[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beginner Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 113
File: 1450953404591.jpg (3 MB, 1550x3625) Image search: [Google]
1450953404591.jpg
3 MB, 1550x3625
Because we should not have to make new threads or post in draw threads with our fundamental exercises.
Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, do not give up, make your mom proud.

AVOID asking unrelated questions, There is a question thread for that.

Visit the usual "Art book Thread" to find your desired books.

Do not forget to PLEASE RESIZE and crop your images before uploading them. 1kpx is fine.
Before asking "what should I read/view/study/learn," Read the f*cking sticky, it's there for a reason: >>1579290
There's a new sticky in town! You can see it at https://www.reddit.com/comments/46sb9k/

>Thread study: Try to draw/paint the opening or any other following images.
Feel free to post your original works as well if you're trash.

TRY TO BE MORE ACTIVE AND GIVE PEOPLE SOME FEEDBACK - many studies are left unreplied, which is a bit sad and can be quite demotivating for the people that try their best to improve, but are left directionless.

Old Thread >>2436770
>>
File: 1456153334339.jpg (49 KB, 493x650) Image search: [Google]
1456153334339.jpg
49 KB, 493x650
>>2442730
>>
File: skull_model_02.jpg (75 KB, 627x625) Image search: [Google]
skull_model_02.jpg
75 KB, 627x625
>>2442731
>>
File: 1456264849155.jpg (35 KB, 400x598) Image search: [Google]
1456264849155.jpg
35 KB, 400x598
>>2442732
>>
>>2442733
>>
>>2442730
just bought all Loomis books, as a noob, what is the order to them?
>>
>>2442734
ebook
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8VO-JQCy3HgZ0U3QkVvVm4wREE
>>
File: WP_20160314_22_33_33_Pro.jpg (264 KB, 1632x916) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160314_22_33_33_Pro.jpg
264 KB, 1632x916
help
>>
>>2442753
theres nothing to say, its close but its not accurate. the values are barely off ( more contrast easier to read inbetween) and the bottom lip is a bit too thick but seriously your shoddy photography skills are what actually bother everyone. Complete a full face if you want actual help.
>>
How do you guys simplify the facial features?
I usually sketch some gestures and head position, but when trying to simplify nose, eyes and lips, I get the fucking Nirvana album cover.

I can't get away, unless spending too much time on it.
>>
File: file.png (136 KB, 1141x347) Image search: [Google]
file.png
136 KB, 1141x347
How do I git gud at drawing heads? Right now, I can't even get the foundation right similar to pic related, give or take some detail.

I really want some exercises to grind out, so I can organize my efforts and analyze my progress. I see a lot of resources like Loomis are very good at giving you all the measurements and proportions of a realistic head, but don't really give you any exercises to practice. They just give you information and let you do what you will with it. (or maybe im retarded and not realizing what to do)

I always learn best when I can have "drills", but I don't know if that applies to art. Like for example, when I learned to swim as a kid, they'd give me drills to do X amount of laps with a certain stroke and so on.

I usually find myself wondering what to try and do and what will be effective? I'm not great at learning without a teacher.

I've been drawing what I see without construction for a while when copying things, and I'm struggling really hard when I try to make basic shapes first. The shapes end up being the wrong size or in the wrong place and so on. I want to draw from imagination as well but I don't know what steps to take. My ultimate goal is drawing comics.
>>
>>2442825
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7cDY7YDsg

There is this video from NMA for free. It is 3 hours of some explanation, then some demonstrations and extra. I found this approach way more easier and 'relaxed' than the one from Loomis.
>>
>>2442827

Hey thanks man. I obviously didn't watch it yet, but I skimmed it and it looks pretty good. I'm gonna give it a shot.
>>
File: IMG_2035.jpg (104 KB, 712x950) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2035.jpg
104 KB, 712x950
Someone wanna help me out?

This is so bad it's embarassing, no matter what I do lips always come out a little off. I understand that you need to see lips as full forms and 3D but for some reason something's not sticking with me.
>>
>>2442839
Tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq3aHSuKRyg&index=5&list=PLtG4P3lq8RHHFhiyjXP4UT-yUo7pC13GQ

It is a very short lesson (this video and its next), but I think it can help.
>>
>>2442850
thanks!
>>
File: Untitled.png (66 KB, 375x384) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
66 KB, 375x384
I really felt this guy even though I fucked up almost everything. Haven't drawn in a while but hopefully I can stick to my routine this time.
>>
File: jdd.jpg (116 KB, 896x672) Image search: [Google]
jdd.jpg
116 KB, 896x672
no ref and used a pen, I'm okay with it.
>>
File: mannekiinloomis.png (743 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
mannekiinloomis.png
743 KB, 1000x1000
Studying loomis.
>>
>>2442999
i see some improvement here in the beginner thread
>>
File: IMG_20160315_225915.jpg (1 MB, 1564x1564) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160315_225915.jpg
1 MB, 1564x1564
The one on the left is my most recent attempt, and the one on the right is from two days ago.

I tried making my lines more defined and attempted to add depth, as well as using a grid to properly measure everything. Have I improved?
>>
File: specccc.png (78 KB, 440x660) Image search: [Google]
specccc.png
78 KB, 440x660
Ok coloring isn't for me yet.
I stick with just drawing for now, hows this one?
>>
>>2443055
Your retarded lines make everything look flat as fuck.
>>
>>2442999
MEMORIES
>>
>>2443057
Yes, clothing and hair is the worst for me.
Thats why I tried a more elaborate hairstyle, I still don't understand how that stuff works tho.
>>
File: Problems.jpg (18 KB, 365x363) Image search: [Google]
Problems.jpg
18 KB, 365x363
Shitposters Leave
>>
File: Hips.png (516 KB, 1422x907) Image search: [Google]
Hips.png
516 KB, 1422x907
Been practicing hips, pretty generic poses, the asses are referenced though. Some of them were supposed to be KS fanart. pls bully.

Any good resources on shoulder/ribcage? I always end up attaching them awkwardly together and to the torso.
>>
complete beginner here

my brother gave me an old tablet that's pretty good and medium sized

but should I start with pencil and paper anyway
doing studies seems easier in digital but still I don't know jack shit
>>
File: turd.jpg (411 KB, 954x717) Image search: [Google]
turd.jpg
411 KB, 954x717
how much turd polishing should i do as a beginner.

e.g. pic related i've been working on, i've spent about 4-6 hours on it, and it's trash. Should I keep working on it or just move on? I wanna just move on.
>>
>>2443359
you need to stop working on this and focus on fundamentals you would gotten better spending those 4 - 6 hours studying fundamentals than working on this

read the sticky and come back with some studies senpai
>>
>>2443364
iknewit. Thanks man.
>>
>>2443364

Not the guy you're replying to, but how do I know what to practice?

