[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think I've burned myself out. I've drawn hundreds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
I think I've burned myself out. I've drawn hundreds of boxes and constructed hundreds of heads. In short how do I get back into studying? I sit down with pencil and paper and I am blank. It hurts on the inside because my passion is there. My motivation is not.
>>
>>2422468
You need a project maybe, when I get pissed off or bored of studying or struggle to pick a study topic I work on my comic or my monthly themed drawings , you should probably be 50-50 between study and finished pieces time wise otherwise why study?
>>
find what you love and draw it. Let that lead you towards a larger project
>>
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 1600x1134) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 1600x1134
>>2422468
I understand what you mean, I have a personal sketchbook I put drawings in. Almost like a project, perhaps I should dedicate myself to a comic. It's what I've been working towards. How did you get started? I think I need to read more.

>>2422486
I love moebius, his work that is. I love comic art and environmental drawings. Pic related.
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 696x932) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 696x932
>>2422486
I also love drawing people, especially my loved ones, it always seems to be studies that aren't good enough though. Rather than actual projects I'm proud of.
>>
File: image.jpg (211 KB, 896x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
211 KB, 896x1200
This is "one of my better drawings" according to people.
>>
Loomis
>>
>I've drawn hundreds of boxes and constructed hundreds of heads

Stop doing that. Forcing yourself to draw nothing but shapes all day will make you hate drawing and kill your creativity. It's fine to study, but you have to enjoy drawing as well. Like other people have said, draw what you love. Get your imagination going.
>>
>>2422558
I don't have the skill to draw what I love
>>
>>2422930
unless you love boxes and heads then you never will only doing boxes and heads mindlessly

you do exercises to improve fundamentals, but think about it this way

pro basketball players do dribbling and layup exercises right? but they didn't only do that until they were pro level - they played fucking basketball.

so draw what you want, or try to. it'll be shit, you'll feel bad. but then you can see where you need to improve and do exercises relevant to that. basic construction? perspective? composition? you can figure out where you need to improve and then do exercises tailored to that
>>
>>2422935
Thanks anon
>>
>>2422935
I like this analogy. This helped me out as well.
I'm doing a lot of studies, granted, I'm not really burning out, but I do feel like shit at times simply because I avoid drawing what I like for so long. Granted, I'm sure it'll get my closer to my goal, but still...
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.