[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Marker thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 16
File: 22110-0129-2ww-m.jpg (48 KB, 227x300) Image search: [Google]
22110-0129-2ww-m.jpg
48 KB, 227x300
What type of markers does /ic/ use/reccomend?
I bought a pretty big set of Prismacolors years ago, but I recently bought a set of greyscale Copics and like how they color and blend. Was thinking of investing in a colored set but was wondering what other comparable alternatives are out there, preferably lower priced but I'm willing to splurge if necessary.
Also, general marker discussion thread I guess.
>>
Copics are the best that I've found as far as getting even coverage and avoiding that splotchy marker look, they blend really well too. I don't have a lot of them, but I like their small color fusion / blending trio 3-sets for quick sketches.

There are a lot of more reasonably priced alternatives depending on where you are in the world; W&N Brushmarkers (basically rebranded Letrasets), Neopiko, Chartpak, Spectrum Noir, etc. They're all decent and worth a try if you're not willing to pay up the ass for Copics.

I just hate how most of these alcohol markers absolutely destroy normal paper.
>>
ive got myself the cool greys and warm greys set. all their refills. they are really go tonal studies, quick sketches ID drawings etc etc

cost wise, i think in the long term, they are worth it. with other alternatives they are not refill inks so you have to splash every now an then. but with copic-san one refill will fill your marker 15-13 times. and a refill cost £5 here. they are worth it i would say
>>
Anyone have suggestions on the best paper to use with copics?
>>
I use promarkers
>>
I wanted to try a copics alternative, so I just ordered a bunch of chinese bootleg Touch markers for cheap on ebay. Read good things about them but I'm not sure how true that is. Anyone have or heard any experience about these? They are called Touchliit. Pic related.
>>
>>2427531
I've been wondering about these too. I've also seen a lot of really positive reviews but the price almost seems too good to be true.
http://brokeforart.tumblr.com/post/95265200714/brush-markers-copic-ciao-vs-shinhan-touch
I thought this was a pretty thorough review. Colors look good at least.
>>
I just bought a couple of Prismacolor Premiers, and holy shit they bleed like a motherfucker. They were kinda pricey too. Anybody have any experience with these things? Are they always like this?
>>
>>2427657
Leave room for them to bleed. I find prismacolor 'harsher' to work with then copics but I have a mix between the two.
>>
>>2427606

holy shit that is racist as fuck. Do they not make anything for people that don't look like semen stained porcelain dolls?
>>
>>2427943
No those are the only colors they make, sorry
>>
I've used Prismas and Spectrum Noirs before, but desu nothing yet has compared to Copic Sketch markers. If Prismacolor ever made refills & had extra nibs for their markers that would be funny if only to give Copic a run for their money. Spectrum Noir already does this but their extras end up more expensive than even the Copic refills & nibs

>>2427504
I would reckon something with a heavy weight, around 250gsm at the very least.

I have Canson illustration paper (slightly textured) 150lb, and Hammermill Color Copy Digital Cover (smooth) 100lb

Hammermill might be costly but you're buying a ream (250 sheets) of it because its still for printers. Canson on the other hand is somewhat cheaper, varies in size, but comes with 15-20 sheets (I forget)

There's also bristol obviously, but I wanted to give other suggestions.
>>
>>2427504
Marker paper works great if you're ok with it not being good for anything else. Canson XL pads are relatively cheap.
>>
Holy fuck those things are expensive
How can anyone be ok paying so much for a single color?
>>
>>2428287
stick to you digital crap and never grow digifag. with one cool grey marker and a pen one can create more just fine.
>>
File: pigment_cover.png (472 KB, 1038x576) Image search: [Google]
pigment_cover.png
472 KB, 1038x576
>>2428295
He's got a point, though. I like Copics, but they're only really worth it if you use them a lot, thanks to the refills.
In the end it's still not as expensive as something like pic related, but it's kind of sad spending that much money on something that's not even lightfast.
>>
>>2428295
I never did a digital painting in my life, I mostly use watercolor and chalk pastel. Why are you assumn that you can only use markers of work digitally?
>>
>>2428304
what do you mean? if you want to trust chinese knock off that is just fine, i do that. but are you implying copics are not light fast?