My autist brain needs a strict regime, I don't understand how to use the books etc that the sticky outlines.
>>
>>2443380
i like to set a goal for myself like "draw a decent portrait from life" and then I just practice that shit for a while until I get bored and set another goal like "draw legs from imagination" and so on and so on.
>>
>>2443380
> strict regime
one way that I do is that I dedicate parts of my sketch pad to drawing specific fundamentals.
example would be I'd spend one page drawing nothing but muscles and anatomy and the next page doing nothing but gestures then the next just being heads

this way you can be strict and flexible in your studies without stressing yourself in specific studies.
>>
File: 135b.png (161 KB, 614x900) Image search: [Google]
135b.png
161 KB, 614x900
>>2442733
I failed to capture her cuteness.
>>
Anyone?
>>2442820
>>
Does the "there is the space of an eye between the eyes" rule apply to the 3/4 view? A lot of times the eyes I make in this angle look too close
>>
File: business guy.jpg (356 KB, 979x1305) Image search: [Google]
business guy.jpg
356 KB, 979x1305
Did a caricature of a european businessman that contacted me about a .com address he wanted to buy from me. I wasn't interested in selling but I sent him this because he was a good sport about it and asked about what I do. Did I do alright or am I going to wake up with a severed horse head in my lap a couple weeks from now?
>>
>>2443546
Is that Bruce Campbell?
>>
How do you determine which drawing tool to stick with? I'm learning to draw with ink and I swear I keep switching between felt tip technical pens to brush pens to nibs to flat out brushes. Hard to tell if I'm making any progress with any of them so early on that I don't know what to stick with.
>>
>>2443464
your improving ..
fix the skin and hair it looks muddy
>>
>>2443546

Looks neat and kinda cartoony but your eyes look jarring compared to the rest of it.

Quality of the scan/photo is also shit.
>>
File: sloth.png (298 KB, 623x831) Image search: [Google]
sloth.png
298 KB, 623x831
So the composition is obviously fucked up with that right eye, but where does this masculine feel come from?
Also, any tutorials on hair, I don't even know where to begin

>>2442850
thanks for this
>>
>>2443697
Pretty much everything contributes to it. The hairstyle, the jaw shape, the thick neck, the cheekbones, the eyebrow shape. This obviously won't apply to every person, but keep in mind what you can do to make someone more feminine.
Round out her facial structure to soften the features, don't accentuate edges as much when rendering shadows. Make the neck thinner and longer, make the eyebrows thinner and curvy rather than straight or sharp, emphasize the eyelashes more.
You don't want to draw individual hairs like that, especially at an early lay-in stage. Build the overall form and try to detail it in a more painterly style, with shapes and value rather than lines. It doesn't need to be detailed, it just has to look right.

You really shouldn't worry about any of that until you get your construction right, though. Ignore the rendering for now and focus on placing and building the features correctly. Go watch the rest of Proko's facial features tutorials.
>>
File: histogram.png (3 KB, 223x148) Image search: [Google]
histogram.png
3 KB, 223x148
Does this mean my drawing is shit?
>>
>>2443055
Lips too low maybe

Lips are at 1/3rd of a distance between nose and chin (starting from the nose)

I also would draw more lightly and do shading, just doing lines feels like it's inefficient
>>
>>2443816
It means that most of the values on your canvas are in the lower middle range.
>>
File: Render Practice.jpg (126 KB, 993x1496) Image search: [Google]
Render Practice.jpg
126 KB, 993x1496
From last thread's ref.

Grinding out a lot of practices since I'm getting back into things.

Still a work-in-progress, just gotta polish it up. I'd say I got about 3 hours left on it. How's it look so far?
>>
2nd day with this Loomis thing. These heads are pretty fun to draw, but I prefer doing my own to replicating his.
>>
>>2443515
How would you draw three spheres side by side, tilted in perspective? Also, eyesockets can help guide you.
>>
still struggling with symbol drawing a bit... but much better than previous attempts. 1st week.
>>
>>2444262
youre exagarating the feature you care about (nose, mouth ears too big)

Also what i like to call show less know more. If you show less of the crease in the upper lip, it shows us you know more.
>>
File: FullSizeRender (1).jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Doing a leyendecker study. Is there any glaring anatomy errors that I can correct before I start rendering?
>>
>>2443841
Some of those features look ridiculous. You need to look at some photos of actual humans to fix this. Immediately I notice the serratus, abs and those creases are fucked up.

>>2444262
Those eyebrows are very masculine. Make them lighter and maybe higher. That nose has a few problems: the bottom shouldn't be outlined like that; the nostrils should have a projection at the back instead of being aligned with the face; the planes of it make it too much like a cylinder instead of a nose. Go watch Proko's videos on drawing noses. Fix the philtrum too.

Also you have a pattern here of making features that are higher longer than features that are lower, e.g. that mouth region is very short compared to the nose region. When you make this error you should err on the side of making lower features longer (not just on face, but neck compared to head, legs to torso, etc.); it looks much better, even on women.
>>
>>2444346

>>2443697
This is a better example of what I'm talking about with the features being too long at the top and short at the bottom.
>>
>>2444346

Just because you're a fatty mcfat doesn't mean everyone else is. You can look up the pic in the previous thread. The guy is extremely dry and the guy probably dehydrated hinself before this pic was taken,sure. But this is what body builders do, no fault of the anon drawing it.
>>
File: mulii figure practice 13.png (69 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
mulii figure practice 13.png
69 KB, 500x500
ive been grinding anatomy a lot lately. pic related is all pretty solid when i overlay the ref and check. but i noticed i usually have minor mistakes like a leg being too short/long by a half a head length or an arm held over the head will be at a slightly different angle, etc. how fucking accurate do i need to be when copying a ref? drawing accurately to the point that its literally a 'trace' seems unrealistic
>>
>>2444392
chicken scratching.
>>
>>2444393
>>2444392

i know i am working on it but what about my question?

also i should mention it takes about 10-15 min to do each figure
>>
>>2444392
You're not going to go anywhere drawing from reference if all you're doing is eye tracing, nothing you do like this can be applied to imagination because you're building from the outside in. You have to understand the form and gesture (building from the inside out), and it's clear that you don't.
>>
>>2444362
Anon is right about the serratus muscles though
>>
File: figureimagination4.png (1 MB, 1560x1745) Image search: [Google]
figureimagination4.png
1 MB, 1560x1745
>>2444397
siiiiigh. look, im using construction, i use the robo bean to construct the ribcage and hips and i have a good grasp on anatomy in terms of proportions, bone structure insertions and such. i delete all the construction lines because i like how the outline looks so thats why the finished outline looks like.... an outline.

if i must, ill post fully painted figures from ref AND imagination. figure is something i neglect so im going back to basic but it just seems like its a useless standard to obtain.

pic related is from imagination no reference. its not the best i know but it shows i have at least a decent understanding of figure
>>
File: morefigures1.png (387 KB, 690x870) Image search: [Google]
morefigures1.png
387 KB, 690x870
>>2444403
and something from reference
>>
>>2444403
>it shows i have at least a decent understanding of figure
It really doesn't, you polished a turd. If all that's left after your construction is something that flawed, that gives no impression of form, you fucked up.
>>
>>2444406
>you polished a turd
>that gives no impression of form

do you even read what you write? form is defined by lines, values, hues, and saturation. 'polishing turds (in the context of painting)' is literally putting so many values and colors into a form thats POORLY CONSTRUCTED thats its still a bad piece despite having a lot of work put into details like rendering

you can't "polish a turd" and "give no impression of form" at the same time.

