[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, this is a wip but I'm saying the background is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: burning.jpg (230 KB, 793x454) Image search: [Google]
burning.jpg
230 KB, 793x454
Hey guys, this is a wip but I'm saying the background is done and is at a professional entry level. Before I move onto the main guy which is just a silhouette right now, do you guys think the background is finished and at a good level of polish too?
>>
You'polished it too much. It's gunna look cheesy.
>>
>>2421892
Background looks only marginally more polished than a basic block-in. I wouldn't call that finished yet.

>Before I move onto the main guy which is just a silhouette right now
This is my biggest issue right now. Did you do value and color thumbnails to figure out how the figure will work against the background before you went and painted all that background? Do you know if your composition will work, your values and colors will work, and that everything important reads well?

I can say right now that I'm not liking the composition. You can practically draw a line right down the middle and you have two separate paintings, a dragon on the right and a scene on the left. Reminds me of those LoL splash screens. Those tend to have a very pre-packaged composition that's just too formulaic. Those types of compositions with the character on the far right and a vast, empty environment on the left might work as a desktop wallpaper, but not much else.
>>
>>2421903
I didn't do thumbnails, only a rough sketch. But I was going for a splash screen. Sort of like those promotional posters for online games. I want this in my portfolio so it needs to be as professional as I can make it. I don't like these kinds of things much either but if it works then I will do it. I will work on it some more then and see.
>>
>>2421896
But if I keep it rough it will look unfinished man
>>
>>2421892
>the background is done and is at a professional entry level

no man. not at all. you might be able to find some professionals who paint at that level (because the industry is retardedly random and cocksucking is more important than having skills) but by any legit standard that should not be considered professional entry level.
>>
>>2421915
>I didn't do thumbnails, only a rough sketch. But I was going for a splash screen.
In that case I'd copy the file and shrink it down to thumbnail size. Maybe place 10 or so copies of them in a grid with a little bit of 50% gray in between for breathing room. Change some to black and white. Go ham on each, change the background up and include what values/colors you'll use on the figure. Iterate on the best one until you have a complete working composition. Use that as your guide for the block-in of the figure.

Right now you might find it difficult to plant the figure, have it integrated with the environment, but still read well from afar. Your current background just as a ton of dark, medium and light splotches without a ton of hierarchy. Use the thumbnails as your chance to loosely plan things out without being too exact over the drawing.
>>
>>2421915
>I didn't do thumbnails

You should ALWAYS be doing thumbnails, lots of them. Try out different perspectives, different buildings, make sure the shape and pose of the monster is worked out and how it fits onto the page. Do 10 sketches, pick the best 3 take those and do tonal and color studies to make sure the basics are worked out and everything looks good then pick the best and start the final drawing/painting.

Unless you've been doing this a long time it's going to be difficult to draw a sketch for something with no planning and then go straight to paint with out running into a massive problem that'll make the painting look like shit. Every company you want to work with is going to expect thumbnails/sketches for a piece before they approve it so you might as well get used to it now.

And the background isn't "at a professional entry level", you don't even have fucken windows on the buildings or anything going on in the background. No moon? Clouds? Stars? It's just a black mass. All the fire is at the same brightness, the buildings abruptly end on the lefthand side, not variation in the buildings sizes/shape. It looks hastily/sloppily painted.You're just slapping shit together and not taking your time to work everything out. You should be spending lots of time on your personal work while you can, take the time to push the work since you don't have a deadline. It looks like you need a better drawing before you start going to paint.

Also draw the monster out in your sketchbook first before you start the painting, try out different designs and shapes. Get some ref for wings and shit to study so you understand how they work. Making paintings isn't just about going straight to the painting part.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.