[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many hours can you hold up physically for drawing? Do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 10
File: backpain1.jpg (84 KB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
backpain1.jpg
84 KB, 275x275
How many hours can you hold up physically for drawing? Do you take breaks?

I Tried 5 with 1 hour break today and i'm already fucked. Maybe it's because i draw on a tablet monitor without a stand?

Seriously how do those mangakas survive? (Especially the ones without assistants)
>>
8 hours. I usually take ten minute breaks every hour or so and an hour long meal break.
>>
>>2431579
They sit on the floor like the god damn gooks they are.
>>
>>2431584

Do you use a normal chair? How is placed the paper/monitor where you draw?
>>
File: star-platinum.jpg (214 KB, 950x1160) Image search: [Google]
star-platinum.jpg
214 KB, 950x1160
>>2431579
Yeah you gotta get a stand to help you with that.
Taking breaks every hour and stretching also helps, maybe lay down in the bed every 4-5h aswell.
>>
>>2431579
the most i've done in one day is 11 hours, and with scheduling my time i could easily do 8-10 hours a day for the rest of the year, but i'm lazy so i've been averaging on 6 hours since november so i can play video games and shitpost.

i usually draw for 1-2 (occasionally 3) hours at a time then take a 30 min-3 hour break. i don't have a decent chair or desk, and i'm drawing in crappy sketchbooks. if it's you're wrist that's hurting, try to draw bigger, and do lots of wrist/arm stretches. if it's your back, maybe get a better chair. try and get the height of the chair aligned well too, i think the rule is to have your elbows align with the surface of the table. if my chair isn't at the right height i can definitely feel it
>>
I know my shoulder gets very sore after long drawing sessions. Started working out my shoulders with some free weights. My wrist are fine, though.
>>
>>2431579
max 4 hours with only small breaks
then my hand starts to hurt like hell
>>
average home schooling hours are 5-7 or something but if you take note at the time the student studies, it's roughly 4-5 hours. The rest of the time he/she take breaks or eat lunch etc.

look into homeschooling times more or studying tips and don't poop on yourself too much/moderate most things

unless you want to be those super pro guys who get gud in a small amount of time compared to the average, then disregard this advice.
>>
>>2431626
I'm more into sculpture now. I work at a table with a stool, I would say I spend about two thirds of my time sitting and around one third my time standing. I alternate whenever I get tired of the other.

When I did more drawing I'd do it in a pretty standard school chair and flat desk in my dorm with a board I balanced between my lap and my desk if I wanted to work tilted.

Lately I've been doing a lot of work from home sort of stuff. I sit at a regular desk with the Ikea Markus chair.

I'd say no matter what you sit on or where you work, it's important to do those hourly breaks, even if you don't feel tired/sore/whatever.
>>
File: chair.png (62 KB, 361x384) Image search: [Google]
chair.png
62 KB, 361x384
People always say to spend a lot on a good mattress, since you spend so much time sleeping. Same thing goes for a desk chair. You absolutely HAVE to get a good chair if you're going to be doing anything that requires long periods of sitting.

A $60 chair from Walmart isn't going to cut it.

I HIGHLY recommend buying a used, high-end chair. I got a Steelcase Criterion chair from Craigslist (pic related). It doesn't look like much, but it is built for great back support and long sessions. I got it used from Craigslist for $100, when it retails for ~$900.

If you don't have a lot of cash, hunt around for a second-hand chair like I did. It's one of the best things I've ever bought for my work.
>>
I draw for an hour max and then feel like i need to sleep for 5 hours
>>
how are the DX Racer chairs? I know there's streamers out there that sit on their ass all day playing 10+ hours and don't report any back problems of any kind. I'm guessing their good based off that.
>>
>>2431813
They're okay. I sat in one of my friends and it was very supportive. I don't know how it holds up over long hours, but they have good reviews. Read tons of reviews for any chair you're looking at.

The biggest drawback are the aesthetics. Either you love it or you hate it, but I find them straight-up embarrassing.
>>
File: $_12.jpg (120 KB, 490x1446) Image search: [Google]
$_12.jpg
120 KB, 490x1446
>>2431579
>>2431630

I'm using a Thinkpad X60 tablet for drawing and i've been thinking to get one of these.