that pic is clearly a figure, with a clearly defined pose, sure the perspective and anatomy is off (like i said i didnt claim that it was perfect) but a lot of the important proportions are there (elbows line up with navel, hips one head size tall, ribcage 1.5 head sizes, etc)
>>
File: 138b.png (159 KB, 654x900) Image search: [Google]
138b.png
159 KB, 654x900
>>2442731
>>2443672
If you mean the lack of clear & well-defined edges by "muddy" - does today's speedpaint look better? I tried being conscious about leaving enough edges.
>>
>>2444409
>you can't "polish a turd" and "give no impression of form" at the same time.
ok kid
>>
>>2444409
Sorry, let separate the two statements that you think are contradictory. The turd polish refers to that example of a figure from imagination, and the impression of form is an issue in your drawings. If the lines don't serve to display form, they're completely useless, there's no overlap, there's no sense of space, it's just contours and contours only go so far without weight and overlaps and anything else to provide depth.
>>
>>2444413
youre kidding right? even if that rant was bullshit to say the pic "has no form" is completely fucking bullshit. theres far to many hues and values to show something thats clearly intended to be a figure. jesus fuck

anyone want to answer this?
>how fucking accurate do i need to be when copying a ref?
>>
File: Potrait.jpg (280 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Potrait.jpg
280 KB, 1920x1200
critique
>>
>>2444414
there's no lines. its a painting that uses values, hues, saturation to define the objects. obviously all that you said applies to my outlines here >>2444392

but to say something like >>2444403
"gives no impression of form" is full retard. polished turd is appropriate sure but "has no form " no, just, no

the stereotypes of this place really are true. super fucking friendly until you hit a certain point then certain anons will use any fucking bullshit indirect moot arguments to try to tear you apart
>>
>>2444419
>until you hit a certain point
Do you really think you're worth tearing apart? You aren't Kyle or tehmeh or teal. You're some shitty dunning kruger kid who wants a friendly environment from a place meant to offer harsh, accurate critique.
>>
How long does it take drawing heads with Loomis before it starts feeling natural?
>>
>>2444416
>>how fucking accurate do i need to be when copying a ref?
What do you want to learn from copying the reference?
>>
File: 1457656071145.jpg (94 KB, 867x1193) Image search: [Google]
1457656071145.jpg
94 KB, 867x1193
>>2444418
Resize your fucking images.
Also, work on your lines: these are scratchy, weak and all over the place. You want stronger, darker lines at some points and lighter ones at others, but most of all, you want to erase all the unnecessary clutter (or never draw them to begin with).
>>
>>2444422
the wise vilppu once said "we arent copying, we're analyzing" so im looking for measuring proportions, examples of foreshortening, understanding perspective, and simply trying to get faster at drawing (it seems like its better to spend 10 min drawing a figure than it would to take 20 min with the same amount of accuracy right? which brings me to my original question, just how much accuracy is really practical)

i noticed i struggle with figure in the standing position so i need to practice that as well

>>2444420
>shitty dunning kruger
ill admit my faults but that other went straight to resorting to fucking with semantics to make his point (the point of my painting not "giving any impression of fucking form" or whatever he said) instead of actual criticism
>>
>>2444431
Proportions, foreshortening and speed seem like things that you could gain from gesture drawing (aside from gesture itself, that's good too) more than anything else. Contour accuracy probably shouldn't be a priority, and you should instead invest accuracy into proportions and foreshortening like you said. It's less about how accurate, more about "Accurate how?" I guess.
>>
>>2444436
that sounds reasonable i never thought of using gesture that way. thanks for the straight forward advice that use definitions properly (unlike the advice others here give).
>>
>>2444441
I'm actually the same dick who's been yelling at you the whole thread, to bring things in perspective.
>>
File: 2016-03-16 19.59.27.jpg (35 KB, 724x425) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-16 19.59.27.jpg
35 KB, 724x425
40 minutes study
Yes it's unfinished
>>
File: speccccc.png (66 KB, 405x550) Image search: [Google]
speccccc.png
66 KB, 405x550
Trying more hair stuff, also the eyes of the last one seemed kinda flat so I'm working on that too.
>>2443822
I use a rather hard Brush to force myself to avoid chickenscratching, I can't find a decent brush that I can use for all the lines.
My shading is terrible since I haven't learned much about that yet, for now I try to get the lineart right.
>>
>>2444398
>>2444362
>>2444346

Guy who drew it here. It's just a value study, and you're right, the serrates are flat, but that's cause its unfinished.

At this point I've gone as far as I'm willing to, so I'll post the finished version when I get home.
>>
>>2444411
Don't speedpaint. Take your time. Beginners should never be speedpainting.
>>
File: Render Practice.jpg (127 KB, 1004x1496) Image search: [Google]
Render Practice.jpg
127 KB, 1004x1496
>>2444492
Actually, just got a connection.

Here it is.
>>
File: sgs.jpg (200 KB, 896x672) Image search: [Google]
sgs.jpg
200 KB, 896x672
>>2442955
Okay, so I just started this thing where I draw a random form and try to "shape" it. I saw something similar in a youtube vid once. Does this count as fundamentals? I'm gonna continue doing it anyway, cause it really helps me understand how to feel and define the shape in 3d.
>>
>>2444493
Thing is, I want to fit in more things in my day than just one value study. I want to get faster at identifying values and forms, and as such, an one-hour limit for these kinds of works is something I think works for me: with enough of this kind of practice, I'm hoping to get better at retaining some forms and detail into the canvas.
Are you really of the opinion that these kinds of exercises won't be of any help?
>>
File: Potrait.jpg (376 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Potrait.jpg
376 KB, 1920x1200
>>2444425
thanx

I colored him
>>
>>2444513
Yet you didn't resize the image into a smaller one.
Fuck off.
>>
>>2444502
download the vilppu drawing method pdf, this is basically what he teaches
>>
File: IMG_2038.jpg (114 KB, 712x950) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2038.jpg
114 KB, 712x950
Someone please tell me the errors in construction or anything else wrong with this shit.
>>
>>2444510
They'll definitely help, but you'll also build bad habitz. Painting takes time, a loooong time. You need to grind out those hours doing full renders to fully assimilate and understand things. A solid render should take you between 10 and 20 hours. And you should take PRIDE in the number of hours you put into your work.

Speedpainting is only effective practice if you're already really good at rendering. It looks impressive to nonartists, but when an amateur tries it, it looks terrible.

The speed drills you should be doing right now should be with figures and gestures. Quick sketches of things around you, people, etc.... not paintings.

The thing people seems to misunderstand about art these days is that this shit takes time, and lots of it. Good paintings take hundreds and hundreds of hours. The only way you'll ever get good at speedpainting and the like is not by doing SP, but by grinding out dozens upon dozens of full paintings, and assimilating the knowledge acquired from that.

