[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Realization/Epiphany thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: chrome_2016-02-18_02-44-34.png (143 KB, 794x975) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-02-18_02-44-34.png
143 KB, 794x975
So we recently had a realization thread about art and it was interesting and funny, I just had another epiphany and I think others may benefit from it.

TLDR; Share your artistic epiphanies
>>
>>2436511
>Learning to render
>can never get my shadows to look good
>Doing my first ever face study yesterday
>color pick to double check because I don't understand how the fuck shadows work
>Shadows give more saturation to the area
>WTF?
>I always figured since the ultimate shadow was pure black, that would mean you de-saturate shadows as you go darker
>that is not the case..
>>
>>2436511
You do know that there are plenty of ways to just stretch them to the correct ratio as a batch in under a minute, right? Even just going through and doing it by hand would have been quicker than making your OP image. Photoshop macros (I'm guessing, I haven't used it in forever) or Gimp scripts could do this without even having to touch a terminal.

You'll loose some quality, but it's not like they're ruined.
>>
>>2436515
Well skin is different due to subsurface scattering. For most things you darken and desaturate, for skin you darken and saturate.
>>
>>2436515
Maybe you should try experimenting with colors more, go crazy
You can push that shit pretty fucking far and it still looks good
>>
My main one is that nobody knows anything. Most of the critics in art couldn't draw to save their lives, and this bullshit about these neotraditionalists and their circlejerks about 'objective standards' is just that, complete bullshit.

Ultimately, time is the final arbiter on whether something is worthwhile or not. If an artpiece has existed for 2000 years, you can be pretty sure that it will remain relevant for quite some more time. Also, by then, all the shitty art has been filtered out and forgotten completely.

So my epiphany is: don't trust art critics, trust father time
>>
>>2436515
>the ultimate shadow was pure black

wtf does that even mean
>>
>>2436740
So.

Wait for 2000 years to find out what's wrong with the piece you're working on?

Do you even understand why artists seek critique? Are you, perchance, an idiot?
>>
>>2436746
i figured black meant 0 saturation. To understand the effects of things in life i like to extemify the situation. for example, if everyone had infinite money money would be worth nothing. Simplifies inflation
>>2436749
>>2436699
not me
>>
>>2436749
didnt mean to link your comment.
>>
>>2436749
Pretty sure he was referring more to professional critics, and certainly not to people offering critique to a receptive artist who is seeking one.

>>2436740
>Ultimately, time is the final arbiter on whether something is worthwhile or not.

I disagree. 2,000 years ago most people were illiterate and poorly educated. 2,000 years from now our values may change drastically, hell, humanity could be extinct. Looking to people that will never exist in your lifetime to tell you something is nonsense.

I think you too may have confused critical thought with some snobby critic. Sure, plenty of people that pass themselves off as critics are full of shit, but there are good artists that give good critiques.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.