[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does disney still hire artists that can only anime in 2D? Al
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: Disney_Logo.png (11 KB, 1672x900) Image search: [Google]
Disney_Logo.png
11 KB, 1672x900
Does disney still hire artists that can only anime in 2D? All their movies are in CGI, but they still have some old fags from the last decade that work there. Probably union shit to keep them from being homeless by giving them something to do. I highly doubt once they die/retire, disney will still using any traditional animation at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt2lbHT-orM
But my ultimate question is how high of a chance does a traditional artist have for working at disney.
>>
File: Gravity_Falls_Logo.png (984 KB, 764x960) Image search: [Google]
Gravity_Falls_Logo.png
984 KB, 764x960
Their movies are CGI, but they have a lot of 2d tv shows.
>>
>>2430784
And all the animation for them is done in korea because of cheap labor
>>
>>2430801
Not all of it, but the bulk of it yes, but people still work doing other pre-production elements.
>>
>>2430807
Do animators in America even do real animation any more???? All I ever see are fucking storyboarders, and writers. The animation is usually done by koreans or japanese. Outside art school where people do animation projects I never really see them doing any real animation in shows.
>>
File: [tips nondescript hat].jpg (30 KB, 305x225) Image search: [Google]
[tips nondescript hat].jpg
30 KB, 305x225
>>2430974
Besides a few superstars like Glenn Keane and Eric Goldberg working for really small one off projects I honestly don't think so. LeSean Thomas actually moved to the Philippines to be in the thick of it as a supervising animator if I recall. All of the actual jobs doing it are in the east.
>>
>>2430801
I think it's sent to Ireland, isn't it?

Disney's mysterious. They act very transparent by promoting their cool artists like Shiyoon Kim and Cory Loftis, and showing process animation work from Tangled and shit, but what actually goes down in there for their feature work is too vague and complicated for the question "do they still hire 2D animators"
>>
2D animators aren't really a necessity to disney but they do still hire them as long as they can do cg shit. 2d stuff is usually done for acting tests or whatever pointless planning shit they do in the mean time during production.

Most of their 2d animators from the 90s learned how to do cg years ago anyway, so its not like their old guys are there just there because of "union shit". They're valuable assets to the company.
>>
>>2430991
Well I get that the old fags like Glenn Keen are valuable to disney but is it really necessary to have them animate an entire scene thats going to be done in CGI? Isn't that's what storyboarding is for. Just seems pointless.
>>
>>2430974
>America
>2d animating
there are so few major ones (from what I know) that it seems insignificant. vast majority of actual animating is outsourced to asia (South Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, sometimes Japan. Think there are a couple in Taiwan but might be CG stuff).
>>
>>2430998
its a really pointless part of the process, but drawing over scenes in 2d or doing in 2d entirely first is useful for some cg animators to keep that "2d appeal".
>>
>>2430762
I think your best bet nowadays is to be a concept artist.

Granted, there's only a handful of people doing it for any one company, but generally speaking, it must be more gratifying than to painstakingly animate every scene.

Also
>Most of Disney's 3D animation is done in Korea

No wonder all their movies look generic....
>>
As a person who considered a future career in 2d animation, this is making me question if it really is a wise decision..
But anyway, DISNEY ISN'T THE ONLY COMPANY IN THE WORLD.
There is this 2d movie thats gonna air in cinemas here (in Europe) that's called Tout En Haut du Monde(Long Way North), 2D all the way baby! here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7JDw2Qimo
>>
>>2431135
Most of their CG work isn't done in Korea, though. I know plenty of people at Disney that have worked on the past 2 theatrical films, and have had crunch times because they have so much work to do.

Studios like Dreamworks or Sony are the ones that export most of their animation to Korea or China, and their stuff is even more generic and shitty looking. If anything, Disney is still one of the few studios that does stuff mostly in house.
>>
>>2430998
thtas an animation test to decide on characters typical movements and stuff. Which is something and old warhorse like Glenn can do much better than any youngun.

also 2d animation is much more intuitive to work with, its quite a bit muscle memory. where as 3d animation is much more puppetry than traditional animation. its quite technical. which makes it hard too explore animation with more nuanse such as this.
>>
>>2430998
Many storyboards are practically key frames showing how a certain sequence roughly plays out. Pencil tests are just the animated version of a slightly more fleshed out story board sequence with a handful of in-between frames added in. They aren't that much extra work.
>>
>>2431137
You should probably learn how to animate in 3D along with 2D. Just saying. Even in eastern countries, animators that can do CGI get payed more.
>>
>>2431137
You probably won't get to do too much actual animating, but those skills are still applicable to storyboarding, layout, design etc.

