[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As an artist, anyone else butthurt over the fact that the true
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
As an artist, anyone else butthurt over the fact that the true vision of this movie will never be finished?
>>
Yes.
>>
>>2430190
Yes
>>
>>2430190
Yeah, I'm sure the film would've been visually impressive and all but the story itself would still be garbage.
>>
Williams himself said to get over it.
>>
Honestly, no. I saw the unfinished part and was not impressed.
>>
>>2430190
>butthurt over the fact that the true vision of this movie will never be finished
Always and forever.
>>2430406
Probably because he's tired of being reminded of it. It was supposed to be his masterpiece and after having sunk all that time and money into it he was still unable to complete it as he had envisioned.
>>2430398
No doubt, but it would have been such a feast for the eyes that I could easily forgive that.
>>
Not particularly. Let me put it this way, as a piece of art it is absolutely gorgeous, I salviate over the chase scene alone and it's my go-to scene to try to show people the beauty of the animation and explain why I love animation in general however...

As a piece of entertainment, what it needs to be at its core (and I'm going by the "re-cobbled" version someone put together not the gross release it DID get) it fails spectacularly. It's very slowly paced, the design wouldn't have ever appealed to mass-audiences (so treating it as a children's film was a mistake) and the story in my opinion is a weak, unmemorable one.

It is an absolutely beautiful movie, showing the capacity and excellence 2D animation can achieve, and it was a labor of love...but that's part of the problem. Trying to make this movie into a masterpiece was part of why it suffered so hard, and if he had stepped back and said "Okay this isn't working" i think it wouldn't have gotten chopped up into what it turned into for it's release and could have instead been reworked to still fit his vision, if only he hadn't been blinded by the art. Story is more important than the art, and that is just fact when you are creating something for viewing and not for yourself, and his problem is that he tried to do the latter with something that needed to appeal to a mass audience.

I'm still going to force my fiance to sit through the recobbled version at some point with me but I can admit that it's very slow and that he likely will not pay attention to much of it because it just doesn't hold attention very well throughout the entirety of it.

It's the same problem I have with The Last Unicorn, a movie tons of people love. I just saw it this week for the first time in class and we discussed the problems with the story and one of the biggest problems was the pacing, same as this one.

A gorgeous piece and example of animation it is, but a good movie it is not.
>>
>As an artist, anyone else butthurt over the fact that the true vision of this movie will never be finished?
>>
File: 1421529303562.jpg (88 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
1421529303562.jpg
88 KB, 500x484
>>2431090
>Kon's goodbye letter
>>
File: Joelsadmousears.jpg (62 KB, 846x846) Image search: [Google]
Joelsadmousears.jpg
62 KB, 846x846
>>2431090
Too soon anon
>>
>>2431040
>Probably because he's tired of being reminded of it

This. He spent all his money and years of his life on it and it was taken away from him and rushed out to a hack job. I'd never want to be reminded of it again.
>>
>>2431090
Oh... No...
>>
>>2430190
wow, i didnt know this, its pretty interesting animation-wise
>>
Please tell me you all watched Prologue, here is a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVQyppjMG7U

Skip to 1:08 for the actual animation
>>
>>2432105
>"will i live to finish this?"

Shades of Kon...
>>
>>2430190
I mean its like 90% done, so no. you can watch the full damn thing on youtube
>>
>>2431090
I'm in tears.
At least we have all his other films. Paprika da best. ;-;

Actually, weren't they trying to finish the film? The script was finished and like 1/3 of the shots or something. Right?
>>
classic gilchrist of orangecow notoriety was actually restoring this frame by frame. he streamed the process, not sure if he's still working on it. http://orangecow.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3&start=170
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.