This is why people say you should be painting/drawing between 6-12 hours a day if you wanna get good. Because with that kind of schedule you can do a full painting in about 2 days, and still have time to do other stuff.

But yeah man, take your time. This ain't a race, it's a marathon. You're in this for life. Learn to appreciate the slow process.
>>
>>2444518
thanks, man. turns out I had it on my laptop already AND i read it last summer, but I wasn't drawing myself, then. The quote from Hokusai at the beginning stuck with me tho and now I want a book on Hokusai, any recommendations on which one? there's alot of them. Might just get the "drawings of Hokusai", where the quote was taken from.
>>
>>2444525
Block in the features.
Rather than drawing the eyes, draw the shapes of the eyes using only lines.

Rather than drawing the nose, use a box to help determined the nose.

Rather than drawing the lips, draw a W and and M underneath the line of the lip.

Shape it out, don't worry about features yet.
Features are really easy to do. But if the construction isn't there yet, then your features will always look like a mess.
>>
File: fh.png (989 KB, 1296x879) Image search: [Google]
fh.png
989 KB, 1296x879
>>2444525
I'm still trying to figure this stuff out myself and haven't made many redlines at all - sorry about my fuckups.
Anyway, I think the big problem here is how you're not giving the forehead the importance it needs. Your head shapes are sloped instead of anything defined, and you need to pay more attention into the the shapes & distances between features. Think of the head like a 3D model, and focus on the PLANES of the face for now. The proportions on your heads aren't looking right, and the faces push forward unnaturally.
Female chins should also generally be more round and petite - watch out when giving high definition to their jaws.
>>2444533
This is good advice.
Every feature can be sculpted into planes and shapes. Draw the mass, not the line. There's no line in the real world.
>>
>>2444527
I'm aware. I'm currently drawing a minimum of 6 hours every day. I don't think I'm ready for full, finished renders due to lack of knowledge yet, which is why I'm trying to learn to be more precise and more efficient when mixing references and imaginative work.
I disagree with you on the idea that speedpaintings don't help, as I believe that they do teach you to be more critical in what features you need to convey and how, how fast, to get through the idea you want to.
It's a lifelong process to learn, but I feel that you can still strive for efficiency. Polishing something for over +9 hours currently feels wasteful, as I feel that my learning stops at that point and turns into mindless smoothing and reshaping.
Consciousness is key, and speedpainting feels crucial in learning to keep that up for the full duration of painting something.
>>
>>2444544
Speedpainting helps, yes.

But it doesn't help beginners, it hinders them actually. And seeing your painting, I'd say you're more than ready to try a full render.

In the end, you're just copying, so it's easier than it looks. And you'll be surprised at how much you can actually do.

Trust me, try it.

Tackle a full render of the image in the OP or last OP, and see how you do. The knowledge you're missing in your current work, you'll only gain and assimilate by trying to do a full render.

Trust me on this man. Don't e en take my word on it, just give it your best shot and see where it goes. You're not as bad as you think you are.
>>
File: female oc.png (632 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
female oc.png
632 KB, 1200x1200
>>2444514
resized this one

How's this one?
>>
>>2444551
Not him.

Reminds me of Disney.

Fix the nose though, her bridge is too wide and flat.
>>
>>2444545
A-alright- I'll give a full render a shot today or tomorrow.
Would it be more useful trying to do a full master copy, or one of a picture? I'm worried of wasting time trying to pursue a photorealistic finish. I want to learn, not to just copy.
>>
>>2444514
Why is that a bad thing?
If anything a bigger image is better here, you can see all t he dirty lies
>>
>>2444562
Photograph. Learn from life. Go as far as you can, just remember general to detail.
>>
>>2444551
absolutely love this. thumbnail looks kinda shitty though
>>
How do I get away from focusing strictly on the head and figure? I'm grinding my tools but not building anything interesting with them or around them.
>>
File: 1367964798173.jpg (50 KB, 216x377) Image search: [Google]
1367964798173.jpg
50 KB, 216x377
I can't nail proportions

I know there's an abc for this shit but I can't learn it
>>
>>2444652

Draw animals, landscapes, nature, buildings, cars, etc.
>>
File: 03.png (1 MB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
03.png
1 MB, 1920x1040
>>2444652
Start planning your drawings as overall compositions. Make little thumbnails thinking about the environment, the lighting, and what your figures are doing in that environment.

Also consider doing environment studies, outdoor/indoor etc. without any figures so you can get the hang of composing and rendering spaces.
>>
>>2444689
Also when you're watching a movie or a show, try to pay attention to how the composition for the scene is set up. If you see something really eyecatching, pause and make a quick sketch or screenshot it. The characters are there with purpose, a good filmmaker will ensure that the shot (angle, location, lighting, etc) communicates that and that's something you can learn from.
>>
File: z1134.png (6 KB, 867x542) Image search: [Google]
z1134.png
6 KB, 867x542
>>
>>2444685
It's all about how the size of things relative to other things. is it just a matter of you not understanding what the proportions of the human anatomy are, or are you just having trouble translating it to paper?
>>
File: Design.png (1018 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Design.png
1018 KB, 1920x1200
>>
>>2444703
Eww.

You will never make it.
>>
>>2444706
Thank you.
>>
>>2444703
Someone put a red beanie on that faggot asap, that's A+ pedo stache.
>>
>>2444044
good lines, keep it up, loomis prefers the same thing
>>
>>2444392
you should first focus on fundamentals before you grind anatomy, you need to have a good grasp on basic shapes before you can implement anatomy in your drawings. although I think you meant that you were grinding porportions..
>>
what are these pose things called and how can i learn to do them? i want to be able to draw one of these for whatever pose i see a person in - should i just practice that over and over?
>>
>>2444726
filename
Check out Finch's Dynamic Figure Drawing video lecture if you want to mimic something along those lines specifically though, shit's cash, decent advice in there.
>>
>>2444732
well that's embarrassing. ty man
>>
>>2444703
that is the face of a man who is willing to rape anything. It unnerves me at the thought he gazes upon the horizons and has a chance to see my hometown
>>
File: quick.png (153 KB, 1000x625) Image search: [Google]
quick.png
153 KB, 1000x625
>>2444708
>>2444738
thanx

did a quick sketch
>>
File: unt.png (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
unt.png
1 MB, 1920x1200
>>2444703
The eyes are misaligned and crooked. have you tried looking at your work flipped?
>>
>>2444756
more crooked and misaligned eyes. They're not even the same shape, look how droopy he left eye is compared to the right.
>>
>>2444762
I know that lol. I prefer it that way. It looks real. No face is symmetrical. Idk what it is but crooked drawing/ and real life lol gives character imo.
>>
>>2444783
But it's not a "flaw within the variations of the human face" it's a literal structural flaw. The eyeball you drew is physically lower than the other one, meaning that his skull is actually crooked, one orbital socket significantly lower than the other. That makes no goddamn sense unless he was born abnormally deformed.

Faces ARE symmetrical. Structurally. Unless they were born deformed or had some serious traumatic injury. If there is variation in structure, it's slight. Most visual variation comes from expression, muscles etc.