That's what most of the jobs here are.
>>
>>2430979
south korea but i think he is working on his own show atm.
>>
>>2430784

OP means proper animation, not that limited, cheap ass stuff from today's TV shows.
>>
>>2431663
He's better off at a small studio then that does artsy shorts and whatnot. Disney and the other big studios are about turning enormous profits, so they will naturally take the route that produces the quickest and cheapest results.
>>
Makes me sad that there probably won't be any stuff like 2D disney movies. That shit was my childhood. I don't want to do animey nor move to china or japan so I guess I might as well stop learning animation and do something a bit more viable.
>>
I think traditional styles will come back one way or another eventually. They're idealised and respected still, even if 3d is ruling the market rn: everyone has fond memories of the classic animations they saw when they were kids.

It's really beneficial to know 3d when going into animation. However that's just another tool for animation, and I don't think there's a better way to learn the essentials of animation than hand-drawing each frame. After learning that, the sky is the limit really.

But I wouldn't put too much faith in Disney. Really, I don't know why anyone would want to be a part of the downfall of a great studio. I'd rather be a part of the future, and create something of my own, not just the same shit over and over again.
>>
File: duck-tales-2017-173056-800x400.jpg (111 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
duck-tales-2017-173056-800x400.jpg
111 KB, 800x400
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2016/03/first-look-at-ducktales-reboot-released-by-disney-xd/
>>
>>2431874
That doesn't actually look half bad, if they're going to animate it like that at all. Reminds me of 70's Disney.
>>
>>2431742
I think a big part of it was Walt's charisma and work ethic. I don't think it's impossible for someone like him to come along and start up a new great studio.
>>
>>2434812
Just wait 20 years, anon.

I'm going to be bigger than Jesus.
>>
>>2431742
disney has that level of name that they just attract amazing people like flies. sure, you most likely won't be heading up your own feature or working on anything with it's own truly absolutely unique vision, but what you will be is working with and surrounded by the best of the best of the best and i can definitely see the appeal in that. everyone at disney is most likely there because they wanted to work there more than almost anything in the world, and being surrounded by that level of dedication is intoxicating

>>2431688
if you can stick it out there's probably gonna be a decent sized renaissance of 2d spurned on by crowd funded projects, but you'll still have to have cut your teeth on something noteworthy or else people won't give you the time of day money wise. plus there's always france, they have a p decent sized 2d field still, and don't forget how telecommuting is allowing some animation collectives to come together from all over the world

>>2434852
hey, i hope you make some cool shit, i'll be looking forward to it
>>
>>2434812
Someone will come along. Hey, could be me. Or, it could be this guy >>2434852

>>2434894
Disney definitely still provides probably one of the best creative spaces to nurture great talent still. That attracts people, like you said. But I feel that as long as everyone with a vision gets tricked into making a deal with the devil that is Disney, they keep the monopoly on the industry to make stuff that (let's face it) isn't anything as mesmerising as it used to be. Disney is a dinosaur that needs to die. Obviously this is just my opinion, and it's also based on the fact that it's impossible to agree on how they go about destroying everyone in their wake. It's disgusting. The animator I'm assisting laughed when I said I'd never work for Disney. Could be that I never have to make that decision anyway, but I don't know if I could ever feel good about it personally. (But then again I'm a silly person.)
>>
>>2430974
2D animators still get work on kids shows (some aren't sent over, like ones that utilize flash) and doing commercials, and likely other freelance style work.
>>
>>2430801
Lol what?

Dana Terrace on Gravity Falls as an animator.
>>
>>2430762
The VisDev section is where most of the traditional artists would be. People like character designers, production design, visual development artist, environmental designers, storyboard artists, concept artists.
>>
>>2436716
Yea all of these roles are required for full length features at both Disney and Pixar
>>
>>2430974
Theres's Titmouse, one of the few studios you can go to to have your TV series done in house.
>Venture Brothers
>Superjail
>Metalacoloypse
>TURBO Fast
>Motorcity
>Randy Cunningham

Probably forgetting some.
>>
>>2430974
Do man children on YouTube count? There's a lot of those.
>>
>>2430762
No, nowadays studios don't have time to train people in CG software. You have to know CG animation to animate there. If your only love is 2D, you're better off going into storyboarding or concept art. I met Tom Bancroft last year (Mushu supervisor) and he went into character design and has been doing fine.
>>
>>2430762
http://www.ijreview.com/2016/02/547686-after-being-forced-to-train-foreign-replacement-ex-disney-employees-reaction-in-court-says-it-all/
>>
>>2439113
Capitalism baby. if you don't like it and don't want to work for less than tan man overseas go die on a street somewhere.
>>
>>2435237
She animated like 5 shots total. She was a storyboarder.
>>
>>2439113
How have we let them butt fuck us this hard? We have Koreans animating american cartoons for christ sake. Why hasn't the industry even attempted to rise? Why are all these artist taking it hard in the ass?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.