[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I be doing requests?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
I'm offering to complete requests for people who ask me on my art blog, and the requests are pretty simple drawings, but it's making me not want to draw any more. I lose any drive to create even simple sketches because the subject matter isn't what I'm interested in. I get too many requests now to draw what I want to.

However, I do realize that it's important to appeal to others for novice artists to gain popularity.

I was wondering, does anyone here do requests? how do you handle them?
>>
>>2430752
Do what you want. Do what interests you. If you want 'muh popularity' fan art bullshit then shut up and do it. If you want to make your own stuff then do that. Shut up and draw.
>>
>>2430752
muh requests only attracts people who arent willing to pay. its useless and youre working for free for total fags.
>>
There's no obligations to do requests. As far as popularity goes I'd say doing fanart is more productive for getting noticed than doing requests.

Usually when I do requests I go to the /tg/ drawthread and look for ideas I like. The requests aren't directed at me and there's no pressure to do them, you just do what seems fun.

Unless I'm actually friends with the person asking I wouldn't feel at all bad not filling a request I don't like. Nigga can pay me if he wants me to draw it that much.
>>
>>2430752 (OP)
All of the above comments and this: Don't do that to yourself. As you've already seen it will wear you down in a second. If you feel like doing a request once in a while or just want to do some throwaway warm up sketch and have no ideas, check out some of the drawthreads on other boards. If you like video games go to /v/ or anime go to /a/ and so on and you can choose something *you* want to draw or even ask if anyone has a request involving a character or subject you feel like sketching. Plus more often than you might think people get interested in commissions after that. As an artist it's important you always put yourself in a position of either equality or power, never servitude.
>>
>>2430756
>>2430758
>>2430781
>>2430789
thank you so much for the advice, I feel better about this now
>>
>>2430789
>equality or power, never servitude.
3deep5me, I like this
>>
>>2430752
as all previous anons said, don't do it.
>>
>>2430752
Request are low effort, ~10 minute sketches you can do on the toilet from your ipad. Do it every once in a while.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.