don't know shit. Blind men trying to communicate with the deaf.
>>
>>2446197
Wrong.

Knowing design won't help you in copying someone else's style, which is what OP asked about.

You will only be able to do that if you know the fundamentals. The actual design work involved is done by the other artist anyway.
>>
>>2444314
I want to agree with you but you provided no detail...
>>
File: image.jpg (134 KB, 466x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134 KB, 466x640
>>2444140
Graph it up.

You'll be graphing up other artists as a beginner, and later you'll be graphing up your own drawings.

Get used to it and enjoy it.
>>
>>2446204
well then you're a big brainy guy
>>
>>2446204
/ic/ doesn't ever get anywhere because you keep doing shit backwards.
Fundamentals are a crutch and an excuse, you think you suck at stylization because "you're not good enough at fundamentals" but you're wrong. You suck at stylization because it's all design and design is a language you don't speak and refuse to learn because it isn't in the holy sticky or the messiah Loomis' book.

You'll never make it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.