>>2428310
i dont un derstnad your point. forgive me for the false assumption but allot of idiots here just draw from an LCD screen 24/7 and neglecting something as simple as a pencil. this is painstakingly sad when new guys not only struggling with the art of sketching effectively but also with the digital medium as well
>>
>>2428317
Yeah, Copics aren't lightfast. None of these dye-based markers are.
>>
>>2427943
I don't know about the other brand but remember Copic markers are japanese. What do japanese people look like? That vary range of skintones. It's not racist if the majority of your population is that range of skintones. If they were American made, yes, it'd be racist. Copic does sell markers that work just fine for other skintones though because they have a huge range of colors. Just not in a set on their own.

I can't speak for the other brand as this is the first I've heard of them.
>>
>>2428287
They're cheaper than paint.
>>
>>2428317
For something to be lightfast means they won't fade in light over a period of time. Markers will fade from light exposure over a period of time.
>>
>>2428659
That's a silly comparison. A single marker is cheaper than a tube of artist-grade paint, yeah, but unlike markers you can paint anything with a minimal palette, while you need a whole stack of Copics for a full color range.
>>
>>2428751
I don't understand your logic there. How is having one color in one medium any different from having only one color in another?

I'd rather spend $5 per marker than $30 per tube of paint kthx, especially when the markers will likely last me much longer and are more cost effective.

That said I don't do either medium so it's kind of a moot point.
>>
>>2428751
Also, I've seen people do some crazy work with one to two colored markers, and shitty work with less paint so your logic, again, is flawed as fuck. It's the artist who matters in the end. Way to out yourself as skill-less.
>>
>>2426939
>>2427606
>>2427531
I prefer shin han touch twin markers than copic. but there is not much differences (touch markers tend to be more saturated)
>>
File: 46812.jpg (80 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
46812.jpg
80 KB, 600x400
>>2428657
Copic Ciao has a skin set that's a little more diverse. Not a lot of mid-tones but it's easy to fill in the blanks if you need to. I don't know a lot about the Ciao line, though, are they basically like copies with a more limited shade range/different barrel shape?
>>2429312
This is really good to hear, I'm thinking of springing for one of the sets I've seen on ebay. Not sure which set to get, though.
>>
>>2429345
Also i think but i'm not completly sure, Copic have more ink for default
>>
>>2429345
>>2429357
And Ciaos can't be refilled, right?
>>
>>2429367
Nope
>>
>>2429005
>>2429010
What the fuck are you on about? All I'm saying is you can mix more colors with a small selection of paint than you can with markers, so the idea that it's a cheaper medium isn't actually true if you were to try to paint the same things with both. Yes, having a single tube of paint is different from having a single marker. Look at what people do with the Zorn palette, that's 4 colors. You can't get anywhere near the same range with 4 markers. How am I "outing myself as skill-less" for stating the obvious?
It's a stupid argument either way, comparing the price of two vastly different mediums is completely pointless.
>>
>>2429005
i like markers (i use Copic), but no way are they more cost-effective. A tube of paint will last 10x the marker, easily.
>>
>>2428659
one marker is cheaper than one tube, sure. But that tube will provide way more coverage.

I used to use Copics a lot, but I've been winding it down for exactly this reason. Got sick of stocking up on refills.
>>
>>2429005
you don't understand much at all, apparently
>>
>>2429367
Yes they can, they just take a lot less ink for each refill
http://www.copicmarker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Refilling_Markers_FAQ.pdf

>>2429420
Also this, especially if it is watercolour paints. Unless you fuck it up when packing it away or let it mold somehow, those shits will last for years
>>
File: mah kuhs.png (1 MB, 599x852) Image search: [Google]
mah kuhs.png
1 MB, 599x852
How 2 git gud with markers?
>>
I use shinhan TOUCH markers, a great alternative if copics are too pricey
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXFkRD60Iis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rvORx1Nnyw

Not my favorite reviewer but the videos cover most markers
>>
File: 2016-03-06 22.07.22.jpg (3 MB, 3092x1832) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-06 22.07.22.jpg
3 MB, 3092x1832
Here is an example of the Shinhan touch, I'm still nee to markers, but they are very saturated
>>
>>2430903
Are those blues intentionally unblended or is it difficult to get a good gradient with them? Color payoff is nice.
>>
>>2430933
this is one half of the marker set that i have, i wonder if set A has better inbetweens. Like i said, i dont know how to use or blend markers, this is my first real time of getting in and using them like this.

