[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rate My Beginner Regimen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1456325911136.jpg (746 KB, 840x1227) Image search: [Google]
1456325911136.jpg
746 KB, 840x1227
>Draw A Box
~2-4 weeks
>Keys to Drawing: Bert Dodson
~4 weeks
>Fun with a Pencil: Andrew Loomis
~4 weeks
>New Master's Academy
~4 weeks

Studying 5 hours a day and I should be able get out of the noob stages by then. Any recommendations or improvement on this?
>>
>>2437208

It's good that you're focusing on fundamentals, but don't forget to do the things you like.

Art progression isn't as linear as we often like to think.
>>
>>2437263

sure, but the things I would like to do require a good amount of skill
>>
>>2437208

More Loomis
>>
>>2438574

Don't impose limits on yourself. Waiting until you're good enough is pointless.
>>
>>2437208
Honestly I dont think you will be able to make a single book last for 4 weeks.
>>
>>2437208
>Studying 5 hours a day and I should be able get out of the noob stages by then

by when? 4 weeks? i guess it entirely depends on what you would quantify as noob stage but be realistic. a month isn't going to make a huge difference. in a year's time you'll still in all likelihood be at a beginner level. two years, even.

if you're lucky, by the third year you might start becoming self aware and self critical.

i'd say 5 years from now and you'll probably be a solid artist. not a master by any means, and you won't create art that would be considered brilliant but you'll be at a level where you can be proud of your work without being so pleased that your progress will plateau,

anyways i hope that made sense i hope you don't have any wild dreams of becoming the next moebius in five years
>>
>>2438786
i guess i forgot to actually critique your regimen. drawing boxes is good. drawing basic shapes and being able to rotate them in space is something that needs to be addressed more. it's an invaluable skill to have for people who work in comics or cartoons or do background art. basically anything that's sequential or has backgrounds it benefits.

drawing from observation is also crucial. unless you understand how things work you will never be able to successfully reproduce and go beyond whatever it is you want to draw.
>>
>>2438786
obviously exaggerated but this guy gets it

you get what you put into it so if you intend to get out of the scrub stage that quick you better be up to your eyes in practice
>>
>>2438794

>obviously exaggerated
it really isnt. if you think it is you probably lack the ability to be self critical that i mentioned.

most people who start out go years without learning to be self critical
>>
>>2438786
>>2438791
>>2438794
>>2438800
wow, i can't believe normies like this actually exist. Mind boggling. It's a fucking skill you idiot's, he can be professional level in 1 year if he goes full focus autism on it, will he do 10+hrs a day? a beginner sticking to something he dislikes(because bad drawings at the start) for a couple months is not likely. But not impossible, you retards
>>
>>2438803

I love how people preach its possible in one year but haven't done it themselves.

Before you sperg out again, read the posts you're replying to. They're emphasizing the importance of being self-critical in development.
>>
>>2438803
don't mind them anon, just a bunch of unsparked retards that put 1 hour in every few days, doing nothing but browsing ic and occasionally drawing a fucking pear once every two weeks and they wonder why they can't illustrate like the gods.

this board is too fucking cancer, leave it if you'd like to actually achieve something
>>
>>2437208
If i can recommend you some additions to read:
1.While Draw a box: Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
by David Bayles and Ted Orland
I think the Introduction of the book gives away a good idea of what you can expect in the book:
"This is a book about making art. Ordinary art. Ordinary art means something like: all art not made by Mozart. After all, art is rarely made by Mozart-like people; essentially—statistically speaking—there aren't any people like that. Geniuses get made once-a-century or so, yet good art gets made all the time, so to equate the making of art with the workings of genius removes this intimately human activity to a strangely unreachable and unknowable place. For all practical purposes making art can be examined in great detail without ever getting entangled in the very remote problems of genius."
2.While you are doing Keys to Drawing: Bert Dodson
Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told Me About the Creative Life
The first part of the title is something people like to tend to overfocus on, but actually it is rather about the part after that.

They really help to get the whole idea of what is going to happen when you learn or make art, you will not draw better through them directly, but it helps with motiviation, what you would like to know before you start fully and actually grasping what art making is in a realistic way.
>>
Alternate between creative work and study, i did my best work when i was a nooblet, because i wasn't jaded like i am now
>>
>>2437208
It's likely going to take years before you leave the noob stage, unless you have an insane work ethic or you're particularly talented.

>>2438803
>>2438805
Don't reply to yourself, you fucking moron.
>>
>>2437208
>new master's academy

Wait, what do they got over there for beginners?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.