Do not hide behind "lol variety in humans" to try to cover up literal structural fuck ups in your work.
>>
>>2444783
>Idk what it is but crooked drawing/ and real life lol gives character imo.

no, yours look like you don't know how to align eyes right.

there's variation, then there's "this looks fucked up." yours is the latter.
>>
>>2444541
blog?
>>
>>2443804
thanks, I appreciate the detailed response
>>
>>2444533
>>2444541
Thanks so much!
>>
File: help please.png (147 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
help please.png
147 KB, 750x750
Can I please get some tips on the neck, I'm pretty sure there's something horribly wrong with it
(crit too if you can spare the time it'd be great)
>>
File: 6j2jYN9.jpg (5 KB, 188x257) Image search: [Google]
6j2jYN9.jpg
5 KB, 188x257
The fold on the neck is usualy pretty deep when its twisted like that.
Also, I know the head is tilted back but the ear is a bit low in my opinion.
Beautiful picture by the way, did you used reference?
>>
>>2445074
meant for >>2445056
>>
File: New Canvas.png (84 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
New Canvas.png
84 KB, 600x450
>>2445074
>>2445076
>Beautiful picture by the way, did you used reference?
Thank you if you really think so.
I used a random squirrel ref cause I have no idea how they look hehe.

Here I double-saved the project so I got an old version

I changed the squirrel because I felt like 100% profile was very boring, or at least it didn't work with the BG I made

You can see the old ear placement here (damn insecurity got the best of me, but thanks for the tip!)
>>
File: 1458052345878.png (667 KB, 1422x907) Image search: [Google]
1458052345878.png
667 KB, 1422x907
>>2443117
u really just have no fuckin idea what you're drawing, like look at some of these lines i went over with in paint.

if you'd like to invent, and not just fail at copying, study constructive anatomy
>>
Is it better to focus on one thing only? For example if I want to draw landscapes, should I just ignore everything else (anatomy, still lifes, gestures) and just draw landscapes?
>>
File: hdj.jpg (133 KB, 896x672) Image search: [Google]
hdj.jpg
133 KB, 896x672
>>2444502
more
>>
>>2445153
no, you have to maintain or your skill will decay
>>
File: looomis.jpg (182 KB, 1080x1845) Image search: [Google]
looomis.jpg
182 KB, 1080x1845
Do I have the spark
>>
>>2445253
Also is it weird that the only characters I can make are morbidly obese ones
>>
File: loomis likes fat fucks.jpg (124 KB, 1080x1029) Image search: [Google]
loomis likes fat fucks.jpg
124 KB, 1080x1029
>>2445276
Still enjoying myself immensely. Beats photostudying any day
>>
>>2444783
>deflecting my mistakes: the post

you disgust me

here's your (You)
>>
>>2445276

Try checking out Preston Blair's animation book. Look at stuff like bigger eyes and cranium for cuter and younger characters.
>>
>>2445335
hey thanks, that was a pretty easy find.
>>
File: study1 - 16 march 16.jpg (421 KB, 2981x2348) Image search: [Google]
study1 - 16 march 16.jpg
421 KB, 2981x2348
Things I notice: Face needs overhauled, the model's is tilted down, didn't capture that well at all, and the features. Oh man the features.

Made the torso swing out too much, rib cage is too small? The rib cage looks weird to me. Chest region is... something else, model actually has hair, etc.

Shading / tone are difficult for me to grasp. I know what I see, but have a very difficult time bringing the subtleties into my work.

Anything else besides, you know, it's shit?
>>
Recommendations for subjects? Everything I see around me is either just a rectangle or some variation on circular.
>>
File: IMG_0219.jpg (120 KB, 1101x528) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0219.jpg
120 KB, 1101x528
mistakes I found off the bat
but I guess I can try again tomorrow...
>>
>>2445374

Horsecocks

You asked.
>>
>>2445378
the point of the exercise is to get you to realize how it feels to draw what you see, not what you know
>>
File: sad gambling man.jpg (17 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
sad gambling man.jpg
17 KB, 480x270
>>2445385
I sstilll don't get iiiiiitttttt

I basically looked at the reference and copied by line angle/size
>>
If an hour of practice causes moderate shoulder pain the next day, does that mean I'm doing something wrong or is that normal when starting out? If it's the latter, how many years can I expect my body to need in order to get used to it?
>>
>>2445392
there's nothing to get. it's just an exercise to differentiate between symbol drawing and actual drawing
>>
>>2445396
so is it more of a thing that you have to keep doing or something else
>>
>>2445367
There are some misinterpretations from your part
I notice the right leg
You put the thigh in core shadow (it's barely darker), yet you don't put the foreleg's front in shadow, which has visibly a stronger shadow, same with the foot

The overall values of the forelegs are darker, you kept using your shadow mapping as if everything has the same value level

In reality, you need darker shadows for the legs and arms because of occlusion, and the "base color" becomes your old shadow color

Think of chunks before you go into detailing each individual part/zone

The light comes from top left, so obviously the forelegs will be darkest if they are angled against the light source, they cannot have the same luminosity as the thighs/torso

(the toes because not only do they arch forward, capturing more light in their surface, but they also are closer to a floor that reflects light, same goes for the wall, though it's not visible in this picture)

Break down the object in simpler segments that will have an overall consistency to light. In this case, you can divide the torso+thighs; forelegs+feet; and arms+head as 3 groups. Treat these 3 groups as 3 different shadow studies like the one you did, where you change your base color for each of those chunks.

As for the figure, Nice lines and construction, I see you exaggerated in some good parts, however the balance won't allow her to stand still, it's a different balance than the ref, I think a simple fix is to push her left foot to the right, keeping it behind the other leg

I also have a hard time figuring out your planes of the breast and upper abs, you have one abs line that's flipped - since you moved her torso you also need to move the planes, you cannot copy those from the pic as is

your abs shadows are also almost completely missing/wrong, it's like you skipped on that part when you saw you fucked it up
>>
>>2445401

Roger that. Thank you for the crit / observations.

On the abs; I couldn't make them out too well in the photo, so I guesstimated. I had the pelvis down sorta and just winged it to connect to the rib cage. When I did plumb lines for the navel and such, i saw I fucked up.

For shading, I use paint tool Sai. In that picture I was lazy and used 2 layers and just multiplied with a darker tone. Should I be aiming at 'painting' in grey scale, or should I focus more on solid construction via line?