Also using hot pressed arches watercolor paper.
>>
Wait, I'm confused about the Touch markers...maybe one of you can help me out.
Are Touchfive and Shinhan touch markers the same thing? How about Touchliit? I've been looking them up on ebay and I'm not certain which is which/which is the better buy.
>>
>>2431143
They are not the same at all, shinhan touch are the ones i use as you can tell in >2430903 its made in korea i feel like the others are chinese knock offs so the quality may vary.
>>
>>2430745
I will never understand that girl's popularity. She can't draw worth a damn.
>>
>>2431324
Thanks, I'm new to this. Only bought copics and prismas before. I can't find many reviews of the Touchfives or the Touchliits on line. Bummer.
>>
>>2431487
I also agree, but her coloring is pretty neat
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-07-23-11-10.jpg (183 KB, 809x1060) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-07-23-11-10.jpg
183 KB, 809x1060
First time using copics. Was done rather quickly. Can't tell whether or not it's cringe.
>>
>>2432507
It's kind of splotchy. What sort of paper did you use? On the topic of paper, never use watercolor paper with markers, unless you're fine with drained ink and fuzzy nibs. That shit is like a sponge for inks.

The lines could use some help, but you said this was done quickly so I'm assuming it was just a marker test. Mostly it's the purple haired character that's off. Check the shoulders and the head shape so you know what to fix next time. I know it's a little difficult to flip your lines when you're working on paper, but even holding up the pencil sketch to a window or a light will help you see what needs to be fixed. You can also take a phone picture and flip it.
>>
>>2433910
Thanks, I appreciate the critique. I was using Strathmore 500 series marker paper (was a gift). After experimenting with it a bit more I think I understand why >>2428093 suggested at least 250gsm. The paper I'm using is too thin.

I was also wondering if you could elaborate a bit more on what you mean when you say "flip your lines"? I'm guessing you're talking about a technique that I’m not familiar with.

For that drawing I had a sketch on a separate piece of paper, over which I laid the (translucent) marker paper. I put color down within the lines of the drawing underneath. I struggle with not being able to draw directly on the paper with pencil or ink before going to color because the markers smudge everything. Is this something that happen with better quality marker paper as well?
>>
>>2434137
Marker paper doesn't need to be thick if it's doing its job. I use a Canson 70 gsm pad with no issues. Does the ink bleed to the back of the page? If not, you're fine.

Smudged lines are a side effect of the alcohol-based markers, not the paper. I suggest either using a harder grade pencil or any type of pigment ink pen. Some work better than others. You may need to wait a while for the ink to dry and settle before going in with the markers, anywhere from 20 minutes to a couple of hours.
>>
>>2431143
>>2431324
Anyone tried the Touchfive? Heard the Touchlitt are shit.
>>
>>2432507
Just for the record, it is quite cringe.
>>
>>2434137
>I was also wondering if you could elaborate a bit more on what you mean when you say "flip your lines"?
I'm assuming that anon means flip your shit horizontally and see if it still holds up. Easier in photoshop but can work if you hold your paper up to the light and look at it from the back side.
>>
>>2432507
Jesus Christ what is that tumblr shit?!

Those fucking faces...
>>
File: 1457389136289.jpg (71 KB, 418x700) Image search: [Google]
1457389136289.jpg
71 KB, 418x700
>>2434326
Thanks for confirmation sempai. I was lazily aping pic related so that I could have something simple to experiment on with markers.

Can anyone post inspiring marker work, or styles that lend themselves well to markers?
>>
>>2434603
You don't really need to emulate a specific style in order to use and experiment with markers, they're pretty versatile.
>>
for anything decently thick. Neuland is best for fast drying, chiseled edges.
>>
>>2427943
Nips don't like drawing nigs, sorry f@m
>>
>>2434603
Like the other anon said, marker are really versatile. For alcohol based markers, you can get anything from a super vivid coloring style to soft, almost watercolor looking art. It just depends on your techniques.
>>
>>2434137
Strathmore marker paper is pretty shit tier on top of being stupid expensive.

