[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm mostly an anime waifu drawfag, I love to draw anime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 12
I'm mostly an anime waifu drawfag, I love to draw anime girls.

But lately, I'm heavily interested into learning to draw cartoon girls and comic girls.

It's there any artist that tries to mix those three styles?

can /ic/ post anything like it?

pic related is some style I would love to learn to draw.
>>
File: Harpy_Opal_sweetashoney.jpg (117 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Harpy_Opal_sweetashoney.jpg
117 KB, 800x533
Brianne Drouhard tbhfam
>>
>>2428022
You mean tumblr style?
>>
Alessandro Barbucchi

but it won't do any harm if you draw /co/ waifus on your anime style, what is making you go from anime to toons anyway? i don't think it worths changing your aesthetics just because of your new waifu.
>>
>>2428022
>cartoon style
>learn
Nigga, it's just circles n shit!
>>
>>2428034
just bored of sameface anime shit.
>>
File: flcl hiroyuki imaishi.jpg (379 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
flcl hiroyuki imaishi.jpg
379 KB, 1024x768
>>2428022
hiroyuki imaishi is really good at mixing archetypal anime with western cartoony/animation style influence
>>
File: FILE102.gif (3 MB, 222x125) Image search: [Google]
FILE102.gif
3 MB, 222x125
>>2428039
Good enough for me
The thing is that western artists apreciate ecleticism and you should think beyond jus mixing anime and cartoons, think of artists you like, work you like and and start from there

Also watch Wakfu,pic related, the people at ankama mix anime with french shit seemlessly.
>>
>>2428022
Though it's just Anime influenced by western animation, instead of a perfect 50/50 mix, I really like Yoh Yoshinari.
>>
anime is cartoons you dumb shit

just draw things more circular
and there you go
>>
File: Teen_titans.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Teen_titans.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
I'm in the same boat as you, OP. I was thinking of going for that Cartoon Network style you see in shows like Teen Titans and Ben 10. It's both western and cartoony while still staying away from generic Tumblr shit.
>>
>>2428044
It's such complete shit. The only thing more soulless than generic anime, is the weird hybrid shit that the French and Italians do.
>>
>>2428111
>It's both western and cartoony while still staying away from generic Tumblr shit.
It's still generic shit though
>>
Look at some skull girls stuff
>>
File: m9wx1fH.png (495 KB, 671x1122) Image search: [Google]
m9wx1fH.png
495 KB, 671x1122
>tfw teal will never be back

I really liked his style
>>
>>2428034
Reminds me of Witch comics desu.
>>
pic related is Russian artist Otto Schmidt.

What I've found to be best is to first find your favourite artists of those genres and see what they do that stands out from the standards of the genre itself. Inio Asano is probably my favourite mangaka - his blend of pseudo-realism with anime is perfect for drama, dread, and horror. So mix their styles by studying what they do, find what works for your interests, and go from there.
>>
>>2428244
das it mane
>>
File: tumblr_ne0wmzB7qV1siwr7xo1_1280.jpg (576 KB, 810x1080) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ne0wmzB7qV1siwr7xo1_1280.jpg
576 KB, 810x1080
>>2428022
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oN3hamwls8
>Rin's voice
10/10
>>
>>2428263
>Witch
W.I.T.C.H. ? Barbucchi was the artist there too.
>>
>>2428022
Learn your fundamentals, then you'll be able to apply them to any drawing style.
>>
File: mokkai suru no.jpg (43 KB, 359x355) Image search: [Google]
mokkai suru no.jpg
43 KB, 359x355
>>2428022
It's best not to view style as a dichotomy between Western cartoons and Japanese "animes". Both have a wide variety of styles and influences, and not to mention a lot of overlap and influence with each other, that to try and make something in a "Western" or "anime" style will only lead you to make something generic and mediocre looking. Likewise, if you try to make a hybrid style, you'll merely be combining generic traits to create something no less mediocre and unappealing.

As >>2428044 said, you want to approach it with an ecclesiastic mindset. Peruse your favorite artists and examine their individual styles; take note of what you like of their work, and try to analyze and understand the fundamentals underneath each style.

Besides, anime is literally just short for animation in Japanese. (アニメーション = animēshon) Really, it's all just cartoons.
>>
>>2428244
The hero that we needed, but didn't deserve ;_;7
>>
>>2428474
Yeah, that's what I meant. Was a huge fan of it from kindergarten to around 2008 or whenever the economic crash was. It's probably my biggest influence, for better or worse, although I've combined it with tonnes of other things.

Tbh, one thing I hate is how paranoid I am of drawing stuff that looks too animu, since it's looked down on a bit.
>>
>>2429413
You should check out on other works by barbucchi and learn something from him.
>>
Gashi-Gashi is someone that has a heavy cartoon influence and manages to do something interesting with what he does. There's a lot of others on pixiv, twitter, etc that manage to do the same, but I can't really name any off the top of my head.

But as several others have said in this thread, don't try to aim for something "cartoony" or "anime", because you'll just end up with something generic. The best way to go about it is to just brush up on foundations, understand some basic character design theory stuff, and grab from artists you like.
>>
File: tumblr_nynzaf8Siq1r3gwo9o1_500.png (495 KB, 500x647) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nynzaf8Siq1r3gwo9o1_500.png
495 KB, 500x647
>>2429695
forgot to add a picture, but the guy is pretty versatile stylistically.
>>
>>2428022
Is that show any good.
>>
>>2430834
if you like high energy, lol-so-random comedy.
>>
>>2428244
Why do you people call him "teal"
His name is Simon.
>>
>>2431015
>teal line guy
thats his ic name since no one bothered
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.