[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about her and her work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
File: images (1).jpg (34 KB, 339x434) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
34 KB, 339x434
What do you think about her and her work?
>>
>>2439942
idk who she is
>>
>>2439942
Her husband was the one with the talent.
She is only recognized for being a woman.
>>
>Ugly unibrow woman with shitty art

Oh wait, she's a feminist icon that was above patriarchal bigoted beauty and hygiene standards.
>>
Frida was an ok artist. Her personality and character in itself was the art imo.
>>
>>2439942
Ella era popo y sus pintúras tambien.
Su esposo era mejor que ella.
>>
File: kahlo31.jpg (97 KB, 750x676) Image search: [Google]
kahlo31.jpg
97 KB, 750x676
>>2439943
oh frida yeah she's cool. who did the hipster paintings?
>>
>>2439947
>Her personality and character in itself was the art
is this satire?
>>
>>2439943
She used to be a mexican painter, her name's Frida Kahlo, she married Diego Rivera, a mexican communist muralist
>>
File: Stockholm Syndrmoe.jpg (200 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Stockholm Syndrmoe.jpg
200 KB, 1000x750
>>2439947
>>
What's /ic/'s opinion on Jose Clemente Orozco
>>
BUILD WALL
>>
>>2439943
this. also i think stupid fucking spics need to stop gloating over her and spicasso and get some new artists
>>
>>2440078
Why China hasn't invaded you already?

>>2439942
It's shit. Literally another T-shirt for faggot hipsters.

>>2439950
Ambos eran mierda. Diego era mierda por ser comunista y Frida era una pseudointelectual sin imaginación que se quería ver profunda porque "muh accident". Literalmente era otro artista de Tumblr.

Where the fuck do they assume she was a feminist? She fucking married a drunk asshole.
>>
>>2440900
>It's shit. Literally another T-shirt for faggot hipsters.

I mean, the OP's picture.
>>
Interesting but not very nice looking.
>>
>>2439942

Jewish pseudo-communist, didn't had imagination
>>
>>2439946
/thread
>>
>>2440900
>Why China hasn't invaded you already?
because complex interdependent economies you retarded spic.
>>
>>2441383
kek
>>
>>2439942
hate the shit of this bitch
>>
>>2439945
>She is only recognized for being a woman.
Amen.
>>
File: trash.png (128 KB, 377x387) Image search: [Google]
trash.png
128 KB, 377x387
>>2439942
>>
>>2439942
I dated a couple of girls in my youth who liked her. They were the sort who though the pinnacle of existence was to be a famous fashion designer and wanted to save the world by going to africa and doing photography. Consequently I can't stand fritta.
>>
>>2439956
Not really, she made a living on a life-long performance piece about moot rebellion and self-flagelation.
>>
I always found her work to be really stiff and overrated. I think she's only praised because she paints self portraits and is unashamed for not being conventionally beautiful (I personally think she shoukd've just plucked her unibrow and draw more than just herself. Seems more like an egomaniac to me)

All in all, overrated.

Funfact: When we learned about Frida in my elementary school it was during one of my school's library days. Once a week we would go to the library and learn about books, usually we'd get to pick out a book to read during class as long as it was related to the theme of the day (art in this case).
When describing some of the books they picked out they showed off some of Frida's paintings in the book.

The librarian legitimately thought that Frida was a man who painted himself as a woman, with male features.
Frida looks like a cisgendered, if again unattractive, female in all photos i've seen.

I got very confused because of this when I learned about her when I got older.
>>
>>2439967
While I get why you're using that, I kinda agree with the other anon in that sometimes an artist's work is appreciated more so because of their story, their personality, etc.
There's an artist coming to my school soon that everyone is psyched about because she's "Done a lot" and she's very "Eccentric." But...None of her art is on any of the posters, just a photo of her. An advisor showed my class a video with her in it from a movie she made but IDK. I thought it was overrated and overblown a bit.

I kinda end up being mysogynistic a lot though because tumblr made me hate women (I am a woman so this isn't great).

Now let me clarify I don't think it's a GOOD thing that an artist be known for who they are rather than what they produce, especially in cases like this (This is why I fucking hate fine arts in all honesty. I appreciate those who create it but i hate the ones who act like the students from art school confidential. I just kind of agree that sometimes people aren't always liked for their art so much as the person they present themselves as.
>>
>>2439942
I saw an exhibition in Toronto a while back, and I was impressed. She was good - not god tier good, but a solid 20th century painter, like, idk, Chagall.

I guess I'd think of her as a colorist, and someone who was best at disturbing imagery in simple and effective compositions. People who want to do horror might benefit from studying her, I think (not fantasy horror, obviously).

Plus, anyone who worked on her level with the constant agony of a crippling back injury plus bad surgery deserves respect. Most people would have given up.
>>
>>2446528
Frida was lovely but purposefully chose to grow out her eyebrows and stache as some odd form of branding. I think she could have done so in a more flattering way.

Its not like plucking/threading was uncommon.

Her imagery and colors are interesting but she's not very consisent, some paintings are great and other are very weak.
>>
File: Queen.jpg (2 MB, 4080x5436) Image search: [Google]
Queen.jpg
2 MB, 4080x5436
Love her.
>>
>>2447874
@ this post and kinda this whole thread

this is so shitty
so much talk about her fucking eyebrows?? the whole point of frieda kahlo is that she said 'fuck traditional beauty standards', she let her unibrow grow and all that shit because she didnt WANT to be appealing and attractive to men. she drew all these self portraits because it isn't her duty to either be attractive or hide her face. she was saying that a woman (or ANY person's!!!) value is not in physical looks, that you shouldn't be ashamed because you don't fit typical beauty standards.
whether you like the aesthetic or not, or think she's skilled or not, dont say 'she shuda shaved her unibrow and tried to be as conventially attractive as was possible. that would really improve her value as a person' lmao
>>
>>2441383
>because they already cucked my country's economy.

FTFY amerifat.
>>
>>2439942
Unskilled hack, famous for being an ugly woman and held up by people who are blinded by their warped political views.

>>2447956
>>2447878
>>2446768
Why are you cunts on 4chan?
Seriously, I don't get it. When did all the obnoxious tumblrcunts decide to come to /ic/? What do you get out of posting on a board that's against everything you stand for?
>>
>>2447967
> one cunt just points out that by critting fridas appearance youre just missing her point
> one cunt says kahlo is 'solid', not that great, but solid
> one cunt just likes her art

ikr suchh obnoxious sjw tumblrcunt hamplanets for thinking a very famous, influential, and highly regarded artist is alright
also, if you can appreciate different kinds of art besides proko and vilppu and all that other shit that looks exactly the same, then a board about artwork and critique is ~against everything you stand for~
ya ok edgemaster69
>>
>>2447967,
>>2447878
was being facetious you retard
>>
>>2448015
Sure you were.

>>2448007
>ikr suchh obnoxious sjw tumblrcunt hamplanets for thinking a very famous, influential, and highly regarded artist is alright
Yes, that's exactly what makes you a tumblrcunt. She's a hack.

>ikr
>~against everything you stand for~
This is what I'm talking about. This diarreah that young teenage girls shit onto the internet.
>>
>>2447956
No cutie boi ever is gonna fuck you tumblrtard hamplanet, same way you'd never give the time of day to an obese manlet no matter how much you bullshit about everyone being beautiful and traditional beauty standards being opressive.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.