>>2434206
Paper can only do so much, true, but it does factor in somewhat. If they're doing very heavy layering, they should seriously consider a heavier weight, or at least put a thick enough scrap paper behind their work sheet. However, it should be something of a concern of theirs RE: technique. if these issues continue.
>>
File: IMG_20160111_031539.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2176) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160111_031539.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2176
I love a nice heavy cardstock for marker art. I bought a set of 110 brush shinhan markers for $92.00 on ebay. It was a christmas present to moiself. Couple of the colors suck royal ass, but on the most, I'm very happy with them. :)
>>
>>2434325
Sadly no, the Shinhan touch are a different brand
>>
>>2437067
I don't think these are shinhan, I don't see the name on the barrel? Regardless that's a decent price for 110 fucking markers...do you have a link to the ebay listing?
>>
File: 20150127_150206.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150127_150206.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2438048
They're first generations of the brush type. Color chart is the same.
>>
File: 20150127_150324.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150127_150324.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2438048
I bought these last year around xmas as a gift for myself. I don't think the listing still exists. :/
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (34 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
34 KB, 300x300
Got these from piece of shit friends. Is there any way to make these useful or should I just toss them?

[spoiler]I mean I really don't want to throw away new markers[/spoiler]
>>
>>2438119
I use those for gesture drawing and the like on newspaper. You could do the same.
>>
>>2438119
Do what other anon said and use them for gesture drawing, but i've seen people make some REALLY CRAZY work with those markers so see what you can do with them. You never know what you're capable of with shitty materials until you try. The problem witht hem is they're streaky so you REALLY need to color in tiny circles if you want it to be smooth. Do small drawings, report back I'm curious if you can make anything decent from them.
>>
>>2438073
>>2438076
I see. Bummer! That sounds like a pretty good deal considering what I've seen them go for.
>>
>>2438279
It's an epic deal. 97 cents a marker. Who can beat that? Most have really nice inks. Full WG, CG, and BG sets. I'm tres happy with them. And I can save my copic inks for more important things. If I muddy up a nib of these shinhans, I only paid 97 cents for the barrel/tip set up, and I'll just re-manufacture new markers with them.
>>
>>2438119
Marker painting Color the area but leave some white around (so if you were coloring a circle you'd just have a smaller circle of color inside and nothing on the edges), take a wet brush, color, bam. Watercolor effect without watercolor mess.

There are a few issues with this tutorial (I don't recommend using the Q-Tip because it will leave cotton shit, but you can experiment), but it gets the point across.
>>
>>2438575
>Step 19
wew laddie

That's quite the interesting tutorial otherwise. Honestly have never seen something that handles cheap markers in this sort of way.
>>
>>2438627
It's a pretty great method. Once I got my shit together and started buying nice markers, I still needed something to do with my old, cheap materials. You also don't feel bad about potentially ruining the markers with weird experimental shit since it's like $3 for 72 of them. Speaking of ruining markers, another fun method is to dab the marker itself in water and paint with that. You can drip the ink over for a nice, soft effect that works well on backgrounds.
>>
>>2429955
hopin to shed some light on this

how do you go about learning to render with markers? my blends just never seem smooth enough
>>
>>2438852
Honestly, it all comes down to paper quality and being quick, yet careful.

Just like with watercolor and ink, the quality of paper means a world of difference. A lot of papers marketed as 'for markers' tend to be like a sightly more opaque tracing paper. The ink sits on top of it and when it dries it has a very distinct boarder, like watercolor does when you have too much water.

For me, the idea paper for copics is slightly absorbent (but not aquarelle-level absorbent), a bit on the thicker side and has a really delicate tooth or none at all. Crafter's cardstock tends to be pretty great for that.
>>
>>2428659
depends on the paint and the marker really
>>
>Want to refill my Copics
>Everywhere I look they're out of stock
>It's been months now
C'mon guys, get your shit together.
>>
>>2427504
Adam Hughes uses Strathmore Drawing paper. Apparently it absorbs the marker well and doesn't bleed much.
>>
>>2444632
Amazon.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.