[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My Intous small is shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: 1445289187245.jpg (55 KB, 345x359) Image search: [Google]
1445289187245.jpg
55 KB, 345x359
Got an intuos 5 pen and touch small but turns out that its almost impossible to 1) write with 2)draw with. There seems to be very little resolution on the thing, and lines will stick together unless im zoomed in to like 200% - 300%. I feel like you lied to me and I just wasted my money.

Where do I go from here?
>>
Anyone know what im going through? I just wasted tons of cash on this crap. I cant write a sentence without it 1) looking illegable like a child wrote it or 2) taking much longer to write than on regular paper, much less draw
>>
Small tablets are too small, but it sounds like a calibration issue than size you have here.
It's fine to draw on a small tablet, you just have to zoom out sometimes for larger strokes.
>cant write a sentence without it 1) looking illegable like a child wrote it or 2) taking much longer to write than on regular paper, much less draw
Have you used a tablet before?
>>
Sell that piece of shit and get a Huion Giano. Whoever told you to get a small tablet of any brand is a retard. The relative size of your tablet to your monitor is the #1 consideration, literally nothing else matters.
>>
>>2433412
>Have you used a tablet before?
In store and for using a PC when I broke my wrist
>>
>>2433368
Limit your mapping to a portion of the screen. Only the canvas area, not all the menus and stuff around it.
I have small wacom tablet I bought just to dabble with. A bit of perspective and coloring. It's pretty hard to do any kind of linework, but for painting in values it's fine.
>>
>>2433368
I still work with the small bamboo tablet for 4+ years because im a poorfag. suck it up
>>
>>2433584
if you saved only 2 dollar/week you could've bought an intuous medium now
>>
>Got an intuos 5 pen and touch small

Maybe you should've listened to the dozen people who tell anyone who even mentions getting one to not fucking bother.
>>
>>2433587
well its too late for that now isnt it
>>
File: 1453498685979.jpg (511 KB, 723x2160) Image search: [Google]
1453498685979.jpg
511 KB, 723x2160
>>2433587
This. I literally never see anyone recommend getting a small tablet.

Listen to a guy that's used 'em all. Get a Huion Giano.

>biggest active area available for desktop tablet
>smaler footprint than the $400~ Intuos Large
>less than $200
>>
>>2433802
what am i looking at
>>
>>2433368
Give it to me
>>
File: page34.gif (127 KB, 850x1169) Image search: [Google]
page34.gif
127 KB, 850x1169
>>2433816
Sorry, I didn't really explain the image that well. The top picture is a Wacom Intuos Medium siting on top of the Huion Giano with its active area highlighted, the second picture is an Intuos Large with its active area highlighted, the third is the Giano alone with its active area highlighted, and the final picture is the Giano on top of the Intuos Large to compare their total footprint.

The Giano is, in my opinion, the best traditional desktop style tablet currently available (for the price) that I've personally used, and a strong contender for best tablet of its type overall. The only real mystery is its longevity; the tablet hasn't been out for very long so there's no telling what its life expectancy and overall reliability may be.

https://www.huiontablet.com/huion-wh1409.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uM7OlRZvrA
>>
>>2433850
does it have a way to force proportions for different monitor resolutions?
>>
>>2433850
I accidentally bought an Art Pen for $90 with my intuos small, doubled up on the fail. I cant use that pen with the Huion Giano, and no huion tablets can read barrell rotation which is important for me.
>>
>>2433873
>>
>>2433873
>>2433962
yeh, at the cost of a little bit of the active area just like wacom tablets.
>>
>>2433979
do you actually sketch with the giano or do you use paper and scan it in / cintiq for that? Can you write words / sentences effectively while looking at the monitor with it or are your results just a scribbly mess?
>>
File: sketch.jpg (71 KB, 734x473) Image search: [Google]
sketch.jpg
71 KB, 734x473
>>2433987
>do you actually sketch with the giano

Yep, no scanning or any of that stuff.

Here's a bad picture I'd taken of a quick figure sketch I did with it when I'd first bought it (tablet pc, wasn't sure how to take a screenshot without a keyboard); extraordinarily long pointing arm and low resolution aside I think the lines are clear enough to lend credibility to what I'm saying. I'm not at the computer that I have the Giano plugged into currently but I would say drawing and writing on it is about as good as it is on my Intuos Large, which is again over twice as expensive. With a little practice it is as accurate as these kinds of desktop tablets are likely to get as far as I'm aware, and I've used a pretty large variety of them including a smaller Cintiq model.

So yeah, ditch the small. The problem with a small tablet is that they function much like a mouse that has its sensitivity cranked up. A couple centimeters of movement on the tablet might be close to an inch on the monitor. With a larger tablet which has a size more congruent with your monitor drawing becomes a lot more natural and comfortable.

That said, no matter what tablet you have you won't get anywhere either way if your actual manual dexterity is low, you have to practice this sort of thing ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk ) religiously for some time.
>>
>>2434027
hopefully giano pops up on amazon some time soon
>>
>>2434027
If you could get an intuos 4 (FOUR) large with 12x8 active area for $199 used and be able to use the Art Pen with barrell rotation do you think thats a better buy than the Giano?

>>2434047
whats wrong with ordering it from huion.com?
>>
File: shruggin' link.jpg (65 KB, 500x466) Image search: [Google]
shruggin' link.jpg
65 KB, 500x466
>>2434056
Possibly.

One of the few downsides I've found with the Giano in my limited experience is that the Huion stylus needs to be charged (this charge doesn't take long and lasts a long time, but it's something), and it feels noticeably lighter than the Intuos stylus; cheap. The radial button on the Intuos is nice as well, and the fact you can control up to 4 different settings with it means it just edges the Giano out as far as on-tablet hotkey availability goes (the radial button is essentially two buttons per setting). I honestly prefer the dense cluster of buttons on the Giano though, if they'd just made it so you could have a couple different settings like the radial menu on the Intuos models does that would have been huge, but as is it has 12 buttons to the Intuos' "16".

I'd say yeah, in that hypothetical scenario it might be worth a couple extra bucks to get a used Wacom 4 or 5 if it isn't all beat up.
>>
So the general consensus is fuck wacom? Are there any redeeming features about wacom? because I owned a Intuos pro medium for a while now.
>>
File: blookbutt.jpg (229 KB, 1451x571) Image search: [Google]
blookbutt.jpg
229 KB, 1451x571
>>2434141
I'm not saying "fuck Wacom" necessarily; they usually make a quality, reliable product. With that said, small tablets in particular are pretty limited (they're far more useful for just painting than they are line drawing), and I just think the Giano specifically is a choice tablet for the money. It'd be a great place to start, and in lieu of a Cintiq or something like that not a bad place to finish. It doesn't have some of the gimmicks that the newer wacom models have, but the large surface area more than makes up for that. I don't think I'd give up my Intuos 5 Large for it, but I'd probably take it over my Medium.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.