[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When picking up art, is it okay to have a set goal in mind aside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2048x2048
When picking up art, is it okay to have a set goal in mind aside from just wanting to get good?

Like, I of course want to one day produce something I'm proud of. But I've picked up art again because I would like to someday produce a graphic novel. I'd this the wrong mindset?
>>
>>2442744
I'd be surprised if anyone could really be driven by the goal of "git gud" alone. I don't even know what you're trying to ask. Do you really think someone is going to tell you wanting to write a graphic novel is a bad mindset?

You only need to be certain about the next step you're going to take. Some idea of what's down the road is helpful too, but you're probably overthinking things.
>>
>>2442748

I guess I'm thinking I need to pass a certain skill level before I should attempt what I want to do, to do it justice. I'm also thinking about the adage in writing that writing for money will never be as rewarding as doing it for the love of storytelling (not that I'm doing this for money).

To this end - can anyone recommend good books on graphic novel composition?
>>
hey, that's a neat drawing
>>
It takes a shit load of time to git gud. By the time you're as gud as you want to git, your taste will likely have shifted completely.

Don't bother putting shit off for a too distant future. If you have an idea that has you excited enough to pursue art, then pursue the idea. Use it as a motivator
"I can't do this scene justice, I should do some research on panelling to make it flow better" = getting better at panelling.
"I can't deal with all these poses, I better do some gestures and studies from various angles to figure it out" = getting better at figures.
"I'm sick of this boring perspective, I should learn how to make it more dynamic" = getting better at perspective.
All of the above = getting better overall and making a better comic.

Having a goal is a good thing, so long as you approach it the right way and don't become paralysed with fear of 'screwing it up.'
Don't hold yourself back with concern of doing your story justice. Just do it. If you fuck it up, there's nothing stopping you from doing it over.
Or, sure, put it off for a while until you're in a more comfortable position if failing at translating what's in your head would be demoralising. Just find what feels good, and observe what actually helps you improve.

But there will never really be an end point where you actually officially git gud. It's an eternal process, and the gudder you git the more gitting gud you realise there is still to go. Like walking up a large hill only to find a gigantic valley still ahead of you that you couldn't see before. (But shit son, you still made it all the way up the hill and got a bitching view for your troubles, gotta take a second to appreciate that before just trudging ahead thinking only of how far you've got left to go).
>>
>When picking up art, is it okay to have a set goal in mind aside from just wanting to get good?

You're not even asking what goals people have aside from just pure improvement. You're asking if it's OKAY to have other goals.

Is this something you really need answered? Are you totally incapable of figuring this out for yourself?
>>
>>2442748
>I'd be surprised if anyone could really be driven by the goal of "git gud" alone
That's pretty much my motivation though. Everything else is a byproduct.
>>
>>2442756
>I guess I'm thinking I need to pass a certain skill level before I should attempt what I want to do, to do it justice

You should come to terms with the fact that your first few attempts at drawing a comic will be shit, no matter how much you exercise the fundamentals.

A lot of people who want to do a comic always have this magnum opus in their mind that they have fleshed out since their teenage years and they get really scared of failure because of all that pressure of fucking up their big story. Instead of starting with something like that as your first ever attempt, do a bunch of short stories. Allow yourself to finish something without any pressure of not doing it justice, fail and learn from it.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.