Thanks again for your time and critique.
>>
>>2445423
You can do what you have done but do it correctly, keep it simple with a maximum of like 4 tones total of grey

If you use 1 tone for any core shadow in a 3d scene, you are not gonna learn shading at all

What my post told you is essentially the difference between newbie/low production animation shading and having an understanding of how light works in a 3d scene

If you have to use one tone of shadow only, don't bother, go crosshatching or do more construction, it's not gonna do anything for ya

Light travels in space, x,y,z - cartoonish shading implies that light has infinite depth or foregoes one coordinate in space.
Your exercise you're attempting to do will show you how a surface will be affected by light, depending on BOTH distance from the source, and angle the light hits the surface (plus reflected light of the close things.. plus every material reflects light in a different manner.. plus light being blocked by another object directly, aka cast shadow)

Since there are several elements at work here, you need to make it more complex to understand it, I'm afraid there's no way around it
>>
>>2445378
So I decided to try drawing again to fill the empty void in my life

dusted off my tablet and by chance did this exercise again for the nostalgia factor before I went to /ic/

lo and behold, what do I see in this thread

have mine, it's much worse
>>
>>2445401
>>2445423
>>2445458
If you're doing tone study, start with a middle canvas and work in lighter & darker areas with some kind of blurrable tool. Physical media I'd go charcoal and/or conte. Digitally, try a round brush with 100% opacity difference and 50% radius difference on pressure; to blend, constantly re-sample with the eyedrop tool. Try to avoid sketching lines first and instead look at areas of tone.
>>
>>2445464
I know it's not relevant to this exercise specifically, but have some sensibility settings up for your tablet, get used to feeling the tip like the little dirty slut you are
>>
File: WP_20160316_21_58_44_Pro.jpg (567 KB, 1632x916) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160316_21_58_44_Pro.jpg
567 KB, 1632x916
what area of this drawing needs the most improvement?
>>
>>2445477
Pose/gesture. Reminds me of Q Hayashida tho.
>>
>>2445477
Line weight
Navigating your drawing is painful
>>
How do you guys simplify the facial features?
I usually sketch some gestures and head position, but when trying to simplify nose, eyes and lips, I get the fucking Nirvana album cover.

I can't get away, unless spending too much time on it.
>>
>>2445399
Think about it this way, the reason they made you draw an upside down drawing is to bar you from thinking in 'drawing hand now' and then 'drawing collar now' to 'drawing glasses'

You get more intimate with the line itself. It's like philosophy. There's the line, but then there is everything the line can represent. Yes I am pulling this out of my ass.
>>
>>2445492
for eyes... draw an ovals . Fill it in.
for mouth draw a line. Draw a smaller line parallel to it closely below.
for nose. draw a 90 degree U.
>>
>>2445495
ok I'll try thinking it that way
thanks for helping anon
>>
File: IMG_3202.jpg (252 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3202.jpg
252 KB, 750x1000
train doodles trying to remember what a skull looks like. inb4 back of the cranium is 2 small, ulna/radius mixup and osamas teeth out of perspective
>>
>>2445495
>Think about it this way, the reason they made you draw an upside down drawing is to bar you from thinking in 'drawing hand now' and then 'drawing collar now' to 'drawing glasses'
Not him but when I did the exercise I could clearly and instantly tell what every single thing I was drawing at any moment.
>>
>>2444793
lol faces are not symmetrical, your body isn't symmetrical. Perfect symmetry doesn't exist in nature. lmao

you know I can easily just copy and pasted the eye after drawing one esp with the front view but I chose not too.

I study design and we learnt all this shit. Perfect symmetry is actually not attractive and might step into the uncanny valley.

>>2444797
Well for a 5 minutes sketch, It's decent no?
>>
My sketches are better than my colored things every single time without fail.
Is this normal? What are some common beginner mistakes when it comes to color?

For one, I can say that one of my biggest problems is that I change tone by shifting the value, and never the hue (at least I think I said that correctly.

It's like. I think of color like a child I feel
>trees = brown
>sky = blue
>grass = green
But it's instead a combination of colors, and the colors individually look different when combined, compared to being looked at apart.

What are some exercises to get my brain into thinking of different hues producing visually-similar colors? My brain just stops at this obstacle.
>>
File: 1457972263517.jpg (72 KB, 500x651) Image search: [Google]
1457972263517.jpg
72 KB, 500x651
>>2444793
Also his nose is crooked.

Would you correct him? lol
>>
Im gonna drawing and study 10hrs per every day at library i'm gonna draw only anatomy and human body until i memorize all body parts
so wish me good luck
>>
>>2445528
It isn't you blind dumb piece of shit
His head is only slightly tilted, every feature is tilted like his nose, hence nothing is

You literally just have a shitty drawing eye and are justifying your lack of skill with "IT'S THE NEXT STEP OF REALISM DUH"
>>
>>2445530
You're gonna quit and kill yourself within the first week

Nobody can do serious focused studies 10 hours a day

It's better you just settle for 2-3 hours of efficient and focused practice every day, you'll learn better and be overall faster
>>
>>2444262
I think I'm getting better at eyes at least
>>
>>2445535
lol his left side (face) is slightly smaller.
The nose brigde is crooked.
The left nostril is also higher.

And men grew beard because it makes the face more symmetrical and also help those with weak jaw/chin.

The lighting also help it seems symmetrical but it's not. lighting in photographs esp professional one helps enhance features and hide imperfection.

And he's not tilting anything are you BLIND? and I'm no beginner Honey. I mean digital art yes (that's why I am here). I've been drawing traditionally since I was in the womb. lol I'm an art student lol

Can i see your art?
>>
>>2444703
"age is just a number, baby"
>>
File: Symmetry.jpg (698 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Symmetry.jpg
698 KB, 1200x1200
>>2445525
She looks pretty damn symmetrical to me. You just used a shitty, off-center picture.
>>
File: image.jpg (741 KB, 1936x2534) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
741 KB, 1936x2534
Figured I should post here since I'm not good at art. I've been reading Loomis Fun with Pencil and I'm struggling with his construction. It's alright when I'm copying him but without a faces all turn out real bad. I've been trying to get away from anime style (pic related, my drawing) I understand what he means by constructing shapes onto the face, but at the same time I just can't grasp everything and draw a decent looking face. Or is Vilppu a better starter?

Should I start from the beginning of the book again? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!
>>
>>2445557
For starters human proportions are wrong.
Your limbs are completely asymmetrical, can't you see one of them is half a hand bigger than the other?

You should first start by studying the GENERAL human proportions, and apply a careful symmetrical construction to a figure
It looks like you're just doing a million of random strokes until it kinda looks right
But that's something you only do when you're good, now you need to measure and take your time

Next I'd suggest you study 3d volumes, your feet and hands are like the egyptian art, so flat it needs to be in profile view or it'd be invisible

You then apply said voumes you learned to rotate, into human features to construct the body
>>
>>2445525
First of all, stop using lol and lmao in every goddamn sentence. You sound like a teenage girl, which I actually suspect you are.

>faces are not symmetrical, your body isn't symmetrical. Perfect symmetry doesn't exist in nature.
>I study design and we learnt all this shit. Perfect symmetry is actually not attractive and might step into the uncanny valley.

Bullshit. A slight lack of symmetry in real life does not transfer to art and adds nothing. Breaking up symmetry is usually done through the use of shading and coloring, expression, poses, hair, clothing, composition or by simply not drawing something directly from the front. No one purposely draws lopsided faces, unless they're drawing a character sheet of someone with a physical defect, or they're painting a 1:1 portray of someone directly from the front, which is exceedingly rare.
What the other guy is criticizing is spot on. The guy's face is severely lopsided as a result of your lack of skill, and not because of some conscious decision to draw it like that. It's an extremely common mistake among beginners.
The lopsidedness doesn't even match the 3/4 view. In the right picture, his right eye is too high. In the 3/4 view, his left eye is too high.

