[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Draw a Box
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: logo.png (6 KB, 152x76) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
6 KB, 152x76
What does /ic/ think of Draw a Box and their teaching program?

Is it worth doing?
>>
I drew 250 vaginas. The instructions need to be clearer.
>>
>>2428180
Were they in a box though?
>>
>>2428188
pure virgin detected
>>
>>2428169
Pretty productive start for a beginner; I'd recommend doing it before tackling Loomis. Otherwise a decent supplement to whatever you want to study/draw/paint, but far from complete.
>>
>>2428169
It good in terms of giving a structure for practicing and some sort of critique.
The instructions as you go on beyond the first few lessons will require extra learning sources.
>>
>>2428169
It's good for beginners to learn how to draw basic shapes before getting into stuff like Loomis.

Drawabox is decent for that but I prefer the CGMA videos on that topic by Peter Han.
>>
>>2428169
I blitzed through the first lessons because I've been drawing over a year. Hit a big block around the figure drawing. Learned a lot though and I might go back to it. I did finish it plus all homework but the results on the later lessons weren't great and I felt the need to look elsewhere for learning. Currently on Bridgman again
>>
>>2428169
schill
it's shit
>>
>>2428169
NOT LOOMIS
>>
>>2428899
It's free, how is that shilling.
>>
>>2428542

>I prefer $700 videos to this free service

fuck off Peter Han
>>
File: 1453567336811.gif (506 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1453567336811.gif
506 KB, 500x500
It's some ok advice but I feel like it dwells too much on mindless shit and is overall boring. Loomis covers everything on there and much more, Loomis also writes much more enticingly so I don't see an advantage.

I hate the art this schmuck who created it makes as well, so that's another reason I wouldn't use it. Loomis (or pretty much any of the classic authors like Hogharth or Bridgman etc.) is an established figure with an amazing body of work and a life of accomplishments which imho makes it all a bit more motivating and you can feel all the experience that he shares through his books, while with this concept design kiddo it just seems like he copied some practice advice from his classes and posted it on web.
>>
File: 1457153755471.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2092) Image search: [Google]
1457153755471.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2092
serious question, do japs study loomis? or do they have their own version of loomis? how are they able to create such 3d like animu?
>>
>>2429411
It was basically confirmed not too long ago the Admin of Draw a box™ came to /ic/ and admitted he shills his website. Just check the archive..was last month.
>>
>>2429821
wat. you mean with adds? or by teaching people how not to draw?
>>
>>2429832

Not him but with constant threads about it.

Tbh its the only accusation of shilling on /ic/ I find plausible. As soon as it opened up there were consistent threads about that site made here on a weekly basis.
>>
>>2429832
there's patreon only vids, you dumb fuck. confirmed drawabox admin.
>>
>>2429415
>I don't have an account on CGPeers
Are you even trying to git gud? Not having access to cgpeers is like not having access to paper.
>>
>>2429820
Anon who lives in Japan here. They do have Loomis books translated into Japanese. Alot of the how to draw mango books also teach fundamentals, IE proportions, construction, gesture.
>>
>>2429820
Have only spoke to furry artists in japan, and yes, they have studied loomis among other things were familiar with here.
>>
>>2428169
Download the peter hans videos, draw a box sticks a lot of its intermediate shit behind a pay wall.
>>
>>2429849
I do but only ripping videos off CGMA isn't really what makes the lessons great, it's the actual critique you get that you miss out on
>>
>>2429849
Did you find his lessons there? I only found his workshop
>>
>>2429821
>>2429835
OP here, I didn't know about this, I just wanted you guys' opinion, sorry.

>>2429861
>>2429871
Interesting.

>>2429884
Thank you and thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'll pass on Draw a Box, I don't find it very appealing. Anon's opinion >>2429813 also there kinda sealed the deal.
>>
>>2428169
i tried it.
fucking boring
>>
>>2429849

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the thread topic but

I never got the confirmation email to create my account in CGP, wtf, does it take some time or do they just ignore some of the request to get in?

gonna try again with a different email next time i guess
>>
>>2429820
from what i've seen, japan has better learning resources than the us. here weebs are stuck with da trash. art schools seem to be the same as everywhere else
>>
>>2431344
you won't make it
>>
>>2428169
God I wish fucking retards would stop asking this question. Uncomfortable pls go.

It'll hold your hand as a beginner, there's better out there, the end.
>>
>>2432186
Then why are you replying to it and thus bumping the thread? Previous reply was 10 hours ago. You're the retard there m8.
>>
>>2432186

> there's better out there

What is DAB better than? What's it worse than?
>>
I'm hearing conflicting opinions on where to begin. People are suggesting Loomis, drawbox and Michael Hampton, If I were to do all 3 which order should I do them in?
>>
>>2432778
Draw-a-box is a definite first.
>>
>>2428169
>Look at artist's art
>It's so ugly

He is pretty good at the fundamentals though
Honestly he's not a bad person to learn from. I don't understand how you guys can so quickly recommend Loomis.

There's a lot you can learn from sheer repetition.

I'd say it's a good prelude to a better drawing guide.
>>
File: beyondthelilies.jpg (521 KB, 1270x1193) Image search: [Google]
beyondthelilies.jpg
521 KB, 1270x1193
>>2433194
I mean look at this.
It feels like a deviant art submission, but that doesn't mean the lessons are any less solid.

I do recommend moving on from Draw-a-box once you go through the course once.
>>
>>2431367
i won't make what
a box ?
>>
>>2433196
At the same time, I don't believe artistic skill matters as much as teaching skill. I've had art teachers that were amazing, but terrible teachers.

They literally couldn't explain how they're able to draw so well to their own students, and as a result, people ended up totally skipping the fundamentals of art and no one got better at drawing.

In my opinion, experience is secondary to explaining and teaching. Draw-a-box isn't a bad place to learn the fundamentals from, but once you get through it, it's a good idea to drop it and move to something else while retaining everything you've learned.

By no means is it a bad place to start.
>>
>>2433204
>Get bored of fundamental study
>Think you're above it

You'll never be good if you quit things that bore you. You're not going to make it if you keep that attitude. Even professional artists occasionally practice basic perspective exercises.
>>
I think the first two lessons are fine. After that you should learn perspective and then you can move on to Loomis or even Vilppu.
>>
>>2428542
Everybody likes to do the whole "Peter Han > Drawabox" but two perks to Drawabox are:
1) The assignments are better and more fulfilling.
2) You can get free crits.

Don't listen to these anons and their Loomis shit. Most of them haven't gotten anywehre and it's from this judgmental attitude and lack of repetition. Learn from everybody, do Drawabox to give you shit to do. Loomis has some good points but honestly his shit is thick and unnecessary at times... it's easy to get lost in his stuff.
>>
>>2433196
That's better than the majority of /ic/. Actual pieces fully done with a good sense of perspective? So the people are a little ugly and it isn't god-tier but damn man he's decent enough to give some advice I'd say.
>>
I don't really understand why he bothers to do it. It seems like a total waste of time that could be better spent on literally ANYTHING else.

There's a spreadsheet of all the homework he gets that's been around since September. In the last six months he's done nearly a thousand critiques.

Is he some kind of lifeless robot?
>>
>>2436389

Good point.
Most people would feel Uncomfortable doing something like that.
>>
>>2436398
It all comes together. It all starts to make sense.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.