[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you were to start a webcomic, would you upload weekly/bi-weekly,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_lznqwfrwff1qe5uqeo1_1280.jpg (91 KB, 728x1124) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lznqwfrwff1qe5uqeo1_1280.jpg
91 KB, 728x1124
If you were to start a webcomic, would you upload weekly/bi-weekly, or would you upload batches of pages all at once? I feel like the former gives you more exposure, but the latter makes for a better reading experience, and I was wondering /ic/'s thoughts!

Also, does /ic/ recommend any comics? Picture, uh, unrelated, haha.
>>
>>2421675
There's a comic thread already. Also, most webcomic creators upload one page at a time. Some do it once a week, some bi-weekly and there's one who uploads a page a day from Monday to Friday (with pretty good art as well0
Which one are you most comfortable with? If it were up to me I'd upload a bunch of pages or a chapter at a time rather than page by page.
>Also, does /ic/ recommend any comics?
I've been reading these:
http://www.sssscomic.com/index.php
http://www.minnasundberg.fi/comicindex.php
Those two (^) are by the same person
http://www.lostnightmare.com/about
http://www.praguerace.com/
>>
>>2421675
You definitely want to have a regular upload schedule, doesn't matter if it's once a week or bi-weekly or even 3 times a week, just have a schedule and stick with it. You want your audience to form a habit to come back to your webcomic every week whenever it updates. That's how you get people invested and best case scenario, they start talking about your webcomic, discussing what's going to happen next week etc.

Uploading webcomics chapter by chapter is usually a bad idea, because most people will simply forget about it between one batch of pages and the next. Unless of course you can go full mangaka mode and work 13 hours a day to consistently upload a finished chapter each week.
>>
>>2421675
Hey dude you should really read Christ-chan
>>
>>2421747
i stopped following prague race, fjordson, whomp and fanboys because they upload one page at a time. i prefer whole chapters at once its annoying if the to wait days to follow a continuity
>>
>>2421808
You're in the minority then. The vast majority of people who follow webcomics do so because it becomes a weekly habit for them. Especially gag or SoL webcomics with very little story who often times don't even have real chapters.

Your waiting time will effectively be the same anyway, just instead of waiting on a week to week basis for say 2 pages, you'd be waiting on a month to month basis for 8 pages and it's just a matter of fact that the longer you make people wait for new updates, the more likely it is for them to lose interest.
>>
If I started a webcomic the expectation is terrible artwork from the readers anyway. So even if I half-assed it and didn't fix all my errors to make things to my liking I'd still be able to crank out pages with better art than the majority of currently running webcomics. So I'd just throw pages up as soon as they're finished every day or two.

The real problem with making a webcomic with frequent updates would be the writing aspect. You can stare at a blank page for a week with nothing, or just a plethora of one shitty idea after the next, which would ultimately delay your comic much more than the art aspect ever would. The art is, for the most part, the most consistent thing for the creator. If I can draw a decent circle one day I'm not gonna wake up the next and start making lumpy ovals, but that's the way it is with ideas.

So considering all of that I'd probably update by chapter, or story arc. That way when the readers do get an update they get enough to think about and connect with the characters instead of 1 page of a story they'll probably forget about or have to re-read by the time the next part comes out.

If your comic were a joke series without a connected story and just joke to joke that happens to keep the same characters like a sunday morning newspaper strip. Just throw that shit out when it's done, or... I guess you could also keep them piling up if you make them quickly so that you can release the backlog while you're thinking of new jokes and keep things very consistent week to week/month to month.
>>
A 20 page chapter a week is the only option.
>>
File: rly?.jpg (170 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
rly?.jpg
170 KB, 800x800
>>2421769

kill yourself

Check out tapastic OP
>>
>>2421994
>tapastic
Do people really use tapastic tho? What are the benefits versus a sight with more traffic like tumblr? I always found it kind of obnoxious when I'm trying to read something new and a "SUPPORT THE ARTIST" banner comes up that I click through, I wouldn't want to scare off new readers like that.
>>
You make a load of pages initially and then slowly post them. It's called a buffer and gives you breathing room for when you fuck up and are late with a page.
>>
File: devilman_v01c03_p118.jpg (101 KB, 728x1131) Image search: [Google]
devilman_v01c03_p118.jpg
101 KB, 728x1131
man, such a badass
>>
>>2422102
I've never used it, but looking at the site, first it'd be UI, second it'd be coverage. You're far more likely to readers faster, but there's a lower limit on there to how many. My solution? add a follow me page at the end of each of your chappers.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.