The one on the bottom has fans, which may be good for this summer (it's 6 bucks more expensive). But i'm still not sure.
>>
>>2431862
Fans are just a distraction from art, you should focus on the process and gain the fulfillment through that.
So go with the top one.
>>
>>2431813
I got one two months ago. Was the best choice ever, my back pain is almost completly gone.
>>
File: monitorarm.jpg (85 KB, 1500x899) Image search: [Google]
monitorarm.jpg
85 KB, 1500x899
anyone use one of these fuckers? whats it like?
>>
>>2432168
I have a swing arm but its not that one. I use the yiynova branded arm with a yiynova msp19ru+. It's pretty great. You can pull it up close and prety much paint with it in your lap.

All swivel arms will wobble a bit if you don't brace them against the desk at least a little bit.

An arm is considerable better than any other stand out there.
>>
I pulled off 15 hours a couple days ago, trying to render something with a lot of wrinkles. I think I took a short break to eat noodles, though.

No noticeable strain from it, except sleep loss and a sore finger from pressing on the tablet pen. My monitor is at a good height, tablet's in a comfortable position, just got a new chair as an upgrade from the folding chair I used before.

Probably shouldn't do that too much, though. 8- to 10-hour drawing days are probably much safer.
>>
File: 50261-1001-3ww-l.jpg (19 KB, 307x600) Image search: [Google]
50261-1001-3ww-l.jpg
19 KB, 307x600
>>2431579
I've clocked in 14hour days on a standing easel like pic related. Problem is that I'm 6'4 so any kind of desk turns into a hunch fest (fuck you normals). Grafted on legs from a telescope to make up the height difference, only issue is that the base is now 7ft wide.

Usually average 4-5hours a day painting, hand doesn't cramp because I hold a brush properly. My palette hand can cramp if I'm too tense and clutching my palette/brushes/knives too hard.

Humans are not meant to sit for hours at a time. If you're going to be sitting on a computer all day, get a standing desk and lean bar.
>>
>>2431678
I have that chair, lol.
It's ok. nothing too fancy. I guess my lower back hurts a lot since I am scrawny and dont exerxcise my back at all (oranything else for that matter..)
>>
>>2432168
i've got one and it's really comfortable
>>
>>2431579
I can go all night baby! (Yeah!)
>>
File: cardio exercise.jpg (30 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
cardio exercise.jpg
30 KB, 300x300
Does exercise prevent back pains problems and shit like that?

I mean, i could draw for hours before, but since last month i can't go on for 2 hours. Maybe is the lack of exercise? (Like, it's been 3 years since then)
>>
>>2434861
Pay a gym subscription and lift some weights. You're unhealthy, and an artist job is unhealthy in general. Sometimes it's a hassle to go to the gym, but it is worth it because you'll feel physically better, and you're gonna need a body that is not ruined if you plan on living long and working long, so invest on it you cuck.
>>
>>2434861
No, knowing how to use your body does. Exercise won't make you healthier if you don't know what is wrong and how to deal with it.
>>
>>2431579
Pussy
I stand at a drawing board for 5 hours with a 20 minute break towards the end for class.
>>
File: 7407305196_cfefc8f264_o.jpg (379 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
7407305196_cfefc8f264_o.jpg
379 KB, 900x1200
>>2434861
Going on a bit of jogging can really help back problems ONLY if you:
Get good running shoes, a teacher who was a pro tennis player used to always tell me not to cheap out on feet as they support your entire spine (you can cheap out on the rest of the clothes though, I don't even wear a shirt under my jacket)
Land mid foot, not heel. Try jumping and landing in your heel, feel that shock? That's what you do to yourself heel jogging.
Maintain good posture while running.
Don't over do it, use jogging apps which are meant to cater to non-athletic people and keep re-doing easier exercise days until you're comfortable.
Jog on a running track. Decreases the shock, I could run twice the distance on one of those as opposed to the side-walk.

My posture is the best it's been for a very, very long time since I started jogging 4 weeks ago, a bit of calf pain but that doesn't matter once you're sitting down. Also a softball/back roller are great.
>>
>>2434861

Yes. Exercise trains your body to withstand stresses beyond what you experience when not exercising, so your baseline is raised and your body is able to cope with day to day stresses much better. Without exercise, your daily routine is all your body expects it needs to be able to do, so it's a lot easier to wear it out.

I mean, I'm simplifying. You need to exercise with awareness or you're liable to just hurt your body rather than help it grow, and you need to still consciously take steps while not exercising to keep good posture, take breaks when necessary, etc. But all that becomes easy-mode once effective exercise is introduced as hard-mode and re-calibrates the overall difficulty scale of being alive.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.