[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is art over? People will now be able to manipulate 2D images
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
Is art over? People will now be able to manipulate 2D images as if they were 3D.

http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/2016/2/a-3d-twist-for-flat-photos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMeBvrG9Uyo

American Scientist is not a pleb's publication so forgive me if this is too difficult for some of you to read, I can translate it for you if you need.
>>
>>2414279
>American Scientist is not a pleb's publication
lmao, it's practically a rag compared to journal article reviews.

oh wait this is /ic/, nm
>>
File: 1453868297324.png (134 KB, 272x232) Image search: [Google]
1453868297324.png
134 KB, 272x232
>>2414279
That's pretty interesting. However, it can't create anything new, it only manipulates what's already there. And what's more, the object's geometry and hidden texture are determined from a database -- meaning that if something isn't fully 3D modelled beforehand, it wont work.
>>
>>2414279

That indian bitch is fooling no one with her fake british accent.
>>
>>2414279
These threads are never going to end are they?

Come back when someone invents a device that can paint stuff directly from your mind on a computer.
>>
>>2414299

That could make for an comics that people could make out of a few pre-rendered environments. I don't think it needs to be 3D modelled also. It is able to generate a 3D version of any object in a photo based on what it is able to see.

>>2414296

Compared to Scientific American or New Scientist, or even the worst of the worst, Popular Science, it's pretty high-level stuff.
>>
>>2414335
that would be interesting too but it still wouldn't replace artistry
you would need to be an amazing artist, visualization and meditation master for that to work as well as a master painter
>>
>>2414334
not sure if serious or retarded...
>>
File: trutututu.jpg (36 KB, 599x476) Image search: [Google]
trutututu.jpg
36 KB, 599x476
>>2414279
>publicly available free stock models
I-it's the end, we are so doomed
I'm not sure how can we even compete with this using our petty powers to produce stuff for which you won't find >free >stock >model replacements
>>
it's worthless. You'd need the exact same model as is in your photo.

You've been able to do this for years, in any 3d package; it's just compositing.
>>
>>2414279
No.

That said, this isn't even as good as that other program that determines the 3D shape of things in 2D images so you can manipulate them.
>>
>>2414337
>Scientific American
oh shit never mind I confused the two.
>>
>>2414279
>having jeb as a brother

no wonder he drank. jesus
>>
>>2414279
wow, yet another software that is totally going to kill art. sorry noobie, but you won't see the end of professional art as we know it in your lifetime, no matter how much you want to, because you yourself are a failed, bitter artist.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.