Stop making excuses.
>>
>>2445253
>the spark
why is this a icy meme now
>>
>>2445560
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I can see that my proportions are very off (I'm actually really bad at the human figure because it's quite pieced together) I'll spend more time studying the human body! Do you have any books/videos as recommendations?
>>
>>2445525
>Well for a 5 minutes sketch, It's decent no?
Not really man.

Why are you dodging criticism and fishing for compliments? The guy isn't saying everything must be perfectly symmetrical, he's saying your shit is crooked enough to look like a structural flaw in your drawing.
>>
File: 5376479873.jpg (236 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
5376479873.jpg
236 KB, 750x1000
how'd i do ?
>>
>>2445597
Not very good count famula. You studying any construction and head/figure structure boy? Lines are also pretty bad for a second pass.
>>
>>2445545
>Can i see your art?
Holy shit that is literally what every critique-dodger runs to whenever they're confronted. Why are you here if you don't want feedback? If you came here for critique that means you want a fresh pair of eyes to let you know what's wrong because being as close to the work as you are, it's hard to see on your own. But when someone points it out, you hide behind excuses and try to deflect in order to... what, nurse your ego or something? Just listen to feedback and you might actually improve.
>>2445525
>Well for a 5 minutes sketch, It's decent no?
hahahahahaahahaa oh my god. you came to /ic/ hoping people will just pat you on the dick.
>>
>>2445602
inb4 he dismisses what you say because you didnt post your work.

to get ahead of that: this is an anonymous image board, people don't have to prove shit. go to DA or something.
>>
>>2445602
>hahahahahaahahaa oh my god. you came to /ic/ hoping people will just pat you on the dick.

Not only this, but he came to the beginner thread which is honestly a lot more salty and criticism focused than the drawthreads, etc.
>>
>>2445549
I'm not going to respond the comments above.

But do you know what symmetry is? One side of her face is clearly bigger than the other that's why you get two different pics from just her face. A symmetrical face would look exactly identical.

Also follow my instagram account: I post daily sketches I do: instagram/paradiseheartbeat.
>>
File: loomisquestionmark.jpg (125 KB, 1000x1414) Image search: [Google]
loomisquestionmark.jpg
125 KB, 1000x1414
>>2442730
Alright /ic/, select from the following:
Based on performance of this study, the artist needs:
a. Loomis
b. Practice
c. Jesus
d. All of the Above

More seriously, I've been on a manga kick for a long time, so taking studies seriously or even practicing like I ought to has been taking the back seat.

I'm still learning what I can and can't do digitally as well, so any help with that, so far as improving workflow or general tips could be nice.

Otherwise, tear me to shreds /ic/. I need it.
>>
>>2445650
It occurs to me I have the neck tilted up. BRB committing sudoku.
>>
File: uncanneyvalley.png (787 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
uncanneyvalley.png
787 KB, 1920x1200
Is it fixed now?
>>
File: 1458199827551.png (779 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1458199827551.png
779 KB, 1920x1200
>>2445652
work on making basic head shapes with accurate guidelines first, then add the features when you're comfortable with that, sticking religiously to those guidelines.
>>
>>2445652
This sarcasm...in case yall don't know lol

his jaw is also slightly crooked but guess what I don't give a shit. I shouldn't be in this thread to begin with so bye.
>>
>>2445652
also what the fuck is the 3/4 view far nostril doing ? that doesn't happen
>>
>>2445657
this is some tasty dunning kruger.
>>
>>2445655
okay you actually give a valid criticism.

But i'm not going to do anything about it because it's quick sketch I did in 10 minutes just coz I must draw every day. but good for you.
>>
>>2445557
fundamentals before style
>>
>>2445655
youve actually miss-assessed the left one, its about the tilt not the height.
>>
>>2445545
Are you genuinely retarded?
You're an awful artist and every ass backwards theory you come up with is wrong.
>>
>>2445606
That's not a guy. Only women use the term "honey" when they get pissy, and litter their shitty posts with lol and lmao.
>>
Oh for fuck's sake, I know it's off hours, but how the fuck am I supposed to get any advice when 90% of the thread is shitposting?
>>
>>2445689
Blame the dumbfuck tumblrcunt who made her way here and refuses to accept any criticism.
She's Dunning-Kruger incarnate.
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 640x710) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 640x710
>>2445545
> I've been drawing traditionally since I was in the womb.
>>
File: 1410923715095.jpg (25 KB, 400x283) Image search: [Google]
1410923715095.jpg
25 KB, 400x283
>the guy in this thread baiting all these responses

it's like you all want to be triggered
>>
How do I go about learning about the basics of value, shading and light?

Also where can I learn how to get good use out of charcoal? I really suck at using it
>>
File: IMG_2040.jpg (119 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2040.jpg
119 KB, 675x900
I was told to focus on the planes of the face. I get that it's supposed to make me see the face in 3D and not flat, but something isn't sticking with me. Is this just a thing where I keep drawing the planes until each is perfect or is it just used as a reference?
>>
>>2445787
I like how these look.
I will say, I understand where you're coming from cause I felt the exact same way, but how I resolved, I don't recall. I'd say do a few more, than continue forward with your studies. Then, when you re-appear the subject again from a different author, something may click.
>>
>>2445787
I took a magazine and drew all the planes over peoples faces there, it was really helpful for me, maybe you should give that a try
>>
>>2445710
You can't fake that kind of stupidity.
>>
>>2445787
regardless of what you're doing, put my practice into your lines. Look at the top most one, the curved lines that are supposed to be symmetrical are just awful, but keep it up!
>>
>>2445808
put more*
>>
File: headplanes.jpg (439 KB, 796x1000) Image search: [Google]
headplanes.jpg
439 KB, 796x1000
>>2445787
head planes are really usefull once you start to render. But they are a simplification of the skull.

If you want to get better at drawing the head, it would really be useful to get an understanding of the skull first.

If you haven't watched villpu's videos on skull anatomie. It helped me immensely and the panes made much more sense afterwards.
>>
Oi, can anyone post an image/infographic about nose structure and some refs?
>>
>>2445787
This or similar head models are used in the construction stage when drawing. Learning the planes/lines is also useful because it allows you to memorize peoples heads easier because the lines/planes lead you to the important differences. It's more complete than saying how the nose or eye or ear looks in isolation.

The planes/lines themselves are distorted depending on how the head of the individual person is shaped.
>>
File: dui.jpg (112 KB, 896x672) Image search: [Google]
dui.jpg
112 KB, 896x672
>>2445207
>>
File: 2016-03-17 22.46.27.jpg (48 KB, 540x959) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-17 22.46.27.jpg
48 KB, 540x959
Today's study sorry for shit quality and me
I'm gonna finish and fix wrong thing
>>
>everyone is so active when fighting a faggot
>one person at best crits work that is not bait / troll fodder, if that
Let's focus on helping people who want to improve, please
>>
File: 15.png (2 MB, 1856x2000) Image search: [Google]
15.png
2 MB, 1856x2000
Morning warm up.

I've yet to finish keys to drawing, and I can't wait to, because then I get to get some loomis in my life.
>>
>>2445860
shit, i forgot to resize.
Sorry, will remember to next time.
>>
File: 1355437690470.jpg (40 KB, 349x642) Image search: [Google]
1355437690470.jpg
40 KB, 349x642
>>2445710
>>
File: IMG_20160317_073738.jpg (573 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160317_073738.jpg
573 KB, 1944x2592
Is this any good? Would she love me if I gave it to her?
>>
File: nose.jpg (99 KB, 900x1111) Image search: [Google]
nose.jpg
99 KB, 900x1111
>>2445815
it's basically a wedge shape
>>
>>2442738

Fun With Pencil

Heads and Hands

Figure Drawing

others depending what you need to learn
>>
File: IMG_20160317_165751.jpg (137 KB, 880x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160317_165751.jpg
137 KB, 880x960
It's painful to post this but I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here's hoping the file is of decent quality since I'm posting from phone
So far I see that the ear is fucked and too high, the nose is too small and mayne the eyes are too close?
>>
>>2445954

The mouth isn't aligned with the center line properly. It's giving her a duckfaced look.
>>
File: aaaaa.png (434 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
aaaaa.png
434 KB, 800x800
>>2445954
Well, one reason is probably lineweight and hiding less prominent lines/planes, instead giving information with shading or lack thereof (planes)

I'm a beginner myself and struggle with symbol drawing

Drawing a minimalistic face is difficult because you end up doing guidelines that are too hard for what a face actually loooks like

Maybe this is not what you needed help with with that post, but here's my attempt, crit me too
>>
File: 1458130710140.jpg (3 MB, 1963x2547) Image search: [Google]
1458130710140.jpg
3 MB, 1963x2547
How is this for a total, and I mean total, beginner?
>scanning this thread to find new people who are worse then I am to feel satisfied with myself
>fail
dammit
>>
>>2445973
Normal for a beginner.
>>
>>2445984
Nice! Glad to hear that
>>
QUESTION

REGARDING FIGURE DRAWING

> doing sessions both irl and on pixelovely
> starts with 30 secs, getting longer till the poses are at like 20 minutes

i'm always confused at what point i should do gesture drawings vs more "proper" construction leading to a very accurate but less dynamic sketch.

are those just two different approaches with different uses? should every pose, no matter how long, start with a gesture drawing?

it's kinda awkward because i start with those short intervals where i do gesture, then longer ones where i start with a gesture, then realise it's a longer pose and i sorta start to construct stuff over the dynamic, but anatomically somewhat inaccurate gesture.

thanks in advance, artfriends
>>
>>2445973
not bad at all but anyways the sooner you get your ego crushed a little the better. embrace the grind, it's about direction, not where you're at. talent is for faggots
>>
>>2445971
lol at that classic proko eye.
>>2445787
very neat considering your skill level, but the one from above it fucked.
>>
File: Unbenannt.jpg (2 MB, 2944x4384) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.jpg
2 MB, 2944x4384
>>2446012
>talent is for faggots
ikr
dont worry, Im not happy with what Im producing at all :^)
but its still good to know I dont have to pull a drake and start from the bottom to get here
Check out my gay ass loomies
>>
>>2446016
The heck is a proko eye
Much so a classic one
>>
>>2445793
>>2445796
>>2445808
>>2445812
>>2445823
>>2446016

thanks my senpaitachi
>>
When you sign up for New Masters Academy, can you download the videos and keep them? The one thing keeping me from subscribing is that my schedule is always very irregular. Some months I can focus all my time on drawing, others I can't draw at all and I can never really tell what kind of month it will be.

I don't wanna subscribe and have the videos I need get taken away because the subscription ran out and I didn't get enough time to study them yet.
>>
>>2446031
http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/images/draweyes/cornea-push.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6-bCgRmcko
>>
File: toobufftofunction.png (127 KB, 615x800) Image search: [Google]
toobufftofunction.png
127 KB, 615x800
one of today's anatomy studies. i spent way too long on it but i'm pretty happy, even if the hands are clunky.
>>
File: Jasmina color.png (900 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Jasmina color.png
900 KB, 1000x750
Here's this absolute masterpiece finished up, in all of its wonderful professionally-picked-colors beauty

Back to Loomis now
>>
>>2446258
And is there something wrong with that?
>>
>>2446009
anyone who could answer this for me?
>>
File: hdh.jpg (131 KB, 896x672) Image search: [Google]
hdh.jpg
131 KB, 896x672
>>2445832
I don't do drugs.
>>
File: adfa.png (38 KB, 199x472) Image search: [Google]
adfa.png
38 KB, 199x472
Here's a question

Is a decent line art necessary for a good looking piece? I tend to do a quick gesture wireframe and add some loose features, then go straight to painting which is where I solve all the problems that come up. It takes more time but I find it 100 times more enjoyable.
>>
File: hands.jpg (682 KB, 1529x2154) Image search: [Google]
hands.jpg
682 KB, 1529x2154
Reupload with correct rotation and put together, my bad nigs. What do you think? I use a super fat lead holder, a memento from architecture school.

>>2446501
Unless you are going to incorporate line art into the finished product, isn't painting mostly about edge control? I don't see why you'd need near-finish linework.
>>
>>2446501
Depends on a combination of your skill level and complexity of whatever you're drawing / amount of details, I'd say

I mean I can paint a cube without lineart but not complex drapery

You should probably do whatever gives the best result - if you are doing worse by just painting, it means you cannot properly visualize all the planes in your head before-hand, and doing lineart will probably make you better at that issue with time
>>
>>2446508
i think shading is pointless if you're not gonna apply any pressure control / hatch size differences

as a result they just look like dirty hands, not lighting
>>
Anyone have a torso muscle reference guide?
>>
>>2446009
Check out vilppu figure drawing vids. He does exactly what you have problem with/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa_2rL1K1mg
>>
>>2446501
why are you posting in the beg thread?
>>
>>2446547
I'm a beginner to the figure and I was just dipping my toes when it came to fundamentals until recently. I'm here to learn.

>>2446508
I ask because I've heard many times and from different sources that you should solve your problems during the sketching and line art phase to have a foundation for the rest of the process, but whenever I try to get something done like that it lead me to a dead end where I feel I can't develop things further.

>>2446519
I tend to do better when I just paint over a some simple lines, I feel like I have more freedom that way.

thanks for the replies senpais
>>
>>2445866
are you talking about your mom? Yeah, she'd probably hang it on the fridge
>>
i just wanna draw cute furfag shit
>>
>>2446547
>>2446553
took the b8
>>
>>2446520
Here's one I tried to make as a 'seemingly controlled' drawing

Some parts are good and some parts are bad, so in my experience that means I'm lacking something in the fundamentals department.

In any case, it's nice to draw something for the intentional purpose of 'looking good' once in a while. I know it won't fool you guys, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Sideways because iPhones are bad. Fabrics are hard. What else did I do wrong?
>>
>>2446408
what loomis book are you reading? (just curious)
you should work on that face though.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 113

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.